Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

As strange as it seems from a SUNS supporter, id like the Titans to stay just where they are. I hope they survive just how they have the last 5 years.

What we don't want is anything to upset the huge growth of AFL in the Darling Downs and Ipswich areas where AFL is exploding! In Ipswich, junior numbers have more than doubled in 2 seasons! I expect to see that again in another 2 seasons. Ipswich is one of the 3 fastest growing areas for AFL in the...... world. The Toowoomba schools AFL comp has 31 teams competing! Also, the u12s AFL state carnival will be held in Toowoomba this season, giving further exposure of the code to the region.

If the Titans were to be moved to Logan or Ipswich, AFL would take a huge whack in its momentum. A more centralised NRL team to the cities of Toowoomba and Ipswich, Logan and west Brisbane, would be hugely more successful in membership for an NRL franchise than the remote, failing, tarnished GC Titans.

Just lets hope the Titans come out of this OK, stay right where they are, and continue to be a mediocre, unthreatening entity to the growth of AFL in SEQLD.
I completely agree mate.

Welcome back :)

I completely agree mate.

Welcome back :)

Thanks mate.

Something id like to add. A mate of mine went to an NRL juniors presidents meeting for the Brisbane area a week or 2 ago. The speaker revealed that the code was losing 35% of its players per season on average across the board, in NSW and QLD im led to believe. That is a 65% player retention rate, which is atrocious. The way they survive is that they gain perhaps 30% in the younger age groups (u6-7-8) but the huge losses are coming from the teens who get smashed by these bigger boys. The NRL speaker suggested no alternative to fix the problem (there aren't any). There were other reasons put forward of why they are losing players, but AFL wasn't one of them....(head in the sand?)

So the blame of the 35% loss of juniors was put down to 'bigger players' entering the code in the last few years. As the retention rate had never been so bad. My mate said it was 'the Polynesian factor' but im not sure if the speaker actually said that.

Where those 35% are going is anyone's guess. But the explosive growth of AFL in SEQ may be an indication.

AFL as an alternative contact game can be explained like this; A talented 13yo, could safely play in an u16s game of AFL and contribute, or even star. An u13 in an u16 RL game who tries to make an impact will get smashed. One code is about attacking the ball. The other is about attacking the man.

Lastly, on the Graham Hughes 'talkin sport' radio program (every weekday 3-6) he revealed that of the NRL's u20s competition, 75% are now made up of players of Polynesian origin. He said the NRL are looking at ways to make the game have greater 'attrition' to bring smaller players back into the game. The obvious one is to get rid of the interchange. But that wont happen.

In the USA there is one code of football. The biggest and best get chosen, demographics don't come into it.

In Australia there are 4 popular codes. With such a small population, demographics are going to make a huge impact. AFL reflect the demographics of Australia with most 'nationalities' represented.

Last edited:
Thanks mate.

Something id like to add. A mate of mine went to an NRL juniors presidents meeting for the Brisbane area a week or 2 ago. The speaker revealed that the code was losing 35% of its players per season on average across the board, in NSW and QLD im led to believe. That is a 65% player retention rate, which is atrocious. The way they survive is that they gain perhaps 30% in the younger age groups (u6-7-8) but the huge losses are coming from the teens who get smashed by these bigger boys. The NRL speaker suggested no alternative. There were other reasons put forward of why they are losing players, but AFL wasn't one of them....(head in the sand?)

So the blame of the 35% loss of juniors was put down to 'bigger players' entering the code in the last few years. As the retention rate had never been so bad. My mate said it was 'the Polynesian factor' but im not sure if the speaker actually said that.

Where those 35% are going is anyones guess. But the explosive growth of AFL in SEQ may be an indication.

AFL as an alternative contact game can be explained like this; A talented 13yo, could safely play in an u16s game of AFL and contribute, or even star. An u13 in an u16 RL game who tries to make an impact will get smashed. One code is about attacking the ball. The other is about attacking the man.

