Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

How about a little look back on the history of GC sport/Titans? This video is a pretty interesting watch if you have the time:

"What's so good about the Titans?"
- "They're the betht".
"They haven't played a game yet..."
- "They're still the betht".

Sums up Titans fans, really.

On a serious note, it's interesting that before establishing the club on the GC, they acknowledged that the city is 50/50 AFL/NRL fans. Very interesting indeed. I wonder if that demographic changing has contributed to their downfall.

Also, I saw that the Suns are offering $20 tickets to the Port vs Suns game @ Metricon. They're advertising it as 'locals day' or something like that. Special activities around the venue before and during the game (more than usual apparently). Might bring in a decent crowd, too. Afternoon game on a Saturday with cheap tickets and an advertised special event - can't go wrong, surely. Will boost our home attendance number, hopefully. Or at least not drop it down like the Saints game did!

On a serious note, it's interesting that before establishing the club on the GC, they acknowledged that the city is 50/50 AFL/NRL fans. Very interesting indeed. I wonder if that demographic changing has contributed to their downfall.
It was actually a former Gold Coast Giants player that said it was 50/50. Whereas the Titans CEO was adamant "the community knocked the door down and said 'we want this football team'". You need to keep in mind Michael Searle said some pretty bad stuff about the Suns/AFL back in the day when he thought (mistakenly) he had won the hearts of the whole Gold Coast community. Just a few examples:

"What the AFL is trying to do reeks of arrogance."
"What the AFL clearly doesn't understand is the Titans' entrance into the NRL wasn't simply a spur of the moment idea we had one day."
"The people here can see straight through this. They see this as a strategic reaction by the AFL to counter the success of the Titans."
"You have to do much more to win over the Gold Coast market than simply getting a team and slapping a Gold Coast badge on them,"
"You need to engage the local community otherwise it will simply collapse, as we have seen happen here many times before."
"The AFL has shown itself as a sport that wants to cannibalise."
"I don't see the AFL coming here as being any threat to the Titans at all, or the National Rugby League."
"We're still the dominant sport here in south-east Queensland."
"We've never feared the AFL."
"They've decided to go head-to-head against us next year with their draw."
"Carrara Stadium cannot generate the revenues to sustain an NRL team long-term, let alone an AFL team which has far higher running costs than an NRL team ever has,"
"If the AFL think they can just come here and put a Gold Coast badge on a jumper and get support, they're in for a rude shock because they've got a lot of work to do."

So much hypocrisy in those comments. Might have helped to take a bit of his own advice...

It was actually a former Gold Coast Giants player that said it was 50/50. Whereas the Titans CEO was adamant "the community knocked the door down and said 'we want this football team'".
Oh, right. I was in the middle of a cardiovascular lecture trying to focus on both things at once, haha. Point still stands, though. That video appeared to be from around the time the Titans came into fruition (so well before the Suns, or the GC17 proposal), so surely the CEO and others involved knew of the large AFL following too, not just that one ex-player.

Oh, right. I was in the middle of a cardiovascular lecture trying to focus on both things at once, haha. Point still stands, though. That video appeared to be from around the time the Titans came into fruition (so well before the Suns, or the GC17 proposal), so surely the CEO and others involved knew of the large AFL following too, not just that one ex-player.
I presume the video was made just before Round 1 in 2007. The reasons being that they show footage of a preseason game as well as plans for a stadium to be built in Robina (construction finished February 2008) but the biggest giveaway was right at the end they cross back to the presenters who were at Suncorp Stadium. The Titans played their first NRL game at Suncorp. So the creation of the GC17 bid team was still a little over a year away at that point.

You would like to think they had done their research on the demographics of the Gold Coast but I'm not so sure the comments back that up. He specifically said "I don't see the AFL coming here as being any threat to the Titans at all". How could you possibly not be worried when the market is split 50/50? To be fair to him, he made those comments in 2008 when things looked much brighter for the Titans but that just screams of arrogance to say another competitor is not a threat at all. We now know the Suns are a threat and are arguably already in front. How quickly things can change!

If anyone here has Foxtel you should turn on Foxsports 1 right now. They are showing the Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Seagulls match from Carrara in 1994. Absolutely massive crowd and you can see why it is still the third largest all time at Carrara. It was a very basic stadium back then but those massive fly swatter light towers haven't changed at all haha.

