News Collingwood once bitten, not shy on Travis Varcoe

Nice little piece on Varcoe, looks like he's wanting to step up for the club in a leadership role which is great news.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...not-shy-on-travis-varcoe-20141022-119zzy.html

"I'm as excited as I've been since I started. Once you get in here, you really want to show the club what you can do, want to prove you're a hard worker. I want to win another grand final, and I think this group has the ability to do that with the list coming through."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...not-shy-on-travis-varcoe-20141022-119zzy.html

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Premiership 2016-17

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nice article but Varcoe is probably the recruit i worry about the most.

Greenwood will be very good and Crisp has a few factors on his side i.e. age, size, determination.

I think Varcoe lacks confidence and if i am honest, doesn't really want to be here.

I could not be more happy if i am proven wrong.

Wooljay

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2009
Omicron Persei 8
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal

Greenwood will be very good and Crisp has a few factors on his side i.e. age, size, determination.

I think Varcoe lacks confidence and if i am honest, doesn't really want to be here.

I think he's a pretty laconic person in general, always seem pretty introverted at Geelong so I get where you're coming from.

I'm not that worried about Varcs, multiple premiership player with Geelong and consistently played in one of the best teams of the generation - reckon he'll be a fair contributor.

Prestige Presti

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good article, but I'm staggered he has a 10 year old daughter, he's only 26.

Would have been hard to balance his early footy with raising a kid as a teenager provided i didn't misread and the kid isn't his.

Shame it wasn't a boy, if Varcoe goes on to play for 8 more years we could of had a father and a son on our list.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood

Has always seemed to be in the second tier down at the cattery - a useful role player but not considered as important as the cream.

Time will tell if he is given more responsibility and opportunity with us, I'm prepared to keep an open mind on him at the present.

PIES 4 LIFE

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Has always seemed to be in the second tier down at the cattery - a useful role player but not considered as important as the cream.

Time will tell if he is given more responsibility and opportunity with us, I'm prepared to keep an open mind on him at the present.
Hopefully he is at the age where he hits his peak, he may have just been a role player at geelong, but with beams now gone, we need him to accept the added responsibility he will be given and hope he has the maturity to thrive with it.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
Maybe, I'm predicting those 2 years are we can challenge. Probably more so in 2017 as Scharenberg would have had a season under his belt by then.

My gut has been saying 2016 for some time. Injuries permitting of course. 2016 will be our best shot because sides like Hawthorn and Geelong should theoretically be in a "dip" phase and hopefully Gold Coast and GWS won't have hit their peaks yet. Might be a shot to sneak a flag in.

I think We'll see history repeat and Collingwood will be a dominant side during the 20's again like they used to be. Have you seen what our side will look like in the 20's?

Daicos x 1 or 2
Buckley x 1 or 2
Prestigiacomo
Brown
Kelly
McKewon (I think that's how you spell it?)

plus a whole buch of other father/sons

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
Good article, but I'm staggered he has a 10 year old daughter, he's only 26.

Would have been hard to balance his early footy with raising a kid as a teenager provided i didn't misread and the kid isn't his.

Shame it wasn't a boy, if Varcoe goes on to play for 8 more years we could of had a father and a son on our list.
Isn't father son only 100 games now? Be terrible if it takes him 8 years to string 100 together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suspect footskills

All Australian
Oct 15, 2012
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood

He was always very highly rated internally at Geelong. Was even touted to take over Ablett's role after he left but it never really went that way.
Hoping a change of environment can be the spark he needs to really fulfill his potential.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Talk of leadership is just stupid. He needs to debut with us first and put his head down and play a full season. Horse before the cart.
Keeffe is another. How he was meant to be a leader staggers me. Sometimes i think it's more hope than smart decisions in regards to putting players in to leadership roles. You need brains and Varcoe has never struck me as a smart bloke or natural leader.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Talk of leadership is just stupid. He needs to debut with us first and put his head down and play a full season. Horse before the cart.
Keeffe is another. How he was meant to be a leader staggers me. Sometimes i think it's more hope than smart decisions in regards to putting players in to leadership roles. You need brains and Varcoe has never struck me as a smart bloke or natural leader.

Been to a few VFL games and heard Keeffe on the sidelines, constantly shouting encouragement and instructions to his teammates.

That's why he's in the leadership group

Been to a few VFL games and heard Keeffe on the sidelines, constantly shouting encouragement and instructions to his teammates.

That's why he's in the leadership group

Well it would not be his Playing as start of the Year he was not Best 22

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
What did you think about Maxwell being appointed Captain back in the day?

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...

I think you're right. Varcoe might lack a bit of confidence. I think the forum needs to put a little pressure on him in the early months and see if we can break him...

Back