Trades / Delistings & Draftees 2014 (latest: Clarke & Mooney going home, Yagmoor delisted)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still wondering why we are trying to replicate a team that is now 4 years old.
The game has evolved so much in that time.
How about we just work on our disposal skills so we can keep possession of the ball and give our forwards an opportunity of actually having their leads honoured with a direct and accurate kick.

Reid is not a part time forward / part time ruck- he is a gun. Got nothing to do with the Leigh Brown role.

He would allow Ben to go back. He and Cloke up forward would be enormous for us. Once again we can only dream of getting him.

I'm still wondering why we are trying to replicate a team that is now 4 years old.
The game has evolved so much in that time.
How about we just work on our disposal skills so we can keep possession of the ball and give our forwards an opportunity of actually having their leads honoured with a direct and accurate kick.
Cloke #1 forward, Reid #2, and Witts or Grundy the 3rd tall (and genuine 2nd ruck) when deemed suitable. They are not quite ready yet, but given that White can't hold on to most of his marks, they are probably still better value. Unfortunately we don't have the necessary crumbing smalls to make this a really deadly forward set-up, but IMO with Elliott, and perhaps Kennedy & Martin it already looks better than what we have now. Then again, Manangatang 3rds would probably look better......

Never Seen Reid in the Rucko_O

Mike123 yeah you are right. Moore has played in the Ruck

Reid does ruck, but only because he is the worst forward out of Buddy, Goodes and Tippett.

I said this in early May

"It seems Sam Reid is having a bit of a nothing year. What are people's thoughts about trying to get him over here with his brother"

I still think it

Reid is contracted till 2017 (?). Sydney won't let him go, especially since he's versatile and Goodes is near the end. Heath Grundy too, if they want to play him in the backline. Will have to pay a pretty penny for Reid and I'm not convinced he's worth it. The only thing they really need right now are KPDs and a #1 ruck - we won't trade out Witts or Grundy. Reid for Brown? Kind of a nothing trade that just eats up our salary cap if you ask me.

Interesting the different views people have. This is Sam Reid from Sydney yeah - brother of Ben. Good young player now, who will be a gun during our premiership window.

Not going to happen as Sydney are a little smarter than a few of us on here and have him on a 5 year contract - but are people seriously saying no to this guy. Him to CHF, Ben to CHB and better run with injuries and we are top 4 next year. We can only dream of getting him.
They would both start forward is we landed him, wasn't 2011 the first year of the 5 year deal but?

They would both start forward is we landed him, wasn't 2011 the first year of the 5 year deal but?
Yeah we would have that option. You are probably right about 2011, however my point was in regards to how highly thought of he was that he was offered a 5 year deal.

I would really like a fast outsider to compliment our midfield. Someone in the Matt White mould for Port. I suppose Freeman, Seed or Broomhead could be groomed into this sort of player, but I think that will take awhile and we need some more run urgently.

I would be targeting gws to wrench out a good midfielder like a trelaor or target Dangerfield.
We need a big player especially with Swanny not long before he goes another year or so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would really like a fast outsider to compliment our midfield. Someone in the Matt White mould for Port. I suppose Freeman, Seed or Broomhead could be groomed into this sort of player, but I think that will take awhile and we need some more run urgently.

I'm pretty sure Freeman is an inside player with pace.

Thanks for reminding me of the fact that Freeman hasn't played a game yet!

I'd managed to forget for 5 minutes.

Yeah I think that is fair. You could roll the dice on some of those seniors but I think a couple of at least have enough exposed form to say goodbye or have a stint in VFL and we will call you if need you. Problem with that is you have a few bucks tied up in those players.

My ideal team for Rd 1 would be (lets assume no Frawley)

B Williams, Brown, Frost
HB Toovey, Keefe, Scharenberg

Rationale - 3 big talls blokes one of which especially mobile. Got 1-2 lock down players and a bloke with a beaut kick who you would as the release player. Issue is probably lacks a bit of pace but Williams and Toovey have speed. Sinclair a bit unlucky.

C Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Seedsman
Ruck Witts, Beams, Ball

Rationale - Its a very good midfield. Got speed, ball use and ball winning ability. Ball is probably the one on the cusp and is limited by cirtue of fact he can only play one spot.

HF Swan, Reid, Fasolo
F Kennedy, Cloke, White

Rationale - Thats a good group. Swan and Fasolo are difficult one on matchups. Kennedy there to apply defensive pressure and run. White is the back up ruck. Could ...stress could...be dangerous with the 3rd tall.

Int Freeman, Adams, Lumumba, Macaffer

Depth Goldsack, Blair, Martin, Grundy, Young, Karnezis, Sinclair, Thomas, Dwyer, Gault, Moore etc all in the VFL.

