Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be a one horse town soon? :/

I'm sure the AFL is thinking of ways to put it's boot to the NRLs throat..

How the **** can you 'suspend' the docking of points? Why fine them at all?

The Titans are a shite team, so how they breached the salary cap is beyond me. Fools.

Probably did not meet the minimum level required :p

Remember the salary cap has a bottom too haha

Titans have lost Albert Kelly to the UK. Leaguies I work with seem to think they'll be a worse team without him next season, even if he is 'horribly inconsistant.' While all of the changes they've made on the off-field side have been welcomed by disenfranchised fans (Searl clinging on notwithstanding), as with any sporting team it won't mean much if they don't win more games.

Titans have lost Albert Kelly to the UK. Leaguies I work with seem to think they'll be a worse team without him next season, even if he is 'horribly inconsistant.' While all of the changes they've made on the off-field side have been welcomed by disenfranchised fans (Searl clinging on notwithstanding), as with any sporting team it won't mean much if they don't win more games.
Does this include the $300,000 fine for breaking the salary cap? haha

My guess is the NRL will relocate the Titans to Logan/Ipswich area. Huge RL juniors area, close to the Darling Downs, and more central to the RL supporter base. It will slow the growth of AFL in these areas which is booming for us at the moment. AFL is getting a really good Juniors following in Logan/Ipswich areas. New clubs. Talks of 'Sister' clubs to build even more juniors.

The NRL heartland in QLD is populated between Brisbane and Toowoomba and 200km either side. The best location for an NRL side in SEQ is not on the GC, but in the Ipswich area. The AFL are fully aware of this and they also have plans in the area. The battle between AFL and the NRL, the front line, is SEQLD. Draw a 150-200 km radius from Ipswich and that is the battlefield.

My guess is the NRL will relocate the Titans to Logan/Ipswich area. Huge RL juniors area, close to the Darling Downs, and more central to the RL supporter base. It will slow the growth of AFL in these areas which is booming for us at the moment. AFL is getting a really good Juniors following in Logan/Ipswich areas. New clubs. Talks of 'Sister' clubs to build even more juniors.

The NRL heartland in QLD is populated between Brisbane and Toowoomba and 200km either side. The best location for an NRL side in SEQ is not on the GC, but in the Ipswich area. The AFL are fully aware of this and they also have plans in the area. The battle between AFL and the NRL, the front line, is SEQLD. Draw a 150-200 km radius from Ipswich and that is the battlefield.

The swich blades, MAKE IT HAPPEN

Ipswich should have had an NRL team a decade ago, if not more. The Queensland Team of the Century was made of 90% Ipswich/Western Corridor players, with very few from Brisbane itself. Ipswich is an NRL powerhouse and shouldn't be ignored. AFL is seeping through the cracks and is slowly making ground west of Brisbane.

The NRL should never have aimed to take over 'non NRL' areas like Melbourne, GC, and even NZ, and really needs to cut this 'State of Origin in Victoria' bullshit. Imagine if it were purely NSW and QLD, with 9 teams in each state. Even I'd be interested in that.

Having gone to the Rugby test between the Wallabies and All Blacks last week (which was ******* amazing btw - union is brilliant), I decided to also go to the 4 Nations game at Suncorp this weekend to see what the fuss is about. Pretty keen, but it seems like a gimmick to me. Can't have an international game when Australia is the only worthwhile country that gives a * about the sport. Union, however...

Such as? I'm really curious about the development of AFL in Queensland but I have very little knowledge of whats actually happening up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such as? I'm really curious about the development of AFL in Queensland but I have very little knowledge of whats actually happening up there.
Not sure what he's inferring, but AFL is getting a following by the kids. It's obviously harder to swap codes when you've followed the sport your whole life, but the kids are really getting into it. Auskick has made its way into many schools despite RL still being the main code. On my way to work in the afternoons I often see ovals filled with kids about 10 and under, all playing Aussie Rules - there are usually 10+ games going on at once, too.

Similarly, you'll start to find more and more pubs around Brisbane and Ipswich advertising AFL games. Obviously now that the season has ended you wont, but even The Caxton (which is right next to Suncorp Stadium, home of the Brisbane Broncos) which is usually NRL crazy advertises AFL games now. I'd say it's pretty unusual to find a pub that doesn't play AFL games on TV, in Brisbane anyway.

Ipswich is literally NRL homeland. Western Sydney used to be the true homeland, but with GWS beginning to break through, and the relatively huge A-League following, Ipswich is the only place truly NRL-mad. BUT the junior rugby league teams are usually full of islanders or kiwis who grew up on the game, whereas the junior AFL clubs come from all backgrounds, but also usually exclusively Australian-born.

