Trades / Delistings & Draftees 2014 (latest: Clarke & Mooney going home, Yagmoor delisted)

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
hahaha no, absolutely not.

My point is that the players that we have gotten from 2011 and 2012 have either sustained there draft position or would have gone a lot higher in the draft.
In 2011 we had Elliott who was a high draft pick and Witts who was not available to anyone else.
2012 we had high draft picks because of trading premiership players.
In 2013 we were already high in the draft order due a poor season, and we also traded to get higher.

In 2009 and 2010 we were well down in the draft order because of success and trading IN of premiership players and other experienced players such as Chris Tarrant and Andrew Krakouer. So we had much lower picks. I think it is a bit of a non-point to say that these drafts were worse than the last three...

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
In 2011 we had Elliott who was a high draft pick and Witts who was not available to anyone else.
2012 we had high draft picks because of trading premiership players.
In 2013 we were already high in the draft order due a poor season, and we also traded to get higher.

In 2009 and 2010 we were well down in the draft order because of success and trading IN of premiership players and other experienced players such as Chris Tarrant and Andrew Krakouer. So we had much lower picks. I think it is a bit of a non-point to say that these drafts were worse than the last three...

LOL look I know you're going hard at me for my Blair thread but anyways here goes...

The 2009 draft was a raging success of course. Jolly and Ball equalled a premiership.

With all intents and purposes we've traded in and out premiership players at the right time.

Thomas, Shaw, Wellers and Dawes as I've said previously aren't setting the world on fire meanwhile these younger guys are developing.

As for krakouer and Tarrant, or even jolly or Ball, they obviously have a negative impact in terms of the topic of this thread, list management and the potential for future flags.

Last edited:

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
In terms of the 2012 draft, off the top of my head and admittedly without going back and having a look at who was drafted after them, don't think Kennedy or Broomhead have done enough to retain a top 20 spot if we're rating players on exposed form to date. Not the fault of either of them, they've both had issues with injury, but right now, I'd be surprised if there weren't a couple now ahead of them.

That may change in coming years of course.

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
In terms of the 2012 draft, off the top of my head and admittedly without going back and having a look at who was drafted after them, don't think Kennedy or Broomhead have done enough to retain a top 20 spot if we're rating players on exposed form to date. Not the fault of either of them, they've both had issues with injury, but right now, I'd be surprised if there weren't a couple now ahead of them.

That may change in coming years of course.

I reckon looking at this they have easily retained their position IMO.

Especially Broomhead.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2012&t=N&s=P

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, just went back and had a look and it was a draft that really hasn't produced much so far. Is that because so many of the top kids went to GWS or because some key players were removed via the minidrafts etc. Hrovat aside, not much taken after pick 20 who have made an impact as yet. Who was meant to be in this draft that was snapped up earlier? O'Meara? Hogan?

Aug 15, 2009
The Devil's personal coke roadie
AFL Club
Collingwood
OK this brings me to a pertinent point. 2009 and 2010 drafts are looking more and more like flops.

Thomas, Sinclair, Fasolo and Seedsman is all we have and all four are struggling or injured, big time.

As for recent drafts we have done outstandingly well.

from 2011 I have two guys Witts and Elliott inside the top 15 players from that draft and then Adams and Williams from anywhere from 16-30.

2011 basically equals four picks inside 30 in Hindsight.

2012 we did really well. Not including Martin, Dwyer or Oxley but including Frost early days I know

But I'd have four guys in the top 20.

As for 2013 we had picks 6 and 10 who we haven't even seen and Langdon would easily go top 20.

So to break it down 2011 equals four guys inside the top 30 two perhaps in the top ten.

2012 four players inside the top 20 and maybe over there careers some or all in a pipe dream could go top ten.

2013, three guys inside the top 20. I reckon Langdon would go top 20 in hindsight.

So as far as list management we've made the hard decisions and we should be tracking well. If we can nail the 2014 draft and Darcy Moor is all that he's cracked up to be then we are seriously going places.

An important point I think. It looks worse when you move one or two more seasons back; nobody at all left from the 2007 draft for example.In four years, really only 2008 was a decent one.

It means that we have a big gap there in experience because its those 2007-2010 drafts that should be giving us the players with 50-120 games at their peak that we are lacking. Yes, we traded in the likes of Ball, Jolly, Krak, Taz and Clarke...but now we are paying the price for using higher picks for mature players. This was the price we paid for immediate success in 2010 and attempting to keep it going with mature top ups early which forced us even further down the pecking order.

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, just went back and had a look and it was a draft that really hasn't produced much so far. Is that because so many of the top kids went to GWS or because some key players were removed via the minidrafts etc. Hrovat aside, not much taken after pick 20 who have made an impact as yet. Who was meant to be in this draft that was snapped up earlier? O'Meara? Hogan?

Could be half a dozen of one and half a dozen of the other.

If Collingwood took O'Rourke at pick 2 the bigfooty community would be in melt-down.

I think it was a weak draft though.

picks 2-3 and 12-17 I haven't really seen to be honest but you'd have to suggest they are struggling so far in their AFL careers. O'Meara the biggest standout so far.

Broomhead show glimpses of a top ten draft pick to be honest.

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
An important point I think. It looks worse when you move one or two more seasons back; nobody at all left from the 2007 draft for example.In four years, really only 2008 was a decent one.

