Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

i don't think it'd be offensive if someone genuinely has an interest in it, but if it were in a comp form, people would inevitably just going "yay dots, i'm winning" and that's something that just wouldn't be on.

I think a workshop would be better for indigenous guernseys. It's very unlikely anybody will get offended, but it's still best to be safe. Also, the symbolism in indigenous art could have some people making meaningless, offensive or weird designs. Like when people get a tattoo of an Asian character thinking it means hope, when in fact it means something like cereal. I just think a workshop would be a better way to learn the culture and symbolism and give feedback on where something should be fixed to make sure it all works out well.

If done in the right spirit it might not be the end of the world, but it's not something i'd feel comfortably participating in.
If you don't feel comfortable with it then don't participate, that's up to you to decide if you want to enter I guess

i don't think it'd be offensive if someone genuinely has an interest in it, but if it were in a comp form, people would inevitably just going "yay dots, i'm winning" and that's something that just wouldn't be on.
Then that's on them for being ignorant

I think a workshop would be better for indigenous guernseys. It's very unlikely anybody will get offended, but it's still best to be safe. Also, the symbolism in indigenous art could have some people making meaningless, offensive or weird designs. Like when people get a tattoo of an Asian character thinking it means hope, when in fact it means something like cereal. I just think a workshop would be a better way to learn the culture and symbolism and give feedback on where something should be fixed to make sure it all works out well.
Great points, would be better if there were any indigenous people on here that would be willing to share something

I don't know about a portfolio. I have no indigenous heritage whatsoever, let me make that clear in case I haven't been. However, as an exercise in creativity, it would be an opportunity for lots of us to try to gain an understanding and learn about the culture. Something that not many people do apparently, although I distinctly remember learning about indigenous art in either year 4 or 5 and being asked to make a design as a project.
Hi, hello. I have a cool relationship with Aborginal Australians. You see, I have ancestry from Arabana country, but I didn't know this until recently. I'm not Indigenous and I don't identify as such, but it does hold a special place in my heart and blood. In a quest to learn more about myself, I spent a month at Tandanya (an Aboriginal cultural institute) when an art exhibition was taking place.

I think the issue of replicating Indigenous artwork is with the appropriation of it. Yes, it can be aesthetically pleasing, and, yes, it can be fun to do - a good exercise in creativity, but we have to remember that it can also be offensive and it can be harmful. In essence, it dilutes the importance of authentic Indigenous art. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying Indigenous artwork is more than just the aesthetic design side of it. It's about story. It's about culture. It's about history.

You can make fake Indigenous artwork if you like, but what I see is, basically, a bogan with a tribal tattoo. They don't necessarily mean any harm by it, but others may take offense. That's where I stand.

That said, I like the idea of "gaining an understanding and learning about the culture". I think that, rather than creating our own designs, it would be fun to research, learn about and critique already existing pieces of Indigenous artwork - such as the ones the 18 AFL clubs will be wearing - from an Indigenous perspective. That would be cool.

Also, I don't want to overdo the competitions, but I think there used to be one where you had to make a guernsey for existing teams as if they were just entering the league (like GWS and GC). It'd be cool to see a competition like that again. AFL: Rebooted being rebooted would be cool too, but I think I've said that enough times before.

Hi, hello. I have a cool relationship with Aborginal Australians. You see, I have ancestry from Arabana country, but I didn't know this until recently. I'm not Indigenous and I don't identify as such, but it does hold a special place in my heart and blood. In a quest to learn more about myself, I spent a month at Tandanya (an Aboriginal cultural institute) when an art exhibition was taking place.

I think the issue arises of replicating Indigenous artwork is with the appropriation of it. Yes, it can be aesthetically pleasing, and, yes, it can be fun to do - a good exercise in creativity, we have to remember it can also be offensive and it can be harmful. In essence, it dilutes the importance of authentic Indigenous art. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying Indigenous artwork is more than just the aesthetic design side of it. It's about story. It's about culture. It's about history.
Using existing clubs or existing locations would also provide an opportunity to undertake some research about the pre-Colonial history (i.e. before European arrival) of each of the areas. This would only benefit and re-solidify the history of the traditional custodians of the land.