The Gold Coast has always been pretty AFL friendly, unlike Brisbane, but with the Suns on the up, unless the Titans turn things around in 2015, they've lost the war and will have no hope of ever capturing the heart of the coast. If the Lions make it back into the finals in the next few years as expected, the people of Brisbane will jump on the train again and you'll see a *load of people interested again, and in turn, you'll find more and more school interested in having an Auskick program.

I grew up in Ipswich my whole life, and even after moving overseas, I came back to Ipswich. Rugby league was HUGE when I was a kid, but when I was in grade 4, the Lions were on their run to their first premiership. My school went AFL crazy (but most people still followed the NRL - just followed both codes equally as closely). Auskick started at my school and almost everybody joined up. I remember playing at half time at the Gabba during the Lions vs Richmond prelim in front of a sell-out crowd - * that was a good year. Lions won the premiership, then won again, then won again. That's honestly where people my age (22 now) who've grown up in western Brisbane have found their love for the sport - the publicity of the Brisbane Lions three-peat, and it's still alive to this day. More than ever.

Alliance shapes as a big winner
(30th September 2014 6:00 AM)
more..." data-original-title="
IQT_30-09-2014_SPORT_05_PARTNERS20A_fct772x579x252.0_t280.jpg
ROOM TO GROW: Ipswich cricket and Ipswich Cats Aussie rules presidents Peter Leschke (left) and Sean McComb are working together under a new shared arrangement at the Ivor Marsden Memorial Sports Centre. Rob Williams

HAVING cricket and Aussie rules working together makes sense when one is a popular summer sport and the other is a growing winter junior nursery.
However, a shared venue needs enough fields and facilities to accommodate both sports and allow for future expansion.

A new partnership is hoping to achieve that at the Ivor Marsden Memorial Sports Centre at Amberley.
Two key presidents involved in the new arrangement are Peter Leschke (Ipswich and West Moreton Cricket Association) and Sean McComb, from the Ipswich Central (Cats) Junior Australian Football Club.

Both progressive leaders have welcomed support from Ipswich City Council and AFL Queensland in broadening the use of the Ivor Marsden fields, facilities and clubhouse.
The spacious venue on Old Toowoomba Road has primarily been used for cricket in the summer months.
However, that's about to change next year.

"We've agreed that the Ipswich Cats and Ipswich Cricket will jointly share the Marsden complex, therefore giving us every opportunity to leverage grants through the dual use and the multi-use of the facility," Leschke said.

"And trying to get as much winter sport involvement as we can.
"We're really excited about that opportunity.
"It's very beneficial for the city and hopefully we can get some overlap with our players playing both sports."

McComb said the Cats had outgrown their overcrowded Limestone Park base.
With 220 juniors (aged to under-18), he said the Cats club would benefit greatly from the move to Amberley.
"We've grown about 100 percent this year so it's not big enough and development-wise on one field with six teams (at Limestone Park)," McComb said.

Leschke said Baxter Oval would be kept for major cricket matches with the current number one field becoming the Cats' main playing arena.
"We'll try to keep those separate at this stage," Leschke said.
The other fields will be shared, depending on demand.
"I don't think there'll be too much overlap (of seasons). It will be pretty cut and dried," the IWMCA boss said.
"They are done in August and we start in September so it's a pretty good relationship for us."

Terrific benefits from new partnership
AFTER two years as Ipswich Cats club president, Sean McComb is keen to work with cricket in helping both sports grow.
"It's a great culture as well," McComb said, citing some key benefits of sharing the Ivor Marsden complex with cricket.
"The facilities are fantastic. The clubhouse is sensational.
"It's the cross pollination of players and more exposure basically."
Car parking pressures will also be eased at Amberley for those used to the limited space around Limestone Park where the Cats have played.

McComb hopes the new arrangement will allow more work to be done with schools and to grow the club's volunteer base.
"We'll be able to hold junior carnival days and host finals," he said.

The Cats held their junior presentation at the Ivor Marsden complex last Sunday while T20 cricket matches were going on.
Cats junior Aussie rules teams will gain use of three fields for fixtures and carnivals from April.

http://m.qt.com.au/news/alliance-shapes-as-a-big-winner/2402906/

Last edited:
That time of the year again. I will add in the Titans games when the draw comes out.

