Collingwood vs Suns Player review

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a hard game in which to judge players because the opposition was so poor.

Thinking on those that didn't stand up, there is no doubt that Brown got a bath by Dixon. I won't crucify him because that doesn't happen often but he was well beaten.

I think Seedsman was pretty lacklustre for an outside type in an open game.

I'm not sure who was tasked with the role on Bennell? But he certainly got plenty of it.

With the defense that Gold Coast was playing, you'd think it would be cherry ripe for one of Grundy or Witts to get a few cheapies up forward, but that didn't eventuate. I think reality is that neither are much chop, at this stage of their development, forward of centre.

Also, and it's been done to death, but with the game style we are playing, it takes only one player in a chain not to get off to cover an opponent for the system to fail. I can't help but wonder if playing two rucks is too clunky for this game style? It adds an extra chink to the armour that can be exploited by clever coaches and good sides. I'm really beginning to believe that until the sub rule is abolished, two out-and-out rucks is being a bit fanciful, unless they are absolute quality.
You may be right about two rucks at the moment, but with reduced interchange and the sub rule being abolished next year, I'm tipping two ruckmen could become the norm again. It would make sense to play the boys together as much as possible this year given we aren't going to be real contenders.

I wouldn't get too excited. Marley didn't seem to be under much pressure at all on Saturday and really he had a pretty easy ride. Its also a tragedy he is so one sided..... But as you suggest he played well, did what he had to do and looked pretty good...
I'm not going on one game, as I thought that his kicking was better the previous 3 weeks. I honestly think that he is developing into a gun kick and don't see his one-sidedness as much of an issue, as he's got an elite sidestep to help him compensate -Roids-esque.

Snoop I am a bit like Bucks in that I am a fan of Blairs. Always believe he has been chronically underrated on the board. He is a selfless player and around stoppages is always working, blocking , tackling etc. As such he is often missed for the jobs he does. He creates for others to a degree and his job in the team isn't to be a big goal kicker.

So I think we all acknowledge if he could raise his offensive output it would be great it cant come at the expense of the off the ball and defensive forward work he does. Has to be in addition to that. If we could see his internal ratings by coaches and fellow players I am sure it would be much higher than BF board rating

His possessions ans goals are up this year which was part of what he needs to keep younger guys from displacing him. He is having a good year so far and any calls for him to go out are premature for mine
I totally agree with this. I am aware that I rarely criticise players unless I see something glaringly wrong but I have rarely seen anything to suggest that you would want Blair out of the side. What Snoop Dog said about the little 1 percenters I believe is critical in our forward line and although I rarely get to games to see a lot of it, what I see on the screen tells me that he works as hard as anyone in the side off the ball. His ability to put himself in the way of opposition defenders to allow a team mate to take possession or to give them a critical extra second or two I believe is a massive strength and when it's his turn to go I have never seen him take a short step. Of course we'd all love him to hit the scoreboard himself a bit more but if his efforts are allowing others to take the kudos then I haven't got a bad thing to say about him. Critical part of our side IMO.

I think the most pleasing thing is that Marley Williams has improved his kicking! I know he turned a couple over but all in all his kicking has improved starting with the anzac day game. When he has a kick I have noticed he pauses and looks for the best option whereas previously he'd rush it and chose the wrong option! Hope his kicking continues to rise and a few others in the side can improve like Marley has!

The issue with his kicking to me is just when he is put under pressure. Good players dont crack under pressure and unfortunately he tends to so I really want to see him do it under pressure. That is his big test.

Snoop I am a bit like Bucks in that I am a fan of Blairs. Always believe he has been chronically underrated on the board. He is a selfless player and around stoppages is always working, blocking , tackling etc. As such he is often missed for the jobs he does. He creates for others to a degree and his job in the team isn't to be a big goal kicker.

So I think we all acknowledge if he could raise his offensive output it would be great it cant come at the expense of the off the ball and defensive forward work he does. Has to be in addition to that. If we could see his internal ratings by coaches and fellow players I am sure it would be much higher than BF board rating

His possessions ans goals are up this year which was part of what he needs to keep younger guys from displacing him. He is having a good year so far and any calls for him to go out are premature for mine

yep I agree with that. The offensive output has to increase though. Would be interesting to compare the stats of a Blair to Puopolo. If going to play that type of role then that is the benchmark.

It was a hard game in which to judge players because the opposition was so poor.

Thinking on those that didn't stand up, there is no doubt that Brown got a bath by Dixon. I won't crucify him because that doesn't happen often but he was well beaten.

I think Seedsman was pretty lacklustre for an outside type in an open game.

I'm not sure who was tasked with the role on Bennell? But he certainly got plenty of it.

