Analysis Collingwood Almanac 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an interesting development with Michael Talia.

He is a young player, and as a young key position player on the rise. I would be very open to making a trade for him if we believe he can become a best 22 player and either our number one or number two key defender.

He has become more offensively aggressive this year and has taken a lot more intercept marks. So I do very much like the way his game is tracking as one of the better young key defenders with scope for further strong improvement over the coming seasons.

I agree Talia would be a really good fit for us. I expect he will attract a fair bit of interest from a number of clubs though. Seems as though we will have a spare second rounder with Freeman going, not sure if that gets the jobs done?

I agree Talia would be a really good fit for us. I expect he will attract a fair bit of interest from a number of clubs though. Seems as though we will have a spare second rounder with Freeman going, not sure if that gets the jobs done?

In a shallow and weaker than average draft I don't anticipate it would be enough, with other clubs sure to offer more.

Nathan Freeman if he was open to WBD though maybe would be roughly around the currency Talia may attract.

In a shallow and weaker than average draft I don't anticipate it would be enough, with other clubs sure to offer more.

Nathan Freeman if he was open to WBD though maybe would be roughly around the currency Talia may attract.
And who may be our next possible top finisher in the brownlow.
Except for the twosome of Swan and Pendlebury to me i think Treloar could be a high voter.
Unsure who else, maybe Moore or De Goey if they do on ball work.
Moore is interesting as now medal is a middle field benefit, but Moore most likely for father son winner.

And who may be our next possible top finisher in the brownlow.
Except for the twosome of Swan and Pendlebury to me i think Treloar could be a high voter.
Unsure who else, maybe Moore or De Goey if they do on ball work.
Moore is interesting as now medal is a middle field benefit, but Moore most likely for father son winner.

I'd back De Goey to be our top finisher post-Pendlebury and be that player on our list with the greatest possible chance at winning a Brownlow at some point.

Brownlow votes are very heavily slanted towards inside mids and more specifically pure contested ball winners as De Goey is. So of the next generation he would be my bet even over Treloar.

Moore regardless of his fathers accomplishments I don't see as being Brownlow relevant. Based on position. Roles he may play. He could even rotate into the midfield in a Roughead like role and still wouldn't score enough votes.

It's really a best midfielder award and it long has been with midfielders and onballers more specifically what umpires are in the most part watching as the players around the ball the most, and those players they are adjudicating in more plays than anyone else.

I'd back De Goey to be our top finisher post-Pendlebury and be that player on our list with the greatest possible chance at winning a Brownlow at some point.

Brownlow votes are very heavily slanted towards inside mids and more specifically pure contested ball winners as De Goey is. So of the next generation he would be my bet even over Treloar.

Moore regardless of his fathers accomplishments I don't see as being Brownlow relevant. Based on position. Roles he may play. He could even rotate into the midfield in a Roughead like role and still wouldn't score enough votes.

It's really a best midfielder award and it long has been with midfielders and onballers more specifically what umpires are in the most part watching as the players around the ball the most, and those players they are adjudicating in more plays than anyone else.

Just on JDG what are your general thoughts on his ability to become an in/ out mid? Because of the way he hunts the ball my chief concern is that it might rob him of some effectiveness, but for the long term health of the team it might be most beneficial.

I'm sure you would have noticed the make up of the coaches AA team with there not being an outside spot to be had. Looking at our recent drafting, past work of Rendell at Adelaide and preparedness to release Seedsman I can't help but think that if you can't win your own ball you aren't being recruited to Collingwood.

I'm becoming big on us working to get a presence back in the top 20 via the Freeman compensation to find forward talent (KP or otherwise) the thing is I can't help wondering if the opportunity presents itself whether Dunkley should be high on our draft board. With him coming in to shore up our inside stocks and overtaking Greenwood long term it leaves us with a very good finals balance, IMO, as follows:

Pendles: in-out
JDG: in-out
Crisp: in-out
Treloar: in-out
Adams: inside
Greenwood: inside
Dunkley: inside
Sidebottom: outside (can win his own)
Broomhead: outside (can win his own)

Whats your leaning with the mix moving forward? JDG in the role above or on the inside and we look for a Milera or Clarke on the outside if the opportunity presents itself?

