Past Colm Begley (2006-2008)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Colm Begley

The "not telling" him anything is interesting. Could they possibly be weighing up whether to re-rookie him or not?
Surely he can't spend a 4th year on the rookie list?

I wouldn't be surprised if we are thinking about re-drafting him. If there are currently 7 spots on the list (6 if Tippett is promoted), that is a lot of young draftees to take at once, particularly when we still only have 1 pick per "live" round. I can't believe we are thinking about including that many 17/18 year olds on the list. Begley may well be on a list of "mature" players who we are thinking about taking late in the draft.

I am ambivalent about his future. My main reason for re-signing him is because it is a bit of a dog act not to after he wore a 3rd year on the rookie list when he could have gone elsewhere on a senior list. But that's hardly a good footballing reason. Leaving that aside, I had him pegged reasonably low. As a back flanker/pocket, I have Drummond, JMac, Roe, Adcock, Collier, McGrath and Hawk all ahead of him - pretty long list, unfortunately.

Surely he can't spend a 4th year on the rookie list?

I wouldn't be surprised if we are thinking about re-drafting him. If there are currently 7 spots on the list (6 if Tippett is promoted), that is a lot of young draftees to take at once, particularly when we still only have 1 pick per "live" round. I can't believe we are thinking about including that many 17/18 year olds on the list. Begley may well be on a list of "mature" players who we are thinking about taking late in the draft.

I am ambivalent about his future. My main reason for re-signing him is because it is a bit of a dog act not to after he wore a 3rd year on the rookie list when he could have gone elsewhere on a senior list. But that's hardly a good footballing reason. Leaving that aside, I had him pegged reasonably low. As a back flanker/pocket, I have Drummond, JMac, Roe, Adcock, Collier, McGrath and Hawk all ahead of him - pretty long list, unfortunately.

If we're thinking of re-drafting him late, why not just keep him there? Unless we're tossing up between Begley and a potential gun at pick 93?

If we're thinking of re-drafting him late, why not just keep him there? Unless we're tossing up between Begley and a potential gun at pick 93?
Or we are tossing up between Begley and an equally marginal player on another list or in a state league?

Ironically it was Voss' spot who he took on the senior list in 2007. Now Voss has taken it away from him.

Comments about him being the 100th Lion reminded me of this thread. Probably finished around the 60 mark.

2007 Review
Quigley's 2008 Review

2008 End of Season Review

Colm Begley started on the rookie list for the 3rd year but he was a nominated rookie meaning he was able to play from round 1. The Lions had some terrible patches in the early part of the season but Begley, playing a defensive role at half back, was one guy who was having a crack and was one of our more consistent players.

Then after playing the first 5 games he suffered a quad injury during training, which virtually killed his whole season. It was a typical ‘Brisbane quad’ diagnosed as a 4 week injury and ended up keeping him out for most of the year.

Towards the end of the year he eased himself back through Suncoast and made his return to the senior side in round 18. Perhaps the lack of a football background was a problem for him, because he looked out of sorts and had a few ‘deer in the headlights’ moments. In round 21 he was dropped and replaced by compatriot Pearce Hanley.

At the end of the year Begley was delisted. If the departure of Corrie was a surprise then Begley was a shock. After being a bit of a favourite with Leigh he was not wanted under the Voss regime, and it showed with differing opinions on the "Irish experiment" there is extra uncertainty for the Irishmen playing in our game. Begley can consider himself quite unlucky and is the first Lions' player in a long time who could argue they weren't given a decent opportunity. With his upbeat personality and being a bit of a larrikin Begley was a popular figure at the Lions and many will be disappointed to see him leave.

begleydy0.jpg

iw2c0y.jpg

If Begley could have been kept on the rookie list for another year I wonder if Voss would have kept him?

If the plan is to try to re-rookie him I don't think it will work - I think he will be picked up late in the National Draft

If Black and Notting are to be Veterans outside there can be 7 additions to the list - I wonder if something is cooking in the PSD - it is all very intriguing - is there a salary problem in having 40 on the list?

