Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, my comment was really more just to highlight the point that, your blanket comment was wrong about Rugby league fans. I'm sure there's plenty of us who enjoy/love watching both games. It's not an uncommon trait among fans of many codes to do that though, so not a great biggie, but maybe something to consider moving forward.

I really don't know, but I would imagine if a Rugby league fan was in a pub in Melbourne and a Rugby league game was on they'd be told in no uncertain terms to "turn that s**t off" "get those bumsniffers off our tele" etc.

From my experiences on Big Footy, there's plenty of people who sit very comfortably in the code war corner.

You're sure? How many people do you know that consider rugby league their number 1 sport also enjoy AFL and aren't abusive towards it in any way? Personally, I can probably count it on one hand. Where as the vast majority of Aussie rules fans I know are just apathetic towards league.

The thing is, rugby league would almost never get on the tv at a pub in Melbourne so that would be an extremely rare situation. AFL is quite often on the tv in pubs up here. I can only go on what I've seen and almost all of my experiences have been on the Gold Coast or in Brisbane.

Come on mate, you act all innocent but deep down you know what most league fans are really like. Let's stop the charade.

I guess the review might just find out what it is and then they'd take action.

Well you'd want to hope they do. Having a board that is incompetent is probably worse than their current situation.

Anyway, Titans play the Parramatta Eels next weekend at Robina. Anyone want to guess what sort of crowd they might get? The same fixture pulled 12k last year. It's a Saturday game so perhaps just over 10k again? If it wasn't a Saturday game then I'd be expecting less than 10k.

I found it odd that a AFL fan like you was watching a Rugby League when there was a AFL game on.
Have you been to the Titans ground?

Ha..im not sure what you're getting at mate.

Let me set the scene. It was early Sunday arvo..i turned on the tv and the only game of any sport that was on was the titans v raiders game..which i watched until the Ess v Coll game started. Whats odd about that?? What's odd is that the titans can't pull more than 2000 to their games.

Most AFL fans up here watch a little NRL occasionally, same goes the other way. Nothing odd about it. Most people up here regardless of which sport they follow end up watching/playing more AFL purely just because its on more. We are lucky enough to get 6 AFL games on free to air/week but only 3 NRL games.

And for the record i havnt been to the ground.

Also, another thing to take into account when comparing the Suns' crowds from their first season with this season is what a lot of people refer to as the honeymoon period. The team is a novelty in their first season and people are much more willing to attend. Now obviously any club playing in their first game ever is going to pull a good crowd and of course the Suns biggest crowd of all time came in their first game against Carlton at the Gabba. That game pulled just under 28k but interestingly enough the Suns experienced a second first game that year when they played Geelong at Metricon. It was the club's first game on the Gold Coast and unsurprisingly they pulled 21k to that game. This year, the Suns don't hold the same novelty value to the public so they have to rely on other means to attract an audience. Yeah, you could make your argument that Buddy was a reason for the Swans game pulling a large crowd this year but then you could make the same argument about the first game in 2011 against Carlton that saw Gaz vs Judd.

Anyway, my point is, if we were to take these novelty games out of the comparison (Carlton and Geelong 2011), the 2011 average stands at 17,940 while the 2014 average stands at 17,888.

Most AFL fans up here watch a little NRL occasionally, same goes the other way. Nothing odd about it. Most people up here regardless of which sport they follow end up watching/playing more AFL purely just because its on more. We are lucky enough to get 6 AFL games on free to air/week but only 3 NRL games.
It's an interesting dynamic in the NT. I know Aussie rules is number 1 there but rugby league has a good following. Probably a bit like the Gold Coast in reverse with the distinct difference being Aussie rules fans aren't as abusive towards those who are league inclined. Would that be fair to say? Also, do the locals consider Ben Barba one of their own or is he a Queenslander in your eyes?

I watched the game on tele…if there were 10k at the ground ill go jump.

No way was that ground close to being a third full. i don't get whats to be gained by inflating attendances??? Makes no sense.
Pretty sure the NRL said teams that keep getting over the 10k mark would be safe for the future iirc.

It's an interesting dynamic in the NT. I know Aussie rules is number 1 there but rugby league has a good following. Probably a bit like the Gold Coast in reverse with the distinct difference being Aussie rules fans aren't as abusive towards those who are league inclined. Would that be fair to say? Also, do the locals consider Ben Barba one of their own or is he a Queenslander in your eyes?

