List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Doc Tennent

Debutant
May 24, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that our season has officially ended, I know that I am personally looking ahead to this year's off-season. :D

The purpose of this thread is to hopefully preview and discuss likely draft targets in the National Draft (this will be clearer at the conclusion of this round when our picks are determined), and also the strategy which Collingwood should/might take into not only the National Draft, but list management as a whole with regards to the Rookie Draft and PSD.

Eg.
- Who/what type of player will we look to use with our picks in the National Draft?
- How many players will retire/be delisted and hence require replacement on our senior list?
- Will we be able to possibly snag Moore with a 2nd round pick?
- How many of these spots will be taken by upgraded rookies?
- Do you think we should look to have 38, 39, 40 senior players on our list prior to next season?
Etc.

Would love a fast skillful outside mid, similar to a Stephen Hill.

Finding one in the second round could be difficult.

Should be good to have a second rounder in the 20's, cant imagine we have had one for a while.

I reckon Hine will try and get another Top 20 Pick

I agree that we might look to trade into the top 20 once again. How do you think we will get the pick? Who would we want to use it on in the draft? (Edited)

Let's assume this is the draft order in the first round:

#1: STK
#2: MEL
#3: GWS
#4: BRL
#5: WBD
#6: CARL
#7: GCS
#8: COLL

#1,2,3,4
1-4 would be unlikely to bid for Moore. You'd think that McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw, Wright and maybe Durdin/Laverde could all be ahead of Moore? This could very well change if Melbourne are awarded a priority pick, though.

#5,6
It's unlikely that Bulldogs/Carlton would want to commit their 1st pick to Moore before the trade period, which would limit their ability to trade. I've heard that Bulldogs are interested in O'Rourke (former pick #2), so they may want to keep that pick available and likely wouldn't see Moore as a top 5 prospect, especially with the chance that one of those I mentioned earlier may slip to them. Similarly, Carlton are reportedly interested in Jaksch and again that could require a 1st round pick to have the insurance of getting the deal done. The main issue here is that both Carlton and Bulldogs need a KPF, but apparently MM has said he will probably draft another midfielder? And Moore is seen by many as more of a KPD anyway.

Who knows what Gold Coast will do, but it seems they have plenty of key position talent and would probably be inclined to hold onto their pick and hope for a slider in the draft/take best available/or maybe even trade this pick away or at least hold onto it in the hope of a big trade opening up.

?
And of course, there is always a chance that someone will bid for Moore for no other reason than to force us to use our 1st round pick on him. I'm not sure, but I feel that this is an unlikely scenario and if anyone bids for Moore it will be on the back of his own merits.

I would have Moore ahead of Dudrin and Laverde.

With us passing on other Father/Sons I reckon the other teams know we are right into Moore when we nominate him

I am worried about our list next year because -
We have just lost Luke Ball who was still a regular midfielder (17 games this year) for us and had a strong defensive element to his game.
We have lost another midfielder (Macaffer) who also plays a defensive role.
We have lost a young gun (Scharenberg) who we would hope would've made an impact in 2015.
We have used 2 draft picks in last 2 drafts on mature age key forwards.
One hasn't worked out and the other hasn't set the world on fire.
Ben Reid is battling with his body big time.
What would be the thought process of our list managers? Do we load up on kids? Have we got the right mix now?
We seem to be deficient in a few areas but I can't see any obvious fixes in one draft. Can someone who has a better handle on these things give me an idea of how our list shapes up right now for the future.

We have just lost Luke Ball who was still a regular midfielder (17 games this year) for us and had a strong defensive element to his game.
We have lost a young gun (Scharenberg) who we would hope would've made an impact in 2015.
What would be the thought process of our list managers? Do we load up on kids? Have we got the right mix now?
We seem to be deficient in a few areas but I can't see any obvious fixes in one draft. Can someone who has a better handle on these things give me an idea of how our list shapes up right now for the future.

Despite Luke Ball retiring, I think Adams/Thomas who only played 12 & 13 games each this year should be able to cover for him as long as they stay injury-free. Hopefully a fit Swan should also help with this. I think an inside midfielder might be the type of player we should look to draft though. Maybe a mature-aged player who gets delisted that we could put onto the rookie list? Similar to Richmond and Matt Thomas/Anthony Miles.

Look to Williams to cover for Caff next year, with Freeman, Kennedy, Elliott, Broomhead and Karnezis to step up and play through the middle a bit more next year too.

White didn't cost us too much and his last few games in VFL/AFL have been decent enough to suggest we may have something to work with next year.

Ben Reid. What can we really do besides hope? He is too good to just trade away but at the same time he is taking up a lot of our salary and if he's not playing it leaves a huge hole in our team.

We've already loaded up on kids (5 early picks in the last 2 drafts) but we will probably continue to turnover some middle-aged players who are not taking us forward (Clarke, Yagmoor, Dwyer, Martin, Blair).

Maccaffer's role was overrated and Taylor Adams can replace Luke Ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maccaffer's role was overrated and Taylor Adams can replace Luke Ball.

Caff was never the same after he Smashed Cotchin and then he and the rest of Non-Pie Fans had a Sook

Are we 100% taking Moore, even with an 8th pick? I think i saw an interview in which Moore was very confident of coming to the pies. I knew we would when we had 10-14th pick and i'd still like us to if our hand is forced but it must make the decision a little cloudier.

Are we 100% taking Moore, even with an 8th pick? I think i saw an interview in which Moore was very confident of coming to the pies. I knew we would when we had 10-14th pick and i'd still like us to if our hand is forced but it must make the decision a little cloudier.

Yep - it is 100%.

Club has not Offically said that but you read between the line they have.

I'd hope that if we don't rate Moore at our pick or better, that we would be willing to overlook him. If we don't rate him at our pick, it would be even better for us if someone bid an earlier pick on him, because that would mean that someone we rate above him would be more likely to slip to our pick.

I'd hope that if we don't rate Moore at our pick or better, that we would be willing to overlook him. If we don't rate him at our pick, it would be even better for us if someone bid an earlier pick on him, because that would mean that someone we rate above him would be more likely to slip to our pick.
I can say that we do rate Moore

My thinking is that we will 100% take him. We maybe have to use our first pick, hopefully not.

So we have finished 11th. We will go into the draft with pick 8 (or 9 if Melbourne get a compensation pick) which would also give us approximately pick 26 and 44 to use in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I'd like to see some predictions on who we might draft with these picks as they stand? Or if you can forsee a trade, give an opinion on what picks you think we will take into the draft?

Eg. (I don't know a whole lot about the draft at this point :p)
Pick #8: D. Moore
Pick #26: J. Garlett
Pick #44: D. Viojo-Rainbow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back