Elliott :eek:

An important point I think. It looks worse when you move one or two more seasons back; nobody at all left from the 2007 draft for example.In four years, really only 2008 was a decent one.

It means that we have a big gap there in experience because its those 2007-2010 drafts that should be giving us the players with 50-120 games at their peak that we are lacking. Yes, we traded in the likes of Ball, Jolly, Krak, Taz and Clarke...but now we are paying the price for using higher picks for mature players. This was the price we paid for immediate success in 2010 and attempting to keep it going with mature top ups early which forced us even further down the pecking order.

Our list issues have their genesis much earlier than 2007. A look at our top 50 misses since 1999 shows:

1999 - D Roach (7) - 1 game
2000 - G Richards (37) - 39 games
2001 - R Cole (11) - 56 games
2001 - T Davidson (27) - 1 game
2001 - M McGough (43) - 37 games
2002 - B Nixon (21) - 3 games
2002 - L Shackleton (29) - 1 game
2002 - C Cloke (43) - 21 games
2003 - B Morrison (17) - 0 games
2003 - B Shaw (32) - 0 games
2003 - B Hall (35) - 0 games
2004 - C Egan (10) - 27 Games
2004 - S Rusling (23) - 17 games
2005 - D Stanley (21) - 5 games
2005 - R Cook (23) - 14 games
2005 - J Anthony (37) - 43 games

These are the guys who should be forming the 26+ age group at our club.

Particularly cruel are the career ending injuries to Roach, Davidson, Rusling, Dick, Hunter, and Caracella as they all looked to have more to offer. Early or premature retirements of Medhurst, Clement, and Leroy further compound the issue.

Our list issues have their genesis much earlier than 2007. A look at our top 50 misses since 1999 shows:

1999 - D Roach (7) - 1 game
2000 - G Richards (37) - 39 games
2001 - R Cole (11) - 56 games
2001 - T Davidson (27) - 1 game
2001 - M McGough (43) - 37 games
2002 - B Nixon (21) - 3 games
2002 - L Shackleton (29) - 1 game
2002 - C Cloke (43) - 21 games
2003 - B Morrison (17) - 0 games
2003 - B Shaw (32) - 0 games
2003 - B Hall (35) - 0 games
2004 - C Egan (10) - 27 Games
2004 - S Rusling (23) - 17 games
2005 - D Stanley (21) - 5 games
2005 - R Cook (23) - 14 games
2005 - J Anthony (37) - 43 games

These are the guys who should be forming the 26+ age group at our club.

Particularly cruel are the career ending injuries to Roach, Davidson, Rusling, Dick, Hunter, and Caracella as they all looked to have more to offer. Early or premature retirements of Medhurst, Clement, and Leroy further compound the issue.

Noel Judkins didn't cover himself in glory. Remember when we had Stanley and Cook coming in and Swallow fell to mdi 30's. Geez i was staggered we missed him. he was WA Capt and had done real well leading in. Also the love affair with Tasmanians made me wonder. To be fair Rusling was v good his body just never got there but Roach, Cole, Egan, Nixon and Morrison were just total failures and they were big picks. Thats a lot to get wrong with good picks.

Never Seen Reid in the Rucko_O

Mike123 yeah you are right. Moore has played in the Ruck

Been playing 2nd ruck the last couple of rounds.

Noel Judkins didn't cover himself in glory. Remember when we had Stanley and Cook coming in and Swallow fell to mdi 30's. Geez i was staggered we missed him. he was WA Capt and had done real well leading in. Also the love affair with Tasmanians made me wonder. To be fair Rusling was v good his body just never got there but Roach, Cole, Egan, Nixon and Morrison were just total failures and they were big picks. Thats a lot to get wrong with good picks.

Agree, if even half of them had gone on to be 200+ gamers we'd be a lot better placed now.

Agree, if even half of them had gone on to be 200+ gamers we'd be a lot better placed now.

if you really want to see how badly they wasted the opportunity set go and have look at the AFL season record which gives every player every draft and you can see who went around them. You will also see the trades and see how badly we did through that period. McKee....OMG!

I would be targeting gws to wrench out a good midfielder like a trelaor or target Dangerfield.
We need a big player especially with Swanny not long before he goes another year or so

Collingwood midfield is woeful in terms of clearances. With Ball on the very twilight of his career its basically Adams and Beams as being the only true inside mids. Pendles should be an outside mid rather than inside because he is the most damaging player in the comp with ball in hand and should get more supply like he and Swanny did in 2010 and 2011.

Would love Freeman too but he shouldn't have a 26 year old seasoned midfielders responsibility.

Dangerfield would be massive for Pies or a Kennedy type.

It is a farce we are allegedly having salary cap issues with the current list.

Come on Pies your supposedly the biggest and best club in Southern Hemisphere.... Land a big fish already!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back