Just on JDG what are your general thoughts on his ability to become an in/ out mid? Because of the way he hunts the ball my chief concern is that it might rob him of some effectiveness, but for the long term health of the team it might be most beneficial.

I'm sure you would have noticed the make up of the coaches AA team with there not being an outside spot to be had. Looking at our recent drafting, past work of Rendell at Adelaide and preparedness to release Seedsman I can't help but think that if you can't win your own ball you aren't being recruited to Collingwood.

I'm becoming big on us working to get a presence back in the top 20 via the Freeman compensation to find forward talent (KP or otherwise) the thing is I can't help wondering if the opportunity presents itself whether Dunkley should be high on our draft board. With him coming in to shore up our inside stocks and overtaking Greenwood long term it leaves us with a very good finals balance, IMO, as follows:

Whats your leaning with the mix moving forward? JDG in the role above or on the inside and we look for a Milera or Clarke on the outside if the opportunity presents itself?

I hope the club takes a risk on his knee and works a deal to get Jeager Omeara to the club.
He reportedly want to move to Vic (not sure why when hes from WA ) and if we can get him right will be a gun for many years.

KM
Im sure you are right with Darcy and Brownlow possiblility. But i do like quirky things like father son etc.
Anyway it will hopefully be a few wonderful yetas to come, a building list going where we al want, to the top.
Much to be done but id give up 100 brownlows for one flag.

I anticipate De Goey remains very predominantly inside and continues winning a high % of contested ball v uncontested ball. It's just his game and likely remains the same. Maybe late career as we saw a bit more with Dangerfield this year, maybe later on he can start to add an outside balance to his game. But for me my priority is seeing De Goey become an out and out dominant inside player and second to that probably add some more ability forward of centre as those areas I see in his game most developable and most critical to him becoming a dominant player at AFL level.

I expect you're right about Collingwood looking to add contested ball winners. Rendell at Adelaide made that a priority - and had great results doing it with contested ball winning ability something that transfers as well as anything and pretty consistently to AFL level. So it will always be a big theme in our list builds I can only imagine.

Regarding Dunkley it will depend on the picks we have. Presumably we move our first round selection to GWS. And it's unclear what that would leave us with. Sydney assuming he nominates them will be able to get there anyway. But I'm personally seeing a few others I'd like more as pure inside types. This year other than Hopper who is linked to the GWS academy, I feel Clayton Oliver has this season surpassed Dunkley.

All the talk from Nathan is that we will look for some more outside polish and with the loss of Seedsman presumably outside run. So those will be the offseason priorities. Just within those types I expect we probably go with players who also have the ability to win their own ball - such as Broomhead as one example where he has the outside elements to his game but then also can win his own ball. Can Clarke and Milera fit that category so they could be two considerations if available in the second round at one of our selections.

KM
Im sure you are right with Darcy and Brownlow possiblility. But i do like quirky things like father son etc.
Anyway it will hopefully be a few wonderful yetas to come, a building list going where we al want, to the top.
Much to be done but id give up 100 brownlows for one flag.

Likewise (regarding Brownlows v flags).

I have no interest in the brownlow. Never watch it and generally find out the winner the following day.

I find it's more a night that gets the women interested in footy more so with the fashion side of it and the formal nature of the event.

It's good for the AFL certainly with the attention it gains.

Just as a footy fan. Seeing AFL as a team game. I just don't have any particular interest in individual awards.

Whereas flags on the other hand. As footballers, that's what they're playing for and putting in all the hard work for. So that's the end goal rather than an individual award.

I hope the club takes a risk on his knee and works a deal to get Jeager Omeara to the club.
He reportedly want to move to Vic (not sure why when hes from WA ) and if we can get him right will be a gun for many years.

