Scandal CONFIRMED - Fox obscures goal referral

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though I'm an Eagles man I wasn't overly perturbed by what happened, the goal review has been farcical since it began. For every incorrect decision that's been correctly overturned using the vision there's been at least twice as mystifying calls that defy logic.

The one that really gets my goat is when the vision is completely inconclusive and the reviewer will intone "Confirmed touched". What they should say in about 90% of referals is "Vision inconclusive, umpires call". It seems that each reviewer has his own way of judging things and then relaying that judgement. Not good enough.

And the cricket isn't perfect either. Last night Australia reviewed a turned down catch appeal. Both Michael Clarke and the commentators thought the ball may have passed the bat, hit the pad, ballooned up and possibly caught a bit of glove before being caught by the short leg. All the endless replays by the 4th umpire stopped after the ball hit the pad, missing the vital section which would have shown either way whether the appeal was successful.

Sadly, in footy's case, a percieved issue was addressed by a half baked solution and despite numerous cockups the AFL are too precious to admit they might have put a system in place that wasn't properly road tested.

along with two other times when the umpires didn't go to the video review when they clearly should have in that game.
That's right, people should remember that the whole game was dodgy, not just that one incident. You put it all into context and it's worse. What was the free-kick count again? What about the frees not given... to West Coast.

I called it live at the time.

As soon as they started showing the blurry vision I said - there it goes, they're making it blurry now so that they can award a goal to Collingwood.

If a finals match was decided from something like that there would be an uproar and investigation. Keep raising hell about this.

call me biased but that goal referral was one of the most blatent acts of cheating caught on video ,I know some of those touched ball decisions are very hard to judge but the Sheppard one clearly showed fingers bending originally and then on further inspection the blurry vision made it impossible to tell ..

Then the goal ump adds to the weirdness , calls a point when its a goal and says I think its a point but check that it did hit the post , knowing that if its inconclusive the original call will stand . The goal was a clear goal on normal viewing and slow mo confirmed it. pheww

It's not a conspiracy, morons.

It's obviously something to do with the way HD/non-HD content was passed along the chain. Doesn't mean it's deliberate.

Everything about that game was crooked and there's nothing to indicate the AFL and their broadcast partner haven't been caught red handed attempting to engineer a win for their number #1 drawcard (who were on the cusp of top 4 at the time). Otherwise why hasn't the AFL, Fox (and the three commentators who all called it touched) addressed the issue?

exactly. why has no one in the mainstream media mentioned this? why? because there was millions of dollars at stake, and the still is. if there are 4 minals in perth and is a freo v wvc gf, media, afl, betting will all lose millions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything about that game was crooked and there's nothing to indicate the AFL and their broadcast partner haven't been caught red handed attempting to engineer a win for their number #1 drawcard (who were on the cusp of top 4 at the time). Otherwise why hasn't the AFL, Fox (and the three commentators who all called it touched) addressed the issue?
This thread has been getting slowly more embarrassing since Cryptor explained on the previous page what most likely happened. Look up Occam's Razor if you don't know it.

As a WCE supporter it was annoying at the time and I too am curious why more was not made of what is clearly a big issue with the score review system, however people need to stop conflating this with their wicked conspiracy theories. It just isn't.

This thread has been getting slowly more embarrassing since Cryptor explained on the previous page what most likely happened. Look up Occam's Razor if you don't know it.

As a WCE supporter it was annoying at the time and I too am curious why more was not made of what is clearly a big issue with the score review system, however people need to stop conflating this with their wicked conspiracy theories. It just isn't.

What Cryptor said was absolute nonsense. Framerate has nothing to do with blurryness.

What Cryptor said was absolute nonsense. Framerate has nothing to do with blurryness.
The issue is not frame rate per se so much as the likelihood that they are using multiple streams which are not lossless. That is the part of his post I was talking to. Give up.

I mean seriously can some of you people understand how silly you look perpetuating this conspiracy theory rubbish?

The issue is not frame rate per se so much as the likelihood that they are using multiple streams which are not lossless. That is the part of his post I was talking to. Give up.

I mean seriously can some of you people understand how silly you look perpetuating this conspiracy theory rubbish?

That's absolute rubbish as well. Digital medium is a lossless technology - unless you are suggesting they are using analogue? lol

That's absolute rubbish as well. Digital medium is a lossless technology - unless you are suggesting they are using analogue? lol
Ok you're right - it's far more likely that it's a conspiracy on behalf of the AFL. o_O

Or, you know, alternatively, you could.

Unless you want to explain to me what the exact setup is between the production center and the reviewer.

It doesn't matter what the setup is. Its the same shot from the same camera with extra blurryness added onto it. That's what it is. You can't change shutter speed retroactively and you can't shoot two streams at different shutter speeds at the same time.

It doesn't matter what the setup is. Its the same shot from the same camera with extra blurryness added onto it. That's what it is. You can't change shutter speed retroactively and you can't shoot two streams at different shutter speeds at the same time.

I haven't been following the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been covered, but here is one possibility:

- Fox use HD
- Channel 7 don't

Maybe the reviewer only has access to the Channel 7 feed?

Have you ever flicked over between Foxtel and Free to Air? There's a massive difference in quality.

People do realise that the live feed that the broadcasters, Umpires etc recieve and the broadcast we recieve are different right?

The signal is transmitted in SD, not recorded in it.

Digital is not lossless. Free to air broadcast over digital infrastructure? Don't need to be a audio/videophile to figure that one out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back