Link

Begley hopes to stay on

By Jennifer Witham
10:19 AM Wed 29 October, 2008

IRISH import Colm Begley believes he is worth another AFL contract after being delisted by the Brisbane Lions on Tuesday.
Begley, 22, was dumped by new coach Michael Voss after three years and 29 senior games as a Lion.
The young defender will now try his luck in the upcoming drafts as he believes he was only starting to show his potential as an AFL player.
"I thought this year would be a really big year for me. I've played the last three years and you get to a stage where you've played 20 or 30 games of AFL, and you've gained a lot more confidence in yourself and your skills," Begley told SEN on Wednesday morning.
"You look forward to really pushing the boundaries and really trying to improve.
"Hopefully that's what happens now, and a different club might push me on to learn a few different things from different coaches and players."
After being recruited to the club from Ireland's County Laois as an international rookie at the end of 2005, Begley was restricted to just eight games through injury this year.
He was informed of the decision to delist him once he returned from an end-of-season trip back home by Lions' football manager Graeme Allan, who was responsible for his initial recruitment.
Despite asking the Lions to hold off on making it public until the end of the ongoing International Rules series – for which he is part of the Irish squad - the club's list changes were released on Tuesday.
Begley said he hopes he can remain in Australia and obtain another AFL contract, but would also be content with returning to Ireland to finish a university degree and play Gaelic football part-time.
"There are a few options. At the moment, I'm focussed on the International Rules series, which is very important for me," he said.
"I'm enjoying the trip down here as it's keeping my mind off what's happened and the shock of being delisted.
"After the series, I'll look to see if there's any coach interested in picking me up in the pre-season draft.
"I've talked to my manager who is hopeful and that will play a major part in my decision of whether I stay or go back home.
"There are options from both sides. I would like to stay here. I've enjoyed the last few years and it's been a great experience.
"If I went home, there would also be a few options there and to go back home to my family wouldn't be a bad thing either."

begley12mh5.jpg

Link

Ireland manager backs Begley
By Matt Burgan
1:00 PM Wed 29 October, 2008

IRELAND manager Sean Boylan has no doubt Colm Begley will be redrafted by another AFL club after he was delisted by the Brisbane Lions in the lead-up to Friday's first list lodgment.

Begley is playing for Ireland in the Toyota International Rules Series and Boylan said the 22-year-old was showing nothing but professionalism despite the untimely news.

"He's here and he wants to play for Ireland and he wants to play well for Ireland, and he wants to be a team player and he is a team player. He is a very good player," Boylan said from Arden St, where the Ireland team was training on Wednesday.

"Like all young men, you can go through peaks and vales in your career.

"He's very young and I have no doubt he'll be picked up – he'll be snapped up. He won't be left in the sidelines.

"It is [an interesting situation]. He came back to train with his club … he told us he would be free from October 11, but he came back like the professional that he is to do what he had to do.

"I just hope everything works out for him."

Boylan said with a laugh that several Irish counties would relish the opportunity to have him return to his native country if he was overlooked by AFL clubs in the upcoming drafts.

"I know the Gaelic teams would be glad to have him back – oh lord, would they what," Boylan said.

"The lads would want him back at Laois where he's from, because he's a good fella."

begley13ea1.jpg

Link

Aussie team-mate shocked by call on Begley’s Oz future
Thursday October 30 2008

AUSTRALIAN International Rules player Jared Brennan has expressed shock and disappointment at the sacking of his former Brisbane Lions’ team-mate Colm Begley, writes Catherine Murphy.
Begley, who was recruited at the end of 2005, was officially delisted this week. The 22-year-old’s dismissal comes as a surprise in AFL circles after he played 29 senior matches for the club including 19 in 2007. A quad injury this season limited him to just eight games.
“I didn’t know about it until last Friday night and it really shocked me because he has played so well for a few years,” Brennan said.
“It’s out of my control but I really feel for him because he’s such a good person. On top of that he’s adapted to the game so well. I really hope that everything works out. He’s a really positive person. He didn’t tell me and I didn’t pick up that anything was wrong. That’s the type of person Colm is. He’s so positive you wouldn’t be able to tell.”
However, the pair will be rivals tomorrow in the concluding test of the International Rules series.
“I have a great passion to play for Australia and he has a great passion for Ireland but he knows that when you cross the white line we’re not team-mates. It was good to play against him though. I was proud to see him playing for his country and I’m sure he was proud to see me playing for mine,” added Brennan.

begley5cw6.jpg

Link

Begley looks at option of return to native Laois
By Catherine Murphy
Monday November 03 2008

