Rhys Stanley + pick 59 (Jordan Cunico) to Geelong for pick 21 (Hugh Goddard)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not unhappy or happy with the Stanley trade. It totally depends on who slides to 21. If we can get another Acres or Dunstan then it will be a win, but my hesitation is that I'm not sure what the chances of that happening are. If Carlton take McKenzie with 19 then we might stand a chance of getting someone good at 21.

I do like having back-to-back picks. They are always fun.

I look forward to following Stanley's development. The only way this trade is a big failure is if Stanley explodes into an amazing player from 2018-2020 and the kid we pick up is a dud. On the up side - if he fails we get to bathe in the tears of Cats fans!

I know some of the Kennett family and they said to me when we got Pelchen we had better get used to a lack of sentimentality from Pelchen. He is bloody minded and will get on a path and go for it. It's something we have to suck up and get on with like the progress of leaving our suburban homegrounds was and player movement is only going to get more common. I don't particularly like it but hey I'm not a expert and they are paid to make hard decisions. It's a gamble when you do any trade. We won big time on Mac but it's realistically not going to be obvious in this one for a few more years.

You're very keen joff, quoting a post that I deleted within 10 seconds…

At any rate, you appear to be struggling to grasp the ruck/forward role. If you are talking about Hawthorn, you may recall that when McEvoy came in - Ceglar went out. Hale is a dangerous forward & they are fortunate that Roughhead can also go into the ruck if necessary.

The rest of your post is pretty unrelated to having a dangerous forward who can go into the ruck and compete at a competent level.

yes I understand what you are saying. What I am proposing is changing our options to actually scoring. We were terrible from the mids this year, the small forward was non existent (Saad gone, Milera no chosen, Schneids injured, Milne retired), we over relied on Roo (because in my opinion our other forwards are lazy - including Stanley) and we just didn't score.

My thoughts are we need to give Roo a chop out (Lee, and White to step up) Membrey to play the small forward, Hickey the ruck/forward (has shown he can take a mark and kick goals) and most importantly our mids need to get their hands on it and a) service our forwards b) kick goals themselves.

So we change up the structure without Stanley, use lee, White, and Membrey more, use our rucks resting forward, and have our mids who are stronger and one year more experienced to step up in the scoring dept.

We may well miss Stanley next year, and even the following, but we also have Holmes and Pierce developing in the two, and will look to FA for forwards.

As for replying to a deleted post - sorry.

Barrett on now to bag the s**t out of the Saints.

Suddenly Stanley will become a world beater and the Saints are fools for trading him.

As I thought, Cats are really smart according to Barrett.

Plough saying Cats have lost.

Barrett nothing on the Saints - we must have won the trade comprehensively

Watching that video makes me feel sick, knowing what's about to happen :(
Argh, how did we lose that game? Dominated the first half, still could have put them away in the third. I was completely hammered by the fourth and don't remember much until the sickening feeling at the end of the game. Was lining up to go into the Corner hotel after the game when some drunk mole who barracked for the Cats walked past a line full of Saints supporters and screamed "Are you going cry, eat sh*t Saints" or something to the effect. An older gentlemen behind me (would have been 65 or so), calmly stepped out of the line to grab her by the wrist and mutter the words "You young lady are a complete wh*re". I could tell by his sons reaction that it was completely out of character. I have to say, it was a bright spot in an otherwise shocking day.

As I thought, Cats are really smart according to Barrett.

Plough saying Cats have lost.

Barrett nothing on the Saints - we must have won the trade comprehensively
Errm... Not quite Joff...

Someone's excited...

What a flog that bloke is :rolleyes::p.

In all seriousness a fantastic trade, even if Rhys goes on to realise his potential at the Cats. This draft is such that there's a chance a guy I rate in the too 5 is a chance to be available at 21. A small chance, but a chance nonetheless.

In all seriousness a fantastic trade, even if Rhys goes on to realise his potential at the Cats. This draft is such that there's a chance a guy I rate in the too 5 is a chance to be available at 21. A small chance, but a chance nonetheless.
Reece? :p

Hope I'm wrong, but this could be the worst trade of all time! The kid only turns 24 in December, just hitting his prime. Has proven, albeit only once so far, that he can take a game apart. 200cm, runs like the wind.....and who do we get in return at pick 21? An unknown quantity. Really not liking this, REALLY hoping I'm incorrect in thinking that he'll 'come on' in a big way in 2015 and the Cats get 5-6 solid years from him. See you Rhys, all the best for the future.

De Goey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plough critisising Stanley and think it is a poor trade by the Cats
I've always said he is the perfect player to fit the tag of "looks like tarzan, plays like Jane"... was never a fan of Rhys

Pick 21 is a steal

Now to turn picks 21 & 22 into absolute jets! Based on Knightmare's PD, gimme 2 of Paul Ahern, Jordan DeGoey, Tom Lamb & Ed Vickers-Willis sliding to these picks

I expect you to have your phantom draft done by Friday. :p

Gotta be De Goey
Of course! I wasn't the first man on his bandwagon and may not be his biggest fan on this board, but I think De Goey is what every team wants, a skilled, hard, forward who wins the ball in midfield, has pace and a great mark.
I expect you to have your phantom draft done by Friday. :p
(Sorry for high-jacking this thread into draft talk, mods) Going through my player profiles now, need to tick off most of the top 30 profiles (at least!) before I can start that!

At the end of the day we've reached our goal without trading a future leader, or a top 10 player at St Kilda. Like McEvoy brought Hickey and Longer opportunity, I expect that this trade will show us what Spencer White, Tom Lee, Tim Membrey and Billy Longer (up forward) are made of.

This trade reminds me a lot of Collingwood trading Dawes, except they were good and we are not.

"Pick 20 for Dawes he's a spud what a steal now lets bring in Q-Stick too easy."

Don't like it. Have faith we'll pick up a good kid, but don't like it at all.

Always sad to see players leave the Saints but that is the way of modern footy and three picks within 25 without having to give up Armitage or Steven is a great outcome.

Good luck Rhys, I hope you do a McEvoy and win a flag but perhaps you could feel a little bit of tightness in your hammy in the week before Saints games and rest it as a precaution. :)

Godwins Law. What was the argument again Mein Furher? ;)
Also followed by Lewis' law: When you bring up St Kilda's 26 (now 27 :( ) spoons and only one premiership, you've already conceded your argument."

(hats off to The Punter for that one)

Get the feeling we might be moving away from the '3 talls' plan that Richo seemed to start with.

Could see Roo as the only dedicated tall forward with White, Membrey, Billings, Murdoch, Bruce, Lee, Hickey/Longer, Saad, Petracca/McCartin/Wright all pushing through in a 'horses for courses' set up.

Essentially how the Hawks set up - Roughead at FF with every other spot always in rotation.

No 'best forward 6' just Roo and a collection of flexible options that change based on fitness and form.

Could be super exciting!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back