Toast Congratulations Ed Langdon

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks a player. At a derby pre-match function, Zac Dawson said in his opinion, Ed was the most promising of last years recruits but that, maybe a bit like a young Stephen Hill, he didn't quite know how good he is/can be yet.

Hopefully gets a full start.

Well done young Ed! Really looking forward to seeing what he can do. :)

Interesting that both Weller and Langdon have older brothers playing for 'traditional' Vic clubs. Also interesting that the Pies supporters aren't being total flogs about Ed, like the Saints supporters are about Lachie, and saying he's 'definitely coming' to their club.

Interesting that both Weller and Langdon have older brothers playing for 'traditional' Vic clubs. Also interesting that the Pies supporters aren't being total flogs about Ed, like the Saints supporters are about Lachie, and saying he's 'definitely coming' to their club.

Some of those Saints supporters are unhealthily obsessed with anything Fremantle :\

Congrats Ed!!! Hopefully he gets a fair bit of game time tomorrow. I've been looking forward to see what he can do because all the WAFL reports have been really promising.

I think the pies supporters already think they have the best players and wouldn't take anyone less than a Fyfe or Dangerfield in a trade.

Next year the team will definitely improve the scoreline pressure, with players like
Ed getting a taste of what is required at this level. Saw a few games at the beginning of
the year of Peel, thought Ed was just as exciting as Weller, Blakey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is special isnt it :) - what a great message for our club to send to younger talented players. Hopefully it makes it easier to attract and keep young talent in the future.
Just out of curiosity, why do we do that? I mean, I'll do it tomorrow but I've already seen him play 15 or more times. Is cheering every possession a new player gets unique to Freo? If it is I think it's kinda cool. The crowd were still cheering every possession AP got in his 3rd home game. Or was that just me?

Just out of curiosity, why do we do that? I mean, I'll do it tomorrow but I've already seen him play 15 or more times. Is cheering every possession a new player gets unique to Freo? If it is I think it's kinda cool. The crowd were still cheering every possession AP got in his 3rd home game. Or was that just me?
I love that we do it! Not really sure why we do, but it's definitely unique to Freo. I go to a lot of different team's games being based in Melbourne, and I've not experienced it anywhere else. Menzel got a little bit of it last night for his first game back, but that was a special circumstance.

could be to do with us only introducing 4 first game players over the last couple of years (lowest in the AFL), so its a special event when it happens and the crowd enjoys it.

It's definitely a freo thing, and I absolutely love it - I think there's a lot of things behind it. We've had real trouble attracting talent in the past, especially KP players, and we've also made some really shitty trades in the past. I think it made the freo faithfull very aware of our need to both attract and retain good talent, and encourage our promising younger players to stay.

I also think the stories of guys like Barlow, Spurr, Tabs ( and to some degree Morra ) help influence it too. We haven't really had many top draft picks earn their way into the team with a sliver spoon in their mouth - guys like Pav and Hill aside, our best players are guys who worked hard to get their shot, and the team environment at the club has helped to bring out their best. Morra was a high pick with talent, but his injuries have made his footy story one of struggle, not privilege.

Long story short, I think Freo's fans know exactly how hard our young guys work to get their shot, and how special it is to play for the team on the day they finally make it. Our fans get behind them because we want the young guy's success, just as much as they do.

It's one of the reason's I admire and like the club so much - there are aspects of its culture that are still genuinely noble... something some of the comp's older clubs seem to have lost along the way.

I could never support a club like the Bombers... In the pursuit of success at any cost, they've lost all sense of human decency.

The days of razzing our players when they under-perform are thankfully behind us - hopefully they stay that way.

Last edited:
The days of razzing our players when they under-perform are thankfully behind us - hopefully they stay that way.
There will always be elements of every fan base that razz players. Our captain got razzed at a home game earlier this year when he took a mark after a few spilled attempts in a game. Same thing happened to Sandi during a different game and there's loads of it in here when players underperform or have perceived to at least.

A Langdon pulling on The Purple. Thinking of him as just Ed will certainly have its merits.

I hope the crowd makes sure that Ed's debut is a memorable one! It's momentous in itself to debut, but the roar of the crowd, knowing it's for you, would be electric and a dream come true. And it will hopefully get him to fall in love with the Purple Haze and stay here forever. :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back