Collingwood Magpies 2014 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues will bid. Pies will match.

I understand the hope of Pies fans though. It's only natural.
Yeah well we did state that the possibility of it happening is quite low, just saying its still possible purely out of optimism.

The bulldogs are not assured to get Wright or McCartin at 5 or worse 6 if the Dees get the 1st band for Frawley.

Moore is the next best. They will bid for him. So you'll either get him with your first.... Or you won't get him.

Bonus is you'd likely get Lavarde or maybe Lever if you're lucky. But you won't get him in your first.

Melbourne need midfielders and more midfielders. Certain they will go midfielders with pick 2 and 3.

Melbourne need midfielders and more midfielders. Certain they will go midfielders with pick 2 and 3.

The issue is that we're highly likely to trade one or both of those picks, and the Dogs won't know who to, until after the father-son bidding is over. They have to plan as though we might trade both picks away. Would Adelaide be taking mids or KPP's if they had those picks? How about GWS?

The Dogs surely must get a KPP with their first pick, and bidding for Moore goes close to guaranteeing that they will. Let him slide and there's a strong possibility that all the quality talls will be gone.

How does bidding on Moore make it particularly more likely they'll get a KPP? I get it adds the remote possibility we might decline to match their bid, but that's a slim chance, and it doesn't otherwise make it more likely that Wright or McCartin will slide to them.

If I were Melbourne with picks 2 and 3, I'd take Petrecca and Wright, if the Saints take McCartin, or McCartin and Brayshaw if they take Petrecca.

That doesn't equate to "pretty much guaranteeing they get a KPP with their first pick".

But, I agree they are likely to bid on him unless they are confident they have a trade lined up that would address their KPP needs and would require pick 5/6. Just don't think doing so will do anything other than ensure we use pick 9.

Just don't think doing so will do anything other than ensure we use pick 9.

Which still works for the Dogs. Their next pick is one spot better if they force your hand. So I'm not seeing any reason they wouldn't bid.

Doesn't the F/S bidding get done before they hand out compensation picks??
If so, Melbourne will not have 2 picks in the top 10.

I didn't know that, but all the same we've seen Frawley offered $600K x 5, which most would think is going to be a band 1 compensation.

Because Moore is a KPP. Simple as that.

The longer answer is that because of the Frawley compo pick, it's highly likely he will be the best available KPP at the Dogs pick. Therefore, they'd be silly not to bid for him.
How does this correlate to what you said before...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which still works for the Dogs. Their next pick is one spot better if they force your hand. So I'm not seeing any reason they wouldn't bid.

I didn't know that, but all the same we've seen Frawley offered $600K x 5, which most would think is going to be a band 1 compensation.
Bulldogs will 100% get one of the top 6 KPP(Macartin, Lever, Wright, Moore,Goddard who might be a bolter and Marchbank). Out of these 6, 3 of them are probably better than Moore and the other 2 are on par with him. Bidding for Moore takes away so much from their ability to trade during the offseason. The consensus is that
Petrecca will go at 1.
Brayshaw will go at 2.
Macartin/Lever/wright will go at 3/4/5
Honestly I don't see any reason why the Bulldogs will bid for Moore unless they rate him as a top 5 talent and better than Macartin/Lever/Wright

for collingwood supporters how does it work if you trade your first pick out for possibly a player and a later pick can you still take moore with that pick ?? it that makes any sense

for collingwood supporters how does it work if you trade your first pick out for possibly a player and a later pick can you still take moore with that pick ?? it that makes any sense

FS bidding happens before trade period, if we bid pick 8 we're locked into taking Moore with pick 8, can't trade it.

Agreed, but is he going to drop to 5?
If Melbourne gets 3 as well... For the dogs get the key forward they're after bidding on Moore is a no brainer.
Shifter Sheehan and Terry Wallace seem to be of the opinion that Melbourne won't get pick 3 if they lose Frawley. More likely to be a mid first round compo pick (somewhere around #10). There's some complex formula taking into account his salary at his new club, what he was on at his old club, age and hat size.

Shifter Sheehan and Terry Wallace seem to be of the opinion that Melbourne won't get pick 3 if they lose Frawley. More likely to be a mid first round compo pick (somewhere around #10). There's some complex formula taking into account his salary at his new club, what he was on at his old club, age and hat size.

And then Carlton becomes the team that makes a play....

It's about time you lot resigned to the fact it's 1st round or not at all

Did lol at Sheehan saying the panel reviews the compensation and can alter it if they think the formula has produced an unfair result.

If the panel didn't think pick 20 for the equal best player in the comp, who had been signed up on a 9 year, 10 million dollar deal was unfair, I'm not going to hold my breath for them to intervene any time soon.

A couple of things seem pretty likely for the Pies this off season. Moore taken with pick 8, Clark coming over, either as a straight swap for Lumumba or for a 3rd round pick.

What else, if anything, do we want to happen this FA/Trade period?

Some have been very keen to chase Malceski as a FA, but I'm not that keen. Don't think we're close enough to threatening for a flag to be bringing in 30+ year olds with histories of knee problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back