Remove this Banner Ad

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I follow American football, and my favourite player, Ronnie Brown of the Miami Dolphins (I know, I know, we're terrible) has just gone down with an ACL tear.

I know it's basically 12 months out of the game, but i'd like to know how many players come back and have full careers after their injury.

So with the help of the bigfooty forums I was hoping to compile a list of AFL players who have had ACL tears over the last say, 10 years, and whether they have come back and had a good career, or whether they have become injury prone and never gotten back to what they once were.

This would be interesting to know as I'm starting my recovery on a recent ACL tear myself. Knowing that you can come back successfully would be a good confidence boost.

Hey Guys,
I had my ACL repaired and now it's stronger than my other knee.
I think the key was that the doctor used the Patella tendon rather than the hamstring tendon to replaced the ligament. He said that the Patella tendon is stronger than the hamstring one.

Had it done about 7-8 years ago and been golden ever since. Was running and playing in about 5 months (though shouldn't have been)

I follow American football, and my favourite player, Ronnie Brown of the Miami Dolphins (I know, I know, we're terrible) has just gone down with an ACL tear.

I know it's basically 12 months out of the game, but i'd like to know how many players come back and have full careers after their injury.

So with the help of the bigfooty forums I was hoping to compile a list of AFL players who have had ACL tears over the last say, 10 years, and whether they have come back and had a good career, or whether they have become injury prone and never gotten back to what they once were.

Hey Guys,
I think the key was that the doctor used the Patella tendon rather than the hamstring tendon to replaced the ligament. He said that the Patella tendon is stronger than the hamstring one.

Had it done about 7-8 years ago and been golden ever since. Was running and playing in about 5 months (though shouldn't have been)

Dont think i'll be trying to run that gauntlet

Wojinski seemed to go OK

Rodan seems OK

Shwarze had 3 on the same knee came back in 1998 played until 2002. he went OK

Long went pretty well after doing his first time in 1994

Libba

Chris Grant

Robert Harvey did his in 2001

Tarkyn Lockyer

still looking for more

i depends on how much time you have to put into the rehab, If you are a pro then you can throw all your time at it, For others it can be a lot of work but it pays off, Im just coming of a torn Pettela tendon and ive put 3-4 days a week into the gym and pool for rehab work over the past 6 months, and it just now coming good.

Willis McGahee is going alright this season after doubts over his knee.

And McGahee did a lot more than simply tear the ACL - he absolutely blew the whole thing to smithereens!!!
Type his name into youtube and look at the clip that comes up! OUCH!! :eek:

Richo came back and is still very athletic

Gasper suffered

Coughlan seemed injury prone and redid it

Rodan lost confidence but is back to his best now

It ended a bloke called Mark Dragacevic's carreer when he had 2 in a row

Yeah McGahee did pretty much every ligament in the knee didn't he?

Thanks for the info guys, especially seanoff. That's what I was looking for.

Hey Guys,

Interesting that you say that - I'm in to get my ACL done on Tuesday 6th (Melbourne Cup, great organising that was) and the surgeon doing mine is the club surgeon for the Western Force (thugby team in WA) and he said that hamstrings tendons were the way to go - I'm having 3 grafted into place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

had a ACL done done 7 months of rehab played cricekt and indoor and other sports havnt played football again but it seems preety good to me i would suggest the full 12months of rehab tho

Interesting that you say that - I'm in to get my ACL done on Tuesday 6th (Melbourne Cup, great organising that was) and the surgeon doing mine is the club surgeon for the Western Force (thugby team in WA) and he said that hamstrings tendons were the way to go - I'm having 3 grafted into place.

Yeah. I'm not 100% sure but thats what he said, even though I think using the hamstring is more common.
I know two other people that had ACL's done and one was hamstring and one was patella.

Either way it's going to work; as someone else said it mostly comes down to rehab. Don't skimp on physio or exercises

Remove this Banner Ad

Back