O'Meara would be a great get.

But unclear what we could give given the likely deal for Treloar.

Oh mighty KM, hear my call...

Thoughts on Tomlinson from GWS? His name was thrown up in the trade thread.

Tomlinson is an interesting and fairly unique tall. Great endurance and can play a bit of anywhere and finds the footy at will. Maybe he can become a centre half back.

I wouldn't say no if he was a part of the Treloar deal but I probably wouldn't be willing to pay what GWS would want personally and his lack of a best position where he really stands out concerns me.

I've gone through a fairly extensive update of my page one posts.

The major changes are that I've added a draft recommendations section and have heavily gone through trade possibilities with a particular focus on those I recommend.

I've gone through a fairly extensive update of my page one posts.

The major changes are that I've added a draft recommendations section and have heavily gone through trade possibilities with a particular focus on those I recommend.
Would love Milera. In your view is he likely to get to our 2nd round pick?

Would love Milera. In your view is he likely to get to our 2nd round pick?

Milera is an exciting talent. He is possibly but not certainly available type.

It's possible he ends up a top 20 selection. Or he could end up somewhere in the 20s or even push out to 30.

I'd say possible and a 50/50 chance so be prepared for both scenarios and know where he fits on your draft board/power rankings v the other talents who may be available.

Milera is someone I can definitely see us considering. He not only has the talent but critically the production and has been playing in the most part at SANFL League level which is pretty great experience at this early stage.

He could be a fit on a forward flank and as a rotational midfielder.

Knightmare you said something earlier about overated and underrated talents in the draft.

How to players ratings become skewed like that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liked reading your posts, very extensive and informative.
A great way to piece together the whole show so to speak.
Glad you have noted how good Ben Hart has bern going with basically building a terrific backline depth of talent.

Once our new draft picks come in i'll look forward to seeing your comments.

I do like the rule of trading "they must be obvious top 22 players"

Knightmare you said something earlier about overated and underrated talents in the draft.

How to players ratings become skewed like that?

I'm not sure of the comment you're referring to.

But with the draft all recruiters will piece together their top 50 power rankings and some kind of phantom draft guessing where players will land. And based on your power rankings you'll one way or another that any number of players will either be overrated or underrated.

Opinions on talent will vary based on what you value. Capiron, Coughlan, Phillips, C.Jansen and Answerth to name some names I personally rate due to the quality of performances throughout the season. Others may just put a line through them because they are a year older or they may not feel that have a required x-factor or whatever it is they value.
Just as some recruiters such as Hine and Rendell will place a heavier weighting on guys who can win contested footy whereas Hawthorn recruiters place a heavier weighting on guys who can do something by foot.
And with those differing values that's where much of the variation will come from.

Really liked reading your posts, very extensive and informative.
A great way to piece together the whole show so to speak.
Glad you have noted how good Ben Hart has bern going with basically building a terrific backline depth of talent.

Once our new draft picks come in i'll look forward to seeing your comments.

I do like the rule of trading "they must be obvious top 22 players"

I've these past two seasons really come to appreciate what Hart has been able to achieve with our backline. It's incredible how deep we are. We have as key defenders: Brown, Frost, Reid, Moore, Marsh and Keeffe. And as medium/smalls: Williams, Scharenberg, Langdon, Maynard, Oxley, Seedsman, Toovey, Goldsack, Sinclair, Ramsay. And really any of those names can be played in the 1s and we're not overly worried. It's made even more impressive when considering how young these guys are with generally veteran back halves who have spent years together - such as those old Geelong and recent Hawthorn back halves. And then from a what they can do standpoint, they're all adding consistently to their games. The majority of these were not early draft selections either. So I give Hart a big tick for completing his role so strongly.