The NT is an interesting dynamic indeed. The Gold Coast enology would be fairer when looking at Darwin IMO. But as you travel south the AFL/NRL divide widens..all the way down to Adelaide.

To give you an idea the Aussie Rules comp here in Alice has 4 divisions = 28 teams. League scraps together 4 teams, that said the interest in league is reasonable as several local players have made it in the NRL. Union has a 3 team comp that plays in SUMMER, half those guys also play aussie rules in winter. That said everyone gets on pretty good...there is no animosity to be seen between codes and everyone keeps/likes it that way.

Almost no one from NSW ever moves here but there are quite a few from QLD. What i find funny is that upon arriving you'll hear anti AFL comments from some of them..which makes most people just laugh/or give no response. Most of them end up playing aussie rules anyway..there are quite a few at our club!

My favourite case was one fella who though AFL was soft..first training session was 40degrees which he spent most of spewing up. In his first game he got knocked out..haha classic. Have never heard him say anything to that effect since.

Ha..and Ben Barba is QLDer.

Yes. In my experiences, it's more so the league fans that are pushing the 'code war' and, at times, will get very abusive. I can't tell you how many times I would go into bars/pubs (before the Suns existed) and would quite often hear something to the effect of 'F$*#ing gAyFL. Turn that s#%* off!' Most would just flat out refuse to allow AFL to be played. Alternatively, if an AFL fan takes an interest in RL then they'll cheer because they think they've converted them. AFL fans just simply don't act like that, in my experiences. They'll either ask for the channel to be changed because an AFL game they want to watch is on or they'll accept that league is on and occasionally watch some of it. It's almost as if it's a prerequisite that you have to hate AFL to be a true RL fan. AuckMel, I think you are in the small minority of league fans that enjoy watching AFL.
I live in the western suburbs of Brisbane, and this couldn't be any more true. My local pub shows both NRL and AFL, but only shows the AFL on a single screen because one of the regulars is a huge Pies supporter. He's an old bloke, and he always gets abused by others for watching AFL there.

There have been countless occasions where I've been in pubs and bars and AFL is being bashed, and the AFL fans are abused for simply being fans. Usually it's a 'gayFL' slur, but it can go far deeper than that.

In Ipswich and western Brisbane, there are very few, if any, AFL grassroots clubs, and the sport as a whole is thought of as a joke. Of my friendship group, my girlfriend and I make up two of perhaps 5 AFL supporters, while the rest are NRL fans, and ALL of these people heavily mock and insult Aussie rules footy. It's pretty pathetic.

IMO many within the RL community have a very big chip on their shoulder, i have seen it for quite a number of years and i am happy to point it out.
When I talk to the idiots in my neighborhood about why they think NRL is superior, they usually spit out stupid responses like 'there are more fights in League', or 'it takes more skill'. I always point out that a 120kg man running at another 120kg man until they're both unconscious is not skill, and that it's turned into a bloody stupid sport.

My girlfriend's grandfather played rugby league for Australia in the late 50s and early 60s, and while he still watches it, he's in agreeance that the game has changed for the worst, and that it's going to die out soon. Pretty sad, really.

I really don't know, but I would imagine if a Rugby league fan was in a pub in Melbourne and a Rugby league game was on they'd be told in no uncertain terms to "turn that s**t off" "get those bumsniffers off our tele" etc.
I'm not from Melbourne, but I visit regularly. While I'm sure this is the case in the suburbs, Melburnians are pretty proud of their sport. I doubt it's as bad down there as it is in Queensland. It's almost like the average Queenslander is Hitler, and AFL is the jews. It's crazy.

Pretty sure the NRL said teams that keep getting over the 10k mark would be safe for the future iirc.

Yep i remember reading that somewhere, you can bet your bottom $ on a poor crowd drawing NRL club to reguarly get 10k :D

10, ??? was the latest Titans effort, makes a mockery of the NRL crowd figures and averages really.

The NT is an interesting dynamic indeed. The Gold Coast enology would be fairer when looking at Darwin IMO. But as you travel south the AFL/NRL divide widens..all the way down to Adelaide.