GC loves a winner and the titans are collapsing, they will bail like rats off a sinking ship I predict
Just looking at the NRL ladder now and you could be right. If results go the way they should (and the Titans lose to the Roosters in Sydney) then it'll be officially season over for the Titans. Probably going to affect their next two home crowds quite heavily.

Had a look on the Titans forum this morning and they are having a few digs at us. Saying things like we won't be able to be able to make/receive money in the future but most just saying we have an inferior on field product. Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if it is true that the Gold Coast is split 50/50 between RL and AFL then half the GC population won't agree that AFL has an inferior on field product. There is no doubting the fact that we offer the better off field product and that's probably why we are winning the battle right now. 50% of the population are AFL fans so they won't turn to RL and some of the remaining 50% recognise the off field product for the Titans stinks so they come over to us as well. We can't lose!

They are so delusional on that board. One even went as far as to say all the team has to do is start winning. Um, hello? The Titans were on the top of the ladder earlier this year and their crowds were still terrible.

There is a reason the AFL are pumping in $20M a year, the GC is not 50% afl fans, you only have to look at ratings to see that.

The titans are on the nose and have been since the centre of excellence went balls up, but rugby league is still far and away the most popular code on the Gold Coast, they just aren't titans supporters and that's where the titans have to have a complete refresh of their brand and try and win some of them back. In that regard the suns and titans are probably neck and neck atm.

There is a reason the AFL are pumping in $20M a year, the GC is not 50% afl fans, you only have to look at ratings to see that.
Any chance you could point us in the direction of where the GC tv ratings can be found? Would be very interesting to see how many GC residents are actually tuning in to either team each week. The Suns are shown live on FTA every week while the Titans are rarely on FTA (even on delay) and sometimes not even on Foxtel. So please, where are the tv ratings for GC residents?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was actually a former Gold Coast Giants player that said it was 50/50. Whereas the Titans CEO was adamant "the community knocked the door down and said 'we want this football team'". You need to keep in mind Michael Searle said some pretty bad stuff about the Suns/AFL back in the day when he thought (mistakenly) he had won the hearts of the whole Gold Coast community. Just a few examples:

"What the AFL is trying to do reeks of arrogance."
"What the AFL clearly doesn't understand is the Titans' entrance into the NRL wasn't simply a spur of the moment idea we had one day."
"The people here can see straight through this. They see this as a strategic reaction by the AFL to counter the success of the Titans."
"You have to do much more to win over the Gold Coast market than simply getting a team and slapping a Gold Coast badge on them,"
"You need to engage the local community otherwise it will simply collapse, as we have seen happen here many times before."
"The AFL has shown itself as a sport that wants to cannibalise."
"I don't see the AFL coming here as being any threat to the Titans at all, or the National Rugby League."
"We're still the dominant sport here in south-east Queensland."
"We've never feared the AFL."
"They've decided to go head-to-head against us next year with their draw."
"Carrara Stadium cannot generate the revenues to sustain an NRL team long-term, let alone an AFL team which has far higher running costs than an NRL team ever has,"
"If the AFL think they can just come here and put a Gold Coast badge on a jumper and get support, they're in for a rude shock because they've got a lot of work to do."

So much hypocrisy in those comments. Might have helped to take a bit of his own advice...
Was he talking to the media or a mirror, what a peanut

Any chance you could point us in the direction of where the GC tv ratings can be found? Would be very interesting to see how many GC residents are actually tuning in to either team each week. The Suns are shown live on FTA every week while the Titans are rarely on FTA (even on delay) and sometimes not even on Foxtel. So please, where are the tv ratings for GC residents?
Did you miss the point of my post? Don't confuse titans v suns with rugby league v afl support on the Gold Coast. Ratings for both codes in qld are widely available and the afl still doesn't attract large numbers. Btw, if titans aren't on fta then they are on foxtel, all NRL games are televised.

Last edited:
Did you miss the point of my post? Don't confuse titans v suns with rugby league v afl support on the Gold Coast. Ratings for both codes in qld are widely available and the afl still doesn't attract large numbers. Btw, if titans aren't on fta then they are on foxtel, all NRL games are televised.
Ah I see what you're saying. Is there any way to find the Gold Coast ratings for NRL and AFL games? Queensland/south east Queensland/Brisbane ratings would be very misleading when it comes to the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast and Brisbane are two very different areas.

