Opinion ColourPurple, (Home? &/or is this the trend b4 next GF)

Remove this Banner Ad

PavSandHill

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New Zealand All Blacks
I wasn't impressed that at our first GF appearance that we wore white! I thought there was no mistaking the purple in the streets from the P&W's, how would it be so hard on the field!

The excitement et al of the moment, & subsequent events meant I've not revisited this issue, (sorry if it's been hashed before) but the recent White Night promo is a bad precedent! Giving up our home colour to accommodate the Blues? Why? Because our Purple is so devoid of red to be indistinguishable from Carlton's Navy Blue?

Why?, when Carlton previously has worn sky blue on our home ground! What else are homegrown advantages for? Particularly playing that other lot!:eek:

Far as the GF is concerned I have no problem with us using the white, thay who shall not be named finished above us so they get priority.

As for "wear white on the night" I just dont care, wear pink for all i care just smash the Blues and get the 4 points.

Im a bit :drunk: so excuse spelling.

Far as the GF is concerned I have no problem with us using the white, thay who shall not be named finished above us so they get priority.

As for "wear white on the night" I just dont care, wear pink for all i care just smash the Blues and get the 4 points.

Im a bit :drunk: so excuse spelling.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the GF played "traditionally" in your home colours? Seppo?

Yeah I don't think it's anything to do with compromising for Carlton. Last year it was Port and they aren't exactly one of the big 4 clubs who are exempt from the AFL's clash rules. Just looks like being an annual $$$$ thing as others have said.

As for the white jumper in the GF - once the AFL deemed we had to wear white shorts I had no problem with the decision from the club. I prefer to take a holistic approach to our strips where we either wear all white or all purple instead of bastardising both of them by mixing and matching.

They're both genuine Freo strips as far as I'm concerned and should be treated as such. I'm glad we've taken the mature approach and embraced our white strip as part of our identity.

Last edited:
For the record, we went 7-3 in white last year, including the GF; 11-3-1 in purple. This year, 5-3 in white; 7-2 in purple. No jinx (hoodoo) seems to be going on there.

I agree with Kram81, though, that both sides last year could've worn home jumpers, because purple and brown don't clash. Just didn't seem right for our boys not to have worn purple in the GF, after we turned Melbourne purple during the week. Seems like for the upcoming Carlton match, it turns out to be convenient to have the annual "wear white on the night" game then, so Carlton can just wear its traditional blue.

Guernsey hoodoos are very much in play here in the US. Back in the '80s, the NFL's Dallas Cowboys -- who traditionally wear white jerseys at home -- actually redesigned their blue ones from blue-and-white upload_2014-7-28_9-8-35.jpeg

to a navy blue-and-silver kit upload_2014-7-28_9-9-8.jpeg because for years, the team and fans (like me) were convinced those jerseys were cursed, ever since the team lost Super Bowl V against the Baltimore Colts, in the early 1970s.

Some opposing teams playing at home against Dallas in the late-'70s and early '80s actually elected to wear white and force the Cowboys into wearing the cursed tops. Most famously, the Cowboys lost the conference championship game in 1981 playing in Philadelphia, against the Eagles. Fans of both teams even came to refer to that day as "the Blue Jersey Game." Dallas seemed out of sync for that entire game, much like we did last week v St. Kilda.

But of course, who says we fans are superstitious? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the GF played "traditionally" in your home colours? Seppo?
No idea on that one.

There is an interesting thread on the main board: Rubber white shorts policy that makes an interesting read.

The top team gets their home colours.

The second teams where's colours that do not clash. Last year we have the choice of all white or Purple top with white shorts, assuming we make the finals with out being top we better where our purple top this year.

If its a Sydney V Freo GF and they finished above us on the ladder, I would hope it would be like this below.

gal-land-wbSYDFREO2013b.jpg

As for the white jumper in the GF - once the AFL deemed we had to wear white shorts I had no problem with the decision from the club. I prefer to take a holistic approach to our strips where we either wear all white or all purple instead of bastardising both of them by mixing and matching.

