Collingwood dynasty circa 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony of this coming from a West Coast fan is hilarious.

Your Ruck-Mid combo of Cox-Judd-Cousins-Kerr is probably the best I have seen in my footy-watching lifetime... and yet you only got 1 flag out of that lot, and very quickly fell from grace- and your club hasn't recovered.

It is hard to go past Ottens / Ablett Jnr / Bartel / Ling with Kelly and Corey and Johnson as both inside and outside options for mine. Just too much quality across the park.

Second I'd rate Keating / Voss / Black / Scott with Akermanis out wide for mine was devastating and the right amount of hard nut and disposal efficiency over WCE.

Then WCE third.

Madden / Williams / Bradley / Ratten wasn't so terrible either ;)

Buckley / Burns / Licuria just needed a better ruck other than McKee or Fraser, but was one of the more exciting to watch.

4 years is a long time in footy. You'd probably see comparable turnover in most lists since 2010
Maybe. But Collingwood was talked about at the time as having such a scary-good young list, and with good reason. Most of those players are still young enough to be playing good football for Collingwood.

New coach is put in charge. Team then falls down the ladder over consecutive years. Rumours of disgruntled playing staff followed by key players leaving.

Seems pretty straight forward where the problem lies.

can't argue, the Cats would have pounced on the Pies choke better than we did.

Don't think so.

The Pies had just made mincemeat of the Cats in the Prelim the week before. Up by 37 at quarter time, 62 at half time, 61 at three quarter time, before easing off in the last and still comfortably winning by 41 points. They had also beaten Geelong by 22 points in Round 19. The Pies had Geelong figured out in the second half of 2010.

Maybe. But Collingwood was talked about at the time as having such a scary-good young list, and with good reason. Most of those players are still young enough to be playing good football for Collingwood.

There was a fair segment of people here during late 2009-early 2010 who genuinely thought Melbourne's list was more promising than Collingwood's, as evidenced by this thread. Nobody really saw a Collingwood dynasty before the premiership happened.

Supposedly Melbourne almost beating the Pies twice in the first half of 2010 (one point the difference in Round 2, and a draw in Round 12) was evidence that the Pies weren't really that good, and that Melbourne of all clubs were ready to go past them quite soon.

There was a fair segment of people here during late 2009-early 2010 who genuinely thought Melbourne's list was more promising than Collingwood's, as evidenced by this thread. Nobody really saw a Collingwood dynasty before the premiership happened.
That's quite true. There wasn't really any sign in 2009 that Collingwood was just ready to explode - at least not from the outside.

That's quite true. There wasn't really any sign in 2009 that Collingwood was just ready to explode - at least not from the outside.

Just reading through parts of that thread I quoted again, there were people seriously saying they'd take Jack Watts, Liam Jurrah and Matthew Bate ahead of Travis Cloke back then, and Jack Grimes ahead of Dayne Beams and Steele Sidebottom. I know hindsight is 20/20, but Jesus! :eek::p

Dunno about nopt being any sign. from a narrow loss to Geelong in the 2007 PF there was a decent build up. Getting a ruckman made a huge difference in 2010 and it took a little while for the midfield to learn to play to him. The addittion of Ball to fill the hole left by Burns' retirement, the emergence of Thomas as a front line mid and the development of second stringers like Wellingham made all the difference after MM finally realised the likes of Fraser, Lockyer and O'Bree were not going to win us a flag. None of the was unforseeable but the fact that it all clicked together probably was unforseen.

Just reading through parts of that thread I quoted again, there were people seriously saying they'd take Jack Watts, Liam Jurrah and Matthew Bate ahead of Travis Cloke back then, and Jack Grimes ahead of Dayne Beams and Steele Sidebottom. I know hindsight is 20/20, but Jesus! :eek::p
Well as it happens, there were people at Melbourne that DID.

Don't think so.

The Pies had just made mincemeat of the Cats in the Prelim the week before. Up by 37 at quarter time, 62 at half time, 61 at three quarter time, before easing off in the last and still comfortably winning by 41 points. They had also beaten Geelong by 22 points in Round 19. The Pies had Geelong figured out in the second half of 2010.

all fair points until you consider that you beat us by 10 goals in round 16, and again in the mulligan

we weren't quite good enough in the crunch to take advantage of the choke, the cats were better in that circumstance

Even halfway through 2010 we had lost badly to Geelong and St Kilda and dropped a few games against bottom teams. For some reason it all just clicked into place for a little while, by late 2011 it was already starting to unravel.

all fair points until you consider that you beat us by 10 goals in round 16, and again in the mulligan

we weren't quite good enough in the crunch to take advantage of the choke, the cats were better in that circumstance
You don't think most of your best players played to their ability in GF 1? I think you are underplaying Goddard and Hayes who were awesome and nearly got their club a flag. There were a few Collingwood players that underperformed like there were for St Kilda the following week but if Collingwood choked they would have folded in the last Q.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake about it, the axing of Malthouse has caused this fall from grace.

That decision will tarnish Eddie's reputation forever. Arguably the worst business decision in AFL/VFL history

I would have thought the axing of Matthew Knights would come close.

Even halfway through 2010 we had lost badly to Geelong and St Kilda and dropped a few games against bottom teams. For some reason it all just clicked into place for a little while, by late 2011 it was already starting to unravel.
We didn't lose badly to St Kilda. We kicked something like 7 behinds in the last Q from memory to lose by 4 goals with more scoring shots. Not a great game or result but no indicative of being off their pace by much if at all.

It wasn't until that last-round thumping that I thought it was all coming into place and we might just get there. That season went about a month and a half too long for Collingwood.

The common thread is that Melbourne can't develop players. They might have had a point yet!

We didn't lose badly to St Kilda. We kicked something like 7 behinds in the last Q from memory to lose by 4 goals with more scoring shots. Not a great game or result but no indicative of being off their pace by much if at all.

We didn't kick a goal after half time, hardly the stuff of champions. I know we kicked badly, but we looked pretty terrible to me at the time.

So why was that premiership coach given the flick?
The eternal question.

The debate is done, the fear we all felt mid-season 2011 has turned to mirth. Collingwood killed a golden goose, the only question left is how long till their next?

Recycling these threads just encourages bizarre revisionism from some magpie fans, it's not fun anymore.

The eternal question.

The debate is done, the fear we all felt mid-season 2011 has turned to mirth. Collingwood killed a golden goose, the only question left is how long till their next?

Recycling these threads just encourages bizarre revisionism from some magpie fans, it's not fun anymore.

I don't like disrespecting premiership players and coaches that move on to other clubs. Pies fans do though. It's a bit sickening.

I distinctly remember after that draw against Melbourne genuinely doubting whether we'd really be anything better than third place that year. We'd mainly only beaten up on poor/injured sides in the first half of the season, never truly looked like we could beat St Kilda in Round 3 (even with Riewoldt going down early), and had lost by 6 goals to Geelong in Round 9. We'd beaten the Bulldogs twice, and pretty much confirmed we were ahead of them at least (they'd finished third in the two seasons prior), but had dropped a game to Brisbane, and had struggled to get past Melbourne on a couple of occasions too. Really weren't that convincing that year between Rounds 1-12, despite an 8-1-3 record (which coincidentally left us in third place at that point in the season).

Last edited:
We didn't kick a goal after half time, hardly the stuff of champions. I know we kicked badly, but we looked pretty terrible to me at the time.
Stretching the memory a bit after the game I though we were all over them in the second half but lacked the class to finish. That was the Malthouse/Milne game?

I thought it looked pretty bleak when you smashed us in the Prelim 09

The eternal question.

3 years time we will be challenging again, the core is there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back