That is an enormous amount of juniors to be losing every year. You mention the polynesian factor and that would explain why there is such a huge percentage of polynesians in the under 20s NRL comp. I think I read it's something like 40% despite the fact that polynesians only equate to about 1% of the australian population. It's fascinating to hear SEQ junior numbers are falling in league and exploding in footy. Do you think there are any other factors besides the polynesian factor?

Now there is a strong rumour in the media that greg bird wants to leave the titans. He is one of their best players and was captaining the club until he decided to urinate in public.

Honestly I don't know how the passionate supporters put up with this. There seems to be a problem with the club coming out every week.
I cringe every time I see that dopey bastard, I hope he stays as he is incapable of decent human behaviour, it can only be good for the Suns.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...ould-have-folded/story-fnj9yd9w-1227237781936

There you go bigleague. The club was put into voluntary administration because it was going to go into liquidation and would have folded in a few weeks from now. That's why the NRL has taken over the ownership.
no, it was placed into voluntary administration because the board decided the company was likely to become insolvent, as is their duty. After Administrators have investigated the company they will report to creditors who will determine whether to hand back the company to it's directors or put it in liquidation. The NRL have committed to pay creditors so the company will be handed back to the board, without the debt and baggage.

Last edited:
That is a 65% player retention rate, which is atrocious. The way they survive is that they gain perhaps 30% in the younger age groups (u6-7-8) but the huge losses are coming from the teens who get smashed by these bigger boys.

That is where Aussie Rules has the advantage in the Junior arena. You look at the AFL where you have the likes of Jack Martin playing in the same game as a Cloke or Sandilands yet still performing a valuable role for the team. Kids no matter what their body shape or size can always find a professional player that they can aspire to be like.

To be fair, NRL has players like DCE running around with a small build and dominating, but it's far less common.

AFL is definitely a fairer sport when it comes to size. It's athleticism, not physicality, that determines the greatness of the team.

In Australia there are 4 popular codes. With such a small population, demographics are going to make a huge impact. AFL reflect the demographics of Australia with most 'nationalities' represented.

No chance that AFL has more 'nationalities' represented than any other major code in Australia. NRL has players from England, NZ, Pacific Islands, PNG etc, Union (Super 15) has players from SA and NZ with the odd Argentinean (in Australian teams), Soccer, well where do you start?

AFL may have a nice select of foreign sounding names, but no real diversity, because the only pathway to play the game at a high level exists in Australia. And those foreign sounding names are actually Australian's. The amount of real foreign players (actually came over after 16 years old to play AFL), actually playing AFL would be lucky to get to 5.

No chance that AFL has more 'nationalities' represented than any other major code in Australia. NRL has players from England, NZ, Pacific Islands, PNG etc, Union (Super 15) has players from SA and NZ with the odd Argentinean (in Australian teams), Soccer, well where do you start?

AFL may have a nice select of foreign sounding names, but no real diversity, because the only pathway to play the game at a high level exists in Australia. And those foreign sounding names are actually Australian's. The amount of real foreign players (actually came over after 16 years old to play AFL), actually playing AFL would be lucky to get to 5.

AFL more accurately reflects the demographic makeup of Australia. We are not 60% pacific islanders...

Australia, like AFL has a majority European (or various European nationalities) representation, African, Asian, Pacific Island, Arabic etc, all playing the game closer to the % of their populations represented in the community. That's what makes it a true national game. All sizes, and shapes can play AFL. Its not a code that suits beefcake only.

Last edited:

fabulousphil look who showed up!

AFL more accurately reflects the demographic makeup of Australia. We are not 60% pacific islanders...

Australia, like AFL has a majority European (or various European nationalities) representation, African, Asian, Pacific Island, Arabic etc, all playing the game closer to the % of their populations represented in the community. That's what makes it a true national game. All sizes, and shapes can play AFL. Its not a code that suits beefcake only.
A multicultural AFL? Not quite

Someone needs to call out the AFL on this one. As if we don't have enough ''noble work'' rounds already, we are this weekend lumbered with the most ludicrously framed of them all, Multicultural Round. The only round more silly would be one that celebrated the game's great Barrys.