They're both genuine Freo strips as far as I'm concerned and should be treated as such. I'm glad we've taken the mature approach and embraced our white strip as part of our identity.
Nah I find this strange thinking, it's just a pair of bloody shorts, it's the jumper that matters and hardly 'bastardising'. We've also worn this in the regular season a few times. I don't have a problem with the white top but colour purple is the main identity of the club and the option to wear it should have been taken up on its biggest ever day, was a poor decision by the club imo.

As estibador said it's better to have the holistic approach, all purple or all white. There's too many teams in the AFL that aren't making that decision hence you get the Eagles wearing white against Richmond while playing at home.

I don't have a problem with the white top but colour purple is the main identity of the club and the option to wear it should have been taken up on its biggest ever day, was a poor decision by the club imo.
There was no option Hawthorn had the choice and we then chose our away strip, pretty simple.

Nah I find this strange thinking, it's just a pair of bloody shorts, it's the jumper that matters and hardly 'bastardising'.

In my view this philosophy is what causes half the problems with clashes in the AFL.

The shorts should be viewed as an essential part of the whole kit, not something to be tacked on as an afterthought later. It's pretty infuriating watching a club like Collingwood - who have a perfectly good clash kit - refuse to wear it because they think chucking a pair of white shorts on suddenly makes their dark jumper lighter.

The AFL seems to be the only professional sport in the world stuck in the dark ages with regard to shorts. Most sports fans around the world would find it laughable if their team suddenly started picking parts from two different uniforms to pair together.

And let's be honest - the shorts policy is just a throwback to the amateur days when teams could only afford one jumper and needed a cheap way to differentiate between the home and away team. That's fine for a Sunday league in the bush, but it's not good enough for a million dollar professional organisation.

Last edited:
In my view this philosophy is what causes half the problems with clashes in the AFL.

The shorts should be viewed as an essential part of the whole kit, not something to be tacked on as an afterthought later. It's pretty infuriating watching a club like Collingwood - who have a perfectly good clash kit - refuse to wear it because they think chucking a pair of white shorts on suddenly makes their dark jumper lighter.

Umm I totally agree on Collingwood and it drives me nuts but I don't see how that's relevant at all here. Unless you are almost blind I don't see how anyone couldn't tell the difference between brown and gold next the purple and white.

Yes the shorts are an essential part of selecting the best complete uniform but it doesn't matter which one the team wears just what is the best combination to provide a difference.

Yeah, we need to dump the idea of white shorts for the home team. If the jumpers clash they clash, changing to white shorts doesn't stop the jumpers clashing. The correct approach IMHO is to have different uniforms (jumper, shorts, socks) for each team.

Yeah it's all a massive crock built around a blatant bending over for Programmed. Which is fine, you need money in football and as far as sponsor's demands go, this is an alright one, and at least the Freo sponsors don't totally wreck the jumper with a big multicoloured box – like most clubs. But it's clearly money-focused and I'd say they try and time it against a black/dark navy side, Port or Carlton and maybe the Pies next season, to mutually benefit.

The AFL works off a light v dark rule now, which works in most sports but definitely not footy. How many teams do you know play in a strip you'd call bonafide light? From country, to local, to WAFL, to the AFL? Clubs are mostly dark. For finals they make exceptions, but the big issue was the shorts – purple clashed a lot with brown, which is fair.

But you can blame the Steves for the clash. Fremantle were offered purple with white shorts but for the sake of 'brand continuity' they chose the all white. Uh. Right.

I actually really like the purple jumper with white shorts. It reminds me of Souths with that mismatching of two totally stark colours.

Umm I totally agree on Collingwood and it drives me nuts but I don't see how that's relevant at all here. Unless you are almost blind I don't see how anyone couldn't tell the difference between brown and gold next the purple and white.

I got slightly sidetracked there, but my point was the shorts should be viewed as a non-negotiable part of the uniform.

Purple shorts = purple jumper.

White shorts = white jumper.

In the case of us in the GF, it wasn't so much about whether our purple top clashed with Hawthorn's, but more about respecting the two different strips we wear and choosing either one or the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back