To give you an idea the Aussie Rules comp here in Alice has 4 divisions = 28 teams. League scraps together 4 teams, that said the interest in league is reasonable as several local players have made it in the NRL. Union has a 3 team comp that plays in SUMMER, half those guys also play aussie rules in winter. That said everyone gets on pretty good...there is no animosity to be seen between codes and everyone keeps/likes it that way.

Almost no one from NSW ever moves here but there are quite a few from QLD. What i find funny is that upon arriving you'll hear anti AFL comments from some of them..which makes most people just laugh/or give no response. Most of them end up playing aussie rules anyway..there are quite a few at our club!

My favourite case was one fella who though AFL was soft..first training session was 40degrees which he spent most of spewing up. In his first game he got knocked out..haha classic. Have never heard him say anything to that effect since.

Ha..and Ben Barba is QLDer.
Very interesting. Doesn't surprise me at all that QLDers act like that when they first get to the Alice Springs. I think that's a healthy dynamic between the two codes you have going over there. How would you describe the dynamic in Darwin (if you've been there)? I know Jared Brennan had an interest in rugby league and he grew up in Darwin.

Probably a lesson to be learnt here when it comes to different markets. I was alluding to it in one of my other posts when I said the Gold Coast isn't RL heartland just because it borders Brisbane. The diversity among Australian cities (even those they are right next to each other) is mind blowing at times but people from NSW and/or Victoria rarely see it because they live in their own bubble.

A good example of this would probably be the decent follow Rugby Union has in Perth due to South Africans immigrants. Almost like the Gold Coast used to be with Victorian expats but Aussie rules is much bigger now than it used to be when it was mainly just played by Vic expats.

Very interesting. Doesn't surprise me at all that QLDers act like that when they first get to the Alice Springs.
I've written it another post too, but here it is again: Queensland (excluding GC and selected areas of Brisbane) children are brought up and raised into an AFL-hating culture. It's like small-dick syndrome or something.

I love wearing my GC Suns gear around and watching bogans glare at me. I even had a bloke ask me in bogan-English what 'da GC Suns is". Sigh.

I live in the western suburbs of Brisbane, and this couldn't be any more true. My local pub shows both NRL and AFL, but only shows the AFL on a single screen because one of the regulars is a huge Pies supporter. He's an old bloke, and he always gets abused by others for watching AFL there.

There have been countless occasions where I've been in pubs and bars and AFL is being bashed, and the AFL fans are abused for simply being fans. Usually it's a 'gayFL' slur, but it can go far deeper than that.

In Ipswich and western Brisbane, there are very few, if any, AFL grassroots clubs, and the sport as a whole is thought of as a joke. Of my friendship group, my girlfriend and I make up two of perhaps 5 AFL supporters, while the rest are NRL fans, and ALL of these people heavily mock and insult Aussie rules footy. It's pretty pathetic.
I suppose western Brisbane/Ipswich is comparable to western Sydney, in that sense. Certainly less Aussie rules supporters out west of both cities and staunch RL fans who don't mind giving you their two cents. Doesn't surprise me at all that you cop it living out there but there is no doubt in my mind that the Gold Coast is now the most accepting of Aussie rules when it comes to QLD cities. So that's some food for thought if you ever wanted to move.

I've written it another post too, but here it is again: Queensland (excluding GC and selected areas of Brisbane) children are brought up and raised into an AFL-hating culture. It's like small-dick syndrome or something.

I love wearing my GC Suns gear around and watching bogans glare at me. I even had a bloke ask me in bogan-English what 'da GC Suns is". Sigh.
You're right. It's the culture. Fortunately, the Gold Coast isn't like that anymore.

Very interesting. Doesn't surprise me at all that QLDers act like that when they first get to the Alice Springs. I think that's a healthy dynamic between the two codes you have going over there. How would you describe the dynamic in Darwin (if you've been there)? I know Jared Brennan had an interest in rugby league and he grew up in Darwin.

Probably a lesson to be learnt here when it comes to different markets. I was alluding to it in one of my other posts when I said the Gold Coast isn't RL heartland just because it borders Brisbane. The diversity among Australian cities (even those they are right next to each other) is mind blowing at times but people from NSW and/or Victoria rarely see it because they live in their own bubble.

