Opinion Commentary and media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the replay from Saturday.

Commentators were bullish about our top 4 chances.

Also thought Richmond might have trouble holding a position in the eight.

Did anyone else watch that round table discussion tonight on Fox Footy between Gerard Whately, Gerard Healy, Dermott Brereton, David King and Jonathan Brown? Tonight they covered Hawthorn, Sydney, Port and Essendon. A few little bits I picked up from it:

As is well established by now, Dermie is a smug, insufferable campaigner whenever he talks about Hawthorn, it was painfully bias and without sense. Continually claimed they were a top ball-winning side although IIRC they were distinctly average in clearances and contested possessions this year. (Boy am i going to seem like a ******* if I've got that wrong. It might even be Geelong i'm thinking of but my point stands nonetheless).

Likewise Healy when talking about the Swans. He claimed that the commissions decision to ban them from trading for two years was one of the worst and grossly unfair decisions they've ever made. Obviously he conveniently forgets COLA and the academies.

Kingy was the only one to not tip Hawthorn to win the premiership this year (although Whately didn't make a tip) and he was constantly in disagreement with Dermie, an attitude that endeared him to me. Like always he places far too much emphasis on statistics and Champion Data rankings but in total he made some astute observations.

Browny surprisingly spoke really well. He's more articulate than the likes of Tony Shaw and Frawley and not as pretentious or verbose as Healy and Derm. I can actually see him making a reasonable commentator if he cuts out making too many blatantly obvious or superfluous statements.

Of most interest for this board, North is one of the teams being covered tomorrow night. It's on Fox Footy from 730 and if tonights anything to go by it will be interesting to see what these guys make of North in 2015.

It is the nature of this thread that it will mainly consist of media criticism and I am sure I will be among the critics at times. But if we want the media to produce higher quality content, I think it is important to give credit where its due.

I enjoyed last night's 'Round Table' and tonight's episode as well (where North, Collingwood, Geelong and Freo were discussed). It is pretty rare these days to see a well edited and produced discussion of the footy that is not just a cheap grab at sensationalised headlines. The discussion was generally well informed and usually backed by reasonable observation or statistics. The panel members had obviously done some homework coming into the show and there were some quite interesting observations, challenging discussions and some good debate too.

FWIW, all the panelists (even Healy) saw North making the top 4, were bullish about our midfield and forward talent, but reasonably suggested the ability of Tippett, Tarrant and Thompson to defend against the monster key forwards of the game will be a big factor in our 2015 campaign.

All in all, I thought it was a good show and would be interested to hear what others thought. Unfortunately, the bar is not high, but I would much rather watch a future episode of 'Round table' than any other footy panel type show I have seen before, including On the Couch, 360, Classified, etc.

Yep Agree great viewing mentioned all our Best Players new recruits etc Question mark on the backline.....but one player they talked about being an X Factor if he can take the next step is Atley...

thought it was a good production, and pretty spot on with the analysis. they forgot to mention hansen missing all our finals who is crucial in stopping monster forwards

thought it was a good production, and pretty spot on with the analysis. they forgot to mention hansen missing all our finals who is crucial in stopping monster forwards
The last time I can recall Hansen stopping a Monster Forward was when he did a job on Cloke in a game we lost by over 100 points. That was around the time that LT still had the yips. :stern look

The last time I can recall Hansen stopping a Monster Forward was when he did a job on Cloke in a game we lost by over 100 points. That was around the time that LT still had the yips. :stern look

True. But he is important in that he leaves his man (or has no man!) to be third up or block space against the power forwards.

Yeah but Hansen "zones off" so that a player like Hawkins doesn't end up "one out" on Grima. That's modern footyspeak for you.

True. But he is important in that he leaves his man (or has no man!) to be third up or block space against the power forwards.

Exactly the same post seconds after each other, except yours put more eloquently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought they were pretty spot on Kingy also said Cunners doesnt get the Recognition he deserves.. But they agreed he's an A Grader.. Hansen was mentioned but not as a one on one as Tippet and Tarrant. Kingy actually took a Swipe at Grima saying hes no Big Loss as he got Done in the Finals.. Gerald Healy actually had SOME good things to say...

I thought they were pretty spot on Kingy also said Cunners doesnt get the Recognition he deserves.. But they agreed he's an A Grader.. Hansen was mentioned but not as a one on one as Tippet and Tarrant. Kingy actually took a Swipe at Grima saying hes no Big Loss as he got Done in the Finals.. Gerald Healy actually had SOME good things to say...

I thought the point that Kingy made
on Grima was a good one.

Did Hansen go down round 22 last year? Cant wait to see him back in blue and white feels like its been an age. Not a great one on one defender but so important to our structure

I think it was Cam Mooney on Harf's show on sen after the practise game against Hawthorn, he mentioned about how North have a good number of players that can kick goals. We were ranked 3rd this year I think he said and when Brad Scott first became coach we were ranked 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back