It will be interesting to see how we draft. Nathan Buckley has mentioned through his press conferences that we are looking to add more class and polish. So maybe some of that and some pace may be the general theme by type we select. Of my recommended names Daniel Capiron, Tom Phillips and Christopher Jansen all would be great fits for that late/rookie draft outside piece that historically has been available and obtainable.

The best 22 and even more specifically best 15 rule I feel strongly would serve Collingwood well. We've had so many years adding depth talent from opposition lists - Patrick Karnezis, Jesse White, Tony Armstrong, Jordan Russell, Simon Buckley, Anthony Corrie. It just doesn't do anything towards winning premierships. Last year as mentioned was a step in the right direction, and that's because Greenwood, Varcoe and Crisp all performed to a best 15 on list standard last year which made them worthwhile recruiting choices. And all future players recruited similarly need to achieve that best 15 on list standard of performance to reasonably be deemed successful recruiting choices.

I'm fine if we're moving our own depth players for picks or established clear best 22 players as it appears we are doing, just as long as we're not taking on the next clubs depth players.

I'm not sure of the comment you're referring to.

But with the draft all recruiters will piece together their top 50 power rankings and some kind of phantom draft guessing where players will land. And based on your power rankings you'll one way or another that any number of players will either be overrated or underrated.

Opinions on talent will vary based on what you value. Capiron, Coughlan, Phillips, C.Jansen and Answerth to name some names I personally rate due to the quality of performances throughout the season. Others may just put a line through them because they are a year older or they may not feel that have a required x-factor or whatever it is they value.
Just as some recruiters such as Hine and Rendell will place a heavier weighting on guys who can win contested footy whereas Hawthorn recruiters place a heavier weighting on guys who can do something by foot.
And with those differing values that's where much of the variation will come from.

I've these past two seasons really come to appreciate what Hart has been able to achieve with our backline. It's incredible how deep we are. We have as key defenders: Brown, Frost, Reid, Moore, Marsh and Keeffe. And as medium/smalls: Williams, Scharenberg, Langdon, Maynard, Oxley, Seedsman, Toovey, Goldsack, Sinclair, Ramsay. And really any of those names can be played in the 1s and we're not overly worried. It's made even more impressive when considering how young these guys are with generally veteran back halves who have spent years together - such as those old Geelong and recent Hawthorn back halves. And then from a what they can do standpoint, they're all adding consistently to their games. The majority of these were not early draft selections either. So I give Hart a big tick for completing his role so strongly.

It will be interesting to see how we draft. Nathan Buckley has mentioned through his press conferences that we are looking to add more class and polish. So maybe some of that and some pace may be the general theme by type we select. Of my recommended names Daniel Capiron, Tom Phillips and Christopher Jansen all would be great fits for that late/rookie draft outside piece that historically has been available and obtainable.

The best 22 and even more specifically best 15 rule I feel strongly would serve Collingwood well. We've had so many years adding depth talent from opposition lists - Patrick Karnezis, Jesse White, Tony Armstrong, Jordan Russell, Simon Buckley, Anthony Corrie. It just doesn't do anything towards winning premierships. Last year as mentioned was a step in the right direction, and that's because Greenwood, Varcoe and Crisp all performed to a best 15 on list standard last year which made them worthwhile recruiting choices. And all future players recruited similarly need to achieve that best 15 on list standard of performance to reasonably be deemed successful recruiting choices.

I'm fine if we're moving our own depth players for picks or established clear best 22 players as it appears we are doing, just as long as we're not taking on the next clubs depth players.
Thats a fine rule, I've never quite thought of it that way. now i will only look at players from other clubs if they are clear best 20 etc. otherwise its just wasting list space.
Oh, the best part about our back men group is that the older players Toovey, Goldsack , Macaffer look to be in huge danger of being out by the development of the younger ones.

Thats a fine rule, I've never quite thought of it that way. now i will only look at players from other clubs if they are clear best 20 etc. otherwise its just wasting list space.
Oh, the best part about our back men group is that the older players Toovey, Goldsack , Macaffer look to be in huge danger of being out by the development of the younger ones.
Jack Crisp wasn't clear best 20 but I am bloody stoked we got him.