A good example of this would probably be the decent follow Rugby Union has in Perth due to South Africans immigrants. Almost like the Gold Coast used to be with Victorian expats but Aussie rules is much bigger now than it used to be when it was mainly just played by Vic expats.

We get up to Darwin pretty regularly…its a weird/awesome place, not to mention absolute boom town. Im sure someone will correct me but the latest projections have darwin hitting 300k by 2050. The town is one big construction site. If they didn't have to stop building over the wet season the place would already be double the size. People down south seriously under estimate how big darwin is going to get..some of the planning going on is insane!

So that said the Aussie Rules comp is very very strong (Alice will FINALLY be getting a team in the NTFL 2015/16!), there are rumours that TIO is going to get a major upgrade etc etc. League is growing at grass roots level as well but they're flat broke and had to vacate their premier ground this year as a result.

Id love to see some statistics but id guess that over 50% of people moving to darwin are from VIC, while the other states are all evenly represented. When you consider that the locals are usually AFL fans..well you get the idea..its a pretty strong AFL area. But same as Alice there is a strong culture of enjoying all sports.

Gold Coast is now the most accepting of Aussie rules when it comes to QLD cities. So that's some food for thought if you ever wanted to move.
As soon as I've graduated from uni, I'm moving to the coast ASAP! Hopefully before that...

I just realised that if Karmichael ends up returning to NRL, I'm going to cop so much s**t it's not even funny... The amount of s**t I've copped for K switching codes is ridiculous. If he goes back, it'll get worse!

To keep this on topic: If I were living in the Gold Coast, I'd definitely go to a few Titans games to support the local team. Don't see anything wrong with supporting both AFL and NRL. I have a soft spot for Dave Taylor - bloody massive tank of a man.

We get up to Darwin pretty regularly…its a weird/awesome place, not to mention absolute boom town. Im sure someone will correct me but the latest projections have darwin hitting 300k by 2050. The town is one big construction site. If they didn't have to stop building over the wet season the place would already be double the size. People down south seriously under estimate how big darwin is going to get..some of the planning going on is insane!

So that said the Aussie Rules comp is very very strong (Alice will FINALLY be getting a team in the NTFL 2015/16!), there are rumours that TIO is going to get a major upgrade etc etc. League is growing at grass roots level as well but they're flat broke and had to vacate their premier ground this year as a result.

Id love to see some statistics but id guess that over 50% of people moving to darwin are from VIC, while the other states are all evenly represented. When you consider that the locals are usually AFL fans..well you get the idea..its a pretty strong AFL area. But same as Alice there is a strong culture of enjoying all sports.
That's great to hear about Darwin. I'd love to see the NT one day get its own AFL team. It's ridiculous how much talent there is up there but a lot of them can't handle the big city life. A Darwin team would see the NT living up to its potential when it comes to player development.

Good to hear Alice Springs will be included in the NTFL. When you say TIO, you mean Marrara? I think both NT stadiums are sponsored by TIO so I was just checking.

As soon as I've graduated from uni, I'm moving to the coast ASAP! Hopefully before that...

I just realised that if Karmichael ends up returning to NRL, I'm going to cop so much s**t it's not even funny... The amount of s**t I've copped for K switching codes is ridiculous. If he goes back, it'll get worse!

To keep this on topic: If I were living in the Gold Coast, I'd definitely go to a few Titans games to support the local team. Don't see anything wrong with supporting both AFL and NRL. I have a soft spot for Dave Taylor - bloody massive tank of a man.
Good to hear mate. I'm sure you'll enjoy the lifestyle on the coast.

No reason not to attend Titans games if you are interested in them. They need the support now more than ever. I went to one of their games earlier this year and the game day experience just isn't what it used to be. The Suns are so far in front when it comes to game day experience that it isn't even fair. Things have to change otherwise they won't be around by the time you make the move down the M1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're sure?

Yes.

How many people do you know that consider rugby league their number 1 sport also enjoy AFL and aren't abusive towards it in any way?

How many do I know? LoL

The thing is, rugby league would almost never get on the tv at a pub in Melbourne so that would be an extremely rare situation.

You'd have to be completely naive not to think that's exactly what would happen.

Come on mate, you act all innocent but deep down you know what most league fans are really like. Let's stop the charade.

