conflicts of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

hotham

NMFC 1869
North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jan 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eels
Serious question. Are umpires required to declare any conflicts of interest . Apparently Dean Margetts may have a sister employed by the WCE and other relatives are members of the club.

Serious question. Are umpires required to declare any conflicts of interest . Apparently Dean Margetts may have a sister employed by the WCE and other relatives are members of the club.

He was also either best man or a groomsman at Dean Cox's wedding.

I'm aware of other umpires having links to clubs that they later umpire. In most other industries such conflicts of interest would give rise to criminal charges but the AFL? hahaha yeah right!

most umpires are forced to live in Victoria - and the bias is to select VFL umpires who all support Vic clubs - it is a closed shop and the EBA will not allow change of any significance.

The past two AFL Directors of umpiring are Richmond hacks who could not hold down another job in Vic.

As an eagle supporter I would be more than delighted if Margetts was not allowed to umpire eagles games.

Umpires should have to declare the team they support when they sign up for the job.

They should then NEVER be allowed to umpire a game involving this team.

I don't want to hear anything about them being able to suspend their prejudice/being impartial- as that si complete BS.

I don't care how graet a perosn you are and how professional- if you are umpiring a game which your team is playing- natural instinct/bias will ensure you go too hard one way or the other- some umpires likely are harsher on the tema they support for fear of being seen to favour them

He was also either best man or a groomsman at Dean Cox's wedding.

Nothing but unsubstantiated rumour, but hey whatever helps you guys sleep at night.

Nothing but unsubstantiated rumour, but hey whatever helps you guys sleep at night.

Margetts isn't going to get a chance to ruin the GF. Thank goodness sanity has prevailed. I'd be very surprised if he ever umpires another WCE game again.

Margetts isn't going to get a chance to ruin the GF. Thank goodness sanity has prevailed. I'd be very surprised if he ever umpires another WCE game again.

Well until next season when he most likely gets rostered on to one of our games again :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back