Opinion Commentary and media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
just finished watching the chosen few 2. tell you what Murphy, Jones and Swallow are probably two of the most impressive leaders in that lot.

rocky, cotchin and jobs don't seem like natural leaders for me.

I'm not a big advocate of what Melbourne did off the field with their tanking and stuff like that but i really would like to see Nathan Jones play finals football as a captain for that club, he is as genuine as they come, an old school footballer who is as loyal and hard working as they come.
Unfortunately football doesn't reward good blokes.

Look at today as an example, James Frawley deserts Melbourne and gets himself a Premiership Medallion.

The success of Free Agents going to Hawthorn and winning Premierships has the ability to make a mockery of the system. I can see more and more players making moves like this to get an elusive flag.

Free Agency needs a massive overhaul. I think the AFL needs to make the club taking the Free Agent pay the compensation to the club losing the player. AFL decides the level of compensation and then the club decided if the Free Agent is worth that? Means players can get to their chosen club, but stops strong clubs from cherry picking weaker clubs without losing a single thing other than cap space. A bit like the current Father Son system, allocate points to the value of the Free Agent.

Yes I know we have done well with Free Agency, but the system as it is not promoting equity.

Unfortunately football doesn't reward good blokes.

Look at today as an example, James Frawley deserts Melbourne and gets himself a Premiership Medallion.

The success of Free Agents going to Hawthorn and winning Premierships has the ability to make a mockery of the system. I can see more and more players making moves like this to get an elusive flag.

Frawley gave them eight seasons and 140 games. That they couldn't make themselves an attractive destination for him in that time is not really his fault.

Frawley gave them eight seasons and 140 games. That they couldn't make themselves an attractive destination for him in that time is not really his fault.
He only went for one reason, the lure of a premiership.

How would you feel if players like Cunners and JZ left in a few years to chase aflag at another club? That is what Free Agency has become, a vehicle for players to chase success, without the club they are going to having to give up anything.

As a club we have benefited, but the system is a joke.

He only went for one reason, the lure of a premiership.

How would you feel if players like Cunners and JZ left in a few years to chase aflag at another club? That is what Free Agency has become, a vehicle for players to chase success, without the club they are going to having to give up anything.

As a club we have benefited, but the system is a joke.

So it would have been okay if he went to a 6-10 club?

So it would have been okay if he went to a 6-10 club?
That's my point. He wouldn't go to a 6-10 club.

He went to Hawthorn for one reason only, a premiership.

I don't have issue with him going to Hawthorn, I have issue that in a competition that preaches equalisation, that teams at the top of the ladder can cherry pick players and not have to give up anything.

In fact it costs every other club, as they move down a spot in the draft order to accomodate Melbourne's compensation.

I don't have issue with him going to Hawthorn, I have issue that in a competition that preaches equalisation, that teams at the top of the ladder can cherry pick players and not have to give up anything.

In fact it costs every other club, as they move down a spot in the draft order to accomodate Melbourne's compensation.
Fixture and salary cap bullshit denies equalisation long before free agency did, to be fair.

Fixture and salary cap bullshit denies equalisation long before free agency did, to be fair.
And Free Agency just perpetuates keeping clubs up the top end for longer.

The system we had wasn't flawed, not many players were ever denied their chosen destination, it was only a few flog clubs that couldn't make the deal.

I have no problem with a system that lets players get to their chosen, but the club should be made to give up the compensation, not the competition.

And 700k. Realistically the bloke wasn't worth that.

So effectively you want to remove the ability for out of contract players to choose where they go.

So effectively you want to remove the ability for out of contract players to choose where they go.
No they can choose where they go, that's the part of the system that is 100% fine.

But the club that they choose to go to should be made to give up the compensation forwarded to the club they have left, not the competition. In effect last year clubs 6 gave Melbourne another pick by shifting down the draft order, those clubs had nothing to do with the transaction.

The compensation should be decided by an AFL panel, then the club that wants the free agent can choose to pay the compensation or not take the free agent? So in effect the only thing stopping the player from getting to their destination is if the club doesn't want to pay the compensation set by the AFL.

This would stop scenarios where players like Frawley were valued at pick 3 when Franklin was pick 19. They can assign value much like the current father son system. Under a system like that Frawley would have been at best pick 18 from Hawthorn to Melbourne. Melbourne are compensated, Hawthorn don't get to stockpile talent without having to give up anything and the rest of the competition doesn't have to give up a spot in the draft to accomodate the move. Doesn't restrict player movement and keeps the principles of equalisation in place.

Needs to be like the NFL.

