Opinion Commentary and media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondder what the Lions would take for Aish.

He is playing like a fairy.

I understand some kids get drafted interstate and want to go home, but these kids who say bullshit like I am happy to play anywhere then give half-arsed efforts and obviously intend to go home after the 2 years is up from the word go are complete campaigners which * clubs over.

Players should be honest with clubs, especially kids expected to go early. Brisbane paid a premium for him they will not recover, he should have been honest with clubs that he would prefer they didn't take him and he is unlikely to commit to a new contract if they do take him.

He is playing like a fairy.

I understand some kids get drafted interstate and want to go home, but these kids who say bullshit like I am happy to play anywhere then give half-arsed efforts and obviously intend to go home after the 2 years is up from the word go are complete campaigners which **** clubs over.

Players should be honest with clubs, especially kids expected to go early. Brisbane paid a premium for him they will not recover, he should have been honest with clubs that he would prefer they didn't take him and he is unlikely to commit to a new contract if they do take him.

thats fine to say now however if at the time he was drafted and made away to other clubs he would want to go back home after his contract everyone will have a field day calling him all sorts of names etc. Didn't Kavanagh? from essendon tell north he didn't want to play for them?

thats fine to say now however if at the time he was drafted and made away to other clubs he would want to go back home after his contract everyone will have a field day calling him all sorts of names etc. Didn't Kavanagh? from essendon tell north he didn't want to play for them?

It's generally considered draft tampering unless your first name starts with C and ends with Had and your surname rhymes with dickhard.

I think it was Kavanagh's dad that was the issue from memory.

It is important to be honest if you have zero intention to stay, say you will give it 100% but if you don't want to be away from friends/family/whatever, and he has said no to extensions from the word go, then I think you should say you might want to look at a player at pick 7 who might consider Brisbane their long-term home. Then it is on them if they take the punt or not. Given the mass exodus in recent years you would think they would look at another kid who might be more likely to commit.

If you are talking a second or thrid round pick or even a late first round pick you might say the risk is worth it, however, you can't afford your early picks leaving, it is not just they wont get market value (pick 7 equivalent player), they have lost 2 years of development time as well. Their club can't continue to keep going backwards re-development.

It is why I liked when Scott came out and said he only wants players who want to play for North when he came in and there were a few guys deciding to leave. Imagine if Cunners, Ziebell, etc left after 2 years, we would still be a mid table team.

I think tampering can be a bit of a grey area and I can understand a certain amount of candour when the boy is being asked to move completely interstate, but if you're gonna be in the same town, then you need to suck it up.

Kavanah should have copped it for pulling the s**t he did and tbh they wouldn't have done it if they thought the consequence would have been dire.

Even taking into account the good fortune of dodging a bullet with that kid, I still would have liked to have seen the AFL bring out the big stick and send a message to future fiddlers.

I don't understand people's frustration that the media don't rate us. We haven't done anything!. Believe it or not the media probably will begin to talk us up when we start to win more consistently. Until such time I don't expect any recognition
Agree that we haven't done much yet but lets face it the media will always talk about * and Coll and the bigger clubs more wether its positive or negative.
Whateva sells newspapers.
If Goldy was an * Player we would here about him more and thats just a fact of life.
And u know what i dont care anymore if we dont get more recognition from these so called Experts because we know how good we are and that's all that matters!

If we beat the Hawks they will probably say how Brave the Hawks were without their two KPB and u know what i really dont rate Most of the media anyway so they can GAGF........

Jamar and minson gaining AA status Flys in the face of big club syndrome. Its like they need an idea to snowball before they stick their individual neck out. Very little independent thought these days.

Yep and can the arseholes be more reactive week to week than the footy journos have been this year! They anoint new Premiers and kill off clubs on the basis of half a fixture - its bullshit

I thought he was pretty clear in what he said. He said that we have not traded away any of our top 3 picks in the last 3 or 4 years and so our targeting of free agents has not affected our ability to draft players at the higher end of the draft. Because of this recent history of higher picks he said it may open up the option for us to look at trading a pick this year for an established player.

i read it to mean he would be open to trading draft picks if we could move up the draft order, after trading said picks.
the statistic of we have kept 22 out of 24 draft picks from our last 5 drafts was interesting...

i read it to mean he would be open to trading draft picks if we could move up the draft order, after trading said picks.
the statistic of we have kept 22 out of 24 draft picks from our last 5 drafts was interesting...

I didn't read it that way. Sounds like they want to chase a player which is going to cost at least our first round pick.

I am okay if we do chase a player, as long as the player is in the 21-24 age bracket, preferably a midfielder, and is extremely good in his position and we are not chasing someone who has underachieved that we believe we can turn into a good footballer. We are also full up on flankers. If Tarrant does come good this season it pretty much must be a class midfielder who wants to bail on his club.

I have very serious doubts about our extreme short-term prospects with our senior players, most of whom are very old, very inconsistent or have never hit any significant heights. I'd love if we did have success but we have a core group who Brad refuses to drop irrespective of form who have never been consistent to a high standard for an entire season.

I just want to make sure whomever we trade for will still be around when Cunnington and Ziebel lead the team, because I think our current 21-24 group has enough quality in it to be the core of a group that can potentially have success over a period of time.

