Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane to host NRL grand finals, in line for expansion team says ARL Commission chairman John Grant

Looks like the NRL have finally come to their senses and recognised the need for a second Brisbane franchise. He says the Queensland marketplace "is not being taken advantage of" by rugby league, which is absolutely true. He also says they have provisions in place for a 17th team in Brisbane when the new broadcast agreement begins in 2018. When asked which expansion bid was at the front of the queue he responded "I think southeast Queensland."

So there you go, it would appear the NRL intends to keep the Titans and start a 17th franchise in west Brisbane. Bad news for the Lions.
Has John Grant got any credibility? I'm only asking because I've read statements like this before that don't end up leading anywhere

EDit: I'm assuming he does if his part of the ARL Commission

Last edited:
Has John Grant got any credibility? I'm only asking because I've read statements like this before that don't end up leading anywhere

EDit: I'm assuming he does if his part of the ARL Commission
I couldn't tell you. I just read that he is the chairman of the ARL Commission so I figured his opinion must be respected and reflective of the game's needs/wants. It'd be a bit silly to have the chairman of your governing body with no credibility. That's like FIFA silly, if it was the case.

Well the NRL draw has been released, and they've certainly done the Titans no favours. No home game against the Rabbitohs, MNF games against the Roosters and Manly, and only 2 games on FTA to help grow interest. The Manly game could have been a big draw with the return of former captain Nate Myles, but it falls during Origin period, so he'll likely be missing.

In comparison the Suns got all of their home games on their preferred Saturday, and have every game live on FTA into the Gold Coast.

On the field, assuming you don't have a horror injury run like 2015, the Suns will also be pushing for finals while the Titans struggle to avoid the spoon again.

I'm predicting another comfortable win for the Suns.

Did anyone else see the Titans' best player walked out on them last night after it was revealed someone at the club forged his signature in an attempt to force a pay cut? Amateur hour. I actually feel sorry for my fellow Gold Coasters who follow the team and are forced to put up with it.

Did anyone else see the Titans' best player walked out on them last night after it was revealed someone at the club forged his signature in an attempt to force a pay cut? Amateur hour. I actually feel sorry for my fellow Gold Coasters who follow the team and are forced to put up with it.
Afterwards he actually said he was happy to resign with them. That was last week, now they have put to him a revise 2 year contract that isn't as good so he has walked out on them.

Afterwards he actually said he was happy to resign with them. That was last week, now they have put to him a revise 2 year contract that isn't as good so he has walked out on them.
actually, it was the same deal but with a car thrown in. So it wasn't worse, but his market value has gone up heaps since he originally signed.

Last edited:
one clause was initialed by a club official, it wasn't to force a pay cut at all. Titans were stupid, but it wasn't anything duplicitous and was more motivated around getting the contract to the NRL to be registered.

Since the time he originally signed that deal mid-2015, he was the dallym centre of the year and mundine has got involved with him as an 'adviser'. My bet is they are using it to get big money elsewhere and if it wasn't the contract being 'forged', it would have been something else, it's got mundine's fingerprints all over it.

one clause was initialed by a club official, it wasn't to force a pay cut at all. Titans were stupid, but it wasn't anything duplicitous and was more motivated around getting the contract to the NRL to be registered.

Since the time he originally signed that deal mid-2015, he was the dallym centre of the year and mundine has got involved with him as an 'adviser'. My bet is they are using it to get big money elsewhere and if it wasn't the contract being 'forged', it would have been something else, it's got mundine's fingerprints all over it.
My understanding was the alteration in the forged contract was capping the amount he could earn through state of origin appearances. Something like a cap of $50,000 for any amount of origin appearances as opposed to the $50,000 PER origin appearance he originally signed for. Considering he is the best centre in the nrl you would think there is a fair chance he will play more than one origin game in 2016. He could have been cheated out of potentially $100,000 had the Titans been allowed to get away with the forged contract. I'm sorry but that sounds like a forced pay cut to me. Can you really blame the guy for wanting to leave given the situation?

My understanding was the alteration in the forged contract was capping the amount he could earn through state of origin appearances. Something like a cap of $50,000 for any amount of origin appearances as opposed to the $50,000 PER origin appearance he originally signed for. Considering he is the best centre in the nrl you would think there is a fair chance he will play more than one origin game in 2016. He could have been cheated out of potentially $100,000 had the Titans been allowed to get away with the forged contract. I'm sorry but that sounds like a forced pay cut to me. Can you really blame the guy for wanting to leave given the situation?
I hadn't read that, you're right, apologies. Originally capped at two appearances and was amended to one, so probably 50k, very silly considering he's far from a certainty for NSW. I personally don't rate Annesley, he has friends in the media and is a nice guy but he can't even keep the players he's got let alone sign marquees like DCE. He just strikes me as incredibly naive and slow to move on the market for players when other clubs are ruthless. Having said that he hasn't had clear air to do a whole lot, but the Roberts mess and DCE were over the line and he blew it.

With the bungle of DCE and Roberts , added to Sezer being squeezed out to salary cap and the loss of captain Myles , it really is an embarrassment to Gold Coast sport . I know the Titans have just had a huge overhaul behind the scenes but they really need to sign some name players in the next month to get that feel good factor back for the coming season.

