Rumour Commission discussing "Tasmanian Devils"

Remove this Banner Ad

Can not see Vic club being merged maybe 10 years ago but not now

Brisbane would be my guess

Could always add two more teams one in Tasmania and another in WA

Yeah, I'd love to see a Tasmanian team, but can't avoid the idea that someone would have to get monumentally shafted for it to happen.

Agree, but Tasmanian football has been shafted for 100 years. The last 10 years it has been tortured by the AFL so much that local football is on life support and bout to flat line.

WA would have to be the next team if they want 20 but I don't see the need for it.
Depends. If after Burswood is built there's still waiting lists for the Eagles and Freo I can see WA3 happening. Long term I can see it too simply because of all the reports of how Perth continues to grow (apparently).

I think if they want 20 then Tassie is the #1 choice, then it's a question of WA3 against possible alternates.

Depends. If after Burswood is built there's still waiting lists for the Eagles and Freo I can see WA3 happening. Long term I can see it too simply because of all the reports of how Perth continues to grow (apparently).

I think if they want 20 then Tassie is the #1 choice, then it's a question of WA3 against possible alternates.

There isn't any geographic area for a third team to represent and no WAFL team can make the step up- especially nearly than 30 years after West Coast

WC and Freo games often don't even get full houses these days. I can't imagine there being a waiting list if Burswood is a 60,000 seater.

Love the idea! Split the games between Hobart and Launceston? And for the first few years play "away" games against North and Hawks.
That said only 500k on the island so they'd want to get their boutique stadium numbers 100%.

Agree, but Tasmanian football has been shafted for 100 years. The last 10 years it has been tortured by the AFL so much that local football is on life support and bout to flat line.
You underestimate how much Scott Wade and his cronies have contributed to the death of the sport in Tasmania. The AFL played their part 20 years ago, undermining the first state leagueand things have never got any better.
There is no chance of an AFL team surviving in Tasmania. If a team starts up it will die within a decade (even if well managed which seems unlikely), and the AFL won't support a side there with no growth prospects as they will with NSW and Qld teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would have been the point of creating a 2nd qld team if they're just going to relocate the first to tassie.

GC Sun's are a big success hey I'm up in broad beach right now for the game I live in Melbourne

How much more money can the AFL keep pumping into Brisbane eventually like any business you will cut your losses

Don't be surprised if it happens

Where was the North Melbourne Football Club constitution when the club decided to not even be called North Melbourne?

The changes to the constitution was a prerequisite before the shareholders agreed to hand back their shares for free to become a member based club.

The biggest problem with having a tassie team would be player retention. Adelaide clubs have mentioned in the past how hard it is to attract players to their clubs because no non SA born players want to move there.. Could see this being a even bigger issue for a tassie club. Same deal with drafting a 18yr old, you would assume that up to 90%+ of the playing list would be from the mainland, the pull of returning home would be even stronger after having lived in tassie for a cpl of years.

The biggest problem with having a tassie team would be player retention. Adelaide clubs have mentioned in the past how hard it is to attract players to their clubs because no non SA born players want to move there.. Could see this being a even bigger issue for a tassie club. Same deal with drafting a 18yr old, you would assume that up to 90%+ of the playing list would be from the mainland, the pull of returning home would be even stronger after having lived in tassie for a cpl of years.

Give them certain rights to one Taswegian a year in a father son type arrangement.
And recruit heavily from country areas. Nobody who grew up in Warrnambool or Geraldton will be that upset about living in Hobart.

Adelaide have more Victorians than South Australians on their list. Port Adelaide and Fremantle have managed to attract Victorians as well. West Coast have never really attempted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back