Opinion Come At Me Bro....AFL ANZAC Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they should, however Vic is for them to sort out.

I want guaranteed ANZAC (on the day) football for WA & SA through a collective rotation arrangement with Port, Crows, Eagles and us.

I hear what your saying. It is a rationale argument but doesn't take into account all the variables.

I would only even entertain the notion of sharing it when Essendon /Collingwood have to. ONLY then... and that's to consider it only.. but that's just my opinion. I don't run the club obviously.

You don't give up your ONLY Blockbuster clash so you can feel good about sharing. Len Hall game is a FREO tradition. Why SHOULD we have to give that up. We've been doing it since the nineties. I don't see why the sudden sense of urgency by WCE to attempt to strip us of the growing club heritage thats been built from the ground up by the club and it's supporters and members.

The Len Hall game does not define ANZAC day. WCE don't need that game slot to honour veterans.

Lets be honest - it's about the money it can make as much as it is about ANZAC day.

...and with the Centennial of all things WWI coming other teams want in. Too bad. WCE were established for years before us - should've done it then.

Nor can I, and whilst Nisbett did get me thinking about it ...my commentary is not really due to him, but more for just doing the right thing.
It would be interesting to see if it increased their attendance numbers if they were still having crap seasons.

No

It's not about ANZAC Day. It's a grab by Nisbitt to promote the West Coast brand as he now sees an opportunity to promote their club at the expense of Freo. On the back of channel Eagle, the West Coast Australian and being the media darlings it's not enough. It has always been their aim to dominate the WA football scene. The Len Hall game is a danger so they want in. (And Freo out).

Usually it's a national televised game too. But with it falling on a Saturday we miss this year. With national television so difficult for us to get people want to throw them away?

Oh but it's the right thing to do. When the other clubs start doing things that are "the right thing to do" we should consider it.

No

It's not about ANZAC Day. It's a grab by Nisbitt to promote the West Coast brand as he now sees an opportunity to promote their club at the expense of Freo. On the back of channel Eagle, the West Coast Australian and being the media darlings it's not enough. It has always been their aim to dominate the WA football scene. The Len Hall game is a danger so they want in. (And Freo out).

Usually it's a national televised game too. But with it falling on a Saturday we miss this year. With national television so difficult for us to get people want to throw them away?

Oh but it's the right thing to do. When the other clubs start doing things that are "the right thing to do" we should consider it.

It's a bit about ANZAC day.

Yep the SOO jumpers were a joke especially due to their initial disrespect of all things WA and WAFL.

However how is wanting to be part of ANZAC day beyond good taste? He might see it as a money grab however I think their fans would enjoy the experience.

Wanting to be part of ANZAC day is not beyond good taste. But I do not trust Nisbett to be respectful of the day. He has form. Of course the fans will enjoy the experience. Eagles fans have orgasms every time Natanui almost does something good. Nisbett could put on dancing girls in Turkish uniforms and the Eagles fans would enjoy it.

Let the Eagles do what they want. I personally could not give a toss about ANZAC games, heritage round, indigenous round, women's round or any other gimmicky marketing crap.
Apart from spontaneous tributes for capricious tragedies like the one for the Maslins this year, I wish there was none of it. All I want my football club to do is play football

No one from the 10th Light Horse boarded the Mashobra from "West Coast" or wherever the * that is meant to be. They want to be the generic club borne out of the coked up 80s, they can stay that way. They deserve no connection to anything real except Barber steroids and Kizon speed.

I love the way some on here are complaining that it would water down our "tradition".
Our club that's only just turned 20 and has already had one major PR overhaul and song "rehash".

I understand the determination to keep our own "Blockbuster" but in this, 100 years on from the start of the Great War, it seems petty to be so selfish.

I love the way some on here are complaining that it would water down our "tradition".
Our club that's only just turned 20 and has already had one major PR overhaul and song "rehash".

I understand the determination to keep our own "Blockbuster" but in this, 100 years on from the start of the Great War, it seems petty to be so selfish.

