List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure where to put this but found this interesting on an article i found on 'mature' aged players.

I read this article recently also. I'm guessing he'd be more somebody that we could look at with a rookie pick or very late draft pick. Haven't heard anything else besides what's written in that article, though.

That's what I meant when I said we start by bidding a later pick (our last live pick or whatever), which we are doing by nominating him. :thumbsu:

Glad to have that cleared up anyway.
Agreed we are committed but only with a very late pick. Won't be relevant in Moores case

Not sure where to put this but found this interesting on an article i found on 'mature' aged players.

Sounds a tad like when we where linked to Both Beams and Josh Thomas saying we where heavily in to them

Has anyone heard any rumours on Shannon Taylor, who is into him, who is not, if anyone is interested in him? Like his story and can play too!

Can we trade out our first pick and get him with second rounder?

Nah, probably not
Traded in/out picks are not included in father son calculations. Eg. If we somehow trade a player for pick 3 and stkilda nominate Moore we do not use pick 3 that we traded in. We would still only have to use pick 9. Same if we trade pick 9 we give up the chance to draft him if a club from pick 1-8 nominate him.

Traded in/out picks are not included in father son calculations. Eg. If we somehow trade a player for pick 3 and stkilda nominate Moore we do not use pick 3 that we traded in. We would still only have to use pick 9. Same if we trade pick 9 we give up the chance to draft him if a club from pick 1-8 nominate him.

The pick you are using for a Father/Son Pick are Untrable

Thanks, so he is a chance to get drafted then. He would be a good fit for CFC, fast, skillful, loves a goal, exactly what we need. I am surprised the bombers are into him, they have many similar players already on their list.

Simon Goosey is a paid part time assistant scout for the Bombers. Genuinely think up to 4 Dolphins could get drafted (Shannon Taylor, Ben Cavarra, Nic Newman, Josh Tynan)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nominations are before the trade period, so traded picks etc are impossible to come into calculation.

Simon Goosey is a paid part time assistant scout for the Bombers. Genuinely think up to 4 Dolphins could get drafted (Shannon Taylor, Ben Cavarra, Nic Newman, Josh Tynan)

What do you think will get him 3/4 rounder or rookie? how is his fitness going has it improved?

What do you think will get him 3/4 rounder or rookie? how is his fitness going has it improved?

From what I understand, he came across (from WA) late pre season and was starting behind the 8 - ball from day 1. Was just starting to come good before injuries hit him mid season and limited him to 10 games (9 goals - 4 times in the best).

From what I understand, he came across (from WA) late pre season and was starting behind the 8 - ball from day 1. Was just starting to come good before injuries hit him mid season and limited him to 10 games (9 goals - 4 times in the best).

Still up in the air then regarding being drafted, I understand he has been invited to the state combine hope he is fit for it. I would love CFC to take a shot at him rookie listed if necessary. Thanks for the info!

On Moore whilst he is a promising player, from his exposed form this year he isn't top 10 on performance. If a club bids for him prior to your first pick they are just trying to screw Collingwood over. I would have thought a Fremantle or Geelong could and should bid their 1st pick and Collingwood would match with their second.

If the system works you should be able to use your 1st pick on whoever best suits your needs.

I know that. Don't read my comment without reading to what I was replying to.
I'm assuming you're replying to me?
I know exactly what you were replying to. Maybe you should re-read your own post, because it is full of irrelevant twaddle.

I think it could go either way. I don't think it just depends on clubs rating him somewhere between 1-7. Carlton's 1-7 could be completely different to the bulldogs 1-7. The player that Carlton rates as 2 could be bulldogs 6 and there for Carlton's 2nd rated player could be available at there pick. If say Carlton lock in Moore at pick 6 because they rate him as the 6th best player, come draft day their 2nd best rated player could still be available at pick 6. It sounds like a risk to lock him in. Also if any side locks in Moore with their first pick, it means they can't use that pick to trade with. It could be a busy trade period and sides would be taking a risk by limiting their trade potential by locking away a pick between 1-7.

Let's assume this is the draft order in the first round:

#1,2,3,4
1-4 would be unlikely to bid for Moore. You'd think that McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw, Wright and maybe Durdin/Laverde could all be ahead of Moore? This could very well change if Melbourne are awarded a priority pick, though.

Agreed on the 5-6 players who are probably ahead of Moore at this stage, but the timing* will not be there for Melbourne to know whether they'll get pick 3 or an end of first round compensation pick for Frawley before they have to bid (bids must be in before the start of the trade period which is well before the end of free agency).

There's still some chance that we might might not have to use pick 8 to secure Moore, as there are probably 5 or 6 players ahead of him already and the Cuns are well stocked for talls - they also need to win now (ie. make the 8 in 2015 as a minimum) and with two first round picks in play I suspect they'll probably hang onto them as trade bait as they'll more than likely be an active player in trade week.

* The AFL wont decide on compensation picks until the end of free agency, as compensation picks depend in part on whether any players subsequently sign with a team that is losing a free agent - eg. the Scum last year who gained nothing after losing Eddie Betts and gaining Daisy Thomas in free agency.

Last edited:
Good summary.

Personally I don't think Moore is THAT well performed and I think there's a high chance that we will get him with the 2nd round pick. I'm not entirely sure I'd even want him if we have to take him at #8.

It is going to be a tough call for a lot of clubs, there was no real dominate tall in the national championships. Most had a good game or two but none consistently dominated the opposition. Moore and Goddard have been patchy at TAC level, Wright and McCartin have played better more consistent footy at TAC Level than the previous two but still have not consistently dominated. McKenzie has probably been the form tall kicking bags of goals and some believe that he has shot into top ten calculations, he has struggled against teams higher on the ladder.

Durdin is playing first grade in the SANFL, playing reasonably consistent footy but not dominating, which you would not expect at this stage of his development.

Clubs with top 7 picks are going to be divided on how they rate Moore. I do know one thing though, if a club wants to pick Moore it will not be a bluff, it will be because they genuinely rate Moore as a top 7 pick. What Hine will do who know's, I imagine he might get lynched if he passes over on Stewart and then Moore and they both turn out to be AFL standard KPP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back