Past Colm Begley (2006-2008)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Colm Begley

Elevate this man!

Agree. I have sung the praises of this lad on this forum often. I had the pleasure of seeing him in the ressies a few times last year and he impressed me with his improvement from a novice who had never played the game to one of our better players in the Suncoast Lions. He has poise, is athletic, quick and is a very good left foot kick that is long and accurate. He is not scared to go in hard and can tackle well. I hope that he is elevated.

I have seen him interviewed on TV once or twice and he has a wicked sense of humour. I like him.

Agree. I have sung the praises of this lad on this forum often.

I can see why now. He looked like he belonged didn't he. Got himself out of a few tricky situations with great composure. Did a few nice one-twos with team mates to free up space and his kicking skills are very very good. I think he will get elevated and I think he will play plenty of senior football this year.

colm2.jpg

Name: Colm Begley
Studying: Bachelor of Business
Background:
The remaining half of the Lions' Irish recruiting "experiment", Begley has previous experience playing in Australian after touring with an Ireland under-age side. Made a meteoric rise to senior ranks when he debuted against Melbourne in Round 2 of the 2006 NAB Cup against Melbourne - getting there even faster than his illustrious Irish predecessors Jim Stynes and Tadhg Kennelly. Seems likely to develop into a tall running defender or a mobile half-forward and his skills with the unfamiliar oval-shaped ball are progressing rapidly. Hails from Stradbally in County Laios (pronounced Leesh)
His Uni link. He is a bright lad as well.

I'm sponsoring Colm this year - met him just after he arrived from Ireland - my mum's family are from County Clare ... he is a truly lovely boy and so dedicated to learning the craft. Spoke to him a few weeks ago during one of the Community camp appearances. Very humble and deserving of the praise he is starting to get...

I'm sponsoring Colm this year - met him just after he arrived from Ireland - my mum's family are from County Clare ... he is a truly lovely boy and so dedicated to learning the craft. Spoke to him a few weeks ago during one of the Community camp appearances. Very humble and deserving of the praise he is starting to get...

I spoke to Colm on Saturday and had mentioned I had thought about sponsoring him, but Shermo won out. Colm was cool. I said I was glad you are sponsoring him.

He is a fantastic person to talk to and like you said, he is a great lad (I would feel strange saying 'lovely boy' :p ).

How does that work at Sponsorship dinners?

You get two boys to yourself? ;)

in between the 2...greedy girl that i am !!!
last year was between not-rog and mikey, that was funny...with ash opposite and shermo to the left. plenty of laughs on that table...

From the Lions Website,

Show who the money?
By Simon White, for Brisbane Lions Football Club

News
It is less a case of "show me" than "show who?" the money, after the Brisbane Lions' Irish rookie Colm Begley roosted a supergoal in last week's NAB Cup semi-final win over Geelong.

NAB donates $1000 to the junior club of any player who kicks a supergoal during the pre-season competition. The only problem in Begley’s case is that he doesn't have an Australian junior club, having come direct from Ireland to the Lions in the 2005 rookie draft.

On Tuesday afternoon it was still no clearer who would benefit from Begley’s bomb. Begley himself, preparing for Saturday's NAB Cup grand final against Carlton, wasn’t overly concerned - although the likeable 20-year-old from County Laios said Stradbally, his original Gaelic club, would be his first choice for the donation.

"They wouldn't spend it over the bar or anything like that," Begley chuckled when asked what he thought Stradbally might do with the funds.

"If they get it I'd like to see them do something for the kids - whether that be a training camp, new kits or something with the facilities. The president of the club helped me out quite a bit when I was coming through the ranks and I'm sure he'd be able to put it to good use."

Something Begley has been putting to good use throughout the NAB Cup is the running ability he initially developed in the Gaelic game. When he first arrived at the Gabba in December 2005, most observers thought his future lay as a mobile defender, in the mould of his compatriot, Sydney star Tadhg Kennelly.

After a debut season spent learning the oval-balled game and several positions, he's happy to be settled in the back half of the field, where he can put his athleticism and endurance to good use.

"To begin with almost everyone thought I'd play at half-back. But during my first year I ended up playing a lot of positions - in the midfield and a bit at half-forward - and I didn't really have a set position," Begley explained.

"Last year, every game was an experience for me. But I'm happy now to have settled at half-back. I have my head around things and I know my role - I have a much better idea of what's going on out there than I did a year ago.

"Coming from a Gaelic background has definitely helped. Running, playing on and handballing is a big part of our game and it has probably made it easier to back myself. [Coach] Leigh [Matthews] has been encouraging me to run whenever I can and back myself."

Begley's supergoal was certainly evidence of just that. Streaming forward from defence, he left fly with a left-foot bomb from 55m that split the big sticks and gave his teammates a few chuckles.

"It was a great feeling. I didn't think it would go that far and then I thought it was probably going a bit too far to the left," he said.

"Then I looked up and realised it was actually going to go pretty close. All the boys came running in and they were pretty excited - getting around each other like that is something we've been looking to do a bit more of this year.