I'm not against the idea of celebrating cultural diversity in any arena. More power to those who want to remind us that we live in a diverse and multicultural society.

But if anyone in the AFL bothered to think deeply for even a moment about the motivations of the Multicultural Round, they would run a mile.

Unfortunately, the AFL does not have all that much to celebrate in terms of its cultural diversity - yet. While the AFL diversity website claims that ''Australian football has the extraordinary power to bring people together regardless of their background'', the proof is just not there. For example, of the 817 listed AFL players, only 22 were born overseas, just below 3 per cent. This can be compared with the general Australian population in which 25 per cent were born overseas.

Perhaps it could be argued that AFL figures are not representative of the game as a whole. This may be the case but it would then be an indictment of the development pathways available for the non-Australian-born.

The AFL claims a higher figure in relation to those of a ''multicultural background''. About 15 per cent of listed players fit the AFL's multicultural criterion of having at least one parent born overseas. So the AFL falls down here as well, because more than 45 per cent of the Australian population fits this criterion.

When we look more closely at the figures, further problems appear.

Of those 121 ''multicultural'' players, more than half have one parent from Anglophone countries, mainly Britain, Ireland and New Zealand. Steele Sidebottom, born in Australia to an Australian father and English mother, does not strike me as a significant embodiment of cultural diversity. And the idea that Simon Black's Kiwi father makes him somehow ''multicultural'' borders on the perverse. Dermott Brereton? Really?

Bizarrely, this definition would allow most of the game's Anglo-Australian founders to be described as multicultural and eligible for selection in the all-time multicultural Australian rules team.

Yet this construction of multicultural identity is not universally applied in the AFL's thinking. Fourth-generation Australian Ron Barassi is included in a historical list of multicultural players. There's a tokenism here that cares more about the woggy surname than it does about the realities and differences of Italian-Australian culture. It's all just a bit silly.

Actually, it isn't just silly. It's also pernicious. The problem with all of this lies in the construction of a ''multicultural'' identity as opposed to another (true blue?) identity. The diversity gurus at the AFL seem to think that in breaking Australian society into two categories (insiders and outsiders, native-born and migrants, or Australians and multiculturals?) they are doing us a favour when in fact they are replicating the kind of Hansonite stereotypes that gave us the Cronulla riots.

When Eddie McGuire makes stupid comments about the ''Felafel Land'' of western Sydney or Kevin Sheedy reveals his ignorance in talking about the Immigration Department supplying supporters for the Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club, they articulate the AFL's failure to understand the social fissures encouraged by this false division between ''real'' and ''wannabe'' Aussies.

The bottom line is that in a multicultural society we are all multicultural. We all have ethnic and cultural baggage that sets us up in relation to the fluid process that we call multicultural Australia. We are all in it together and none of the imported cultures deserve the priority that is the privilege of the truly indigenous.

The AFL is to be congratulated for recognising and using its great social clout for good on any number of issues. The way the AFL has supported indigenous players in their struggle to be recognised as powerful and legitimate contributors to the game is one of our great sport stories of recent times. It should also be supported for acknowledging that it is not a particularly diverse sport and for taking steps to correct that.

But I'll be buggered if I am going to pat it on the back for playing catch-up football on cultural diversity. Let me know when the siren sounds on this game because I reckon we have a while to go. Meanwhile, I'm off to a game this weekend that, for all its faults, is so culturally diverse that to play ''spot the wog'' would be redundant. I'll leave that to the AFL.

Ian Syson teaches literary studies and professional writing at Victoria University and is researching the history of football codes in Australia.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/a-multicultural-afl-not-quite-20130712-2pvik.html

Ha ha, Ian Syson is about the biggest hater of Ausssie Rules going around, good work :thumbsu:.