You can make fake Indigenous artwork if you like, but what I see is, basically, a bogan with a tribal tattoo. They don't necessarily mean any harm by it, but others may take offense. That's where I stand.

That said, I like the idea of "gaining an understanding and learning about the culture". I think that, rather than creating our own designs, it would be fun to research, learn about and critique already existing pieces of Indigenous artwork - such as the ones the 18 AFL clubs will be wearing - from an Indigenous perspective. That would be cool.
I think it's more offensive that you'd exclude someone from any activity because of their race. Racism and discrimination works both ways.

It's just shaky ground. The art of Indigenous culture is taken pretty seriously by them and it's all intertwined with their history and traditions. Note that none of the AFL sides have white people designing their Indigenous guernseys.
I'd also put that down to not wanting "white" people to profit off of the indigenous culture any more than they have, which I completely understand. However, I fail to see how simply working on designs using the brief of "indigenous art" is offensive, especially with no potential for profiting off of it.

Using existing clubs or existing locations would also provide an opportunity to undertake some research about the pre-Colonial history (i.e. before European arrival) of each of the areas. This would only benefit and re-solidify the history of the traditional custodians of the land.
Great idea.

I think it's more offensive that you'd exclude someone from any activity because of their race. Racism and discrimination works both ways.
I understand what you're saying and I agree, in general, but, as with all things, we have to consider context.

My view is that it's about asserting an identity (i.e. Indigenous culture, from any Aboriginal country) that has been suppressed for hundreds of years.

A similar situation exists in America. African-Americans are free to say the n-word, anyone else is not. They have turned a derogatory word upside-down and claimed it as their own. That's really neat and something we have to respect.

That said, we don't have to agree. But if we can at least acknowledge each other's view points and discuss it, like we are now, then that's fantastic.

Last edited:
Great idea.

I understand what you're saying and I agree, in general, but, as with all things, we have to consider context.

My view is that it's about asserting an identity (i.e. Indigenous culture, from any Aboriginal country) that has been suppressed for hundreds of years.

A similar situation exists in America. African-Americans are free to say n****r, anyone else is not. They have turned a derogatory word upside-down and claimed it as their own. That's really neat and something we have to respect.

That said, we don't have to agree. But if we can at least acknowledge each other's view points and discuss it, like we are now, then that's fantastic.
It is fantastic, and that's the only reason I'm persisting with the discussion. I don't agree with the idea of art being "off-limits", especially since, at least for me, my heritage has already been pillaged and bastardised for hundreds of years. I take that as a compliment to the rich history of Arab culture of all kinds, that it would be so influential.

I understand how sacred culture is to the indigenous people of Australia, it's one of the only strong things they have that they can call theirs seeing as they have essentially had everything else ripped away away from them. I understand that it's very much a touchy subject, but to completely ignore it and not even discuss it would only serve to ignore the wrongdoings of the past and preclude reconciliation in the future.

I would like to think that most people would take such an opportunity to learn about indigenous culture and really gain an appreciation and respect for it, but I don't have my head in the sand and also will acknowledge the possibility/probability of poorly thought out, cheap "dot painting" facsimiles of indigenous art. That'd be more a reflection on the individual person and shouldn't paint us all with the same brush, but I do understand your concerns

It is fantastic, and that's the only reason I'm persisting with the discussion. I don't agree with the idea of art being "off-limits", especially since, at least for me, my heritage has already been pillaged and bastardised for hundreds of years. I take that as a compliment to the rich history of Arab culture of all kinds, that it would be so influential.

I understand how sacred culture is to the indigenous people of Australia, it's one of the only strong things they have that they can call theirs seeing as they have essentially had everything else ripped away away from them. I understand that it's very much a touchy subject, but to completely ignore it and not even discuss it would only serve to ignore the wrongdoings of the past and preclude reconciliation in the future.