It means that we have a big gap there in experience because its those 2007-2010 drafts that should be giving us the players with 50-120 games at their peak that we are lacking. Yes, we traded in the likes of Ball, Jolly, Krak, Taz and Clarke...but now we are paying the price for using higher picks for mature players. This was the price we paid for immediate success in 2010 and attempting to keep it going with mature top ups early which forced us even further down the pecking order.

This is a very good and sobering post. However we did very well out of the Clarke trade that netted Elliott.

You just hope that Thomas, Sinclair, Fasolo and Seedsman can turn it around and have good to very good afl careers.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think its going to be fairly strightforward.

Retired: Maxwell, Lynch, Clarke, Ball, Hudson
Delisted: Armstrong

Frost promoted

Of the rookies, I think yagmoor is gone, Mooney and gault get to show if they deserve to remain in the last few weeks. I actually think both will be retained, but Mooney is an odd one. Hasnt he had 3 seasons already, in which case I dont think we can keep him as a rookie?

I think Martin needs an exrtended spell in the seniors to tell if he is any good, and I think the answer is yes and he will get promoted alongside Frost.

Of the remaining seniors, the ones I would look at are Young, Oxley, Ramsay. Young I think has demonstrated adequately that he is no better than younger options. Oxley had his season ruined, but as an elevated rookie I guess the question is do you look at dropping him to the rookie list again and also we have no idea on the severity of his ankle, but chances are its going to impact next season too. Ramsay was very young for his draft year and still looks that way, a little like Yagmoor. I would consider dropping to the rookie list.

I think Marsh is still raw but there is enough there to keep him on the senior list.

Every year we lose one player nobody really thinks we will lose. So though I dont know who that is yet, Id add that "unknown" to the list of changes which means 7 off, 2 on (promoted) for 5 live selections. Doubt we would need more than that.

Of the rookies, I think we will lose 3 (2 promoted, 1 delisted) and keep Gault and maybe Mooney.

Flyin Pies

Rookie
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Trade a Jarryd Blair, Josh Thomas, Brent Maccaffer, Heritier Lumumba, Alex Fasolo for a Jeff Garlett. And maybe a third rounder.

Go hard for Aaron Young

Get another ruckman like Jonathan Giles, Jonathan Griffen, Daniel Currie, Majak Daw

Go hard for Andrew Gaff

Get James Frawley

Best 22 for next year would be:

B: Marley Williams, James Frawley, Jack Frost
HB: Mathew Sharenberg, Lachlan Keeffe, Tom Langdon

M: Paul Seedsman, Aaron Young, Andrew Gaff

HF: Steele Sidebottom, Travis Cloke, Jamie Elliot
F: Jeff Garlett, Ben Reid, Jarrod Witts

Foll: Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Scott Pendlebury

I/C: Taylor Adams, Tim Broomhead, Alex Fasolo(Defender/Winger)
Sub: Ben Kennedy

Both Witts and Grundy are worth more than Sam Reid. We would have to get a draft pick or another player as well.
Is this a Joke?

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is a very good and sobering post. However we did very well out of the Clarke trade that netted Elliott.

You just hope that Thomas, Sinclair, Fasolo and Seedsman can turn it around and have good to very good afl careers.

That would be nice, but I think we also have to remember that they were selections 75, 62, 45 and 76.

Reality is, if you are down there, you feel pretty good getting 100 games out of someone.

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey Reykjavic,

Just on Young at face value you could say that we should retain him for experience.

But when you look at incidents like him falling over in the 2012 GF, and that dropped mark against GC amongst other examples, fair to say there's probably a myriad of youngsters with more composed heads on their shoulders when the heat is on.

I think he could be de-listed but it might be wishful thinking.

MightyPies1

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
That would be nice, but I think we also have to remember that they were selections 75, 62, 45 and 76.

Reality is, if you are down there, you feel pretty good getting 100 games out of someone.

True. One of the saving graces about these drafts is that they were weak drafts and the clubs who did well I don't see as a threat in future years(with the exception of GC:rolleyes:) Clearly the best player taken out of those drafts (IMO) Dangerfield is likely to leave as a free agent who I believe we should heavily pursue.

Edit: I do see Essendon as a threat and they have done well but they have done poorly out of 06,11,12,13 and have penalties from the 14 draft imposed. They also underwhelmed in 08 IMO.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
True. One of the saving graces about these drafts is that they were weak drafts and the clubs who did well I don't see as a threat in future years(with the exception of GC:rolleyes:) Clearly the best player taken out of those drafts (IMO) Dangerfield is likely to leave as a free agent who I believe we should heavily pursue.

I would love to get him too. Unfortunately, I would be prepared to bank serious coin that Adelaide will wrap him up early. Having lost Bock, Davis, and Tippett they should be both armed and motivated with the necessary ammunition fiscal or otherwise.

How do you know otherwise?

I think the Grundy has the Better All Around Game. Grundy can Ruck,get touches in the Midfield, can at times get his own Tap and Can Clunk Marks up Forward.

Witts is only good in the Ruck and as a Forward

Think Witts has been at least as good as Grundy around the ground on exposed form.

That might be Right but I just see Grundy with the more Upside in that Area then Witts

Back