Compulsory Voting - Is it time to end this?

Should Australia abolish compulsory voting?

• Yes

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • Donkey Vote

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get people who don't vote. They think they're sticking it to "the system" or whatever, but all they're doing is marginalising themselves from public debate.
You could read the reasons given in this thread.

I think their is enough people avoiding responsibility for so many things in this country already. So many avoid their responsibility for their own health, for their education, to their own families, to help others, to engage in their community, to pay tax, to not dump rubbish, to not pollute etc etc.

We live in this country, we need to teach people to take an interest & to vote. Accepting more lazy cop outs is just not on.

In the end we will all cop the real cost of all this lazy abrogation of responsibility.

Its not individual freedom, that's rubbish, its bloody laziness, plain & simple.

Exactly right, it's not a freedom or choice it's a civic duty.

I can understand being disenchanted with the options available but anyone who doesn't vote or informal votes is an idiot. People fought for these hard won rights and you piss it up against a wall. Other people don't have these rights and would die or kill for them.

If you don't vote because you don't like the choices, take the responsibility and become a choice.

Of course we could instead mobilise to try and change the system of voting - add "none of the above" to the voting cards and if that wins a new election needs to be held with all new candidates ;)

6% informal voted last election. Obv some would be accidental, but it's not hard to see how if half that amount of people voted against the major party a 'safe seat' would be significantly less safe.

Just turn up ten minutes before polling closes. No queues, no people harrassing you with how to vote cards... And if you're in Perth then half the time the result has already been declared.

National business would be happier, the building industry in WA would be happier, but some idiots just won't adjust. Not having daylight savings actually costs the WA economy money.
What difference would it make to the building industry?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It means the maximum temperature is reached earlier in the day, which also means the tools down temperature under OH&S is reached earlier in the day, so more hours are lost.
Fair enough, can't argue with that.

Absolutely.

It's working well in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide and Hobart. Queenslanders are just confused.

I would prefer DLS but it ignores the north and the eastern parts of WA which DLS doesn't work

I guess now we trade more with Asia than the east, we are probably best served staying put

I would prefer DLS but it ignores the north and the eastern parts of WA which DLS doesn't work

I guess now we trade more with Asia than the east, we are probably best served staying put

So with WA having nearly 2.5million people, Perth with 2million is less important than the couple of hundred thousand spread out north of the city?

So with WA having nearly 2.5million people, Perth with 2million is less important than the couple of hundred thousand spread out north of the city?

Don't worry your pretty little head.
People of WA have voted 3 times on this issue and I'm sure we are big enough to sort it out amongst our selves with out the wise men from the east imposing there will upon the non believers way out west.

The eastern Kimberley may as well be on NT time - sun rising before 5am and setting at 5:15pm and it's only October! DLS is needed up there more than Perth imo
Eucla is on SA time but that's a bit easier when its a small community

National business would be happier, the building industry in WA would be happier, but some idiots just won't adjust. Not having daylight savings actually costs the WA economy money.

Exactly the opposite from most tradies I know. They hated DLS because they are used to working on till they lose the light at sunset. it ends up with them starting an hour early and still working all day anyway. Seems that knocking off an hour before sunset is not a viable option, for reasons I could never fully undertstand.

Back