C'wealth Commonwealth Games - Glasgow 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

womens pole vault was a bit of a joke in the wet.

Also, (and this is shocking) well done 10 for FINALLY using 2 channels at once. hope they do it again tonight with the netball and hockey(and road race) all happening at the same time.

england choke in the last seconds in the netball and hockey. thank god.

womens pole vault was a bit of a joke in the wet.

What did they have ... 4 pole vaulters made successful jumps at the minimum height, 2 before the torrential rain came down. They almost won medals by default. Alana Boyd was fortunate that the rain eased in time for her 3rd jump at her first height or we would have ended up with one successful jump in the wet. Bloody dangerous for a sport like pole vault and ridiculous that you can't reschedule an event like that.

Felt for the Parnov's. Devastating for them. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the tears of a pretty girl though. Fairly easy on the eye.

Gerard Whateley on Offsiders, regarding EH's statement "A Shocking act of bastardry.."

Are you serious? Now I'm certain this is a beat up. We know Whateley is a sanctimonious clown, but this ridiculous.

Can't wait to tell him the GP will be at Albert Park til 2020. :thumbsu:

I think one has to appreciate the context & climate of the Hollingsworth statement.

It appears Hollingsworth did it because he sensed Sally (coming back from injury & change of coach) was vulnerable and he wanted her to be beaten. Hollingsworth was backing the English girl to beat Sally & prove his point. So we're talking the Australian head coach, handsomely paid & supported by the Australian athletics fraternity and Australian taxpayers was desperately trying to undermine the very athlete that has kept him in his job for the last five years. As Sally said, up until March she was one of the few friends Eric had among Australia's elite athletes.

If that isn't a shocking act of bastardry then I don't know what is.

20 of 99. Tbh, if you're in charge of that many people, by laws of probability there's bound to be a certain % that aren't going to like you. But that's still 60-79 people that think he's a positive, or not a negative influence.

Didn't she say the likes he removed the likes Mel Breen were from events that she had qualified for a few years ago, just because he could, and didn't replace her either? Some of the things I am reading suggest power goes to his head and his people skills are lacking. The other salient point is that these athletes train for a long time with their own coaches and they work out their own techniques and preparations. I'm really not sure why we need a head coach for these major meets, trying to change the way athletes work under threat of being removed from events.

Did he actually work with these athletes for significant periods of time, or were some of them in his own stable ... does anybody know?

Gerard Whateley on Offsiders, regarding EH's statement "A Shocking act of bastardry.."

Are you serious? Now I'm certain this is a beat up. We know Whateley is a sanctimonious clown, but this ridiculous.

Can't wait to tell him the GP will be at Albert Park til 2020. :thumbsu:

Coming from inside the sport I'm not sure how anyone defends him unless you're related to him. Didn't matter, he wasn't getting his contract renewed anyway. He was going to be asked to re-apply for his job in October when his contract ran out, another way of say "you're fired". Now they can just fire him. Think that might tell you how he's seen within the organisation. Doesn't do anything for your argument. No point arguing an uninformed opinion, it doesn't help your cause.

Now the sport can hopefully go forward as it's been sh1t for years.

Didn't she say the likes he removed the likes Mel Breen were from events that she had qualified for a few years ago, just because he could, and didn't replace her either?

Five years ago, Lewis-Manou was censured over a Facebook rant aimed at the then-new coach Hollingsworth after she wasn’t picked for the 400m hurdles at the World Athletics Championships in Berlin.
She also said that in 2009, Hollingsworth “kicked (sprinter) Mel Breen out of the team even though she was over there (in Berlin)”.

“(Breen) was an 18-year-old who had told her friends she would be there but he thought it would be better if she just sit and watch the race rather the be part of the team, even though we had no one else to put in it and she had qualified,” Lewis-Manou said.

“So he scratched her and he scratched a couple of us off the start list just because he could.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/sport/common...h-a-horrible-man/story-fnnx3zsr-1227008238200

-----

Say what you want about people like Tamsyn Lewis, but when athletes have genuine grievances that are too easily dismissed, it's an indictment on the sport they represent when administrators are more concerned about their own interests (which includes their mates like Hollingsworth) than the athletes who are busting their arses for the sport they love.

What did they have ... 4 pole vaulters made successful jumps at the minimum height, 2 before the torrential rain came down. They almost won medals by default. Alana Boyd was fortunate that the rain eased in time for her 3rd jump at her first height or we would have ended up with one successful jump in the wet. Bloody dangerous for a sport like pole vault and ridiculous that you can't reschedule an event like that.

