Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion part 2

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
*EDIT* This is a continuation of this thread.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274469

Just mentioned on channel ten that Ryley Dunn won't be offered a new deal.

Good news really but disappointing that we got very little return from a top ten pick. :(

So at this stage we have 7 new players on the senior list (Carr, Carr, Black, Bell, Webster, Farmer, Mark Johnson) and 4 free spots on the rookie list (Macca, Dunn and the 2 additional spots with the rule change). Plus Smith has to be elevated or delisted so we'll have 5 rookie spots to fill.

Jezzza

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Re: Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion.

Barra reckons that Mundy has also asked to be traded today.

stripes

Debutant
Jul 4, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
western force

Just mentioned on channel ten that Ryley Dunn won't be offered a new deal.

Good news really but disappointing that we got very little return from a top ten pick. :(

So at this stage we have 7 new players on the senior list (Carr, Carr, Black, Bell, Webster, Farmer, Mark Johnson) and 4 free spots on the rookie list (Macca, Dunn and the 2 additional spots with the rule change). Plus Smith has to be elevated or delisted so we'll have 5 rookie spots to fill.

Smith can be retained on the rookie list for one more year

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

Barra reporting that Mundy wants to be traded to Richmond.

Richmond are building quite a team of mercenaries aren't they? And a few of them with suspect attitudes too.

Perhaps we should warn them about what happened when we tried that? Or perhaps not.

stripes

Debutant
Jul 4, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
western force

It used to be that after two years they had to be elevated or cut. Has that changed?

I'm pretty sure its age based now....so after the third year they are too old unless its a mature age rookie.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK

Latest development...

Gorn...
MCarr - retired
Bellie - retired
Macca - retired
Black - retired
MaJohnson - retired
Webster - retired
JCarr - trade
Farmer - retired
Dunn- delisted

Solomon
Duffield
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Warnock
Bradley
Browne

Peake
MiJohnson
Grover
Hayden
Drum
Ibbotson
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne

Rookies
Smith
Connelly
Pratt
Mourish

------------------------------------

I'll believe (add :eek:) Mundy / Warnock when it becomes official.... :(

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers

So that's 9 gone, of which 7 impact on the main list.

Of those 2008s, you'd have to think that Solly and Bradley are certainties, with Duff almost certainly staying; Murphy and Thornton are likely to stay :(:thumbsdown:; Browne is unlikely; and Warnock and Mundy are the big unknown.

Personally, I'm hoping that Thornton, Murph and Browne are the only ones from that group not playing with us next year.

Looks like we'll be a BIG player this Draft week. And that we'll be looking for more than one "mature" player, too. Sort of like how Schneider, Charlie Gardner and Mattner were traded last year - we just might need an experienced player or 2. eg Swallow, D Johnson, Armfield.

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

It used to be that after two years they had to be elevated or cut. Has that changed?

Pretty sure the rules have changed and it's only age that restricts your time on the rookie list. I think if you're picked up as say an 18 year old - you can be on the rookie list till the year you turn 23. Unless you are a "mature age rookie", then as long as you haven't been on an AFL list at all, you can be picked up. Then I'm not sure how long you can stay on the rookie list. :confused:

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Pretty sure the rules have changed and it's only age that restricts your time on the rookie list. I think if you're picked up as say an 18 year old - you can be on the rookie list till the year you turn 23. Unless you are a "mature age rookie", then as long as you haven't been on an AFL list at all, you can be picked up. Then I'm not sure how long you can stay on the rookie list. :confused:

Thanks IP.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Looks like we'll be a BIG player this Draft week. And that we'll be looking for more than one "mature" player, too. Sort of like how Schneider, Charlie Gardner and Mattner were traded last year - we just might need an experienced player or 2. eg Swallow, D Johnson, Armfield.

Last year we did not select any young players after the third ound, rationalinsing that Bradley and Johnson would offer as much or more than players selected late in the draft. History shows this to be pretty accurate, although there can be late gems.

Now it may be a good darft, but having a strong top 30-50 players does not mean that the next 50 selections are also going to be strong. I think we will definitely be hoping that some experience finds its way into the draft, like Bradley did, though hopefully no Johnsons.

Chops_a_must

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh

Now it may be a good darft, but having a strong top 30-50 players does not mean that the next 50 selections are also going to be strong. I think we will definitely be hoping that some experience finds its way into the draft, like Bradley did, though hopefully no Johnsons.
I would go the other way and say we may look at one or two mature age players, under 22, like Anthony and Ballantyne, but also spend a pick or two on a bottom ager who may not otherwise go this draft, but would be a certainty next year. Like a Kieran King for example.

So roughly:
2 mature agers.
2 bottom agers.
3-4 regulation picks (depending on trades for picks, players and potentially delistings in Murphy and Browne).

So in essence, with Webster and Browne gone who are basically wasted roster spots, it almost becomes a regulation draft.

It also means we get a year ahead on the competition in terms of replacing spuds like Peake and Thornton, when teams go all out on bottom agers next year.

Because you can guarantee that each team next year will be punting on at least one or two bottom agers ahead of the GC team coming in. It may set a record for the number of players taken, but will also mean most squads are effectively 1-2 players down on the default position, where we may not be. ;)

ImperialPurple

May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Latest development with Duff and Thornton (urgh) getting 2 year deals...

Gorn...
MCarr - retired
Bellie - retired
Macca - retired
Black - retired
MaJohnson - retired
Webster - retired
JCarr - trade
Farmer - retired
Dunn- delisted

Solomon
Murphy
Mundy
Warnock
Bradley
Browne

Peake
MiJohnson
Grover
Hayden
Drum
Ibbotson
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne
Duffield
Thornton

Rookies
Smith
Connelly
Pratt
Mourish

-------------------------------------

Did Kep get one or two years when he was drafted ? Should I move him down to 2009?? Anyone
know? Pretty sure it was just the one year.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

I would go the other way and say we may look at one or two mature age players, under 22, like Anthony and Ballantyne, but also spend a pick or two on a bottom ager who may not otherwise go this draft, but would be a certainty next year. Like a Kieran King for example.

So roughly:
2 mature agers.
2 bottom agers.
3-4 regulation picks (depending on trades for picks, players and potentially delistings in Murphy and Browne).

We're likely to have 8 or 9 places on the main list and probably 5 rookie spots so we'll probably see 7 or 8 regular 18/19 year old pick ups then a combination of bottom agers, 20-22 year old WAFL players and one or two experienced AFL players.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us leave 2 spots open for the PSD because depending on what happens with Browne/Mundy/Warnock/Carr/Murphy we could have 10 or more spots to fill on the senior list through the drafts. Any young player who is available at pick 80 or 90+ in the national draft will almost certainly be available at pick 7 or 8 in the PSD, so we might take an experienced AFL player and a WAFL player in the PSD (like we did with Michael Johnson).

While the Gold Coast doesn't get to pick in 2009 the draft age will be pushed back by 4 months which effectively cuts out a third of the draft pool.

Chops_a_must

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh

We're likely to have 8 or 9 places on the main list and probably 5 rookie spots so we'll probably see 7 or 8 regular 18/19 year old pick ups then a combination of bottom agers, 20-22 year old WAFL players and one or two experienced AFL players.
I was specifically talking about the ND in this post. ;)

Back