Commission Changes - Dessau leaves to become Governor of Victoria (11/2/14)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 25m25 minutes ago
Bill Kelty & Chris Langford today both announced they will retire from the AFL Commission, having joined in 1998 and 1999 respectively.

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 23m23 minutes ago
The new Commissioners to join the AFL are Major General Simone Wilkie AM and dual West Coast / Sydney Swans premiership player Jason Ball.

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 21m21 minutes ago
Major General Wilkie is the most senior female Army Officer in Australia, having served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 20m20 minutes ago
Jason Ball has experienced AFL as a player, Swans asst coach, Board member & has a wealth of knowledge from both WA & his adopted state NSW.

2015AFLCommission.png

Simone Wilkie makes it 3 out of 9 Commission members to be female. Not too bad for a male sport.

Major General Simone Louise Wilkie AM (b. 1964) is an Australian Army officer who was the Australian Deputy National Commander in the War in Afghanistan in 2011 and 2012. She was Assistant Chief of Staff to General David Petraeus during the Iraq War troop surge of 2007, and was the first female Commanding Officer of the Royal Military College Duntroon and Commandant at the Army Recruit Training Centre at Kapooka. In March 2013 the Minister for Defence, Stephen Smith, announced her promotion to major general to take over as Commander of the Australian Defence College in July 2013.

Not a bad resume. Apparently a passionate Essendon supporter

2015AFLCommission.png

Simone Wilkie makes it 3 out of 9 Commission members to be female. Not too bad for a male sport.

The most impressive thing about that is the stability. Almost every commissioner is in the position for a long time and there are rarely, if ever more than a couple of changes to the commission in any given year.

The AFL says she's a Dons lady, the Herald Sun say she's neutral, in terms of AFL teams, hmmm..

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-11/commissioner-turns-governor?utm_medium=RSS

"A passionate Bombers supporter, she was the founding chair of the Essendon Women's Network". http://www.essendonfc.com.au/membership/coteries/essendon-womens-network (The Essendon Women's Network (EWN) is a non-match day coterie group tailored to the women of Essendon)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...nor-for-victoria/story-fni0fit3-1227215744236

Mr Andrews said Ms Dessau had also had a long and influential involvement in “Australia’s greatest game” — AFL.

Ms Dessau said she would stand down from her role as AFL Commissioner once she takes up the role of Governor.

When asked whether she would start supporting all Victorian teams as Governor of the state, Ms Dessau said she had some experience in neutral barracking.

“I started eight years ago so I’m fine thank you — that’s when I joined the commission.”

Hell to the no. We just got rid of Kelty, Eddie's other Commission mouthpiece. Now Eddie proposes a great mate, godfather to one of his boys and a Collingwood supporter as well. Seriously AFL, wake up!

He also wrote the Laws of the AFL and has an intricate knowledge of broadcasting rights in Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also wrote the Laws of the AFL and has an intricate knowledge of broadcasting rights in Australia.

I'm aware. Just hit my trigger on AFL Commission as a whole, its lack of transparency & ability to compromise itself without even trying is appalling.
I'd like all commission members surrendered their club memberships as part of acceptance to the role. A symbolic gesture sure, but it signals an intent.
An ability to request & access documents older than a decade and so on. I could go on but this is not the thread for it.

Good commissioners, like good board members will have a variety of backgrounds and skills (and in the case of the AFL, clubs).

Someone with a good knowledge of the media would be a very important part of that I'd think.

Kim Williams, former head of Newscorp in Aus, former head of Foxtel, might know a thing or two.

Hard to ignore Michael Longs attempts to get a guernsey:
http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/mich...rs-role-with-afl/story-fnk0b2ce-1227235371326
‘’We need an indigenous commissioner,’’ Long told the NT News. ‘’We have women on the commission, we have let different nationalities run our great game, and I’ve got a passion for football, and I’ve had a plan for 10 years and I think I have given back what the game has given me. ‘’This is something I feel very strongly about and the timing is right. ‘’I’ll be one person putting my hand up and it’s not my decision to say I’m the one. I’ll let the powers that be decide that. But my passion is to see an indigenous person in that role ...

According to the Australian Sports Commission's 'Mandatory Sports Governance Principles' for ASC large partner NSOs
http://www.ausport.gov.au/__data/as...SC_Mandatory_Sports_Governance_Principles.pdf

03 2.1 A staggered rotation system for Board members with a maximum term in office.
Each NSO should have a staggered rotation system for Board members with a maximum term in office of no more than
10 years to encourage Board renewal while retaining corporate memory. As a guideline, good corporate practice is for around
one third of the Board to retire each year, noting that retiring Directors are able to seek re-election within term limits. Terms
for Directors should be three or four years before re-election, with the ability to be re-appointed up to the maximum term.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) should be appointed on the basis of their perceived ability to manage the sport at a particular time, considering the priorities and strategic direction of the sport​

Mike Fitzpatrick has been a commissioner since 2003 and Chris Langford 1999.

04 2.6 Gender balance on Boards.
There is good evidence that diversity on Boards leads to better corporate performance. The Commonwealth Government
has set a target of a minimum of 40 per cent of Commonwealth Boards being female by 2015. Similarly, the ASC’s
position is that each NSO should seek to achieve a target of 40 per cent female representation over a similar timeframe,
which the ASC will review pending progress and the overall skills mix of boards. Sports’ progress will be reported in the
new annual Winning Edge: State of Sports Report. Reporting on gender representation for NSO executive management
positions will also be required.​

Colless takes a swing at Fitzpatrick:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fo...t-afl-governance/story-fnelctok-1227239070281

Accuses the commission of making threats the get its way.

Colless on the ball as ever:
Colless said too much information and key financial data was being kept from fans and clubs.

“I think the AFL are besotted with brands and corporate speak,” he said. “I think a lot of clubs and a lot of individuals are starting to get sick of the threats that have been made to them.”

Is Richard available?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back