Congratulations Mick Malthouse- All Time Coaching Record

Remove this Banner Ad

When I was first getting into following Aussie rules in the mid 90s, I loved learning about the history of the game. More than that, as a kid I wanted to know what all the records were. The excitement when you discover things for the first time that you remember forever- the first time reading about Fred Fanning's 18 goals, Collingwood's 4 premierships in a row, the names of the Triple Brownlow Medallists, and all the other phenomenal, unlikely and heroic accomplishments that our game throws up.

Of all the stats and numbers, a few seemed unbreakable to me- one of them was Jock McHales coaching record. With the game changing so quickly, coaches seemed to be living and dying by the results of a single season- I watched some of the great coaches leave the game- David Parkin, Dennis Pagan, Malcolm Blight, later it was Kevin Sheedy and Leigh Matthews. Young coaches seemed to be the way the game was going. But among the result driven and cutthroat nature of AFL coaching, Mick Malthouse kept on leading teams to finals series, kept on moving with the game.

Malthouse is the greatest coach my team has ever had, and holds an important place in the history of the game as a whole, leading the first non Victorian team to win a premiership.

Now he will hold the all time coaching record as well. Although it's not as eye catching as a goalkicking record being broken, the longevity, passion and tactical ability to last 30 years as a senior coach is unbelievable.

Whatever you happen to think about Mick as a coach, a person or a leader, it's impossible not to acknowledge and admire what he's been able to achieve. Records like this fall a couple in a lifetime, if you're lucky.

Well done Mick.

When I was first getting into following Aussie rules in the mid 90s, I loved learning about the history of the game. More than that, as a kid I wanted to know what all the records were. The excitement when you discover things for the first time that you remember forever- the first time reading about Fred Fanning's 18 goals, Collingwood's 4 premierships in a row, the names of the Triple Brownlow Medallists, and all the other phenomenal, unlikely and heroic accomplishments that our game throws up.

As long as you knew the name Wilfred 'Chicken' Smallhorn, that's all you needed really.

I will be there Friday night, and while I hope we dampen the occasion for him; I will give him a cheer. He is hugely responsible for the change of fortunes for Collingwood and is one of only 2 living Collingwood premiership coaches. For that I will always be grateful.

Apart from probably Carlton, it is fair to say that each team he has coached has benefitted greatly from his guidance.

Hardly anyone will be celebrating because no one likes him anymore.

He pissed off Collingwood fans and has taken Carlton backwards since getting there so they don't like him else well.
What a strange world view - the human race is totally made up of Carlton or Collingwood fans?

What a strange world view - the human race is totally made up of Carlton or Collingwood fans?
I'm surprised he included Carlton fans.

I don't like Micks attitude at times but I can respect him.

Deserves the Kudos for an incredible achievement. He has said some knobby things over time, but I think the respect outweighs the lapses. I also quite like the fact that he always has, and still does, piss off the media. Stuff em! They don't get to tell everyone how they should act. Also, I enjoyed the whately interview yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly anyone will be celebrating because no one likes him anymore.

He pissed off Collingwood fans and has taken Carlton backwards since getting there so they don't like him else well.
He didn't piss me off.

He decided to move on as he still had the drive to continue as a senior coach. I've got no problem with that.
We don't have too many premiership coaches in our history -only two of them are still alive!
Matthews coached us to a flag. We eventually moved him on.
Malthouse coached us to a flag. He also left the club and moved on to another. I'm happy we have Bucks as coach -and happy for Malthouse he has landed another job. Both Malthouse and Matthews should be celebrated and remembered as making great contributions to Collingwood. I don't care how or why Malthouse left, his landing us a premiership outweighs all that.

It's a real pity the record is going to such an unlikeable prick. The lack of build up and celebration is very telling. If it were Sheedy, for example, we'd have had weeks of fanfare leading up the match.

It really is something that should be celebrated, but the silence has been deafening.

He's a grumpy old man, but hats off for achieving a milestone that many probably thought could never be achieved in the modern game, even if he's had to coach every second club to get there

It's a real pity the record is going to such an unlikeable prick. The lack of build up and celebration is very telling. If it were Sheedy, for example, we'd have had weeks of fanfare leading up the match.

It really is something that should be celebrated, but the silence has been deafening.
Doesn't help that he's limping to the finish line; and spread over 4 sets of fans aswell.

Always admired him as a coach. At collingwood, they always seemed competitive, against anyone. And even when they didn't he still survived and brought them back for a premiership.

I can remember when he first started coaching Footscray.

The Dogs at the time were pretty much at the bottom of the pile alongside the Saints.

In just his 2nd year there, with much of the same list he had at the start, there they were, challenging Essendon and Hawthorn for the 1985 premiership.

He had a good list that year - Coleman Medallist Beasley, Brownlow Medallist Hardie, the ever brilliant Hawkins and the reliable Kennedy, Edmond, MacPherson and so on. This was a team that smashed Essendon at the Western Oval for example. Should have played in the Grand Final.

He stayed at the Kennel until the end of 1989 and his departure was part of the off-field problems that year.

Bobs up at the Eagles and turns them into an amazing side for a decade. Amazed they didn't win more premierships.

Off to the Pies and turned the 1999 wooden spooners into a grand final side in 2002! Again should have won more than 1 premiership at the Pies, but, got shafted by Eddie and Buckley. Eddie's love for Bucks and the "succession" plan have to be seen for what they are...a disaster.

Now at Carlton and the cattle just isn't there.

But, keep coaching Mick. You deserve this week's honour an to be signed on for another 5 years.

Fantastic career. I think in 10-15 years his Carlton years won't be remembered as much, but his eras at West Coast and Collingwood will be. You look at the 22's from the 2002 grand final and there is no way there was 9 points between them on paper - and Matthews was obviously a legendary coach too. Shows what Mick could do.

I don't know a whole lot about his stint at Whitten Oval, but this is a man who guided the Eagles to the finals in each of his ten years there (for two flags/three GFs) and took the bottom-ranked Pies to consecutive GFs within four years, followed later by two more (for one flag). That's pretty bloody good in my books. I congratulate him for these successes.

His showing at the Blues so far hasn't been as outstanding, but if he's got another two or three years left in him (optimistic?)... I'm certainly not going to suggest he can lead us to a Grand Final in three years, but guiding the Blues back into the top four could be a commendable conclusion to a long and storied coaching life. You don't get to 715 matches coached without knowing a thing or two about the game.

Who likes Sheedy who only coached at one club and took them to second last?

Sheedy is worse than Malthouse and Parkin.

Classless post in light of Mick's achievement.

The fanfare for Fletcher's record will be sickening for someone who is dirtier than Judd and Yarran. Shame we can't bring out Kernahan or Brown to make him his bunny in another game.

Who likes Sheedy who only coached at one club and took them to second last?

Sheedy is worse than Malthouse and Parkin.

Classless post in light of Mick's achievement.

The fanfare for Fletcher's record will be sickening for someone who is dirtier than Judd and Yarran. Shame we can't bring out Kernahan or Brown to make him his bunny in another game.

Wrong on every level.

Sheedy coached at 2 clubs.

Anyone who think Fletcher is dirty is just a tad clueless about football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back