I Didnt have that rule then, lol,but he is a beautytoo.
Loves pugs as well

Regarding our older players I'm with you on the now older players and with all of Toovey, Goldsack and on a stronger level again with Macaffer I have conceded already that they will be passed by if they have not been already.

Macaffer I just don't anywhere see a role for. As taggers/run with players Greenwood and Crisp do that already. Up forward he doesn't provide the scoreboard impact he needs to, to be relevant and down back on talent he is too far behind other options.

Toovey and Goldsack both still are clear AFL standard players but with the development of: Williams, Langdon, Scharenberg, Maynard and then Marsh who may be used as either a medium defender or key defender. I'd want all five of them playing every week in the seniors. And with those five, there no longer is room for Toovey or Goldsack as regulars in the seniors if that group can remain healthy.

It's a great situation to be in, and we can only hope it has that 2010 type of feel where the young guys all collectively take that next step and accelerate past those veteran talents. Because the talent and performance for all of Williams, Langdon, Scharenberg, Maynard and Marsh is certainly there.

On performance in 2015 you didn't have Crisp in your best 15?

I had him on performance inside my best 10 for the season. Not that there was great competition for a position inside that best 10 with few stars evident last season.

On performance in 2015 you didn't have Crisp in your best 15?

I had him on performance inside my best 10 for the season. Not that there was great competition for a position inside that best 10 with few stars evident last season.
In 2015 I had him top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5. He was my favorite player last year. But in 2014 when we got him in the Beams trade I didn't think he'd be best 22.

I was replying to this
now i will only look at players from other clubs if they are clear best 20 etc. otherwise its just wasting list space.
IMO we wouldn't have gotten Crisp if we were only looking at players from other clubs that are clear best 22, because he wasn't clear best 22 at the time we got him. Obviously he is now.

In 2015 I had him top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5. He was my favorite player last year. But in 2014 when we got him in the Beams trade I didn't think he'd be best 22.

I was replying to this

IMO we wouldn't have gotten Crisp if we were only looking at players from other clubs that are clear best 22, because he wasn't clear best 22 at the time we got him. Obviously he is now.

I'd definitely agree with Crisp not projecting to be a best 15 on list standard player. And Greenwood and Varcoe I would have similarly was unsure of. With Greenwood the only player I felt realistically could achieve that type of list standing given how strong his 2014 season was.

It would be interesting to know whether Collingwood had any idea particularly with Varcoe and Crisp that they would have such strong seasons.

Gaining instant best 15 on list standard players via trades is what helps you win. Just as Luke Ball and Darren Jolly as clear best 10 players on our list helped us to a premiership. And all those Lake, Burgoyne and similar additions half helped Hawthorn win.

From now that focus just needs to be completely on continuing to gain those best 15 on list standard players. Because depth, we can find depth in our sleep through the draft in the form of young players with scope to develop into best 22 players. It's just identifying and acquiring those high level difference makers that are all the difference and the more challenging players to add.

As something of an extra unrelated post not related so specially to this thread. In the spirit of trade week, with the trade period fast approaching I thought I'd share a link to this thread: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-trade-and-list-management-game.1112308/

It's a trade game that I'm participating in as the Collingwood list manager in competition with in the most part the draft experts of the draft and trading board as well as some other wanna be list managers that have been identified. Taking a look at many of these trades completed from this thread and the names being thrown around may give some people some trade ideas and give some people a rough feel for what some Collingwood and players of other teams may be worth.

We have just completed the trade period in our game and following the draft period and going into the draft I as Collingwood list manager have a list of:

Senior list delist: Sam Dwyer, Brent Macaffer, Jesse White, Clinton Young, Lachlan Keeffe, Josh Thomas, Patrick Karnezis.
Rookie delist: Tony Armstrong, Corey Gault, Michael Manteit.