DELISTED Irish rookie Colm Begley has said that while he is hopeful he can continue his AFL career having been let go by the Brisbane Lions, he is open to the fact that a return to Laois could be his best option.
Begley played 29 senior matches for the Lions including 19 in season 2007. However the 22-year-old only managed eight games in 2008 due to a quad injury. He was recruited to Brisbane at the end of 2005.
"I'd like to stay in AFL so I'll meet my manager and we'll look at my options," he said.
"There are advantages and disadvantages of staying here. Obviously playing AFL as a career is a great opportunity so hopefully I played well enough that other teams have taken notice of me ... But I have my family back home and they mean the world to me. They're the reason I'm here. They've always been so encouraging to me so going home would be no problem to me. Obviously playing for Laois is a huge incentive to go back as well."
Regardless of the uncertainty surrounding his future, Begley said he was determined to remain upbeat.
"I'm looking forward to the future. It's an adventure and whatever happens, happens."
Having been part of the Irish team which clinched the series against Australia last Friday at the MCG, Begley insisted that playing in the series is one of the highlights of his career.
"I was playing with lads that I've looked up to for years and that feeling of playing for your country and beating the Aussies is amazing. Guys like Seán Cavanagh, Graham Canty, You could names names all day. When you see them pushing right to the end you're just thinking that you have to do it too."
Begley maintained that playing alongside the likes of Irish captain Cavanagh was an even bigger thrill than pulling on the same jersey as AFL superstars like Jonathan Brown.
"AFL is a great career and I'm very lucky but these lads were who I looked up to when I was growing up. I could only dream about playing with them so to be here wearing the Irish jersey with them is amazing."
In what was an entertaining concluding test at the MCG, the game was even forced to break for some male intruders, who had decided to sport dresses and pink wigs.
"I did think about nailing one of them with a tackle but I was just a bit tired at that stage. To be honest I was delighted to see them come on. I needed a rest at that stage," Begley joked.

begley4vj3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Irish quartet gets training call-up
By Luke Holmesby
1:34 PM Mon 10 November, 2008

FOUR Irish players have been given permission to train with AFL sides over summer as the club's look towards the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft and NAB AFL Rookie Draft. Discarded Brisbane Lions' rookie Colm Begley is the best known of the Emerald Isle invasion. He will train at Collingwood alongside fellow Irishman Marty Clarke in a bid to add to his eight AFL games.

begley15qg5.jpg

Note: Begley has played 29 AFL games.

I wonder if Begley could still be counted as an International rookie. Would increase his appeal if he doesn't have to be included in the salary cap.

Would break my heart to see Begley at Collingwood.

Jeez they love our cast-offs though don't they.

I know when I saw he was training with us - I 1st Tought was Another LION:eek:

Link

Collingwood football operations manager Geoff Walsh has said that the club will monitor Begley in training before deciding whether to recruit the former Lion in the main AFL draft or the pre-season draft. Begley must nominate for the main draft by November 19, with the draft itself taking place on November 29. However if he receives assurances from Collingwood that they are eager to sign him he may wait for the pre-season draft, which is for un-contracted players and takes place on December 16. With fewer clubs involved in the pre-season draft it reduces Begley's chances of being picked up by another club in the main draft.
"No one has made any commitments either way," Walsh said.
"We just want to have a look at him and see how he goes for a few sessions," he added.

begley2re3.jpg

In all honesty hows he go?

From what i heard he was travelling pretty well up in QLD but he got delisted. Ive hardly seen him play, can someone please enlighten me? Much appreciated.

Well Leigh Matthews was just on SEN and Kevin Bartlett brought up the Irish experiment and Begley, which Leigh replied that he was suprised with the delisting of Colm as he thought he had learnt very well & fast for a bloke 3 years in the system.

Begley on trial at Collingwood
by Brian Murphy, 11 November 2008

Colm Begley’s AFL career may not be dead in the water just yet as Collingwood have offered him a trial this week.
The Laois native, who starred for Ireland in the International Rules win over Australia, was delisted by the Brisbane Lions last month and there was widespread speculation that his career in the AFL was about to come to an end.
Begley had hinted that he was considering a move back to Gaelic football with Laois, but he was keen to give the professional game one more tilt before returning home to the O’Moore County, who are managed by new manager Sean Dempsey this year.
The Stradbally clubman struggled with injury and a loss of form with the Lions last season, but his performance for Ireland may have proved the ideal shop window for his considerable talents.

Begley on trial at Collingwood
by Brian Murphy, 11 November 2008

Colm Begley’s AFL career may not be dead in the water just yet as Collingwood have offered him a trial this week.
The Laois native, who starred for Ireland in the International Rules win over Australia, was delisted by the Brisbane Lions last month and there was widespread speculation that his career in the AFL was about to come to an end.
Begley had hinted that he was considering a move back to Gaelic football with Laois, but he was keen to give the professional game one more tilt before returning home to the O’Moore County, who are managed by new manager Sean Dempsey this year.
The Stradbally clubman struggled with injury and a loss of form with the Lions last season, but his performance for Ireland may have proved the ideal shop window for his considerable talents.

Is that right? - I didn't see much of the 2 games (basically not interested) but in what I did see Colm did practically nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back