With the defense that Gold Coast was playing, you'd think it would be cherry ripe for one of Grundy or Witts to get a few cheapies up forward, but that didn't eventuate. I think reality is that neither are much chop, at this stage of their development, forward of centre.

Also, and it's been done to death, but with the game style we are playing, it takes only one player in a chain not to get off to cover an opponent for the system to fail. I can't help but wonder if playing two rucks is too clunky for this game style? It adds an extra chink to the armour that can be exploited by clever coaches and good sides. I'm really beginning to believe that until the sub rule is abolished, two out-and-out rucks is being a bit fanciful, unless they are absolute quality.

Thats a great post Quicky and the issue I struggle with.

If you goign to play this game plan which relies on intense forward pressure it seems counter intuitive to have a bloke the opposition can run through out of defence.

yep I agree with that. The offensive output has to increase though. Would be interesting to compare the stats of a Blair to Puopolo. If going to play that type of role then that is the benchmark.
Have watched that pair always as I reckon its an assumption people will make without knowing they have almost identical career stats. Puopolo if anything should be better having spent more years in a dominant forward line. I think on the stats basis Blair shades Puopolo and is a couple of years younger. Blair is a fraction bigger, tackles more etc

Player Statistics Comparison
Jarryd Blair Name Paul Puopolo
Collingwood Magpies Team Hawthorn Hawks
Forward Position Forward
110 Career Games 95
Gippslanmd Power Origin Norwood
April 14, 1990 Date of Birth December 2, 1987
25yr 1mth Age 27yr 5mth
174cm Height 173cm
81kg Weight 76kg
2010 National Draft Last Drafted In 2010 National Draft
Round 5, Pick #91 Last Draft Position Round 4, Pick #66
Collingwood Magpies Last Drafted By Hawthorn Hawks
Career Stats for Season Career
110 Games 95
7.5 Kicks Per Game 7.6
Handballs Per Game 7.4
16.7 Disposals Per Game 15.1
2.6 Marks Per Game 2.6
0.8 Goals Per Game 0.8
0.5 Behinds Per Game 0.5
4.8 Tackles Per Game 3.9
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
1.0 Frees For Per Game 1.5
0.6 Frees Against Per Game 0.7

Snoop even if you compare 2014 which was seen as a poor season for Blair and a good one for Puopolo they are near identical. Puopolo again had the advantage of playing in a dominant premiership forward line while Blair was in a struggling one. If Puoplol is your benchmark Blair measures up

Forward Position Forward
110 Career Games 95
Turned 24 in 2014 Age Turned 27 in 2014
174cm Height 173cm
81kg Weight 76kg
2014 Stats for Season 2014
21 Games 25
6.6 Kicks Per Game 8.2
Handballs Per Game 7.6
15.4 Disposals Per Game 15.8
Marks Per Game 2.8
0.6 Goals Per Game 0.9
0.5 Behinds Per Game 0.6
Tackles Per Game 4.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
0.9 Frees For Per Game 1.2
Frees Against Per Game 0.4
7.6 Contested Possessions Per Game 6.3
8.0 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 9.0
10.7 Effective Disposals Per Game 11.0
69.5% Effective Disposals % Per Game 69.6%
Clangers Per Game 1.4
0.3 Contested Marks Per Game 0.1
0.6 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.5
1.8 Clearances Per Game 1.7
0.4 Rebound 50s Per Game 0.6
0.9 One Percenters Per Game 1.0
Bounces Per Game 0
87.5 Time On Ground % Per Game 82.8

Snoop even if you compare 2014 which was seen as a poor season for Blair and a good one for Puopolo they are near identical. Puopolo again had the advantage of playing in a dominant premiership forward line while Blair was in a struggling one. If Puoplol is your benchmark Blair measures up

Forward Position Forward
110 Career Games 95
Turned 24 in 2014 Age Turned 27 in 2014
174cm Height 173cm
81kg Weight 76kg
2014 Stats for Season 2014
21 Games 25
6.6 Kicks Per Game 8.2
Handballs Per Game 7.6
15.4 Disposals Per Game 15.8
Marks Per Game 2.8
0.6 Goals Per Game 0.9
0.5 Behinds Per Game 0.6
Tackles Per Game 4.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
0.9 Frees For Per Game 1.2
Frees Against Per Game 0.4
7.6 Contested Possessions Per Game 6.3
8.0 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 9.0
10.7 Effective Disposals Per Game 11.0
69.5% Effective Disposals % Per Game 69.6%
Clangers Per Game 1.4
0.3 Contested Marks Per Game 0.1
0.6 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.5
1.8 Clearances Per Game 1.7
0.4 Rebound 50s Per Game 0.6
0.9 One Percenters Per Game 1.0
Bounces Per Game 0
87.5 Time On Ground % Per Game 82.8[/QUOTE

I see you have discovered afl tables GC. Also that you continue with your J Blair love affair. But I will grant you this year he has lifted his offensive output, and together with T Goldsack moving down back his role can be sustained in the team without us becoming too predictable moving forward.