The Len Hall fixture has been going since the nineties. While that may offend some posters sensibilities that a 20 year old club may claim to be building some traditions and history that still doesn't take away from any of this particular fixtures significance to the club just because the scope of time doesn't fit some peoples time-frame to claim it as a tradition. It's been going on for some time now.No one has claimed the club or indeed anyone owns ANZAC day - it just happens to be the fixture and event in question.

Now you may "love the way some one here are complaining it will water down our tradition". Strange thing to love - but for some of us it's our favourite fixture of the entire season - and you shouldn't take the piss if any number of us feel that it a club tradition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This to me only reinforces why we should keep it, maintaining this fixture helps forge and expand upon what has been so far a history devoid of anything really noteworthy; just need to start winning flags now too. I don't see how the song change is really relevant except perhaps to strengthen the argument that we're lacking in any enduring sense of tradition which would hopefully be counteracted by keeping the 2nd ANZAC day game to ourselves.

Didn't StK play in New Zealand on the corresponding day last year? Maybe Nisbett could push for WC to play the Saints there in the future.

Freo deserve a lot of credit for building the Len Hall game into something special. Something the Eagles failed to do or even try

I have no problem with freo having the home game on Anzac round each year

The ANZAC Day game is my favourite H&A fixture and one the club handles exceptionally well - I must flag a disturbing opinion.

The event of ANZAC is bigger than us, bigger than the AFL & bigger than sport.

No one deserves a monopoly on the day - not even us.

I think the ANZAC Day Game in WA and SA should be guaranteed and rotational, Eagles fans/kids have as much right as us to honour and remember. I'd even have it on a rotational basis with the 4 WA/SA teams.

It's a marketing boom for us and we took it from nought to here, but again - it's bigger than us and if I was an Eagles fan ....I'd want to be able to share with my son/daughter/father/mother the one game that is secondary to the event.

Be the bigger club.
Sorry Moo, but if the eagirls fans/kids would like to get involved then they have an opportunity to buy a ticket through public sales or better still, buy a friggin Freo membership! And we know they won't do either - so perhaps it may not be as important to them as you think.
FFS, the Bullies, North and Carlton are fighting for the right to host a Good Friday match, yet you want to give away our only marquee match of the season to the slime because of their fans. The call by nisbett for them to get an Anzac match is all about their never-ending marketing drive and is entirely a cynical self serving slap coming from that tosscup of a CEO. It's a wonder they haven't decided to put chevrons on their jumpers too. :mad:
The evolution of the Len Hall game has taken many years to become what our club has made it today. We hold strong relationships with the military groups that are invited to join us each year. It's part of our identity..... not the flogs down the road.
The Len Hall game is one night each season we burst with pride for our club and the one match that we all feel OK to have a tear in the corner of our eye.

SO JUST NO! THEY CAN FUGG RIGHT OFF.

You're a ripper around here Moo, but just stop it.

Freo deserve a lot of credit for building the Len Hall game into something special. Something the Eagles failed to do or even try

I have no problem with freo having the home game on Anzac round each year

Typical arrogant Eagle.

Well there was a historic re-enactment the other day of a train travelling from Midland to Fremantle that carried troops to their ships to disembark from.

Where exactly did the troops disembark from West Coast? Where did the troop train go to West Coast.... all very vague in my opinion. All those diggers would be saying 'where's that?'

PEN1's post on the Eagle's board about this gave us a good chuckle.

lol
I'm sure they created ANZAC spirit as well:rolleyes:

Probably masks the fact the Dockers do virtually nothing for the community compared to WC.

The most self absorbed club in the league

I don't have a problem with the teams playing anzac day having to share it around. But collingwood and essendon would have to give up their slot to other vic teams... and while eddie is the boss at the pies, and by default the afl, that will never happen.

If pigs flew and eddie agreed, then it's fair enough that it be shared around in WA, as well as the other states.

Until then, anzac day in WA is ours.

C'mon Moo, you know damn well if West Coast host an ANZAC Day game there will be at least one peanut yelling out "SGIO Go Eagles" during the minute silence.

The hate is strong in that one.

Always enjoy the spelling of his nick in that manner. Very appropriate.
PEN1's envy is obvious ;) and you're welcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back