At least you haven't lumped us all in the same bracket. Well done on that. Are some RL fans like you say? Are they involved in code wars? Sure, is that a two way street? Abso*******lutely. This thread alone is proof of that.

Well you'd want to hope they do. Having a board that is incompetent is probably worse than their current situation.

Yawn. There you go again. Maybe Wookie was right.

How many do I know? LoL

You didn't answer my question...

You'd have to be completely naive not to think that's exactly what would happen.

If that were to happen (which I still believe would be rare) then you're probably right but I don't think it would get as abusive. Referring to an entire league as homosexual (and anyone who follows it) is generally not the type of thing an AFL fan will do.

At least you haven't lumped us all in the same bracket. Well done on that. Are some RL fans like you say? Are they involved in code wars? Sure, is that a two way street? Abso*******lutely. This thread alone is proof of that.

I'm not going to lump all league fans together because I know a few who like AFL or at the very least don't mind it but that is definitely the minority. I'd be willing to say 90% of the AFL followers involved in the code war debate are from QLD or NSW. The reason being that they have copped it from league supporters and feel like dishing it out. I'd be shocked if any more than 10% came from the other states. The reason being that everyone in those states knows which code is number one and people are content with how it is.

Yawn. There you go again. Maybe Wookie was right.
What did Wookie say? I'm just giving my opinion on a team that is based in the city I live in. I think I'm entitled to that.

Last edited:
You didn't answer my question...

Well, I've submerged myself in Australian Football for the best part of the last 12 years, so the answer would be none as all the people I know follow Australian football.

If that were to happen (which I still believe would be rare) then you're probably right but I don't think it would get as abusive. Referring to an entire league as homosexual (and anyone who follows it) is generally not the type of thing an AFL fan will do.

Australian Football fans constantly refer to Rugby league fans and players as bumsniffers. Not much point whinging over a slur when you do it right back.

I'm not going to lump all league fans together because I know a few who like AFL or at the very least don't mind it but that is definitely the minority.

Yet it happens and it isn't all of them like you tried to make out.

I'd be willing to say 90% of the AFL followers involved in the code war debate are from QLD or NSW. The reason being that they have copped it from league supporters and feel like dishing it out.

Doesn't that make them hypocrites?

What did Wookie say? I'm just giving my opinion on a team that is based in the city I live in. I think I'm entitled to that.

He just gave up trying to debate the issue. Sometimes 10 on 1 can do that to a person, and I'm not saying you aren't entitled to an opinion, but lets end the charade and call a spade a spade. Code wars are all about dick measuring contests and that's exactly what's going on here.

Well, I've submerged myself in Australian Football for the best part of the last 12 years, so the answer would be none as all the people I know follow Australian football.

Well there you go. I'm yet to meet a large group of league fans who have no problem with AFL. I have however met AFL fans that are okay with league.

Australian Football fans constantly refer to Rugby league fans and players as bumsniffers. Not much point whinging over a slur when you do it right back.

I've never said that in my life so who is the one lumping fans together now? Also, bumsniffing doesn't necessarily imply they are homosexuals. gAyFL does.

Yet it happens and it isn't all of them like you tried to make out.

That's not even true. I've constantly said words like "most" to point out that not all league fans are like that. I even specifically said "I'm not going to lump all league fans together"

Doesn't that make them hypocrites?

Retaliation makes you a hypocrite? You can only push someone so far before they react. I'm curious, have you ever lived in Queensland?

He just gave up trying to debate the issue. Sometimes 10 on 1 can do that to a person, and I'm not saying you aren't entitled to an opinion, but lets end the charade and call a spade a spade. Code wars are all about dick measuring contests and that's exactly what's going on here.
To the best of my knowledge, you came into this thread uninvited to try and stand up for league. You did that on your own accord so you have to be prepared for responses that you might not like and can't blame anyone but yourself for getting involved in the thread.

You've contributed very little to this thread in terms of staying on topic so I'll ask again - can YOU stop turning this into a code war and actually post something on topic? I'll help you out, what sort of crowd do you think the Titans will get next weekend against the Eels?

That's great to hear about Darwin. I'd love to see the NT one day get its own AFL team. It's ridiculous how much talent there is up there but a lot of them can't handle the big city life. A Darwin team would see the NT living up to its potential when it comes to player development.

