Congratulations Brian Lake, Norm Smith Medallist 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have any details of the two contract offers Butane? I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to this kind of thing and would be very interested to hear some cold, hard numbers.

That said I would have expected him to get a payrise (although it's deplorable to lie about it).

Essentially he got offered a 2 year contract at roughly 100K less per year then what he was going to get at the dogs for the 1 year - a contract that he signed(remember how big it was at the time!) back when he was in his prime. He NEVER would have been offered that much again at the dogs at his age. Had he have got injured his career might even have ended this year so the Hawks 2 year contact guaranteed him hundreds of thousands more. BUT even if he was 100% fit - which he is now he still would not have got a contact in 2014 the size of the Hawks contract he will get in 2014. Thus he made more money and insured himself....also got a flag.

Smart dealing by the agent.

Essentially he got offered a 2 year contract at roughly 100K less per year then what he was going to get at the dogs for the 1 year - a contract that he signed(remember how big it was at the time!) back when he was in his prime. He NEVER would have been offered that much again at the dogs at his age. Had he have got injured his career might even have ended this year so the Hawks 2 year contact guaranteed him hundreds of thousands more. BUT even if he was 100% fit - which he is now he still would not have got a contact in 2014 the size of the Hawks contract he will get in 2014. Thus he made more money and insured himself....also got a flag.

Smart dealing by the agent.

Thanks for the info Butane. I suppose technically that is a pay cut, although it sounds like he stands to end up with a larger pay packet. I suppose the question for me is what would I do presented the same opportunities? Would you reject a new, higher paying job that you wanted out of loyalty to your old employer? He'd have to be one hell of a good bloke. I still don't have any hard feelings tbh, sometimes in this world you need to look out for number 1. Nobody else is looking out for you. It seems like he's got a good result for himself, whilst also doing the right thing by both the Dogs and the Hawks. Maybe it's not the result we as fans would have liked, but he definitely hasn't sent us out of the frying pan into the fire. Quite the opposite in fact given the development of Roughead, Talia, Hrovat and I dare say Austin. Plus the return of Morris.

Thanks for the info Butane. I suppose technically that is a pay cut, although it sounds like he stands to end up with a larger pay packet. I suppose the question for me is what would I do presented the same opportunities? Would you reject a new, higher paying job that you wanted out of loyalty to your old employer? He'd have to be one hell of a good bloke. I still don't have any hard feelings tbh, sometimes in this world you need to look out for number 1. Nobody else is looking out for you. It seems like he's got a good result for himself, whilst also doing the right thing by both the Dogs and the Hawks. Maybe it's not the result we as fans would have liked, but he definitely hasn't sent us out of the frying pan into the fire. Quite the opposite in fact given the development of Roughead, Talia, Hrovat and I dare say Austin. Plus the return of Morris.

Lake made the right call. Don't blame him at all personally but the media likes to make out he left just win a flag. Nobody does that and it drives me nuts!!

Lake made the right call. Don't blame him at all personally but the media likes to make out he left just win a flag. Nobody does that and it drives me nuts!!

I suppose the notion of Lake leaving to win a flag is a bit naive, there are no certainties in this game. I think the notion that Lake left partially for the prospect of having a big role to play in september are justified though. This wasn't going to happen with the Bulldogs in the next two years. That said, I'm sure the prospect of a solid crack at going deep into september was a factor. The message the media is sending about Lake moving on for a chance at the ultimate glory is sound in my opinion, but as I said there are no certainties and you're only ever a chance to win it all. Reminds me of the time I was a ~97% favorite to win a $1,200 hand on poker at crown and my opponent pulled a full house on the river. Anything can happen, but he won his flag and the media who are looking for a story are sure to capitalise on that.

In my opinion, he left for a chance and luckily enough for him the opportunity he created for himself created came to fruition. He left for the chance to prove it in the bigtime, and he proved himself well enough to end up with a premiership medallion and a norm smith medal.

He made less money PA as I understand it making his press conference valid, and he stood up (as he always has) when the heat was on.

Respect to you Brian Lake

He made less money PA as I understand it making his press conference valid, and he stood up (as he always has) when the heat was on.

Respect to you Brian Lake

Technically he'd be on 0$ dollars in 2014 had he stayed at the Dogs as he'd be out of contact. Considering he probably would have had a so-so year for us, a battling team it's unlikely he would have got anywhere near what he'll be on in 2014. Great vision from his agent and now because of his grand final heroics he'll finally get the football respect he deserved at us.

Geez this conversation is pathetic. Lake left one club and played for another. It isn't 1950. People change clubs and clubs change people. This reminds me of all the wasted lines of press when Ross Lyon left St Kilda. Nobody owes any club anything and no club owes anybody anything. If you play poorly, you get dropped or traded. If the team loses too often, your coaching job is gone. If you are injury prone, you won't be re-signed. If the chance comes to join another club for more money, more games, a different role or more success, people can take it.
It is 2013, wake up to the professional reality of a multimillion dollar business.

Good lord, get some perspective. It sounds like your Dad ran off with your girlfriend and spat in you face. Read the paper, people drowned at sea only a few days ago.
Agony? Devastated? Lakey owes it to us? If I read this again, I''ll spew up
troll-the-forum-kid-make-yourself-famous.jpg

Good lord, get some perspective. It sounds like your Dad ran off with your girlfriend and spat in you face. Read the paper, people drowned at sea only a few days ago.

This is like seeing a UFO - I didn't know GWS supporters actually existed (or is this C Ward posting?)