I did not know every game is televised on either FTA or Foxtel. Doesn't really help the Titans though. We only get Friday night games (Titans barely get any all season) and a delayed Sunday game. That means the Gold Coast population barely ever gets to watch their team live on FTA where as we get the Suns live every week. Considering less than half the Australian population has Foxtel, it doesn't exactly make it easy to watch the Titans every week.

Ah I see what you're saying. Is there any way to find the Gold Coast ratings for NRL and AFL games? Queensland/south east Queensland/Brisbane ratings would be very misleading when it comes to the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast and Brisbane are two very different areas.

I did not know every game is televised on either FTA or Foxtel. Doesn't really help the Titans though. We only get Friday night games (Titans barely get any all season) and a delayed Sunday game. That means the Gold Coast population barely ever gets to watch their team live on FTA where as we get the Suns live every week. Considering less than half the Australian population has Foxtel, it doesn't exactly make it easy to watch the Titans every week.
Looking at their draw they have seven fta games this season.

The Gold Coast is an included catchment area in the oztam metropolitan figure for Brisbane.

Looking at their draw they have seven fta games this season.

The Gold Coast is an included catchment area in the oztam metropolitan figure for Brisbane.
7 vs 22 for the Suns. Not really a fair comparison.

Well that's a very unfair way to represent the Gold Coast by using Brisbane figures. I live here and know how different the two cities are, especially when it comes to sport.

7 vs 22 for the Suns. Not really a fair comparison.

Well that's a very unfair way to represent the Gold Coast by using Brisbane figures. I live here and know how different the two cities are, especially when it comes to sport.
I live here too and while it has it's differences it's still qld.

It's not unfair, GC ratings are still represented, just as an overall figure that includes the rest of SE Qld and the afl is still largely niche viewing.

I live here too and while it has it's differences it's still qld.

It's not unfair, GC ratings are still represented, just as an overall figure that includes the rest of SE Qld and the afl is still largely niche viewing.
That's completely unfair. Brisbane has quadruple the population of the Gold Coast so how could we possibly ascertain how many GCers are watching either code? As a Gold Coaster, I'm actually offended that you are trying to say Brisbane is a good representative of the Gold Coast. People need to get this through their head - BRISBANE IS NOT QLD. Queensland is a diverse state. Just because people in Brisbane want to introduce daylight saving doesn't mean others up north do. Even Ipswich is different to Brisbane. Experimental can back me up on that one.

Just out of interest as i did not see the game was there a good GC Suns fan base at the game ?.

Maybe 15 percent. Less after half time ;).

There were a massive amount of free Auskick tickets given out for that game to be fair which may have bloated the crowd figures a tad.

There is a big article in the GC Bulletin today that has the NRL CEO claiming the Titans are going to stay on the Gold Coast.

There is a big article in the GC Bulletin today that has the NRL CEO claiming the Titans are going to stay on the Gold Coast.
Can't say I'm surprised, but I'm genuinely curious as to how they're going to fix what they've ruined.

That's completely unfair. Brisbane has quadruple the population of the Gold Coast so how could we possibly ascertain how many GCers are watching either code? As a Gold Coaster, I'm actually offended that you are trying to say Brisbane is a good representative of the Gold Coast. People need to get this through their head - BRISBANE IS NOT QLD. Queensland is a diverse state. Just because people in Brisbane want to introduce daylight saving doesn't mean others up north do. Even Ipswich is different to Brisbane. Experimental can back me up on that one.
I don't understand how you could be offended, I'm not saying brisbane is an indication of anything on the coast, all I am saying is that for oztam metro coverage the ratings encompasses most of south east qld, I'm sure you could get out of that the breakdown for the Gold Coast if you paid for oztam but for the purposes of ascertaining overall interest between the codes it would be fair to assume that when one code averages say 30k and the other 250k the breakdown for GC viewers would likely favour the code with substantially greater overall ratings.

Can't say I'm surprised, but I'm genuinely curious as to how they're going to fix what they've ruined.
Wouldn't be surprised if that billionaire Salford owner was in discussions with the titans about taking a share in the club, there was a report in the Australian a few weeks ago about his interest in owning an NRL club and that he was in discussions with a couple. Gold Coast Red Devils?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back