I would like to think that most people would take such an opportunity to learn about indigenous culture and really gain an appreciation and respect for it, but I don't have my head in the sand and also will acknowledge the possibility/probability of poorly thought out, cheap "dot painting" facsimiles of indigenous art. That'd be more a reflection on the individual person and shouldn't paint us all with the same brush, but I do understand your concerns
I think we're in agreement here. If people have well-thought out Indigenous art that holds true to Indigenous ethos, then I don't think that we have a problem.

No lazy "here's a dot painting and this river represents life" guernseys and we're good.

So yeah.

Still. I think an exercise in researching artwork would be good before the creation process starts.

2. My second idea is a competition based around people working in groups or pairs to design jumpers. There is a lot of hate on this board and this try to bring people together. Also, all the comps we do are individual, but if people work together, we may be able to get better designs.

2. My second idea is a competition based around people working in groups or pairs to design jumpers. There is a lot of hate on this board and this try to bring people together. Also, all the comps we do are individual, but if people work together, we may be able to get better designs.
We can be partners if you want :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have two ideas:

1. There is not enough respect for Paint designers and templates on this board. So I would like to see a Paint only competition started.
I disagree with your premise, but I'd be happy to see a paint only comp so we can finally put to bed the idea that great things can't be done with paint.

I have two ideas:

1. There is not enough respect for Paint designers and templates on this board. So I would like to see a Paint only competition started.
There is so much respect for Paint. In fact, the best Paint designers are lauded an incredible amount.

Good concept, but flesh it out a bit. How would this work?

I really like this concept, it's unique. I've never seen it suggested before. The only thing I disagree with is about the "hate on this board" (imo there is little to none).

So with the group thing, depending on numbers, I'd have people in groups of about 2-4, with a total of about 10 groups.

Over the space of about ten weeks, there would be 5 different briefs, each starting 2 weeks apart. With each brief going for about two weeks.

The job for the group would be to come up with an identity of a team (Home, Away/Clash, Logo, etc) based on the brief.

The brief will either be a set of colours, a location, a nickname, or something alike. From this information, a club would need to be created.

I would probably use random.org to randomise groups. After each round the groups will change, and I'll try to get everyone to work with as many people as possible. And hopefully no double ups happen.

Group discussion will be set up by me through the BigFooty PMs. This is where you can discuss ideas in private and work together to create your team.

And for abit of competitiveness, I can give out points to winners in each round. And have them accumulated at the end of the ten weeks.

If anything else needs to clarified, please ask. I just thought that this would be a good way to get people to work together.

For idea #1, I have the same mentality as E_S:
I disagree with your premise, but I'd be happy to see a paint only comp so we can finally put to bed the idea that great things can't be done with paint.
I'd still participate, however.

But #2:
Welp, here's what I've had in my sticky notes for the last 5 months.....
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 5.23.58 pm.png
So I'm down with this one.

So with the group thing, depending on numbers, I'd have people in groups of about 2-4, with a total of about 10 groups.

Over the space of about ten weeks, there would be 5 different briefs, each starting 2 weeks apart. With each brief going for about two weeks.

The job for the group would be to come up with an identity of a team (Home, Away/Clash, Logo, etc) based on the brief.

The brief will either be a set of colours, a location, a nickname, or something alike. From this information, a club would need to be created.

I would probably use random.org to randomise groups. After each round the groups will change, and I'll try to get everyone to work with as many people as possible. And hopefully no double ups happen.

Group discussion will be set up by me through the BigFooty PMs. This is where you can discuss ideas in private and work together to create your team.

And for abit of competitiveness, I can give out points to winners in each round. And have them accumulated at the end of the ten weeks.

If anything else needs to clarified, please ask. I just thought that this would be a good way to get people to work together.
This doesn't seem to be getting many likes. What can a change and/or add to get this idea up and running?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back