Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Having worked in Ipswich a lot over the past year, I can confirm that if Ipswich was to get an NRL team tomorrow it would succeed (off-field) immediately. That place is definitely league central.

An NRL team in Ipswich (and an AFL team in Tassie) would immediately succeed off-field Western Sydney Wanderers style

However I don't agree with folding the Titans or relocating them, they're failing because they are poorly run, not because they are on the Gold Coast

Having worked in Ipswich a lot over the past year, I can confirm that if Ipswich was to get an NRL team tomorrow it would succeed (off-field) immediately. That place is definitely league central.

An NRL team in Ipswich (and an AFL team in Tassie) would immediately succeed off-field Western Sydney Wanderers style

However I don't agree with folding the Titans or relocating them, they're failing because they are poorly run, not because they are on the Gold Coast
The Titans have proven in the past that RL can work on the Gold Coast so the validity of the team isn't in question. As you pointed out, it has been poorly managed in recent years and has been held down for that reason. I need to stress that I wasn't suggesting the Titans should move, just that it was a possibility with the new TV rights deal coming up. I've said numerous times that the NRL can retain the Titans AND start a western Brisbane franchise. It's not one or the other. It just depends on whether the NRL wants to go beyond a 16-team competition.

The Gold Coast is a difficult market to manage and the Titans are already the longest running pro sports team of all time (9 years) which should be congratulated. The Suns will become the second longest running pro sports team on the Gold Coast next year. I really do believe Aussie rules and RL are the only sports that can thrive in the Gold Coast market. Cricket is the unknown at this point but I tend to think a BBL team would work because of the short season and shorter version of the game. I don't think an ODI or test series would do well on the coast.

Anyway, does anyone have a crowd prediction for the Port game this weekend? I'm thinking about 13k.

Anyway, does anyone have a crowd prediction for the Port game this weekend? I'm thinking about 13k.
I'll say around 12k.

Final game of the round, both clubs coming off a win. Port games at Metricon average around 12k anyway, but the time slot isn't the best.

Though the last time we played Port at home was in pouring rain and still got 10k. If we're lucky, it'll be 13k+, but anywhere between 10k and 12k should be expected.

Mate, Agree with what you've said, but the best move the NRL can make is to re-locate the Titans, re-badge them to Ipswich. GC is a drain on resources, crowds are down, and Gold coast has been a graveyard for sports teams for decades. As you have said, a team to Ipswich would be successful....and HUGE!!

Regardless of what the Titans do.... if the GC Suns aren't in the 8 for the next few seasons, the franchise is going to start to get doubters, just like the Titans. Suns are not much of a noise at the moment....

so one game in hand each, Suns have an unassailable lead in the 2015 crowd stakes over the Titans. In isolation it's been a very backwards year for the Suns on and off the field, but there's some (however small) consolation in knowing that as bad as things have been, they've still done better than their competition.

9,343 at the Port game last night. The rain played its part in the attendance number. The Suns end 2015 with a crowd average of 12,358.

only 707 members attended every game at home this year. yikes.
Gold Coast living up to its reputation of being a fickle market.

The Titans ended up pulling 12,335 against St George today. The 2015 stats:

Highest Attendance: 16,440 (Suns v Magpies)
Lowest Attendance: 6,962 (Titans v Knights)
2015 Same Weekends: 2-2
Current Suns Crowd Average: 12,358 (135,946 in 11 games)
Current Titans Crowd Average: 11,250 (135,008 in 12 games)

Gold Coast living up to its reputation of being a fickle market.

The Titans ended up pulling 12,335 against St George today. The 2015 stats:

Highest Attendance: 16,440 (Suns v Magpies)
Lowest Attendance: 6,962 (Titans v Knights)
2015 Same Weekends: 2-2
Current Suns Crowd Average: 12,358 (135,946 in 11 games)
Current Titans Crowd Average: 11,250 (135,008 in 12 games)

Ill be honest filling half the stadium on average is a fair result considering the season we had , atm we have about 8-10k rusted on supporters , in time and with success that is gonna grow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly, their membership is the highest it's been since their first season. So more people are buying memberships but less people are going to their games.
Similar situation with the Lions, best membership figures since 2010, but easily the worst average home crowd attendances this millennium (Rd 1 v scum aside). Both teams were expected to have a good (or at least somewhat decent) on-field season but turned out to be trainwrecks.

Only thing it proves is people around here are bandwagoners/fickle.

Mate, Agree with what you've said, but the best move the NRL can make is to re-locate the Titans, re-badge them to Ipswich. GC is a drain on resources, crowds are down, and Gold coast has been a graveyard for sports teams for decades. As you have said, a team to Ipswich would be successful....and HUGE!!

Regardless of what the Titans do.... if the GC Suns aren't in the 8 for the next few seasons, the franchise is going to start to get doubters, just like the Titans. Suns are not much of a noise at the moment....
Titans are struggling because they are poorly run, not because they are based in the Gold Coast. Their crowds in their first few seasons when they weren't so poorly run is a testament to that.

Ipswich getting an NRL team is a no-brainer, however it should be a new team from scratch or a promoted Ipswich Jets rather than a relocated corpse. Think most Ipswich locals would stick with their current teams if the Titans were relocated there, it would be a ridiculous idea.

Similar situation with the Lions, best membership figures since 2010, but easily the worst average home crowd attendances this millennium (Rd 1 v scum aside). Both teams were expected to have a good (or at least somewhat decent) on-field season but turned out to be trainwrecks.

Only thing it proves is people around here are bandwagoners/fickle.
turns out we're not alone.

gallery

^ found this on reddit. home crowds in comparison with membership figures for the last 30-odd years. with the exception of a few clubs like both adelaide clubs and richmond, the general trend across the league over the past 5 or so years has been an increase in membership numbers yet a declining average attendance. no doubt the afl would have noticed this too, interesting to see how they respond to get people to go to games.

only 707 members attended every game at home this year. yikes.
I was one of the 707! And I got my free pie at the game too for a thankyou! mmm free pie.....
I also went and saw them at the G play Richmond.

yes, with time the rusted on 8-10k will grow to 10-12, then 12-14 etc.
if they can all keep out of the (bad) news, string some wins together, continue to get mostly good timeslots for our membership base (a lot of juniors so Saturday twilights), it will happen.

Did anyone see the rumour that the titans are going to rebrand and will become the gold coast bears?

Yeah i heard that yesterday , was bemused by it . I'm sure the Brissy Bears have some left over jumpers still in storage at Carrara we could give them.

Did anyone see the bully today? The back page confirms the titans name change was put forward to the nrl head of strategy when they discussed the games future. Im starting to think this may be on the cards because its the central coast bears that are trying to get the name change to happen and basically buy the club. The titans played two games in central coast this year which is more than any other club in the nrl. It doesnt really matter what they say publicly because the nrl could sell the club tomorrow and they relocate.

Brisbane to host NRL grand finals, in line for expansion team says ARL Commission chairman John Grant

Looks like the NRL have finally come to their senses and recognised the need for a second Brisbane franchise. He says the Queensland marketplace "is not being taken advantage of" by rugby league, which is absolutely true. He also says they have provisions in place for a 17th team in Brisbane when the new broadcast agreement begins in 2018. When asked which expansion bid was at the front of the queue he responded "I think southeast Queensland."

So there you go, it would appear the NRL intends to keep the Titans and start a 17th franchise in west Brisbane. Bad news for the Lions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back