Community Cup this Sunday at Henson Park, Marrickville

Remove this Banner Ad

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I don’t know where to post this, but I figured that since the majority of Swans supporters live in Sydney, this would be the best board to put it on. For what it’s worth, I’ve put the same post on the GWS board as well.

Anyways …

This Sunday is the Sydney Community Cup, which is a fundraising Aussie Rules match between the Western Walers and the Sydney Sailors (made up of musicians/music industry people and the music media, respectively). It started in Melbourne and has developed a massive following and this is the third year that it’s been played in Sydney as well.

I played in the first game two years ago and it was great fun (except for the fact that the boots I borrowed from a mate literally fell apart as I was about to run onto a handball from Brett Kirk!), but I think I had an even better day last year just going along to watch. This year I get the chance to again pull on the Walers guernsey, so I thought I should advertise it on Bigfooty and try to get some people along.

It’s only a gold coin donation to get in and all the money raised goes to an amazing charity called Reclink (http://www.reclink.org/) who run sports activities as a way to engage disadvantaged people (homeless, those with mental illness, asylum seekers and many others) and link them back into the mainstream community. It’s actually a really awesome cause and they do the work extremely well (as I’ve had clients that have accessed them before).

Here are the details:
Sunday, 17th August
12pm – Gates Open
2pm – Bounce
Henson Park
Centennial St, Marrickville (off Addison Rd)
https://www.facebook.com/sydneyreclinkcommunitycup?fref=ts

So come down for a good day and support a great cause. And if you see me down there (I’m the big guy with the beard … probably not a great description really), make sure you say hi!

GO THE WALERS!!!

Yeah and I'll probably be wearing a checked shirt. Does that make it any easier?

Also, the organiser said you can bring your own alcohol in ... but were a little shady on whether they're licensed for that. So maybe put it in your backpack.

I got there a bit after 12pm and the rain had stopped and we didn't get another drop all day, so it ended up being a pretty perfect day for it. Unfortunately the Sailors won the cup for the third year in a row and I had a rubbish day of it. It's inspired me to train for the next couple of months and see if I can get through a preseason and play on the weekends next year though.

Should definitely come down next year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back