News Completed Trades 2014 - Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

For **** sake, some people on this board are just never happy. We all want the club to be strong and build the right culture and then when we make calls to allow this to happen we whinge because we should have gotten a better trade deal for him??? The club has made strong statements against both Garlett and Robinson, it is a good thing for our future.

I agree with what you're saying about building the right culture, and the fact that it will be good for our future, but IMO Jeffy is worth more than pick 61. Apart from this year he's been a decent player for us, and kicked over 40 goals in two seasons (and 39 in another).

Either way, not a bad thing that he's gone, just thought we could have done better than getting pick 61 for him.

What do we expect, a player this year who heard footsteps when he played in the seniors, his output was null and void and then when put into the VFL did absolutely nothing... then went for a drink with our most impressionable/ADD player who was already on a suspension and also lied about what went on that night.

Seriously F-him and Roosy is not the messiah we all think he is and can't see Jeffy (Roos speak) remotely having the fortitude to HTFU that Roos will require of him. in fact Jeffy is the perfect fit now for Melbourne and their culture.

I am glad to see Jeff head off to another club and having a chance at a new start. Wonderfully talented footballer who probably hasn't had the privileged background that many of us have enjoyed. I have really enjoyed seeing him go from rookie draft prick (well documented risk at that time) to playing over 100 games for the mighty blues. Many fond memories of Jeff and hoping that life's and footy's path improves for him. Would have liked a better trade but glad that the club has seen fit to make sure he gets to his desired destination. Can't get fairer than that.

Last edited:
I think there were much more to the issues with Jeff then we will ever know.

My only issue is that such issues do not appear overnight. We have to stop trying to solve these players problems and trade them the first sniff of a problem. We were lucky with Crazy Vossy, now we got what we deserved.

This is the definition of "selling low".

Need to be better than this. If he's not a solid citizen trade him after a 40 goal season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO we took unders for Jeffy but if those picks help to net another player so be it.

To early to judge our whole draft period right now but in saying that we are batting below average coming off 1 deal. :(

Not saying I don't wish Jeffy the best and not saying we could have done any better given the circumstances, but it never feels good to be bent over a barrel...no matter the context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying I don't wish Jeffy the best and not saying we could have done any better given the circumstances, but it never feels good to be bent over a barrel...no matter the context.

Balkan no doubt we walked into that negotiation with the draw string track suit pants on to allow the Melbourne team ease of access. Times like that you can only hope they are gentle and perhaps buy you breakfast in the morning!

Really question the public showing of the cards by McKay and Rodgers in the lead up and during the trade period with comments like:
- Garlett will be traded
- Robinson is a goner
- Jacksh is worth about pick 12-13
- we don't think Mitchell will leave and we won't drag him away
- Jones could be a very valuable forward for us

They've obviously never played poker before and teams are therefore bending us over!

Horrible trade for Garlett but what do you expect when they publicly put a line through him anyway. I think pick 61 may be used for getting Tutt though

He's with his son in the MFC interview, did I hear that he and his ex (?) have had custody issues in the past?

Jeffy, as much as i like him and am sorry to see him go has had many issues in the past withholding him back at the Top level.

Hence why we traded him at such a low price. He was never getting a game under MM with the way he rates forwards and the way they need to work when we do not have the ball in hand regarding pressure acts and manning up etc etc. If you hang your head and do not put in you will not be played and Jeffy learnt this the hard way. Even in the 2's he never got much of the ball when MM challenged him to force his way back into the team.

I will be happy to see him work out for you guys and wish him the best but this trade is reflective of the current climate in the AFL. If you guys did not take him there is no doubt IMO he was going to be delisted anyway so something is better than nothing but gee a 3rd rounder would of been nice as Jeffy can play when on, but the best and the worst are worlds apart regarding what sort of game he will deliver for you!!

Jeffy, as much as i like him and am sorry to see him go has had many issues in the past withholding him back at the Top level.

Hence why we traded him at such a low price. He was never getting a game under MM with the way he rates forwards and the way they need to work when we do not have the ball in hand regarding pressure acts and manning up etc etc. If you hang your head and do not put in you will not be played and Jeffy learnt this the hard way. Even in the 2's he never got much of the ball when MM challenged him to force his way back into the team.

