Collingwood announce $10 million sponsorship with Emirates

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...th-10-million-sponsorship-20140320-hvkum.html

The Emirates deal will help Collingwood top $20 million in combined sponsorship and merchandise revenue for the 2014 season, a feat only previously achieved by Essendon and Richmond in the AFL.

Last year, AFL premier Hawthorn banked $19 million in sponsorship and merchandise revenue, Essendon earned $20.1 million and Richmond led the AFL with $22.9 million - more than half the Tigers' total revenue of $44.8 million.

At the other end of the AFL rich list, St Kilda is still trying to secure a top-level sponsor.

Advertisement
Such is the divergence in revenue that some of the AFL’s richest clubs could earn more from sponsorship and merchandise than St Kilda, Melbourne and North Melbourne combined.

The Saints earned just $6.4 million from sponsorships and merchandise sales last season. Melbourne’s combined total was $7.1 million and North Melbourne’s $8.8 million.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...sponsorship-20140320-hvkum.html#ixzz2wUrUTKHG

2013 Sponsorship figures from Annual Reports
  • Collingwood - 19.65 million (includes merch.) up from 19.1 million
  • Geelong - 17.04 million, up from 15.69 million
  • Essendon - 16.84 million, up from 15.92 million
  • Hawthorn - 15.22 million, up from 15.08 million
  • Carlton - 12.27 million, down from 12.5 million
  • Brisbane - 11.25 million (down from 11.7 million)
  • Greater Western Sydney - 9.19 million (up from 7.7 million)
  • Adelaide - 8.86 million, down from 10.55 million
  • West Coast - 7.65 million, up from 7.0 million
  • North Melbourne - 7.61 million (up from 7.26 million)
  • Melbourne - 6.36 million, down from 8.29 million
  • St Kilda - 5.16 million, down from 6.71 million
  • Fremantle - 4.35 million, up from 3.911 million

I would be not be suprised if the WCE, Essendon, Freo, and in the next couple of years Richmond match this. ( 2 million a year )

You can add the tigers 22.9m figure too.

yeah Im not going to do that - have done that in the club annual reports thread already - as I personally dont believe that figure represents the true amount of actual sponsorship, and I believe it incorporates your membership and reserved seating income.

Richmond football club lists the following as income in its 2013 annual report:

Football $15,565,970
Sponsorship and marketing $22,932,553
Gaming and social $5,549,920
Interest received $74,540
Jack Dyer Foundation contributions $725,100
Total revenue from operating activities $44,848,083

Football income would appear to consist of at 12.8 million from the AFL (according to the AFLs annual report) with the rest reasonably assumed to be match returns and gate receipts - in my opinion.

This means Richmonds membership and reserved seating revenue - calculated at almost 8.6 million (based on expenditures in the annual report and net revenue from tigers officials) MUST be included in the sponsorship and marketing section of the report, since no other section is big enough to take that amount. This would bring the sponsorship figures down to about 14.3 million.

Im always happy to stand corrected though.

yeah Im not going to do that - have done that in the club annual reports thread already - as I personally dont believe that figure represents the true amount of actual sponsorship, and I believe it incorporates your membership and reserved seating income.

Richmond football club lists the following as income in its 2013 annual report:

Football $15,565,970
Sponsorship and marketing $22,932,553
Gaming and social $5,549,920
Interest received $74,540
Jack Dyer Foundation contributions $725,100
Total revenue from operating activities $44,848,083

Football income would appear to consist of at 12.8 million from the AFL (according to the AFLs annual report) with the rest reasonably assumed to be match returns and gate receipts - in my opinion.

This means Richmonds membership and reserved seating revenue - calculated at almost 8.6 million (based on expenditures in the annual report and net revenue from tigers officials) MUST be included in the sponsorship and marketing section of the report, since no other section is big enough to take that amount. This would bring the sponsorship figures down to about 14.3 million.

Im always happy to stand corrected though.
Well I wouldn't know exactly( and I take either do you really) but if its at 14.3 mill why haven't you put us at that figure with the other clubs in the OP? If that is what you believe but it does seem logical? I will see if I can find this out too.

Well I wouldn't know exactly( and I take either do you really) but if its at 14.3 mill why haven't you put us at that figure with the other clubs in the OP? If that is what you believe but it does seem logical? I will see if I can find this out too.

because i have no way of confirming it, and i only took the time to work it out last night. In any case, the figures posted after were a guide. the thread isnt about Richmond.

because i have no way of confirming it, and i only took the time to work it out last night. In any case, the figures posted after were a guide. the thread isnt about Richmond.
Nobody said it was, just trying to be accurate or at least a footnote of sorts. I did get a message that the 22.9m odd was misleading and im trying to get the sponsorship and merchandise component figure.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...th-10-million-sponsorship-20140320-hvkum.html

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...sponsorship-20140320-hvkum.html#ixzz2wUrUTKHG

2013 Sponsorship figures from Annual Reports
  • Collingwood - 19.65 million (includes merch.) up from 19.1 million
  • Geelong - 17.04 million, up from 15.69 million
  • Essendon - 16.84 million, up from 15.92 million
  • Hawthorn - 15.22 million, up from 15.08 million
  • Carlton - 12.27 million, down from 12.5 million
  • Brisbane - 11.25 million (down from 11.7 million)
  • Greater Western Sydney - 9.19 million (up from 7.7 million)
  • Adelaide - 8.86 million, down from 10.55 million
  • West Coast - 7.65 million, up from 7.0 million
  • North Melbourne - 7.61 million (up from 7.26 million)
  • Melbourne - 6.36 million, down from 8.29 million
  • St Kilda - 5.16 million, down from 6.71 million
  • Fremantle - 4.35 million, up from 3.911 million

Given the results of the clubs I Was surprised at the West Coast number ($7.65mil) compared to the Pies $19.65. Corporate hospitality revenue was $12 mil & merchandise $2.3mil.

Last edited:
$10m to sponsor a side that won't feature in September. Bad deal for Emirates.

Still the figures continue to prove that without equality in the draw then the AFL will have to continue to support struggling teams. Every club should host a Friday night match during the season and feature in another as an away team. You either want a fair and even competition with all clubs having the same access to potential sponsorship as each other or you don't and the AFL doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back