Collingwood player betting investigation (Update: Crisp gets fine, no suspension, see p.5)

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would question why the hell we took a bloke that's been betting on afl out of their whole list if we did know. Surely you wouldnt touch that.

Heath Shaw won us a premiership so I wouldnt say we would have passed on Crisp just because of a betting incident. But the information would have been handy at the time. It may not have changed our decision to draft him.

BlackWhiteBlood

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49er, SFGiants, Mapel Leafs
Hasn't been a super 2 years or so for AFL and NRL with drugs, and betting.
Although the media do make mountains from mole hills.

Personally I don't see an issue placing a bet on your own team to win, obviously betting to lose introduces match fixing possibilities.

As for the drugs, this is where it needs to be reviewed, players getting rubbed out for energy drinks and pain killers while potentially systematic doping can go in punished seems ridiculous.

Agree to an extent with the media making molehills out of nothing. They do have a habit of making things out to be far worse then they actually are.

But disagree completely with your other two points. The issue of betting on matches is and should be black and white, you simply can not do it, this leaves no room for interpretation and leaves the players in a very shore position of what they can and can't do. They have plenty of other betting options if they fancy a flutter.

As for drugs, the AFL signs up to the ASADA code who are signed up to the WADA code (World Anti-Doping Authority). Payers today are very well educated about the precautions they need to take when taking medication, only get if from club officials or check with the club doctor who they can call 24-7 if getting say a 'pain killer' from the shops. Crawley was stupid and probably just made a honest mistake, but he was stupid and broke basic club protocol and should get and deservedly so a 2yr ban.

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
If has admitted he placed a bet on an AFL match and is “prepared to pay his penance”, that suggests very much that he is and will be found guilty. The question is what his penalty will be.

I thought he was just being Investigated still

At least some Good News

Fair enough too, AFL taking the gambling $$$ in advertising, spend a small amount warning of problem gambling then fine and ban players for having a $10 bet.
Hypocrisy much?

Fair enough too, AFL taking the gambling $$$ in advertising, spend a small amount warning of problem gambling then fine and ban players for having a $10 bet.
Hypocrisy much?
Exactly my sentiment. I find it disgusting that the AFL is so willing to take money from betting companies, promote gambling, and then sit back and wonder why players are punting.

If they had any integrity at all they would ban advertising from betting agencies from their broadcasts and games. So many kids watching it ffs....

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont understand how these players get found out. Give it to your best mate and get him to do it. Gambling could be biggest issue in sport over drugs imo.

Didn't see this tweet posted on here from Dayne Beams

upload_2015-3-31_9-22-26.png

Now - seems he has left Collingwood with a sour taste in his mouth. Prick of a thing to air on social media considering also the guy was probably the sole reason he ended up at Brisbane.

Heater's bet was purely inside information and totally different circumstances. If he wants to have a crack at anyone under similar circumstances to Heaters case, he should be lobbying to through the book at that peanut David King!

Beamsy is really starting to piss me off. I wish we had a Brad Sewell type player to run through him at the centre bounce.

View attachment 120024

Now - seems he has left Collingwood with a sour taste in his mouth. Prick of a thing to air on social media considering also the guy was probably the sole reason he ended up at Brisbane.

Heater's bet was purely inside information and totally different circumstances. If he wants to have a crack at anyone under similar circumstances to Heaters case, he should be lobbying to through the book at that peanut David King!

Beamsy is really starting to piss me off. I wish we had a Brad Sewell type player to run through him at the centre bounce.
You mean like Adams did to Selwood last year?

If only we had a player like that...

View attachment 120024

I think this proves what sort of a person Beams is.

View attachment 120024

Beams again showing what a Flog he is.

No we want Brodie Holland to do what he did with Montgomery

Back