C'wealth Commonwealth Games - Glasgow 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

You haven't heard anybody say she didn't let her teammates down? Haven't seen support from teammates? Haven't seen anybody say that Sally knows what is best for her preparation?

Pearson articulated very well why she needed to do that London race and where she was at with her preparation and her injury comeback etc. Did her absence from a training camp adversely affect anybody but Hollingsworth who apparently wanted all of 'his' athletes on deck and under his watch?

Exactly right. Contrary to Hollingsworth's claims, the athletes were genuinely pleased that Sally Pearson had topped off her prep with a much needed race. They would much rather she follow her instincts and enter the team environment in the best shape, mentally & physically. The gold medal and in particular the margin over Tiffany
Porter validates Pearson's decision to delay joining the team camp.

I know the netball is a massive game demanding priority but why not some updates on the men's road race scrolling along the bottom of the screen? Likewise with the hockey.

They've been putting Hockey updates up and showed the goal. Road race not so much

You haven't heard anybody say she didn't let her teammates down? Haven't seen support from teammates? Haven't seen anybody say that Sally knows what is best for her preparation?

Pearson articulated very well why she needed to do that London race and where she was at with her preparation and her injury comeback etc.
I've recognised most of that (to myself at least). But I haven't seen anything specific, like an offensive act or statement. Something which an outsider like me can say "Ha, that's it."

Did her absence from a training camp adversely affect anybody but Hollingsworth who apparently wanted all of 'his' athletes on deck and under his watch?
The key word you use is "apparently", which is open ended. The press release contradicts this. As mentioned earlier, Michael Johnson was interviewed about this at length on the couch. While he recognised there may be some issues with EH, he didn't blame him for anything. Since then, I've seen pieces from C10 which selectively use some of his interview, which makes it look like he's canning him.

My impression is that there's more issues with Athletics, than what's been led on. EH is just an easy target. It's like with Pim Verbeek and Holger Osieck with the soccer team. There are deep rooted issues with soccer here, that those two cannot overcome. But they got blamed for all the problems.

I've recognised most of that (to myself at least). But I haven't seen anything specific, like an offensive act or statement. Something which an outsider like me can say "Ha, that's it."

The key word you use is "apparently", which is open ended. The press release contradicts this. As mentioned earlier, Michael Johnson was interviewed about this at length on the couch. While he recognised there may be some issues with EH, he didn't blame him for anything. Since then, I've seen pieces from C10 which selectively use some of his interview, which makes it look like he's canning him.

My impression is that there's more issues with Athletics, than what's been led on. EH is just an easy target. It's like with Pim Verbeek and Holger Osieck with the soccer team. There are deep rooted issues with soccer here, that those two cannot overcome. But they got blamed for all the problems.
What has Michael Johnson got to do with anything?

Loved how they switched straight to an ad break after Australia's first goal, and then didn't show the replay of Whetton's near miss from the baseline.

I wouldn't mind if they ditched the half time chat and showed ads instead, as long as we got a half of hockey free of all this advertisement nonsense. Its the COMM GAMES FFS!

Loved how they switched straight to an ad break after Australia's first goal, and then didn't show the replay of Whetton's near miss from the baseline.

I wouldn't mind if they ditched the half time chat and showed ads instead, as long as we got a half of hockey free of all this advertisement nonsense. Its the COMM GAMES FFS!

People aren't going to sit down and watch 20 solid minutes of ads. This is the problem with it being shown on free to air rather than pay TV.

Yeah... well we got the Netball on one that went to an Advert. Then when it came back Howard said welcome to SA viewers, hockey after the break. So basically we had 6mins of adverts.

He was being interviewed about it, a few days ago. He was being led by McLaughlin and Hooker to saying something he didn't want to.

Speaking of Hooker, how's his lady doing?
Yep but are we talking about the American athlete? I don't see how he has any authority to comment on this situation?
Haha -she is not going too well by the sounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simple. He's Michael Johnson. He can express any opinion he likes (on Athletics).
Only probably one of the top 5 best athletes in recent memory.

Yep I get that he was an absolutely wonderful athlete but can't honestly see how that qualifies him to speak with any 'inside knowledge' of the Australian team and head coach situation. He presumably doesn't know what it was like to be an athlete on the Australian team under Hollingsworth. Am not getting your point in referring to him as if that makes the head coach ok-it doesn't, it doesn't cast any light on what happened. He can talk in generalities about coaches and teams, that's it?

Yep I get that he was an absolutely wonderful athlete but can't honestly see how that qualifies him to speak with any 'inside knowledge' of the Australian team and head coach situation. He presumably doesn't know what it was like to be an athlete on the Australian team under Hollingsworth. Am not getting your point in referring to him as if that makes the head coach ok-it doesn't, it doesn't cast any light on what happened. He can talk in generalities about coaches and teams, that's it?
The only point is that when you're that good in your field, you can generally talk about pretty much any branch of it and people will listen rightly or wrongly.

yeah look what i can compare this one to is the current wayne carey and judd situation. carey making 'educated' predictions

no doubt youve had your eyes glued to the tv most weekends (as a sports fan!) though - so would be on top of it

Well Tamsyn Lewis did talk about personal offensive remarks he had made about her on two occasions, but you've already dismissed her credibility because she doesn't like hard work.

He canned him in that he said it the timing was poor and he shouldn't have said it, but he added the disclaimer because he wasn't privy to the back story. He was in essence saying it wasn't good but .......

You wouldn't expect the media to add in the disclaimer when keeping to timeframes.

Let's not over complicate this. Pearson has said she was one of his few remaining allies before their first blow up this year. Lewis has fairly smashed him. Forget Athletics Australia political issues, if you believe Hollingsworth is being targeted, then you have to be placing the blame on Pearson in this instance. Do you have more reason to query Pearson than you do Hollingsworth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back