popin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers, Craig lowndes
C/O spook182

Here are the indicative dates for the 2015 NAB AFL free agency and trade periods:

Friday 9th October - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period begins

Monday 12th October - 10am - NAB AFL Trade Period begins

Sunday 18th October - 5pm - Close of NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period

Wednesday 21st October - NAB AFL restricted free agency matching offer three-day period ends

Thursday 22nd October - 2pm – NAB AFL Trade Period closes

Original Post - Popin

I thought with the stuff going down at the moment we might need to fill two player spots on our list.
So i was wondering what players from other clubs people would like to see playing at collingwood if they are free-agents or players who wanted a trade back to victoria to live or a trade to change teams ???????
People with negative views please don't wreck the thread derailing it like always as it's all Universal love here. :):D:p:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Garry Lion said on footy classified that Dion Prestia might be looking to come home

Santa, please give me: Aaron Young, Paul Ahern, Steven Motlop, and Matt Suckling.

You have another gws kid in mind??

Dylan Shiel or Adam Treloar, but Aaron Young would be cheaper (is also taller) and I didn't want to be too greedy.

i hope could help with a move down south just reminds me of fyfe

If it is the 1 am thinking of.

ON TAC CUP FUTURE STARS they had a Segment on where his Dad said he wanted to play for Collingwood

It's sad we are already looking forward to the draft and trade period but it's something I have started thinking about already as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[***Mod edit: The following is re-posted from Knightmare's Collingwood Almanac 2014 thread, p.115]:

ACCORDING TO KNIGHTMARE:

In terms of trade targets and opposition talent identification. These are the guys I'm looking at:

Top priority:
Reece McKenzie and Cameron McCarthy I've already advocated. Jon Patton is another where if GWS are attached to McCarthy at seasons end as Cameron's main forward partner, then Patton I imagine should be gettable. I'd take any of them in an instant if an offer was made. They can all be key forwards you can build around in my view, with McKenzie given his recent draft position the cheapy of these. Cameron McCarthy looks the best of this group so he'd be ideal, the way he is developing is just staggering as after Bontempelli if you ask me to re-do the 2013 draft today, he is my number two overall choice.

Must gets if available:
Martin Gleeson if for some reason he doesn't develop with Essendon. I'd be making a big play at him. Just reads it so well down back and such a clean and classy ball user. Like him a lot. If we had him I feel he would be a clear best 10 player on our list, such is his quality.
Aaron Young as a midfielder is legit. He can win the footy, but he's a terrific ball user, athletic and can go forward and hit the scoreboard. If Port Adelaide keep using him as a sub or if he isn't part of that main core group Port Adelaide are going forward with I'd take him in an instant with the view that he is today would be a possible best 10 and definite best 15 quality player on our list.
Karl Amon I'm really high on and if he doesn't establish himself at Port Adelaide I'd take a shot. He can do damage by foot and has good pace and running ability. For me he is a perfect replacement for Clinton Young on a wing, rotating back for minor minutes.
Aaron Mullett would be a perfect fit off a back flank and creeping up onto a wing. He can be another and probably slightly better version of Seedsman as a guy who offers that same linebreaking ability but with an even longer, more damaging kick.

Strong considerations:
As a key defender I really liked what Mitch Brown as a fill-in did for Essendon as a rebounding key defender and if Keeffe is gone for two years, Brown looks like an ideal replacement at CHB as someone who is pretty much a plug and play option. If he has a strong year at state level I'd be keen.
Matthew Wright as a mid who can also go forward I feel is underutilised in that he plays too much forward and not enough midfield. He wins it inside and does all the hard stuff but he is another really good ball user and uses it on both sides. Assuming his midfield play is clearly better than those other options on our list, I'd take a shot.
Seb Ross is one where if he doesn't establish himself at St Kilda or they're slightly open to moving him. I'd be red hot on him. Just a really good midfielder who improves year after year and just hasn't had the opportunities at AFL level that he should long have been getting. If he continues his positive progress this year I'd take a shot.
Charlie Cameron if he doesn't become a regular for Adelaide could be worth a shot at, as a poor man's Jeff Garlett as that super quick, but tackling machine up forward who can hit the scoreboard. Ideal fit to give us that something different to compliment our smaller marking forwards.