I have very serious doubts about our extreme short-term prospects with our senior players, most of whom are very old, very inconsistent or have never hit any significant heights. I'd love if we did have success but we have a core group who Brad refuses to drop irrespective of form who have never been consistent to a high standard for an entire season.

This is an interesting statement Tas. Who are some of these players you mention, firstly the very old and inconsistent, and secondly the group who don't get dropped regardless of form?

If we can get a player who is 26-28 with our first rounder, but will also potentially put us over the hump, I'm all for it.

Burgoyne, Hale and Gibson weren't kids when the Hawks gave up picks. The trap is giving up your first rounder when you're not close to the promised land, which is a mistake so many clubs make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can get a player who is 26-28 with our first rounder, but will also potentially put us over the hump, I'm all for it.

Burgoyne, Hale and Gibson weren't kids when the Hawks gave up picks. The trap is giving up your first rounder when you're not close to the promised land, which is a mistake so many clubs make.
Hawthorn also didn't give up first picks for either of ours.

Hale - End of first round compensation pick (doesn't count) & draft pick #71
Gibson - Draft picks No. 25 and 41

Burgoyne yes, but that was the same period as the Gibson trade.

No thanks.

This is an interesting statement Tas. Who are some of these players you mention, firstly the very old and inconsistent, and secondly the group who don't get dropped regardless of form?

Harvey and Dal Santo are the only senior players who have been able to play at a very high standard for a sustained period, and both those players are in their twilight.

Petrie, Waite, Firrito, Wells, Grima, Thompson, Gibson, McMahon, Nahas, Higgins and Adams have not. That is our 27+ group. The only player in that category that has is Swallow.

So we have 1 player out of 15 players that are in their prime and playing a high standard of consistent football. This to me isn't the hallmark for success. It has a bit of the Bulldogs or Saints type of feel about it that it may get close, especially if we continue to top up, but the lack of consistent class across the board will not get us over the line.

Ultimately, i think it is the 21-24 group that is our best hope, and having the best of the 26-28 group that also has longevity around. If we take a step backwards, add some quality young midfield over the next 2-3 years then we could have that 5+ year push.

Club sees that there is an opportunity, and they are right, the top 4 teams do not look that flash, each have a number of weaknesses we can exploit, however, our senior group just doesn't produce week in, week out.

Hawthorn also didn't give up first picks for either of ours.

Hale - End of first round compensation pick (doesn't count) & draft pick #71
Gibson - Draft picks No. 25 and 41

Burgoyne yes, but that was the same period as the Gibson trade.

No thanks.

Fair enough. if we lose the prelim by a kick because we lack a tall defender, and we get the chance to spend our first pick on someone like Henderson, I'd be pretty happy to take that chance.

If we're ten goals away again then it's a different story.

Fair enough. if we lose the prelim by a kick because we lack a tall defender, and we get the chance to spend our first pick on someone like Henderson, I'd be pretty happy to take that chance.

If we're ten goals away again then it's a different story.
Good point. Case by case basis.

Had a look at the AFL injury list in todays Hun, yep Taylor Garner 1-2 weeks, also saw Cam Delaney still indefinite at Geelong
Which means, at this point, that there is no difference in contribution between Delaney and Harper.

Fancy that.

Harvey and Dal Santo are the only senior players who have been able to play at a very high standard for a sustained period, and both those players are in their twilight.

Petrie, Waite, Firrito, Wells, Grima, Thompson, Gibson, McMahon, Nahas, Higgins and Adams have not. That is our 27+ group. The only player in that category that has is Swallow.

So we have 1 player out of 15 players that are in their prime and playing a high standard of consistent football. This to me isn't the hallmark for success. It has a bit of the Bulldogs or Saints type of feel about it that it may get close, especially if we continue to top up, but the lack of consistent class across the board will not get us over the line.

Ultimately, i think it is the 21-24 group that is our best hope, and having the best of the 26-28 group that also has longevity around. If we take a step backwards, add some quality young midfield over the next 2-3 years then we could have that 5+ year push.

Club sees that there is an opportunity, and they are right, the top 4 teams do not look that flash, each have a number of weaknesses we can exploit, however, our senior group just doesn't produce week in, week out.
I respectfully disagree with you on this one. These 11 players you listed as being very old and either inconsistent or never hit any significant heights:

Petrie - 48, 58, 48 & 50 goals in the past 4 seasons, plus an AA selection
Thompson - Probably in our top 3 best and consistent players since Brad Scott has been coach, plus an AA selection
Firrito - Apart from 2013 has been very consistent
Gibson - Has not put a foot wrong since he's been at the club
Wells - Is probably the one where he hasn't quite lived up to what he could be
Grima - Cruelled by injury but an important member of our team when fit
McMahon/Adams - Will be gone at the end of the year
Nahas/Waite/Higgins - New to the club and played some very good football so far

If I read correctly, you are saying we should look at moving these players on over the next year or two and replacing them with youngsters for a shot at success in 5 years. To me that is the equivalent of playing Russian roulette with your club.

It doesn't exist; it's a fallacy that's pushed by posters that don't get the changes they want every week so they invent favourites to explain why a senior AFL coach won't make the same decisions they would, without considering that the coach and the selection committee are the experts and see the players day in, day out and know exactly what is being asked of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back