Marijuana sales tax revenue huge boom for Colorado cities

Remove this Banner Ad

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://themindunleashed.org/2014/06...-march-1-9-million-goes-schools-crime-10.html

Crime down 10%.

In Australia, what do we do again? Thats right we take money away from education and and label pot users criminals. Could our society be anymore out of touch?

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/05/26/marijuana-sales-tax-revenue-huge-boon-for-colorado-cities/

For Mountain View, a 12-block enclave nestled among Wheat Ridge, Lakeside and Denver, the extra revenue has been a godsend. Known more for funding its budget through speeding tickets, which Mayor Jeff Kiddie said is not true, the influx of cash is much needed.

The town has two pot shops that both sell recreational and medical marijuana. It uses that revenue to take care of streets, alleys and other improvements.
“We have such as small tax base,” said Kiddie, who opposed allowing pot stores in Mountain View. “Medical and retail marijuana have definitely helped the town’s bottom line. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t.”

Last edited:

It's definitely a way to sure up state budgets. Government controlled sale of marjuana whilst they might only sell $30m in a state like Victoria, it would mean approx $15m for the government. It would put dealers out of business and would actually save the economy money as users don't pay over inflated prices. I'm also willing to bet you'd see use of other drugs decrease due to the legal availability of it.

Should we do the same with smoking and have the government start up its own cigarette company and ban all others?
You know better than that seeds. Or did the troll in you see an opportunity it couldn't refuse?

Doctors say that nicotine and all the chemicals that come with it in cigarettes is the worst of slow poisons. Where as coppers and lawyers tend to agree that the best thing for them to relax at the end of the day is pot. Doctors say its the best treatment for MS, some say it cures cancer. Alot say its really effective on pain. Musicians swear by its ability to help them get creative.

The moneys going back to schools ect,not the CIA and Al Queda, Mexicans killing squads ect. In our country the money generally goes to bikies or corrupt police gangs while our schools suffer.

I can't wait until hemp over takes the cotton industry and we start getting quality clothing at really good prices imported from America. When our printer paper no longer comes from trees...

You know better than that seeds. Or did the troll in you see an opportunity it couldn't refuse?

Doctors say that nicotine and all the chemicals that come with it in cigarettes is the worst of slow poisons. Where as coppers and lawyers tend to agree that the best thing for them to relax at the end of the day is pot. Doctors say its the best treatment for MS, some say it cures cancer. Alot say its really effective on pain. Musicians swear by its ability to help them get creative.

The moneys going back to schools ect,not the CIA and Al Queda, Mexicans killing squads ect. In our country the money generally goes to bikies or corrupt police gangs while our schools suffer.

I can't wait until hemp over takes the cotton industry and we start getting quality clothing at really good prices imported from America. When our printer paper no longer comes from trees...
Hey im not against the idea being proposed here. im just wondering if there is a justifiable reason why we should have a different approach to pot and tobacco.

Tobacco companies use to have a lot money and used that money to control politicians, much like oil, arms and pharmaceutical companies are controlling our politicians. they use to bribe and they use to cover up the evidence of what their product did.

Unfortunately governments can not just stop nicotine. They have to slowly phase it out as result of how addictive it is and how much of the population was on it.

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/06...-march-1-9-million-goes-schools-crime-10.html

Crime down 10%.

In Australia, what do we do again? Thats right we take money away from education and and label pot users criminals. Could our society be anymore out of touch?
Yes you see they bare out of touch when we have had new evidence come to light letting us know knocking down a few bongs that it can cause sleep restriction and increased delusions which have led to poor decision making etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, what are the negatives that you see for Colorado? Many who were dead-set against it have changed their views since they changed the law. Not just politicians, but business owners.
Who said I was against it? my question is why dont we initiate the same for tobacco. Ie. create a public tobacco company and make all private tobacco companies illegal and allow the government to reap all the monopoly profits to invest back in education?

It's definitely a way to sure up state budgets. Government controlled sale of marjuana whilst they might only sell $30m in a state like Victoria, it would mean approx $15m for the government. It would put dealers out of business and would actually save the economy money as users don't pay over inflated prices. I'm also willing to bet you'd see use of other drugs decrease due to the legal availability of it.

Why do you think it would put dealers out of business?

There would still be a signifigant black market. Do you think the Government would sell anything but a mild version of the product?

So, what are the negatives that you see for Colorado? Many who were dead-set against it have changed their views since they changed the law. Not just politicians, but business owners.

It would be interesting to see how it affected American states that are more ghetto than Colorado in regards to reductions in crime and other drug related issues.

Colorado doesn't have the same culutre as many of ther other states due to its demographics.

The great thing about legalisation, aside from not having to wait twenty minutes in the rain like I had to on Sunday, is that there is provenance to the weed. I can be sure that it's not grown in some poor sucker's house because they've got a debt to a gang.

New evidence come to light letting us know knocking down a few bongs that it can cause sleep restriction and increased delusions which have led to poor decision making etc.

Strange, alot of people use it to sleep at night. Alot of police officers, fire fighters, paramedics.