Leaving a list of:
1. Alex Fasolo
2. Patrick Dangerfield
3. Tom Hawkins

4. Brodie Grundy
5. Jamie Elliott
6. Tyson Goldsack
7. Lindsay Thomas
8. Tom Langdon
9. Brendon Goddard
10. Scott Pendlebury
11. Jarryd Blair
12. Matthew Scharenberg
15. Jarrod Witts
16. Nathan Brown
17. Jonathon Marsh
18. Travis Varcoe
19. Levi Greenwood
22. Steele Sidebottom
25. Jack Crisp
26. Marley Williams
28. Ben Sinclair
29. Tim Broomhead
30. Darcy Moore
31. Jackson Ramsay
32. Travis Cloke
33. Reece Conca
34. Alan Toovey
35. Jordan De Goey
36. Dane Swan
37. Brayden Maynard
38. Matthew Goodyear
40. Aaron Young
43. Adam Oxley

List total numbers:
SNR list: (33/40)
Rookie list: Brenden Abbott (1/4)
Cat 2 rookie: Mason Cox (1/4)

---
As for player availability from a trading perspective:

Completely untouchables: Scott Pendlebury, Patrick Dangerfield, Brodie Grundy, Travis Cloke, Tom Hawkins, Darcy Moore, Jordan De Goey, Steele Sidebottom, Dane Swan, Brendon Goddard, Jamie Elliott, Marley Williams.

Available 1: Tom Langdon, Matthew Scharenberg, Brayden Maynard, Tim Broomhead, Jarrod Witts, Jonathon Marsh, Mason Cox, Nathan Brown, Jack Crisp, Levi Greenwood, Travis Varcoe, Lindsay Thomas, Alex Fasolo, Adam Oxley, Alan Toovey, Tyson Goldsack, Reece Conca, Aaron Young, Jarryd Blair, Jackson Ramsay, Ben Sinclair, Brenden Abbott.
Details: Available only as potential components to deals if it's a big name.

Available 2: Matthew Goodyear, Corey Gault, Jesse White, Lachlan Keeffe, Josh Thomas, Brent Macaffer, Sam Dwyer.
Details: Can be had for as little as a small pick upgrade or an end of draft selection.

Retired: Patrick Karnezis.
As good as not returning to the AFL: Clinton Young, Michael Manteit, Tony Armstrong.

Draft selections (2015): 45, 50, 62 etc all available for the right price.
(2016): North Melbourne 1st round selection, North Melbourne 2nd round selection, Collingwood 2nd round selection

--
My preferred best 22:
B: Brayden Maynard Nathan Brown Marley Williams
HB: Tom Langdon Jonathon Marsh Brendon Goddard
CEN: Steele Sidebottom Scott Pendlebury Travis Varcoe
HF: Levi Greenwood Travis Cloke Jack Crisp
F: Lindsay Thomas Tom Hawkins Jamie Elliott
FOLL: Brodie Grundy Patrick Dangerfield Dane Swan
BENCH: Jarrod Witts Alex Fasolo Jordan De Goey Matthew Scharenberg

--
Confirmed trades:
Trade #1
In: Patrick Dangerfield
Out: Taylor Adams, Ben Reid, Paul Seedsman

Trade #2
IN: Aaron Young and pick 31.
OUT: Ben Kennedy and pick 44.

Trade #3
IN: Tom Hawkins, Pick 45
OUT: Pick 10, 2016 first round pick (7)

Trade #4
IN: Lindsay Thomas, North Melbourne 2016 first round selection (15), North Melbourne 2016 second round selection (33), North Melbourne 2015 third round selection (50)
OUT: Jack Frost, Nathan Freeman

Trade #5
IN: Reece Conca
OUT: Pick 31

Trade #6
IN: Brendon Goddard
OUT: Pick 28

He would feel right at home at Collingwood as a contributor to our yearly quota of serious leg injuries. We are not the sort of club that should intentionally risk taking on spoiled goods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back