Concerned about the Standard of play

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't mind a rule that - outside of your forward 50 - you won't be paid a mark if you kick the ball backwards. I would also advocate a rule that - outside the forward 50 - you don't have throw-ins (which encourage congestion and introduce stupid concepts such as "deliberate") but, like in soccer, give the ball to the team that didn't put the ball out of play.
You can't be serious? This will just speed the game up further, create confusion (who touched it last) and take tap ruck duels out of the game.

I don't think we can go back, just no further rules. The umps can't handle any more.

Never understand that. People keep saying 'don't change the rules, it messes things up', but fixing the mess by reversing the rules changes is "no no no". Did the changes make things better or worse?

You can't be serious? This will just speed the game up further, create confusion (who touched it last) and take tap ruck duels out of the game.

Why should it be confusing to establish who it came off? Many times when it goes out it goes out because a player kicks/handballs/fumbles it out but tries to make it look like he wasn't trying to put it out. He puts it out solely to create a stoppage because none of his teammates are nearby.

Never understand that. People keep saying 'don't change the rules, it messes things up', but fixing the mess by reversing the rules changes is "no no no". Did the changes make things better or worse?
The game has naturally evolved to a game played by athletes that cover the ground so fast. We can't go back to players playing positions anymore whether we want it or not. Winding back rules will achieve nothing. What we can do is hold fast on knee jerk rule changes to try stop a temporary issue with the game.

I would be keen to see what every player says in a survey rather than what commissioners etc think.

Why should it be confusing to establish who it came off? Many times when it goes out it goes out because a player kicks/handballs/fumbles it out but tries to make it look like he wasn't trying to put it out. He puts it out solely to create a stoppage because none of his teammates are nearby.
Was trialled in the preseason only a year or two back and the amount of times it couldn't be established who touched it last was considerable. Do we really want a player miss kicking a ball in the defensive 50 to have the opposition get out of the way so it rolls over the line and the team gets a shot on goal?

Was trialled in the preseason only a year or two back and the amount of times it couldn't be established who touched it last was considerable. Do we really want a player miss kicking a ball in the defensive 50 to have the opposition get out of the way so it rolls over the line and the team gets a shot on goal?

No. Rule wouldn't apply within the 50-metre arcs.

What's wrong with what they do in soccer? No interchange but three subs.

A professional athlete has to sit there for an entire match to only play 30mins of football? It's a joke.

Spot on.
The answer is to pay free kicks according to the rules of the game e.g.
1) Incorrect disposal (as above). It has been a disgrace to football to change the rules/interpretation to "keep the game moving".
2) Push in the back. e.g. when Cotchin is on the ground with the ball in his hands it is NOT a free licence to lie on top of him and claim a free kick for holding the ball. The player with the ball must still be tackled correctly. Squashing him into the ground is not a correct tackle.
3) When Cotchin has the ball on the ground and is tackled, it is NOT a free licence for Reiwoldt to lie on top of the tackler (to force a "stoppage"). The tackler doesn't have the ball, Cotchin does. This happens all the time because the aim of the game is to create stoppages, a poisonous blight on the game.
I'm not advocating rules changes, I'm advocating for the current rules to be upheld.
I have been saying this for a long time, well before this year. So often people don't want soft frees paid but my theory is that if you implement the rules, you actually won't have to pay that many frees as players quickly get the message that they can't do whatever they like. The enforcing of the 50m rule is a classic example. They were lax on this rule for so long but as soon as they correctly enforced it, players stopped scragging opponents after a mark or free. Implement the rules ( as many have said, especially throwing, in the back, HTB after prior op) and the game will flow more. It frustrates me that so much of what is wrong with the current game need not have happened had the rules simply been implemented.
It also drives me nuts that they brought in rules to SPEED up the game (eg kicking in without waiting for the ump to wave the flags) then brought in rules to SLOW down the play (eg interchange cap). Knuckleheads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does sadden me that probably for the last 5-10 years I can be at a game of footy,and just not be into it at all.
Could easily just get up and walk out,and in fact have. Even at Richmond games.
Even when we are winning.
Some games are just unbelievably boring.
On the other side of the coin in support of modern football (and so I don't come across as a stubborn fool stuck in the past!),I find myself really very much looking forward to watching Port Adelaide games these days.
Obviously great pressure games like all the Geelong v Hawthorn games are great,and a lot of the recent Grand a Finals also.
Loved the Sydney v West Coast GF's.
I'd like to think that the game will evolve back to somewhere between the keepings off and the contested footy but I'm not too hopeful.
The keepings off is mind numbingly boring.
I'm a believer in reduced interchange for sure.