It figures that you would quote him, i feel you are becoming a little desperate.

Please keep us up to date with the chances of the GC Suns and AFL players being dragged into the RL drug cartel, we have not had a link for a while now.

Ha ha, Ian Syson is about the biggest hater of Ausssie Rules going around, good work :thumbsu:.

It figures that you would quote him, i feel you are becoming a little desperate.

Please keep us up to date with the chances of the GC Suns and AFL players being dragged into the RL drug cartel, we have not had a link for a while now.
precious as ever I see, why would I be desperate?

You don't seem to be capable of an adult discussion? If you refute the claims, say why, explain how the AFL is the perfect measure of cultural diversity in Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't seem to be capable of an adult discussion? If you refute the claims, say why, explain how the AFL is the perfect measure of cultural diversity in Australia.

No one said it was perfect. I am saying its a closer reflection of Australias demographic than RL.

You cant dispute that.

75% of NRL u20 are boys of Islander heritage.

No one said it was perfect. I am saying its a closer reflection of Australias demographic than RL.

You cant dispute that.

75% of NRL u20 are boys of Islander heritage.
You said the NRL is 60% pacific island decent, which is inaccurate, it is 37% according to the NRL.

I agree it is a issue for rugby league, but the games diversity is also something to celebrate. I disagree with your portrayal of the AFL's cultural diversity, which I don't believe is a reflection of modern Australia.

Grassroots RL is skewed toward Polynesian players for their athletic qualities but also because communities with large populations of pacific island decent are more concentrated in QLD & NSW. It's no doubt a problem in junior football with the size of the Polynesian kids pushing smaller kids out of the game earlier and the game probably needs to look more closely at weight divisions, but some kids would then also struggle with maturity.

I agree it is a issue for rugby league, but the games diversity is also something to celebrate. I disagree with your portrayal of the AFL's cultural diversity, which I don't believe is a reflection of modern Australia.

Grassroots RL is skewed toward Polynesian players for their athletic qualities but also because communities with large populations of pacific island decent are more concentrated in QLD & NSW. It's no doubt a problem in junior football with the size of the Polynesian kids pushing smaller kids out of the game earlier and the game probably needs to look more closely at weight divisions, but some kids would then also struggle with maturity.

Would love to know the percentage over the years re in influx of polynesians in the NRL , they really seem to be taking over when you compare watching a game 10 years ago . If the trend continues what will the game look like in 10 years time ? Will it feel like a foreign game? Will the Aussie youth desert the game if played majority by players from overseas .

Glad we Aussies have our own game , a game that is truly ours and just so happens to be the greatest game on the planet.

Would love to know the percentage over the years re in influx of polynesians in the NRL , they really seem to be taking over when you compare watching a game 10 years ago . If the trend continues what will the game look like in 10 years time ? Will it feel like a foreign game? Will the Aussie youth desert the game if played majority by players from overseas .

Glad we Aussies have our own game , a game that is truly ours and just so happens to be the greatest game on the planet.
I was a huge Broncos fan as a child and loved the game until it began to get dominated by Polynesians. It used to be a really quick, swift, athletic game - and now it's slow, boring, and filled with fat blokes with no natural talent apart from eating KFC. It never used to be like that.

My girlfriend's grandfather played for Australia in rugby league in the 50s/60s and a close friend of mine had both her grandfather and great grandfather play for Australia. Hell, Dan Dempsey is in the top 100 Australian rugby league players to ever have played.

The game has changed from what it once was.

Granted State of Origin and representative events are still okay, the game has definitely changed and is almost completely foreign as compared with what it once was.

I am going to the round one game between the Broncs and Souths though -that'll almost definitely be a great game. Those sides actually have athletes.

As I was writing that, I realized it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I guess it would be best suited to the AFL vs NRL thread.

Back to Titans and Suns news!