From a GWS "supporter" a club whipped up in the AFL's laboratory. How would you know the depth of emotion and love we feel for our traditional clubs. Your club is built on talented kids that the AFL provided way to big a jump start, mercenaries and has beens, no wonder you don't understand loyalty. If you haven't won a flag for 59 years come and talk to me then (I'm sure the AFL won't allow that to happen though). But more than likely your club won't be around that long anyway.

Asylum seekers drowning is a long bow, yeah.

Just noticed your "I don't barrack for anyone". You have no rights here, so goodbye.

Geez this conversation is pathetic. Lake left one club and played for another. It isn't 1950. People change clubs and clubs change people. This reminds me of all the wasted lines of press when Ross Lyon left St Kilda. Nobody owes any club anything and no club owes anybody anything. If you play poorly, you get dropped or traded. If the team loses too often, your coaching job is gone. If you are injury prone, you won't be re-signed. If the chance comes to join another club for more money, more games, a different role or more success, people can take it.
It is 2013, wake up to the professional reality of a multimillion dollar business.

That's been discussed in this thread and acknowledged by everyone.

Your post comes off as pretty pathetic to be honest. Just seems unnecessarily aggressive.

So, let's ignore any semblance of emotion, passion or nuance of debate and just treat football following as a purely economic commodity. Perhaps as a GWS supporter you haven't lived with a history of these characteristics and therefore don't understand them. Stick to your manufactured, soulless team and leave us to our own discussions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh look, another GWS pod hatched. Strange little critters that pop out. Ok little one, i understand that at your grand old age of almost 5 minutes you have the awareness of a testicle, if not as graceful, but when you come onto the board of a club that has existed for over a hundred years. Yes i am sure you thought it was funny to post 1950 because that was the time of the dinosaurs, but here is the funny part, we are actually a lot older then that, you would be closer to change the 9 to an 8, HA can you imagine! So clearly history, heritage and loyalty are not topics you understand let alone can comment on.

Now shoo little GWSroach.

Meh. I don't see that any of these posts have held a candle to anything. I stand by my claims. For those complaining about how I don't understand loyalty and blah blah, I ahve followed the AFL for many years and know that you don't understand the reality of the AFL in 2013. Crying about interstate clubs isn't going to help you. Do you think Mike Fitzpatrick reads this forum and thinks, "oh yeah, we made a mistake. Let's go back to 12 Melbourne clubs playing on a Saturday afternoon"?
I am out of this thread but I leave you with a challenge. Explain to yourself why Brian Lake once playing for the Bulldogs is any cause for Bulldogs fans to be sad, disappointed, angry, solemn or anything just because he played for the Hawks in the grand final. He left the Bulldogs and the Bulldogs left him.

Meh. I don't see that any of these posts have held a candle to anything. I stand by my claims. For those complaining about how I don't understand loyalty and blah blah, I ahve followed the AFL for many years and know that you don't understand the reality of the AFL in 2013. Crying about interstate clubs isn't going to help you. Do you think Mike Fitzpatrick reads this forum and thinks, "oh yeah, we made a mistake. Let's go back to 12 Melbourne clubs playing on a Saturday afternoon"?
I am out of this thread but I leave you with a challenge. Explain to yourself why Brian Lake once playing for the Bulldogs is any cause for Bulldogs fans to be sad, disappointed, angry, solemn or anything just because he played for the Hawks in the grand final. He left the Bulldogs and the Bulldogs left him.
Perhaps if you had articulated yourself this way from the get go? I personally couldn't give a flying * about Brian Lake or Hawthorn let alone GWS, what i didn't like was your 2 year old attitude coming on here and mouthing off to one of our posters, whether i agree with him or not it irrelevant.I hate Essendon for then any other club, but i don't act like a turd when on the rare occasion i visit that pit of occult debauchery and ignorance.
I must admit I agree with the rube from GWS as much as it pains me to say.
i agree with the reason spiders exist too, but i challenge you to reach the count of 3 before i have stomped that little s**t into oblivion.

Great player for us for many years and should never be forgotten. Our best full back in my time watching footy.
Sadly he will be remembered as a triple premiership player for the Hawks , already have people telling me how they, the Hawks , got the best out of him.:mad:

Call me crazy but would love to see him finish his career in our backline.

Would probably hamper development of a Roberts or Cordy but with Talia exiting and potentially no mature kpd to replace him surely it couldn't hurt that much to throw him a 1 season contract?

He would probably know Bev pretty well too....

I'm sure Murph and Boyd would be happy to line up alongside him again.

Great player for us for many years and should never be forgotten. Our best full back in my time watching footy.
Sadly he will be remembered as a triple premiership player for the Hawks , already have people telling me how they, the Hawks , got the best out of him.:mad:
Tell your colleagues that's rubbish

He peaked in 2009-10, he was the missing part of the puzzle for them for two years though, they should be grateful they got him.

Anyways, congrats on your career Brian, all the best in retirement.

In a game increasing dominated by automatons, how can you not love this wacky bastard!

408397_gl.jpg

He probably drove it out of the G and straight to Caroline Springs football club.

In a game increasing dominated by automatons, how can you not love this wacky bastard!

408397_gl.jpg

He probably drove it out of the G and straight to Caroline Springs football club.
Apparently he drives a golf buggy/kart or something around at his kids games down there.

Was talking to a few after a cricket game last summer.

Call me crazy but would love to see him finish his career in our backline.

Would probably hamper development of a Roberts or Cordy but with Talia exiting and potentially no mature kpd to replace him surely it couldn't hurt that much to throw him a 1 season contract?

He would probably know Bev pretty well too....

I'm sure Murph and Boyd would be happy to line up alongside him again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back