About 10 years ago I was a bit disinterested due to the standard of play for a season or two. It sorted itself out, but this year has certainly been below-par again in a lot of game. Certainly don't want rule changes however to try and manufacture a fix to the issues though. The game will continue to evolve.

I'm in this camp. Just let it evolve.

FWIW, I do like the way the game is currently played, by and large. I don't like the Lyon's game plan, but it's about the only one. I agree the "rugby" elements can make it uglier to watch on TV, but I reckon the game is much better to watch at the ground. I find myself much more interested in what happens off the ball than I was 10 years ago. More happens.

What I do think is a deterioration is the media saturation. * me. Does anyone really need Luke Darcy to state the obvious, ever, let alone twice / three times a weekend on TV, again on some footy talk show during the week and then on the radio? He probably has a print column too. And it's not just him. There are a whole shed's worth of tools that have multiple appearances a week on different media. I wish they'd bring in a cap for media comment.

It also drives me nuts that they brought in rules to SPEED up the game (eg kicking in without waiting for the ump to wave the flags) then brought in rules to SLOW down the play (eg interchange cap). Knuckleheads.

Both these rules were brought in to try and achieve the same result, minimise congestion and tire the players out so they can't just run to every contest. No contradiction with these 2 rules at all

Let it evolve? We are letting it evolve into a defensive bog fest. Part of the reasons why we got rid of the suburban grounds was because in winter they would turn into a big pile of mud and it was just crap footy, now they get to play on awesome grounds and are dishing up a big pile of crap footy because we give our coaches too much leverage.

Time they pulled their heads in and gave us our game back.

Let it evolve? We are letting it evolve into a defensive bog fest. Part of the reasons why we got rid of the suburban grounds was because in winter they would turn into a big pile of mud and it was just crap footy, now they get to play on awesome grounds and are dishing up a big pile of crap footy because we give our coaches too much leverage.

Time they pulled their heads in and gave us our game back.

Some of that footy was great!

I used to defend the game and where it is heading however I just tuned into a 1995 fox footy match between essendon and collingwood which is still going as I type. The resolution is superior to channel 7, the hits are harder, less free kicks, fast flowing footy with big marks. I'm actually shocked and how great our game once was. I was only a kid and wouldn't remember the game when it happened so watching it has opened my eyes.

What does everyone think?

I blame my interests changing more than the game changing.

But I remember just a few years ago excited to see any game, now unless Richmond are playing I honestly don't care at all.

I used to defend the game and where it is heading however I just tuned into a 1995 fox footy match between essendon and collingwood which is still going as I type. The resolution is superior to channel 7, the hits are harder, less free kicks, fast flowing footy with big marks. I'm actually shocked and how great our game once was. I was only a kid and wouldn't remember the game when it happened so watching it has opened my eyes.

I remember 1995 season better than probably any other season of footy. My first year living in Melbourne as an 18 year old and I went to most Tigers games. We played some breathtaking footy that year!

I was watching the same game and that goal Williams kicked on the run outside 50 was just brilliant. It's my point exactly we keep getting told the game is better today than yesterday but look back just 20 years ago and it was bloody good. Lockett, Dunstall & Ablett would kick 12 goals, most teams kicked over 100 points, yes you still had s**t umpire calls but that's no different to today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back