Connecting the dots - Are we on the brink of calamity?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is amazing what printing money will do to stop a recession.

oh really? that would explain the hyperinflation and massive gold surge we're experiencing (that he predicted) hey?

He should be predicting the a Greatest Depression! Wait a second, that started in 2008. Take a look at the US, Europe, Japan, etc.

you'd believe anyone who said anything just as long as it included "the end is nigh". you CTs are all the same.

oh really? that would explain the hyperinflation and massive gold surge we're experiencing (that he predicted) hey?

you'd believe anyone who said anything just as long as it included "the end is nigh". you CTs are all the same.
The end of fiat currency is nigh alright. Currencies have collapsed throughout history because of manipulation and interference. What makes you think that what is going on right now will be any different dc?

The end of fiat currency is nigh alright.

haha! :) so how would you define "nigh", exactly? coz gold bugs/austrian nuts/CTS have been telling me this for at least 10 years, and they reached fever pitch in 2008.

Currencies have collapsed throughout history because of manipulation and interference.

yes and no. yes, currencies have collapsed and manipulation/interference have contributed. but no, that doesn't necessarily imply that they would have survived without said manipulation. easy example being spain, who brought too much gold back from the americas and the currency got screwed. this wasn't malfeasance, just happenstance.

What makes you think that what is going on right now will be any different dc?

ok, first off i'd like to point out that i don't necessarily think that systems or currencies will last forever. that's just silly. economies are anarchic (well except for maybe NK!) and it's unwise to believe that anything will last. hell, we've seen currencies collapse in my lifetime, and i'm not quite 40 yet.

mainly, i object to the usual suspects (extremist, conspiracy-minded people) predicting imminent doom every 5 minutes. was the GFC not exciting enough for them? :rolleyes:

having said that though, the reason i don't think fiat per se is doomed, is because the (much publicised) alternative (commodity-backed currencies) don't make any sense. by that i mean that there's simply no relationship between a commodity and the economy as a whole. oh sure, south africa's economy might be impacted by its gold mining, and australia by our iron or coal exports, but that's not the same thing as basing your currency on the value of something totally disconnected from the role of a currency.

ie if any given country has no gold in storage, it doesn't follow that they don't have a rich economy based on all kinds of other things.

so, individual currencies may collapse, but fiat will be here a lot longer than people like you give it credit for.

I've been thinking about the Ukraine and Russia the last day or so . And I'm sort of baffled as to why they a arguing so badly. Especially in this day and age, where it seems every one on the earth knows what everyone is doing.
So Ukraine wants to move to the West a step, I say top Russia , SO, WHAT??????? What is the bloody problem of border wars and killing and murder because the Ukraine a sovereign nation gets rid of a scum bag leader , who is a scum bag but leans toward Russia . So Russia get pissed off and almost set in motion WW3, which no one can win, but Russia would be non existent if it did.
Russia gets every countries hackles up, because it thinks it still Mr Soviet Union, it isn't. But it still has enough military muscle to make rubble out of anyone who tries to change some thing which they have the right to.

Russia needs to come Westward , that miserable war ridden enslaved rat hole of a country needs some bloody peace in its history . How do w*****s like Putin actually get into office. They seem to be a grey backward nation, unsmiling and miserable! and will be forever I think. No brains.

Cause the seppos are playing a high stakes game, of funny buggers

I've been thinking about the Ukraine and Russia the last day or so . And I'm sort of baffled as to why they a arguing so badly. Especially in this day and age, where it seems every one on the earth knows what everyone is doing.
So Ukraine wants to move to the West a step, I say top Russia , SO, WHAT??????? What is the bloody problem of border wars and killing and murder because the Ukraine a sovereign nation gets rid of a scum bag leader , who is a scum bag but leans toward Russia . So Russia get pissed off and almost set in motion WW3, which no one can win, but Russia would be non existent if it did.
Russia gets every countries hackles up, because it thinks it still Mr Soviet Union, it isn't. But it still has enough military muscle to make rubble out of anyone who tries to change some thing which they have the right to.

Russia needs to come Westward , that miserable war ridden enslaved rat hole of a country needs some bloody peace in its history . How do w*****s like Putin actually get into office. They seem to be a grey backward nation, unsmiling and miserable! and will be forever I think. No brains.

Did you figure out the borrowing of a trillion in a month yet?

to be fair the population of Iceland is like 5 so not necessarily that relevant to other nations, and they also decided not to honour all the $$ obligations they owed to the UK/Netherlands. if you use other people's money and then never pay back what you owe, obviously you're better off than if you had paid it back.

to be fair the population of Iceland is like 5 so not necessarily that relevant to other nations, and they also decided not to honour all the $$ obligations they owed to the UK/Netherlands. if you use other people's money and then never pay back what you owe, obviously you're better off than if you had paid it back.
Iceland refused to accept the financial terrorism carried out on them by private banks acting in the best interests of the IMF. It wasn't Iceland's debt to repay!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

iceland was all too happy to accept foreign deposits and the associated benefits when the party was still rolling. they guaranteed local deposits but made the (financially prudent) decision not to do so with foreign customers. i didn't support screwing customers based on nationality, but the courts disagreed. i was just pointing out that taking in a bunch of cash, throwing a party and then not accepting any liability when the s**t hits the fan will obviously result in an economically superior outcome than getting your country of 5 people to pay back a few billion dollars they don't have.

iceland was all too happy to accept foreign deposits and the associated benefits when the party was still rolling. they guaranteed local deposits but made the (financially prudent) decision not to do so with foreign customers. i didn't support screwing customers based on nationality, but the courts disagreed. i was just pointing out that taking in a bunch of cash, throwing a party and then not accepting any liability when the s**t hits the fan will obviously result in an economically superior outcome than getting your country of 5 people to pay back a few billion dollars they don't have.
What do you mean by "Iceland"?

What's the point of deregulation?

in this instance? to encourage investment and free up Iceland's banking system from red tape? after the reforms Iceland was perceived to be the place to park your money in europe.

sorry, im really not following what you're getting at. if you could spell it out for me that would be ace :)

in this instance? to encourage investment and free up Iceland's banking system from red tape? after the reforms Iceland was perceived to be the place to park your money in europe.

sorry, im really not following what you're getting at. if you could spell it out for me that would be ace :)
Deregulation has an implicit warning of caveat emptor. If people putting their money into a deregulated banking system based in a country of 300,000 people whose main export is cod didn't think something was sus about it, then god help them

Deregulation has an implicit warning of caveat emptor. If people putting their money into a deregulated banking system based in a country of 300,000 people whose main export is cod didn't think something was sus about it, then god help them
it is like the bubble in alpaca or llama farming in australia in the 90s or last decade. !

I had a few relatives heavily into Ostriches. :D

thats what i meant, I knew i was wrong, i just could not pick it or remember.

not the same, but all the money that went into almonds and other wood plantations for the tax benefit, but can only be a benefit when the investment has the fundamentals

When the nukes start flying it will be a good time to finally ask - "was it the Ruskis that are the bad guys, or is it us?

BurningBright it was the ostrich farming bubble which was like the tulips in Holland in the 18thcentury! someone corrected me

I know, I read the following post too. Deer was pretty good for while

Remove this Banner Ad

Back