I don't think anyone quoting Ian Syson is seriously seeking a adult discussion on the AFL or Australian football.

His agenda is about as obvious as yours, well actually more so , because IMO he is actually honest with his agenda.

My favourite team is not one of cultural diversity but South Fremantle Croation team of the century, it includes Matthew Pavlich in it because when first drafted by the Dockers he played for South Freo.

From a two page article in the West Australian .

Bulldogs dream team .(From FB)

Jon Dorotich Darren Gaspar Travis Gaspar
Damien Gaspar Glen Jakovich Danny Civich
Rod Grijusich Tony Parentich Otto Santich
Eric Sarich Tom Grijusich Allen Jakovich
Peter Sumich John Gerovich Scott Watters
Ruck jack Sumich Mathew pavlich jack Rocchi
INT Ivan Glucina George Grijusich Tony Begovich dean Ercegovich

Scott (Ivankovich) Watters.
Emergencies
Don,Mark,Andy & Ross Grijusich,Ivan Bartul,Matt & Mark Sambrailo,Budi,Laurie & JoeSumich,Murray Bogunovich,Branko & CraigCivich,Joe & NickSilich,David & Terry Lucich,Kym Zubrinich,Frank Lendich,Bob Bucat,Gary Cukrov,Jason,Surjan,Dennis Novak,John,Pavlovic,Gary Jakovich

no, it was placed into voluntary administration because the board decided the company was likely to become insolvent, as is their duty. After Administrators have investigated the company they will report to creditors who will determine whether to hand back the company to it's directors or put it in liquidation. The NRL have committed to pay creditors so the company will be handed back to the board, without the debt and baggage.
You realise the article specifically says the club was going to fold in a few weeks if the nrl had not stepped in right? Everyone knows they had crippling debt and it finally got to a point where they would have saved money by winding up the company. Shows you how committed the people involved really were. Luckily the nrl is committed.

You realise the article specifically says the club was going to fold in a few weeks if the nrl had not stepped in right? Everyone knows they had crippling debt and it finally got to a point where they would have saved money by winding up the company. Shows you how committed the people involved really were. Luckily the nrl is committed.
I was only explaining how voluntary administration works and how it's different to just saying they were about to go into liquidation. A lot of companies that go into VA don't go into liquidation.

I think the license has probably been transferred to a new company created by the NRL anyway so the old company will be wound up in the end and if that's the case the club will be able to negotiate a new stadium deal which should also help the new company cut costs.

tbf, Kelly had poured in over $5m just to keep them alive when the CoE finally blew up in their face, so I don't think you can question his resolve. But, yes, it's a positive that the NRL have finally taken control.

Last edited:
I was a huge Broncos fan as a child and loved the game until it began to get dominated by Polynesians. It used to be a really quick, swift, athletic game - and now it's slow, boring, and filled with fat blokes with no natural talent apart from eating KFC. It never used to be like that.

My girlfriend's grandfather played for Australia in rugby league in the 50s/60s and a close friend of mine had both her grandfather and great grandfather play for Australia. Hell, Dan Dempsey is in the top 100 Australian rugby league players to ever have played.

The game has changed from what it once was.

Granted State of Origin and representative events are still okay, the game has definitely changed and is almost completely foreign as compared with what it once was.

I am going to the round one game between the Broncs and Souths though -that'll almost definitely be a great game. Those sides actually have athletes.
Players are more athletic than they have ever been, the wrestling in the ruck is what is slowly ruining the game and until the NRL gets coaches on board to have their teams play to the spirit of the game it's just going to have the NRL constantly playing catch up and trying to come up with more and more rules to get rid of it. Polynesian players skills and athleticism are some of the only things that make the wrestle bearable, the only negative affect about their increasing involvement is in grassroots for reasons I have already mentioned.

Last edited:
Looking like a pretty average crowd for Brisbane Roar's first Asian Champions League game at Robina tonight. At least the fans are having a bit of fun:

HKpif1c.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back