Where the top teams aren't allowed to snag FA's.
I don't see anything wrong with players choosing where they want to play, but they should be made to give up something for the player. Unlike trade week the deal won't be stalled because the AFL can set the compensation much like the points system with the current father son system.

While not perfect it's a lot fairer that teams currently not giving up anything to bring in free agents.

I know as a club we have done well from the system, but the system has the potential to really widen the gap between the top end and bottom end of the ladder.

How many high profile free agents have chosen to go to bottom end clubs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of compensation. When the Chicago Cubs hired Jed Hoyer from San Diego they had to pay compensation.

Jed Hoyer is an administrator, not a player.

IIRC Eddy was on about something similar when one of the Pies staff was poached.

Needs to be like the NFL.

Where the top teams aren't allowed to snag FA's.
Free agents can go anywhere they like in the NFL.

The trouble with the AFL system and what makes it different to the NFL is where they allocate compensation picks. The AFL blindly give the team losing a free agent a pick in the first round straight after their H&A positional pick whereas in the NFL all compensation picks are at the end of rounds and hardly(i havnt witnessed one in 9 years) ever in the 1st round.

Compensation in the NFL is based on leaving free agents:

-Amount of years/salary given
-Whether player plays at a high level ie. pro bowl/All Pro calibre(pro bowl is a load of s**t though imho)
-What other free agents the team who is losing said free agent acquires thus maybe cancelling out any compensation at all.

Most NFL compensation picks are awarded at the end of the 3rd round with 2nd round compensation picks as rare as rocking horse s**t and 1sts almost a non event.

Free agents can go anywhere they like in the NFL.

The trouble with the AFL system and what makes it different to the NFL is where they allocate compensation picks. The AFL blindly give the team losing a free agent a pick in the first round straight after their H&A positional pick whereas in the NFL all compensation picks are at the end of rounds and hardly(i havnt witnessed one in 9 years) ever in the 1st round.

Compensation in the NFL is based on leaving free agents:

-Amount of years/salary given
-Whether player plays at a high level ie. pro bowl/All Pro calibre(pro bowl is a load of s**t though imho)
-What other free agents the team who is losing said free agent acquires thus maybe cancelling out any compensation at all.

Most NFL compensation picks are awarded at the end of the 3rd round with 2nd round compensation picks as rare as rocking horse s**t and 1sts almost a non event.
Ahhh a man after my own heart.

We would've missed out on Waite and Higgins. Are you ok with that?
Would you go by home and away position or after finals though.

I've always found it a bit weird that ladder position was altered based on how you went in finals.

The year is done and dusted and you can still Change position while half the comp is locked in to their pick.

24 games is more indicative of how you went than the finals series in my opinion. Random example a club has a shocker of a year. Finished 15th but administration issues for clubs above them mean they find themselves in a final which they miraculously win. That club would find themselves with a pick as low at least of pick 13 whereas their season was indicative of pick 4.

This is going to sound weird but just because you win a premiership. Doesn't mean you're the best team in the comp. Eagles and freo were far better this year than Hawks but it went right for the Hawks at the end of the year.

You wouldn't say we were the 3rd or 4th best team in the comp either. Based on our season we were clearly 7 to 8

No they can choose where they go, that's the part of the system that is 100% fine.

But the club that they choose to go to should be made to give up the compensation forwarded to the club they have left, not the competition. In effect last year clubs 6 gave Melbourne another pick by shifting down the draft order, those clubs had nothing to do with the transaction.

The compensation should be decided by an AFL panel, then the club that wants the free agent can choose to pay the compensation or not take the free agent? So in effect the only thing stopping the player from getting to their destination is if the club doesn't want to pay the compensation set by the AFL.

This would stop scenarios where players like Frawley were valued at pick 3 when Franklin was pick 19. They can assign value much like the current father son system. Under a system like that Frawley would have been at best pick 18 from Hawthorn to Melbourne. Melbourne are compensated, Hawthorn don't get to stockpile talent without having to give up anything and the rest of the competition doesn't have to give up a spot in the draft to accomodate the move. Doesn't restrict player movement and keeps the principles of equalisation in place.

I think the compensation system is one of the more short-sighted initiatives the AFL has brought in, and was clearly designed to mitigate the "strong teams stronger, weak teams weaker" which will always happen in any sport that has free agency, purely because players want to experience success.

But Hawthorn are a poor example. They have gained Frawley and lost Franklin through free agency, so clearly a net loss. Every other player they've gotten from another club who has contributed to their dynasty (Gunston, Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Lake) has been traded for, and they are good traders because they are prepared to give up the picks required to get deals done. They don't "stockpile talent without having to give anything up" at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back