Felt for the Parnov's. Devastating for them. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the tears of a pretty girl though. Fairly easy on the eye.

Agree it was a bit of a joke, but not sure what else they could have done. It's Scotland, it rains. Either you stretch the event out so everyone gets a (relatively) dry patch which could add hours to the event (messing with both coverage and athletes prep), move it indoors (Not sure Glasgow has the facilities, and it's a different event anyway) or do what they did and just suck it up.

Agree it was a bit of a joke, but not sure what else they could have done. It's Scotland, it rains. Either you stretch the event out so everyone gets a (relatively) dry patch which could add hours to the event (messing with both coverage and athletes prep), move it indoors (Not sure Glasgow has the facilities, and it's a different event anyway) or do what they did and just suck it up.

They could of moved it indoors but the possible venues are being used as Games venues. Can't move it to the next day as its the last night of competition so that leaves either jump when they did or move the time of the event to get around the rain (which likely wouldn't of been successful)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

these girls trained 4 years(for the Olympics) for a chance to show their skill, which was ruined by bad planning by the organizers. is it too hard to ask for a back up plan.

im a 15 min expert on T&F, but surely they could have organized it to start a couple of days early so it wasnt the last day. u think pole vault would be the one event most compromised by the wet, so u try and get it over and done with in better weather. i swear it has been postponed before in other comps.

They could of moved it indoors but the possible venues are being used as Games venues. Can't move it to the next day as its the last night of competition so that leaves either jump when they did or move the time of the event to get around the rain (which likely wouldn't of been successful)

exactly.

Mind you, not sure other venues could have been adjusted quick enough....need a running track, and more importantly, a pit to put the pole into.

these girls trained 4 years(for the Olympics) for a chance to show their skill, which was ruined by bad planning by the organizers. is it too hard to ask for a back up plan.

im a 15 min expert on T&F, but surely they could have organized it to start a couple of days early so it wasnt the last day. u think pole vault would be the one event most compromised by the wet, so u try and get it over and done with in better weather. i swear it has been postponed before in other comps.

TV broadcasts wouldn't be happy with that, and without them, the event either wouldn't be on at all or would be MUCH smaller.

It's Scotland. It could of rained the entire games.

Simple. Schedule it for the first day of track and field and bump it back until you get reasonable weather. It's far too dangerous a sport to be left as a gap filling thrill sport for the sake of tv coverage. They get the highlight ... just earlier. As it was it was a train wreck and would not have inspired any new athletes to dedicate years to tackle it.

That was some win by the hockey girls! Congrats to them
Does anyone know what time the netball final is on tonight?

I think one has to appreciate the context & climate of the Hollingsworth statement.
As far as the statement goes, there's nothing wrong with it. It's so clean, the timing of it doesn't matter. In the wave of criticism, I've not heard a denial from anyone. Only picking at the timing.

It appears Hollingsworth did it because he sensed Sally (coming back from injury & change of coach) was vulnerable and he wanted her to be beaten. Hollingsworth was backing the English girl to beat Sally & prove his point. So we're talking the Australian head coach, handsomely paid & supported by the Australian athletics fraternity and Australian taxpayers was desperately trying to undermine the very athlete that has kept him in his job for the last five years. As Sally said, up until March she was one of the few friends Eric had among Australia's elite athletes.

If that isn't a shocking act of bastardry then I don't know what is.
You've made a claim. It's something for me to consider as a possibility. However, being an anonymous BF member, you're not accountable, there's no consequences for you. If that's the truth, I'd love Dave Culbert, or anyone else, to say it publicly. If they dare.

If I were in EH's position. I'd look up any legal avenue, regarding Whateley's comment. It seems too easy shot. From what I know, Athletics in Australia seems quite political, even if EH wasn't there.

Last edited:
I'madodgyumpire.......
Whatever.

If there was any legal action initiated by the 'head coach' against those who have spoken against him, I reckon the witnesses for the defence would be quite significant in both numbers and who they would be.

As far as the statement goes, there's nothing wrong with it. It's so clean, the timing of it doesn't matter. In the wave of criticism, I've not heard a denial from anyone. Only picking at the timing.

You haven't heard anybody say she didn't let her teammates down? Haven't seen support from teammates? Haven't seen anybody say that Sally knows what is best for her preparation?

Pearson articulated very well why she needed to do that London race and where she was at with her preparation and her injury comeback etc. Did her absence from a training camp adversely affect anybody but Hollingsworth who apparently wanted all of 'his' athletes on deck and under his watch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back