Would like to see how they go this season (at the moment I'd class all these guys as list fits, but just don't have the level of certainty I'd require to invest that they are clear best 22 players and clearly ahead of our existing playing group which makes them more players to have on a watchlist than players I'd advocate we today make a play for):
Shane Savage as a back flanker if he doesn't establish himself I'm looking at. Anyone see him over the second half of last year? He can provide some real rebound and I'm interested to see more of him in that role at the very least. He can provide some run and carry and provide good rebound by foot. Just the defensive side of his game is a question for me in that role, then also his footskills under pressure I'll also be reviewing.
Tom Bell for Carlton is another where I just don't get why they're not using him more on the ball through the midfield. The clearance differential when he is in there really favours Carlton significantly. I'm interested to see his progress this year. Just such a big body and with excellent endurance, he's interesting at the very least. Just want to see more of where his ball use is it, I know he has penetration but just want to check his consistency/decision making is better and that's something he'll have to sell me on.
Jarryd Lyons is used as a sub more than he deserves. His contested ball winning ability is excellent. And can play forward. Just want to see he can do more and continue to step his game up. Also want to see more of where his footskills and decision making is at and whether he has improved that aspect of his game before investing.
Jimmy Toumpas on the outside is someone where he has so much unfulfilled potential, not unlike Jared Polec where he can be a really high damage guy. In saying that he still needs to improve. And until he shows that definite improvement it's hard to invest.
James Sicily as a medium forward is legit. Anyone see Sicily through the finals last year for Hawthorn? He's good. Just unsure we need a medium forward and don't know where he fits on Hawthorn. Footskills also not terrific though improving so it will be interesting to see just how much better Hawthorn can help him get by foot.
Matt Arnott intrigues me. Big, strong bodied guy who has had Scott Thompson (Adelaide version) size biceps since he was in the u18s. And he can kick long and hit his targets. Just want to see how he progresses this year before making a definite call on him but he is on my watchlist.
Lauchlan Dalgleish is interesting with his pace and long kick - anyone see that long preseason goal of his? It's just a question as to whether he can do more, more often than just the occasional highlights.
Angus Litherland and Taylor Duryea are both interesting having also shown signs last season for Hawthorn. Depends on evaluation of whether they'd be best 22 and how much they're both improving. But at this stage they both need to step it up another notch.

Would recommend to other clubs but not needed in our situation:
If I wanted a ruckman. Tom Nicholls and Tom Campbell are two I'd advocate but in our situation it's more a veteran at the end of their career as opposed to long term options.

--
I'm sure a number of these will move onto or alternative off my list of potential trade targets. But this is roughly those I'd be looking at with interest.

Young is one I've liked for a couple of off-seasons doubt we'd be interested though.

Sexton and Shaw if we look at Gold Coast.

Crozier as someone to partner Elliott with Fasolo running out of time.

Perhaps Cunningham if you offer him overs, but doubt he'd been interested in leaving Sydney.

In general it's too early for this thread, but I think this sort of chat will be popular this year. One things for sure if we haven't completely stuffed our salary cap with the likes of White, Varcoe and Reid's deals then we need to make some big moves come trade time!

Would recommend to other clubs but not needed in our situation:
If I wanted a ruckman. Tom Nicholls and Tom Campbell are two I'd advocate but in our situation it's more a veteran at the end of their career as opposed to long term options.

Campbell be way Cheaper then Nicholls and I doubt the Suns would draft there most exciting Ruck Prospect

Campbell be way Cheaper then Nicholls and I doubt the Suns would draft there most exciting Ruck Prospect

It depends on how GC see their ruck prospects. Zac Smith may well be their preferred option, in which case Nicholls may become expendable for the right deal.

It depends on how GC see their ruck prospects. Zac Smith may well be their preferred option, in which case Nicholls may become expendable for the right deal.

Well - It would be 1st Round Pick would be the Starting Point

Top priority:
Reece McKenzie and Cameron McCarthy I've already advocated. Jon Patton is another where if GWS are attached to McCarthy at seasons end as Cameron's main forward partner, then Patton I imagine should be gettable. I'd take any of them in an instant if an offer was made. They can all be key forwards you can build around in my view, with McKenzie given his recent draft position the cheapy of these. Cameron McCarthy looks the best of this group so he'd be ideal, the way he is developing is just staggering as after Bontempelli if you ask me to re-do the 2013 draft today, he is my number two overall choice

Agree another Young Quality KPF is right up there.

Only way we would get McKenzie IF he get’s de-listed or he does nothing at VFL Richmond and we get him for a 4th round Pick.

Patton would be a nice get but would cost a lot to the Salary Cap and he has had 2 Knee Reco’s,

McCarthy would be a Chance but would cost a fair bit.

IF we get a Young Tall it would be from Either the Suns or the Giansts.

How about Dixon from the Suns or Tomlinson or Stewart from the Giants?

Any of GC's Dixon, Day, Lynch. It surprises me that they are not talked about more often due to GC's embarrassment of kpf.

Lynch I'd take in an instant. He is big time and one of the better key forwards in the game already.

Dixon is good.

Day hasn't convinced me that he is AFL standard. He's an unreal athlete but he's not good for a goal a game or even so much as even 75 marks. He's still young and can still continue to improve, but for me he just isn't quite AFL standard.

Lynch I'd take in an instant. He is big time and one of the better key forwards in the game already.

Dixon is good.

Day hasn't convinced me that he is AFL standard. He's an unreal athlete but he's not good for a goal a game or even so much as even 75 marks. He's still young and can still continue to improve, but for me he just isn't quite AFL standard.
Seems strange no one has tried to pry one loose. Long term contracts maybe? For some reason Gws always seems to be the subject of raids and GC goes overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back