Up the road at the Titans this off season , they have really lost most of there good players , and the news got worse yesterday with there playmaker Elgey going down with a ACL , there has got to be some sort of curse with Coast teams.

Up the road at the Titans this off season , they have really lost most of there good players , and the news got worse yesterday with there playmaker Elgey going down with a ACL , there has got to be some sort of curse with Coast teams.

If we get some good early wins and the Titans struggle I can see us stealing some of there fans giving our crowd numbers a boost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/gold-coast-sports-curse.1073659/

There is! The curse is alive and well on the coast.

Things are starting to turn real ugly for the titans and this is with the nrl in charge. It's reminiscent of the old seagulls days if anyone remembers back that far.

Reading that made me feel sad. I know very little of rubgy league, and subsequently very little of the Titans. But I imagine the club's financial situation must be dire, because the desperation in her voice leaks through even a webpage without audio.

It's an interesting take. This is the quote:

“You’ll have your first team but just make room for (the Titans) because we need them.

“We’re not asking you to drop your first team but just make room for them and support them. "

Refers to "your first team", who is that? The Suns?

they want local gold coast folks to back the Gold Coast Titans regardless of who their first team is or what code. In much the same way that there are folks in Adelaide who follow Adelaide United as well as the Crows/Port/Strikers.

It's noteworthy in the sense that clubs like Geelong or Freo wouldn't be imploring their local populations in a similar manner given their local areas are strongholds of the code the respective clubs play.

That the Titans would implore their local population in that manner is indicative that the Gold Coast is not a stronghold for Rugby League to that same extent.

It's noteworthy in the sense that clubs like Geelong or Freo wouldn't be imploring their local populations in a similar manner given their local areas are strongholds of the code the respective clubs play.

That the Titans would implore their local population in that manner is indicative that the Gold Coast is not a stronghold for Rugby League to that same extent.

Its not unsual for local teams to request the support of locals. The Titans are in a rugby league stronghold, its just perhaps not one that favours the Titans as much as it could.

Its not unsual for local teams to request the support of locals. The Titans are in a rugby league stronghold, its just perhaps not one that favours the Titans as much as it could.

Indeed, I agree, it is very normal to seek support from locals.

But that quote above is no run-of-the-mill come see us type of request.

It's an interesting take. This is the quote:

“You’ll have your first team but just make room for (the Titans) because we need them.

“We’re not asking you to drop your first team but just make room for them and support them. "

Refers to "your first team", who is that? The Suns?

I don't think she's referring to the Suns. I don't think we're big enough to make much of a dent in the Titan's fanbase, at least right now. I think she's referring to locals that support teams like Parramatta or South Sydney.

When Cochrane takes over from Witheriff there is going to be a new dimension i think with our relationship with the Titans as Cochrane and Titans head Frizzelle are very good freinds in private life.

I'm going to post a few things and you guys tell me what you think.

Struggling NRL clubs given two years to get into the black - Feb 10 2016 Daily Telegraph
STRUGGLING NRL clubs have been given two years to get into the black — or risk being stripped of their licences.

NRL rules out introducing second Brisbane team until at least 2020 - Feb 19 2016 Courier Mail
THE NRL has gone cold on short-term expansion in Queensland in a move that will see the Broncos enjoy a rugby-league monopoly in Brisbane until at least 2020.
As Brisbane prepare for their World Club Series clash against Wigan on Sunday morning, The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos will remain the NRL’s sole presence in southeast Queensland.

Bears set for shock NRL return via Titans - Feb 24 2016 Rugby League Week
RLW has learned that there are moves for the Bears to buy out the struggling Titans franchise – and rename the team the Gold Coast Bears.

The team will continue to play out of the Gold Coast, but may also take several games a season to the Bears’ home base on the NSW Central Coast.

The Titans went into voluntary administration last year and the club is currently being administered by the NRL.

The NRL would love for someone to take over the running of the team, and the Bears – who last played in the big league in 1999 – are keen to take up the challenge.

Officials are remaining tight-lipped about the takeover but top secret moves are underway behind the scenes.

The Titans will remain as they are for this season, but could well be known as the Gold Coast Bears by next season.

The Bears already have a presence on the Gold Coast, with the massive Seagulls Leagues Club in Tweed Heads owned by North Sydney Leagues Club, whose finances keep the Bears alive.

North Sydney still have a team in the NSW Cup and teams at junior level, but died as a top grade club after an ill-fated venture with Manly – known as the Northern Eagles – collapsed in 2002.

The NRL is keen to see top class league on the NSW Central Coast – a massive growth area – and the return of the Bears would be the first step towards this.

North Sydney Bears rumours linger as Gold Coast Titans launch NRL season at Sea World - Feb 24 2016 Gold Coast Bulletin
THE Gold Coast Titans’ unique season launch this morning was somewhat overshadowed by whispers of a potential takeover by the North Sydney Bears.
However, Titans boss Annesley said if there is truth to the rumour, it would be positive for the Gold Coast to have people interested in the club.

NRL issues statement on Titans ownership - Feb 24 2016 Rugby League Week
THE NRL have issued a statement saying they are not a long term holder of the Gold Coast Titans licence.
The NRL has had very preliminary talks with several parties which have expressed interest in the Titans but those talks are still in the very early stages,” the spokesman said.

“No decision has been made or is currently being considered about the future ownership of the club.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back