Round 2 Suns v Saints (Sat, 11 April, 7:20pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 5 Suns v Lions (Sat, 2 May, 4:35pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 6 Suns v Crows (Sat, 9 May, 5:10pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 8 Suns v Magpies (Sat, 23 May, 4:35pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 10 Suns v Swans (Sat, 6 June, 4:35pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 11 Suns v Dockers (Sat, 13 June, 1:40pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 14 Suns v Kangaroos (Sat, 4 July, 4:35pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 16 Suns v Giants (Sat, 18 July, 2:10pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 18 Suns v Eagles (Sat, 1 August, 7:20pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 21 Suns v Bombers (Sat, 22 August, 4:35pm)
Metricon Stadium:

Round 22 Suns v Power (Sat, 29 August, 7:20pm)
Metricon Stadium:

So there have been a few tweaks to the way the AFL has structured the Suns' draw in 2015. Every game is on Saturday. Six twilight games, three night games and two afternoon games . They have clearly listened to the Suns' request to play more twilight games and play night games earlier (7:20pm instead of 7:40pm). The 7:20pm start time should make a bit of a difference to night games considering most 7:40pm games ended around 10:20pm. So people are going to get home around 10:30pm as opposed to nearly 11pm in the past. It will make a difference but it probably won't be dramatic at the start. Another interesting aspect is the fact that they are going to play back to back weeks three times in 2015 (5&6, 10&11, 21&22).

Last edited:
In terms of appeal, I'm categorising the games into two groups.

Blockbusters (18k+)

2 May - Brisbane (4:35pm)
23 May - Collingwood (4:35pm)
6 June - Sydney (4:35pm)
22 August - Essendon (4:35pm)

Low Drawers (<18k)
11 April - St Kilda (7:20pm)
9 May - Adelaide (5:10pm)
13 June - Fremantle (1:40pm)
4 July - North Melbourne (4:35pm)
18 July - GWS (2:10pm)
1 August - West Coast (7:20pm)
29 August - Port Adelaide (7:20pm)

Although the Brisbane game has never pulled 18k in the past at Metricon, I believe Lions fans will show up in bigger numbers in 2015. Collingwood is Collingwood and they'll probably set another attendance record in 2015. Sydney should draw another big crowd like this year when the Tippett&Buddy show returns to Metricon. Essendon has a good following in south east Queensland and should draw around the 20k mark as well.

Last edited:
In terms of appeal, I'm categorising the games into two groups.

Blockbusters (18k+)

2 May - Brisbane (4:35pm)
23 May - Collingwood (4:35pm)
6 June - Sydney (4:35pm)
22 August - Essendon (4:35pm)

Low Drawers (<18k)
11 April - St Kilda (7:20pm)
9 May - Adelaide (5:10pm)
13 June - Fremantle (1:40pm)
4 July - North Melbourne (4:35pm)
18 July - GWS (2:10pm)
1 August - West Coast (7:20pm)
29 August - Port Adelaide (7:20pm)

Although the Brisbane game has never pulled 18k in the past at Metricon, I believe Lions fans will show up in bigger numbers in 2015. Collingwood is Collingwood and they'll probably set another attendance record in 2015. Sydney should draw another big crowd like this year when the Tippett&Buddy show returns to Metricon. Essendon has a good following in south east Queensland and should draw around the 20k mark as well.
They need to offer lions members some kind of discounted prepurchased ticket or something to attract greater numbers to head down.
Would be good to get 20k at least to the qclash...

They need to offer lions members some kind of discounted prepurchased ticket or something to attract greater numbers to head down.
Would be good to get 20k at least to the qclash...
They do offer a discount for Suns members heading to the QClash at the Gabba but I'm sure you already know that. People from Brisbane don't seem to enjoy getting on the train for an hour to watch their team. The numbers at the last QClash at the Gabba were quite strong (27,167) and that was a night where the weather was absolutely atrocious. No doubt Lions fans will show up in their support for the first few rounds to see Beams and Christensen but I guess the game at Metricon will heavily depend on how the Lions fair in the first four rounds. They have Collingwood (h), North Melbourne (a), Richmond (h) and West Coast (h). Not the best draw but if they can come out of that 3-1 then I think you'll see a strong crowd at Metricon in round 5.

I saw the Titans on the GC news last night and they are now training at TSS. The field looked identical to where Gold Coast United used to train and I have attached a picture for anyone else who might know. Their headquarters are now in Bundall where the council chambers are. Everything is temporary for them right now. Apparently one of their players got arrested just recently too.

IripZoY.jpg

We are just lucky the AFL sorted all of our issues out before we entered the league. Bring on the new training facilities at Carrara!

Their captain caught urinating on a police car. You couldn't write this stuff. I wonder if this'll affect the amount they receive for a jumper sponsor next year? Local posters have any thoughts on what impact - if any - this will have on Titans crowds (i'm thinking families especially)?

I saw in the Bully that the Titans are aiming for 10,000 members before Christmas, just as we are. I'm not sure what their current numbers are but their tickets are a lot cheaper than ours are!

Haha. I imagine the pissing incident won't help their membership numbers, despite the structural shakeup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back