I will be happy to see him work out for you guys and wish him the best but this trade is reflective of the current climate in the AFL. If you guys did not take him there is no doubt IMO he was going to be delisted anyway so something is better than nothing but gee a 3rd rounder would of been nice as Jeffy can play when on, but the best and the worst are worlds apart regarding what sort of game he will deliver for you!!
Roos has a very similar philosophy work rate wise to Mick. Maybe he wants to try the honey approach rather than the vinegar, even if Jeff deserved the latter from MM this season.

Really question the public showing of the cards by McKay and Rodgers in the lead up and during the trade period with comments like:
- Garlett will be traded
- Robinson is a goner
- Jacksh is worth about pick 12-13
- we don't think Mitchell will leave and we won't drag him away
- Jones could be a very valuable forward for us

They've obviously never played poker before and teams are therefore bending us over!

Horrible trade for Garlett but what do you expect when they publicly put a line through him anyway. I think pick 61 may be used for getting Tutt though

This shows a lack of understanding.
- Small forwards always have lower value in trade compared with mids and talls.
- Players who have had a poor year have lower value.
- Players who want out have lower value again.
- Players who nominate a particular club reduce trade value for the original club even further.
- Goodwill needs to exist between clubs to give troubled players a fresh start. Health is more important than football.
- Play poker all you want, but we were never in a position to get more for Jeffy than we did.

This shows a lack of understanding.
- Small forwards always have lower value in trade compared with mids and talls.
- Players who have had a poor year have lower value.
- Players who want out have lower value again.
- Players who nominate a particular club reduce trade value for the original club even further.
- Goodwill needs to exist between clubs to give troubled players a fresh start. Health is more important than football.
- Play poker all you want, but we were never in a position to get more for Jeffy than we did.

This isn't just about Garlett, even though I and the vast majority believe we got reamed. But Garlett is the perfect example of my point!

Question is why did we get reamed, and why are we appearing to get reamed in other trade attempts? How the hell does Hawthorn land a pick 2 in O'Rourke for pick 19?

Answer (partly): I think it is because they don't publicly tell the world what they are thinking. Why are we? The impression I get from the club is that Robbo will be delisted - so why would a club even consider a trade with a decent return. I've hardly heard any club be so outspoken about the value of their players and trade targets as we have.

As for small forwards having lower value, pretty sure Christensen will command pick 8 or 15 for Geelong

Here's a thought. Why don't we value Jeffy as a human being, with the same capacity for human error and emotions as the rest of us, instead of a piece of cattle that was undersold on the meat market.

The lad had a traumatic childhood/teenage years and has suffered off-field hardships in the last 18.months.

Is it any surprise he has suffered discipline problems and lack of confidence/form.

I applaud the club actually for showing compassion and human decency by trading him to a club and coach in Paul Roos, who will hopefully get the most out of him.

There is more at stake then bloody draft picks here, we are talking about the happiness and mental wellbeing of a very talented, but also troubled young footballer.

Doing the right thing ethically, instead of holding out for a better deal for Jeffy (at the expense of his own personal wishes) Mick and the club did the right thing 110 %. No doubt in my mind about that.

They are symbolic picks. Two thirds of teams will be out of the draft by then anyway. We probably won't use them all either. He was gone. Probably considered him lazy and unwilling to follow instructions. Mick has just made a big statement.

Yep. The message is "get on board and bleed navy ... Or f¥€£ off".

I don't think it was the horrible outcome some are saying here. We picked up an extra pick - did I not hear that we were in danger of running short of picks?
Late picks are often used to draft rookies, which has been a happy hunting ground for us. (eg Jeffy himself.)

I'm just sorry to see Jeffy go. Only one "amigo" left... :(

I don't think it was the horrible outcome some are saying here. We picked up an extra pick - did I not hear that we were in danger of running short of picks?
Late picks are often used to draft rookies, which has been a happy hunting ground for us. (eg Jeffy himself.)

I'm just sorry to see Jeffy go. Only one "amigo" left... :(
Agree we got some great years out of JG and we got him for nothing, so take the pick upgrade and enjoy the memories.

Hope he sorts himself out and thanks Jeff!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back