Marijuana sales tax revenue huge boom for Colorado cities

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to look at the proportion of people who use each and the overall affect on then. If I had a cone for every schooner I've had id be a right mess
If you had schooner for every ciggie I smoked. You'd be a right mess. Does that make it healthy?

If you had schooner for every ciggie I smoked. You'd be a right mess. Does that make it healthy?

The government are making smoking harder though not easier like people are suggesting with pot. Similarly alcohol usage is being tightened.

Alcohol is way harder for underage people to get that pot. Legalizing it may make it more convenient for adult users but, they're adults, they should be able to choose.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is pot users on the road. There isn't really a good way of measuring what a safe amount would be before driving.

Alcohol is way harder for underage people to get that pot. Legalizing it may make it more convenient for adult users but, they're adults, they should be able to choose.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is pot users on the road. There isn't really a good way of measuring what a safe amount would be before driving.

Currently pot dealers don't give a s**t who they sell to. Legally regulated sales of marijuana would hopefully lead to illegal sales becoming unprofitable so underage access will become limited, similar to alcohol.

On driving the current drug testing methods are apparently unreliable in that it is unable to determine whether a person directly ingested or was in the vicinity of someone who was smoking.

On driving the current drug testing methods are apparently unreliable in that it is unable to determine whether a person directly ingested or was in the vicinity of someone who was smoking.

In SA, you only to fail a swab test and its a 500 dollar fine, double if you're on p's. People who have choofed the night before have failed the next morning.

When i grew up, most people smoked it. We were in a big hoon scene. The accidents our mates and peers had were all from grog.

Alcohol is way harder for underage people to get that pot.

What? No it most certainly isn't at all. It's sold in all major shopping centres and along most streets. All you need is someone over 18 to buy it for you. Most households also have plenty of alcohol laying around the house. Very few parents leave pot laying around for their kids to steal.

When I was a kid marijuana was way easier to get.

It's certainly easier to hide, but I don't see how anything could be easier to get than alcohol.

If you knew someone morally vague enough to sell you marijuana, that same person would probably buy you booze too, for a price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ridiculous law as it stand only requires police to prove there is THC in your system - there is no difference between having it an hour ago or a week ago. Obviously one of those is legitimately dangerous for other road users and one is not.

The result of this is that recreational users essentially cannot legally drive as the substance will always be in there system. There is no incentive for users to moderate their behaviour, as there is with a drink driving or other, harder drugs,, i.e. if you've been smoking, don't drive until you have sobered up, as the penalty is the same either way.

And to buy drugs you can be any age. Drug dealers don't check ID.

If you know a drug dealer you can probably get them to buy you booze too.

I didn't know any drug dealers when I was a kid. But I didn't need to in order to buy alcohol. I could just ask anyone within 100 meters of a bottle shop to buy it for me, and most people couldn't care less.

It's certainly easier to hide, but I don't see how anything could be easier to get than alcohol.

If you knew someone morally vague enough to sell you marijuana, that same person would probably buy you booze too, for a price.
It's not about being morally vague, it's about the ease of finding a market and trading in that market.

A gram of weed back then cost $25, a pool of five kids could pool their money and have a good time.

$25 was two six packs of pretty shitty beer, which equates to around two beers each for five kids, equals not such a good time.

The market for marijuana was much bigger and more open (could be exchanged on school grounds, transported easily, etc). Alcohol required more subterfuge, more forward planning, and took a lot more money before it started getting good.

You might have a point about the bang for your buck you got from weed.

But that still doesn't mean it was more easily available. It just means you preferred it.

What? No it most certainly isn't at all. It's sold in all major shopping centres and along most streets. All you need is someone over 18 to buy it for you. Most households also have plenty of alcohol laying around the house. Very few parents leave pot laying around for their kids to steal.

Yep, you need someone over 18 to buy it for you. That's not the case with weed. You can get it anywhere without regulation or an ID check.

You might have a point about the bang for your buck you got from weed.

But that still doesn't mean it was more easily available. It just means you preferred it.
You do realise how black markets work, right? Ease of access in a black market requires the traded good to be hidden.

Marijuana is far more easily hidden than alcohol.

If you know a drug dealer you can probably get them to buy you booze too.

Eh, seems like an odd thing to say. Pretty sure most dealers are in the business of making large profits from selling illegal drugs, not going on booze runs for kids. It's highly hypothetical, at best.

Even if that was a realistic situation, buying the drugs is still obviously easier than buying the booze.

I didn't know any drug dealers when I was a kid. But I didn't need to in order to buy alcohol. I could just ask anyone within 100 meters of a bottle shop to buy it for me, and most people couldn't care less.

Sure, but for a lot of kids, scoring drugs is only a phone call away or a matter of talking to "that guy" at school. It's a lot easier than taking a gamble hanging around a bottle shop and approaching random people.

You do realise how black markets work, right? Ease of access in a black market requires the traded good to be hidden.

Marijuana is far more easily hidden than alcohol.

But alcohol is legal, so not subject to black market forces. You only have to hide it after you bought it, and even then only if you are at school or something.

Yep, you need someone over 18 to buy it for you. That's not the case with weed. You can get it anywhere without regulation or an ID check.

You can't just get it "anywhere" though, can you?

Less than 20% of the population smokes weed, fewer still actually sell it. I realise that you guys probably all know someone that sells it, but that isn't the case for everyone. I didn't know anybody who sold weed when I was at high school.

But alcohol is legal, so not subject to black market forces. You only have to hide it after you bought it, and even then only if you are at school or something.
It's a black market if you're under 18.

Less than 20% of the population smokes weed, fewer still actually sell it. I realise that you guys probably all know someone that sells it, but that isn't the case for everyone. I didn't know anybody who sold weed when I was at high school.

I don't even smoke it but I know plenty who do. I guess it depends where you are though. Towns and cities vary. It's a big industry here in British Columbia and would be more easily available. Kids can't go to pubs here and supermarkets don't sell alcohol. Hell, it wasn't long ago that alcohol wasn't visible at all. You'd go to a bare counter, tell them what you wanted and they'd go out back and bring it to you.

Highly unusual boarding school then. Non-existent even.

All of them are/were saturated in mull because, as stated before, it was a s**t load easier to obtain, hide and afford than grog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back