Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
g'day.

im interested in a comparison of QLD junior footy, to VIC.

here is a brisbane juniors (redlands u12s vs sherwood) both are div 1 sides in the brisbane junior comp. redland seniors are a NEAFL club.

here, if you all have a spare moment, take a look at this game, or just a q or 2. please post on how the skills and standard compares to Victorian metro u12s sides.

g'day.

im interested in a comparison of QLD junior footy, to VIC.

here is a brisbane juniors (redlands u12s vs sherwood) both are div 1 sides in the brisbane junior comp. redland seniors are a NEAFL club.

here, if you all have a spare moment, take a look at this game, or just a q or 2. please post on how the skills and standard compares to Victorian metro u12s sides.

I have coached at u15 and u 16 level it is hard to compare as each junior comp in melb is so differant
sorry i can give you more as its just too hard. i am not sure if you are with the team in black and white but i was the coach i would be teaching number 20 to start and tap the ball to each side of his body as he seems only to like to punch the ball forward and this is easily counted by having a rover sit on the defensive side and rove to number 20

• Banned
thanks for the response LFF.

i dont have any affiliation with either side, its just that i happened to find them on youtube and it gives an example of QLD footy. its said the QLD kids fall behind their VIC cousins, and i was just wondering if the standards at 12yo are similar.

Tigernova, mate I can tell u that there is a huge similarity between QLD and VIC under 12's div.1. The ball skills are a little bit different in the essendon district fl for example the kicking and ruck work is a bit more precise but the speed of the game is quite similar. Bottom line there is no major difference. I hope I helped you :)

• Banned
Hi s4lyf. Thanks for the reply.

Like i said, i was told that kids in the non AFL dominant states like QLD and NSW fall behind their AFL dominant state counterparts such as VIC and SA.

Part of the reason i imagine is kids in NSW and QLD play touch footy at school and in the back yard. Whereas in VIC and SA they probably 'kick to kick' or play a kids version of AFL.

Many hours are spent (or used to be) by kids practicing the basics at school or with their mates in the backyard or down the park.

Its hard for AFL kids in QLD and NSW to get a game together at school or after school as most kids play RL. Touch footy is always going on at school lunch times and so the AFL kids just join in.

At my young blokes school there may be 600-700 kids. Only about 7 of them play AFL. Ages range from 5yo through to u12s. They dont even try and get a game together as its hopeless. The RL kids frown on it and wouldnt be a party to it. So the AFL kids just join in playing touch RL, as kids will.

Meanwhile their southern counterparts are clocking up the hours of AFL practice. As a result the northern kids fall behind.

What i try and do to combat that is involve my young fella in all the AFL 'promotions' going on in the area, and go down the park with him and have a kick. However this type of 'training' is too structured and doesnt allow for the freedoms practiced by the southern kids playing non structured 'fun AFL down the park, at school or in the back yard. A lot of the amazing things you see AFL and NRL players do was learned in the back yard against mates, not during structured training sessions.

Im not sure when the southern kids really forge ahead, but i know the u12s rep sides give the QLD kids a lesson. That may be due to a larger talent pool in VIC, or it could be evidence of the 'back yard culture' in VIC already making a difference?

But it is interesting that at club level they seem to be similarly skilled.

Pretty similar to WA junior football, across the board perhaps our kicking skills are more develpod.

And kick to kick, and games of football are much more common than touch rugby, so it all adds up.

But as long as kids are actually kicking, catching, throwing or handballing a ball, it should not make a huge deal of difference to motor skills.

But learning to kick properly is the key, a skill learnt and refined as a kid, if they have decent coaching which gets rid of bad habits., WA kids, and stacks of them are practising every day, even though they would not be aware of it, if they play before, during and after school with their mates.

The depth of kids playing would be another difference between WA and QLD, and many of the best athletic kids are drawn to the game, perhpas not as many in QLD ( Brisbane ).

• Banned
Hi Phil.

Kieren Jack had kicking problems early. He, like most RL players kick a bit 'round the corner' instead of a straight leg. This comes from long practice drop kicking the ball so much where the ball hits the ground just before you kick it. Its hard to do it with a front on style like a drop punt. So naturally RL players get a different style.

Your other point is also valid. The talent pool in QLD and NSW is mostly in RL. The difference between a Brisbane zone premier div u12s side and an u12s div 1 AFL side is enormous. In both size and athleticism the RL boys have it all over their AFL counterparts. Many of the RL kids could do well if they swapped codes to AFL, but most Bris AFL players wouldnt handle u12s premier div RL. There is some seriously big, strong, mobile boys playing RL in the Brisbane area. And they love big contact.

It is going to take a cultural change for AFL to topple RL as the states most popular code. AFLQ are seriously active in grass roots footy in SEQ where we are. What they do for kids is incredibly impressive.

Hi Phil.

Kieren Jack had kicking problems early. He, like most RL players kick a bit 'round the corner' instead of a straight leg. This comes from long practice drop kicking the ball so much where the ball hits the ground just before you kick it. Its hard to do it with a front on style like a drop punt. So naturally RL players get a different style.

Your other point is also valid. The talent pool in QLD and NSW is mostly in RL. The difference between a Brisbane zone premier div u12s side and an u12s div 1 AFL side is enormous. In both size and athleticism the RL boys have it all over their AFL counterparts. Many of the RL kids could do well if they swapped codes to AFL, but most Bris AFL players wouldnt handle u12s premier div RL. There is some seriously big, strong, mobile boys playing RL in the Brisbane area. And they love big contact.

It is going to take a cultural change for AFL to topple RL as the states most popular code. AFLQ are seriously active in grass roots footy in SEQ where we are. What they do for kids is incredibly impressive.

Even if participation levels outstripped RL in NSW/QLD, and FWIU in some areas they do and others they come close, it will make any difference, it is a cultural part that is extremely hard to change, look for EX at soccer participation in NSW ? .... yet RL is still on top.

I think QLD holds a lot more promise for football than NSW, in the short term, the hate and dislike of the AFL in parts of NSW is a real eye opener for a lot of people.

The participation levels in SE QLD and some areas of the state, have QLD juniors hovering around division 1 IMO ( Nationals) , to play with the big boys, although some years tend to be much stronger than others, and that is where depth comes into it.

• Banned
Hi Phil.

Id be interested to know what areas in QLD that AFL has higher participation rates than RL?

You are right that QLD has a bright AFL future. The amount of Victorians moving up here historically, the mining boom, etc is contributing to the fast track of AFL in QLD.

If you look at most hierarchy in junior and senior leagues in AFL round QLD they are dominated by ex-Victorians. Its almost an Evangelist situation where the passionate faithful go out and convert the unbelievers. Its working.

I got the chance to see the unbeteaten Premiership winning U16 div 1 Maroubra Saints from Sydney when they played Douttas in two games.

The 1st game featured bottom age players and I must say I was impressed with there performance. They were great in tight spaces and their kicking skills were very good. They won the game quite nicely.

The top age kids were similar but didn't really have the physical presence. Our boys won and I thought the Saints could finish in our top 5. At the end of the day I left nodding in approval.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back