"There was a little bit of laughter afterwards when everyone realised what had happened."

Like the rest of his young Lions teammates, Begley is excited about the prospect of a first-ever NAB Cup joining the premiership cups in the Gabba trophy cabinet. The Lions have started underdogs in every round so far but Begley says the betting hasn't reflected the level of confidence in the playing group.

"It's a great feeling to be getting ready for a Grand Final. I've seen some of the video clips (of the premierships) and they are amazing," he said.

"Right from before the first game there was a really good vibe. And that's continued on - there is a really good atmosphere, it's a really united team and there is a lot of enjoyment every game.

"We've done well to get this far and hopefully on Saturday we can play the way we have been and execute well again. There is a lot pride in the Lions and it would be fantastic to win."

The first glimps of Begg's last year vs. the eagles, was pretty average. (But i still remember Blacky's 2 goals in a minute, CLASSIC!) Anyway, he looked a LOT different this year in the NAB cup. He's been more constistant, plays with some more class and is shaping up to be a regular member of the 22.
Good on ya Beggs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Begley has been handy in the back line so far. I doubt that he will be able to make the first 18 regularly but he can be a handy back-up for the likes of Drummond and Copeland.

Who's going to forget his 9-pointer against the Cats? It may take a while. "The money's going to Ireland!" :D

Link

Begley in line for Lions elevation

By Jennifer Witham, Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

News

IRISH import Colm Begley has jumped to the top of the queue to replace Michael Voss on the Brisbane Lions senior list should the AFL grant permission for such a move.
The three-time premiership captain will remain on the list this year owing to salary reasons even though he has retired from the game.
The Lions are looking to replace Voss with one of their seven rookie-listed players, with the 20-year-old import leading the charge on the back of some solid pre-season form.
“Colm is capable of becoming a regular senior player,” Lions coach Leigh Matthews told afl.com.au on Thursday.
“We certainly believe that. He’s not just holding his place in the pre-season – we’ve got great faith in him.
“It’s all on form, but the expectation is that he can become a regular senior player.
“We’ve got the ability to elevate a rookie because Michael Voss is on the permanent long-term injury list. So we have to make that decision next week, but I guess right at the moment, Colm is at the head of the queue.”
The Kangaroos were told last month they were unable to elevate a rookie to replace the retired Jonathan Hay, owing to the defender agreeing to sign a release from his two-year contract.
While the Lions are hopeful Voss’s spot can be filled by an emerging rookie, the AFL is yet to grant the club permission to elevate any player.
“The difference between Voss and Hay is that Hay signed a deal to release him from the contract,” AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said.
“Voss has obviously retired as well but he’s been retained on the list for TPP (Total Player Payments) reasons.
“Brisbane has put in a medical consideration to the AFL, stating he is not capable of playing AFL football because of his knee injury.
“That has to be considered by the AFL medical commissioners, which hasn’t been done yet.
“If they agree, then they will be able to upgrade someone as a replacement because he is not fit and able to play. The decision on that hasn’t happened, but the Lions have put in the request for it to be considered.”
Matthews said Begley was the obvious choice based on the form the young Irishman has shown in the club’s three NAB Cup matches, and on how much he has improved since arriving at the club late in 2005.
“He’s got a great competitive character and I was impressed with him straight away. He picked up the ball skills so quickly that we gave him a game in the NAB Cup 12 months ago,” he said.
“His second game of AFL football was a senior game at NAB Cup level. We got him on the field for a couple of senior games last year, as he was learning the game, and we played him this year and I think he’s played really well.”
The Lions coach compared Begley’s game to that of the Swans’ Irish premiership player Tadhg Kennelly but said his own charge was learning the basics of the Australian game much faster.
“Tadgh has the same background but I think Colm has picked up the game a bit quicker than Tadhg did,” he said.
“Tadgh took a few years before he became a really good player. But the running half-back is what Tadhg is, and what Colm is becoming.”
Matthews continues to be “pleasantly surprised” by Begley, after initially expecting him to struggle to adapt to the skills required to play Australian rules.
“I thought to myself, he’s going to struggle to even do normal training with the team in the first 12 months. That was my expectation,” he said.
“But after about a month, he was fine. I was just amazed at how quickly … after about a month, you wouldn’t have known he’d come from Ireland. You would have thought he was just a normal kid who’d played footy all his life.”

i would LOVE to see him get promoted :D i have been to the county he is from its a great area maybe thats why he is so good :D lol

always knew he'd be capable of great things - has the fighting irish spirit...

He looked very good from what I saw. He is very poised for someone who has only played for a while. He is still very skinny though. Needs to beef up. Lock him in the gym. Good raking left foot kick as well.

Has he been promoted, his AFL Dreamteam price suggests he is. Too expensive for a rookie listed player?

Has he been promoted, his AFL Dreamteam price suggests he is. Too expensive for a rookie listed player?

Can we do it yet? I think we have to wait till round 1? Get on him though, will rack plenty of possessions from half-back.

His price would be up because he's actually player some senior footy last year when he was temporarily promoted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back