Good to hear Alice Springs will be included in the NTFL. When you say TIO, you mean Marrara? I think both NT stadiums are sponsored by TIO so I was just checking.

Maybe in same 50yrs Darwin could get a team..prob need 500k pop first ie Gold Coast. We've got enough exAFL players running around in the NTFL to get half a team on the park already!

Yeah TIO meaning Marrara..they only got their name on Traeger this year.

Maybe in same 50yrs Darwin could get a team..prob need 500k pop first ie Gold Coast. We've got enough exAFL players running around in the NTFL to get half a team on the park already!

Yeah TIO meaning Marrara..they only got their name on Traeger this year.
I suppose a big thing for a Northern Territory bid would be to prove the growth in Darwin is happening and will continue to happen. The Gold Coast didn't get a team because of the current population, they got it because it is one of the fastest growing areas in Australia. The NT Thunder already existing and competing in the NEAFL probably helps as well. Then again, people in Darwin seem to take footy pretty seriously so perhaps a population of 500k isn't 100% necessary.

Well there you go. I'm yet to meet a large group of league fans who have no problem with AFL. I have however met AFL fans that are okay with league.

I judge people on what I read and I've seen enough to know it's a two way street.

I've never said that in my life so who is the one lumping fans together now?

I'll have to pay that one. LoL :)

Also, bumsniffing doesn't necessarily imply they are homosexuals. gAyFL does.

Who made you the judge of what is and isn't offensive? If a Rugby league fan says he or she finds the term offensive, then it is. Personally I think the gAyFL slur is pretty piss weak. The game is ******* hard, fast and physically taxing.

That's not even true. I've constantly said words like "most" to point out that not all league fans are like that. I even specifically said "I'm not going to lump all league fans together"

In this instance that was certainly not the case, in fact you said "I've noticed this with rugby league fans."

Retaliation makes you a hypocrite? You can only push someone so far before they react. I'm curious, have you ever lived in Queensland?

Indulging in the code wars while whinging about them at the same time makes you a hypocrite, yes. Queensland? No. Why would I? Melbourne is far and away the best city in Australia.

To the best of my knowledge, you came into this thread uninvited to try and stand up for league. You did that on your own accord so you have to be prepared for responses that you might not like and can't blame anyone but yourself for getting involved in the thread.

Actually, I think my first post in this thread was when someone posted a pic of the crowd and I laughed at how poor it was given they'd had a good win the week before. Post #417

Anyway, this is an AFL forum and I've almost become immune to the anti Rugby league stuff which goes on, but sometimes I'm inspired to reply to it and I don't need anyones permission to do it so as long as it meets forum rules. If you feel my post is off topic or irrelevant to the subject, report it.

You've contributed very little to this thread in terms of staying on topic so I'll ask again - can YOU stop turning this into a code war and actually post something on topic?

LoL.

It already is one.

I'll help you out, what sort of crowd do you think the Titans will get next weekend against the Eels?

Two out of form teams slowly watching their seasons slip away. 4222 although the reported number will be 10231. ;)

Because God forbid that anyone should interupt this Titans bashing thread.

can YOU stop turning this into a code war and actually post something on topic? I'll help you out, what sort of crowd do you think the Titans will get next weekend against the Eels?

This thread and its contents are indicative of a code war mentality. AuckMel didnt start the fire, it was always burning, since the thread was turning etc etc etc /billyjoel.

I never give up. Its just i choose to debate people where conversation can be constructive. (obviously I dont mean Talkingfooty) Its not a debate when people fail to understand that Australian Football Crowds are the exception, not the norm, and that Rugby league crowds in this country are perfectly acceptable for professional sport. Its not a debate when you can call out the NRL for free/discount tickets, and ignore the plethora of tickets and discounts on offer to AFL attendees all down the eastern seaboard.

Because God forbid that anyone should interupt this Titans bashing thread.

That's your opinion. I post the crowd numbers and comment on trends and observations I make.

This thread and its contents are indicative of a code war mentality. AuckMel didnt start the fire, it was always burning, since the thread was turning etc etc etc /billyjoel.

I don't mind him engaging in conversation, I would just like to see him actually post on topic every now and again. He did in his last post so I'm satisfied with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back