I see you have discovered afl tables GC. Also that you continue with your J Blair love affair. But I will grant you this year he has lifted his offensive output, and together with T Goldsack moving down back his role can be sustained in the team without us becoming too predictable moving forward

Footy wire comparisons northpie, they are an old friend of mine. Now if you could "discover" how to post your comment apart from my quote we could all be happy.

Footy wire comparisons northpie, they are an old friend of mine. Now if you could "discover" how to post your comment apart from my quote we could all be happy.
it was right above so didn't see the need to repeat with all due respect to a senior moderator on this thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was right above so didn't see the need to repeat with all due respect to a senior moderator on this thread
Listen Bro good advice to a relative newbie would be get a little less lippy and concentrate on the posting advice you have received.

I think the most pleasing thing is that Marley Williams has improved his kicking! I know he turned a couple over but all in all his kicking has improved starting with the anzac day game. When he has a kick I have noticed he pauses and looks for the best option whereas previously he'd rush it and chose the wrong option! Hope his kicking continues to rise and a few others in the side can improve like Marley has!

With experience comes poise and composure. Was always willing to give Williams time as there is so much he does well.

With experience comes poise and composure. Was always willing to give Williams time as there is so much he does well.
Agree. Marley has been kicking much better. That long pass that hit up Swanny in the goal square a few weeks ago was an inspired punt

Yeah I agree. He's so damaging, but needs more of the pill. Might be worth having him 15-20 meters behind play at every stoppage, waiting for the hand ball out. More like an outside mid than a flanker. He'll keep improving - that injury seemed to take away the momentum he was building up though

Seed does seem to take a few weeks to get back up to speed, hopefully he gets a decent run now although he'd be vulnerable to losing his spot with Tooves expected back this week.

I might of been bit Harsh on Witts 1st 2 games back as he seems to get better each game he has come back

Into a frame and straight to the pool room with this post.

Gone Critical jackcass

One thing with the Blair vs Puopolo debate is that Puopolo seems to hit targets inside 50 better from what I've seen. I'm not sure if we can dig up a score assist stat somewhere but I'd imagine his is higher, plus for last year 0.6 goals to 0.9 is a big discrepancy. I'd agree however that they both have much the same ability and Blair being younger will hopefully surpass him, although not by much. But let's be honest, they're both journeyman type players and whilst being serviceable in their roles don't really look like ever achieving much more.

... Then again Blair did just about single-handedly beat Carlton in that 2011 flag unfurling match.. :)

Gone Critical jackcass

One thing with the Blair vs Puopolo debate is that Puopolo seems to hit targets inside 50 better from what I've seen. I'm not sure if we can dig up a score assist stat somewhere but I'd imagine his is higher, plus for last year 0.6 goals to 0.9 is a big discrepancy. I'd agree however that they both have much the same ability and Blair being younger will hopefully surpass him, although not by much. But let's be honest, they're both journeyman type players and whilst being serviceable in their roles don't really look like ever achieving much more.

... Then again Blair did just about single-handedly beat Carlton in that 2011 flag unfurling match.. :)

Don't disagree but realistically there isn't an AFL team anywhere that has 22 elite players run out every weekend, there aren't enough elite players and TPP won't permit it. Every team needs and relies on foot shoulders like Blair to fulfill a role. He's clearly doing his to the satisfaction of the coaches and until Fyfe (or someone similar) are happy to come to the club on Blair's salary we'll just need to get used to it.

Don't disagree but realistically there isn't an AFL team anywhere that has 22 elite players run out every weekend, there aren't enough elite players and TPP won't permit it. Every team needs and relies on foot shoulders like Blair to fulfill a role. He's clearly doing his to the satisfaction of the coaches and until Fyfe (or someone similar) are happy to come to the club on Blair's salary we'll just need to get used to it.

Of course. In fact you need probably 5 or 6 of those journeymen players in your best 22.

Gone Critical jackcass

Agree with what you say. Love the way Blairy goes about it and always have a soft spot for players that get the very best from their talent. I understand that he is replaceable if he drops away or a lot of new talent arrive.

Where I do like to defend him is where people say we need him out of the team to pump games into the youngsters because he won't be part of our next successful side. A lot of posters don't realise that all successful sides have their Puopolos and Blairs. Blairy can be part of our next flag if he holds his line. If you have ever played footy you will understand just what a less talented but heart and soul player brings to the mix. Often it can't be measured but ask their teammates and they won't have any trouble endorsing them

Don't think there can be any doubt that Marley is the most improved player at Collingwood this year. Should be doing well in the Copeland voting at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back