Why do you think it would put dealers out of business?

There would still be a signifigant black market. Do you think the Government would sell anything but a mild version of the product?

Gus talking rubbish again. specilising in spreading his right wing innuendo.

Get online speak to some in colorado. They're selling all sorts of pot. The better the buds, the more you pay. Its only the beginning once they source reliable suppliers. The thoughtful buyer knows for quality, quantity and reliability its off the gov shop they go, ho ho ho. 19 million dollars worth sold in March is proof you have no idea what you're talking about.

4 x times the yield when compared to pine plantations, even accounting for Australia having some of the poorest soil quality on the planet.

I'm staggered that THC-reduced hemp isn't grown in far greater quantities for it's use in the clothing & paper industries - decriminalisation is a later step on the road to utilising an effective crop.
Far less water-intensive than cotton too, which is propped up by heavy subsidies.

4 x times the yield when compared to pine plantations, even accounting for Australia having some of the poorest soil quality on the planet.

I'm staggered that THC-reduced hemp isn't grown in far greater quantities for it's use in the clothing & paper industries - decriminalisation is a later step on the road to utilising an effective crop.
Far less water-intensive than cotton too, which is propped up by heavy subsidies.

Evidently hemp nourishes soil.They rekon there's very few things store carbon like hemp. Uses 33% of the water to grow the same commercial quantity as cotton (save the Murray anyone)

I would like to see the alcohol sales in colarado and how they fare as pot takes off. One would suggest as pot sales get higher, grog sales get lower. So would grog related violence, drink driving, family violence. people don't wake up with hangovers after a night on pot, they normally wake up feeling refreshed.

Heres a gov study on the social cost of grog in Australia. Grog is legal, has no environmental or economic benefit whatsoever.

figure1.png

http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current series/tandi/441-460/tandi454.html

Gus talking rubbish again. specilising in spreading his right wing innuendo.

Get online speak to some in colorado. They're selling all sorts of pot. The better the buds, the more you pay. Its only the beginning once they source reliable suppliers. The thoughtful buyer knows for quality, quantity and reliability its off the gov shop they go, ho ho ho. 19 million dollars worth sold in March is proof you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have no issues with legalising it. Just cut the whole bullshit of there's no negatives involved in implementing it crap.

Despite it being legalised in Colorado the black market for it still exists, people are still being robbed and killed over it.

"[Legalization] has done nothing more than enhance the opportunity for the black market," said Lt. Mark Comte of the Colorado Springs police vice and narcotics unit, in The Associated Press. "If you can get it tax-free on the corner, you're going to get it on the corner."

$19 million in sales proves * all if you don't know how much state wide was sold in total including untaxed sales.

Just cut the whole bullshit of there's no negatives involved in implementing it crap.
But we're not saying there is no negatives, you're saying we are. So shouldn't you cut the bullshit? we're talking about the positives to society and to the planet and the improvement in peoples lives. Prohibition has failed and we as a society are losing so much by continuing to support this dead wood.

Despite it being legalised in Colorado the black market for it still exists, people are still being robbed and killed over it.
Then you've just made a case for the rolling out of better gov product delivery. A case for more states to invest in the commercial production to further enhance the positive contribution to humanity.

$19 million in sales proves **** all if you don't know how much state wide was sold in total including untaxed sales.

You don't know much, it aint cheap growing pot. Its only worth growing hydro if you the fix electricity meter. As soon as the gov sources reliable suppliers, black market pot will be s**t and expensive. What silly buggers gonna run pot into Colorado for a nothing profit with harsh penalties if court? People are going to dob in black market sellers more so than in places its illegal.

But we're not saying there is no negatives, you're saying we are. So shouldn't you cut the bullshit? we're talking about the positives to society and to the planet and the improvement in peoples lives. Prohibition has failed and we as a society are losing so much by continuing to support this dead wood.

Then why don't you ever point out the negatives?

If you're so in tuned to this topic why aren't you pointing out the pitfalls?

Then you've just made a case for the rolling out of better gov product delivery. A case for more states to invest in the commercial production to further enhance the positive contribution to humanity.

You don't know much, it aint cheap growing pot. Its only worth growing hydro if you the fix electricity meter. As soon as the gov sources reliable suppliers, black market pot will be s**t and expensive. What silly buggers gonna run pot into Colorado for a nothing profit with harsh penalties if court? People are going to dob in black market sellers more so than in places its illegal.

You don't know much if you think Governments are going to be growing this super awesome product for you to buy. And it'll be expensive due to the taxes.

Look around you and see how many below average services they provide already. And you think you're going to be getting some super fantastic product?

85305efdd72a102c6f368bc0627b695c.jpg

You'll be back on the streets looking for a better cheaper product in a short time.

Who said I was against it? my question is why dont we initiate the same for tobacco. Ie. create a public tobacco company and make all private tobacco companies illegal and allow the government to reap all the monopoly profits to invest back in education?
But this isn't a case of state owned monopolies, it is just heavily taxed and regulated private businesses, much like tobacco.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back