Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion.

Interesting. I think of those coming out of contract this year you can draw a line through
Thornton
Murphy
Grover
Solomon
Dodd
O'Brien
and possibly Des which means we'll be going pretty deep again in the draft.
you would think we would get a pick inside the top 16 in 2010 ND.
what do you think freo will go for. best available,kpp,inside mid ?

Half those guys will probably be replaced with guys from our rookie list so I wouldn't expect us to go too deep in the ND - unless we think it's a deep draft with better talent than we've already got waiting to be upgraded.

And with those upgrades of the rookie list it means we don't have to select 3 picks in the ND.

So we could upgrade (for example) Barlow and De Boer and use our first pick and that's it.

But I'd say we'd probably use 2-3 picks (ND) + 3 rookie upgrades

Suban's extension makes it look like this:

Tarrant
Pav
McPharlin
Hinkley
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson
Grover (Veteran list)
Ballantyne
Walters
Bucovaz
Hall
Bradley
Hase
Dodd
Headland
O'Brien
Solomon - retired

Johnson
Clarke
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Ruffles
Broughton
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Crichton
Roberton
Bollenhagen
Mayne

Hill
Suban

Sandilands

Rookies
de Boer
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard
Van Berlo
Barlow
Silvagni

It would appear to be a dead-set monty that Barlow and Silvagni will earn upgrades and 2 year contracts at the end of this year; but what about VB, DB and Pearce? That could potentially be 5 places on the senior list right there...

If they look at taking 3 new players - that could mean slashing up to 8 players from the senior list...

Bye-bye to (IMO):
Solly (obviously)
Brock
Thornton
Dodd
Murphy
Kepple - ??
Plus maybe Hall

Who else? Des? Hase? Grover? Hinkley?

Will be interesting stuff.

Do you reckon Hall will go? I reckon he was taken as a long term player. Got a bunch of touches coming back into Sharks reserves on the weekend.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hinkley go. Des may retire if he gets injured again.

I don't think Pearce will be elevated at the end of the year, and it's looking unlikely for De Boer and JVB. Barlow has gone past all the other rookies already, while Silvagni occupies a key position and looks at home.

It would appear to be a dead-set monty that Barlow and Silvagni will earn upgrades and 2 year contracts at the end of this year; but what about VB, DB and Pearce? That could potentially be 5 places on the senior list right there...

If they look at taking 3 new players - that could mean slashing up to 8 players from the senior list...

Don't forget they changed the rules so next year we could use our first 2 picks on new players and our next 2 on our Rookie upgrades so it could go:

Pick #20 - New Player
Pick #38 - New Player
Pick #51 - Alex Silvagni (Rookie upgrade)
Pick #77 - Michael Barlow (Rookie upgrade)

(Numbers are random btw)

But with the new rules we don't have to pick 3 new players, we can mix and match with any Rookies we want to upgrade.

Well, with Barlow getting his senior contract today, the list looks like this:

Tarrant
Pav
McPharlin
Hinkley
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson
Grover (Veteran list)
Ballantyne
Walters
Bucovaz
Hall
Bradley
Hase
Dodd
Headland
O'Brien
Solomon - retired

Johnson
Clarke
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Ruffles
Broughton
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Crichton
Roberton
Bollenhagen
Mayne

Hill
Suban
Barlow

Sandilands

Rookies
de Boer
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard
Van Berlo
Silvagni

Don't forget they changed the rules so next year we could use our first 2 picks on new players and our next 2 on our Rookie upgrades so it could go:

Pick #20 - New Player
Pick #38 - New Player
Pick #51 - Alex Silvagni (Rookie upgrade)
Pick #77 - Michael Barlow (Rookie upgrade)

(Numbers are random btw)

But with the new rules we don't have to pick 3 new players, we can mix and match with any Rookies we want to upgrade.

Pearce, de Boer and JVB will be heading into their 3rd year as rookies so they will have the option of nomming for the ND. I wouldnt want to lose de Boer or Pearce and JVB seems to be doing his bit ( done an OK job on Zaharakis when moved on him late). Just depends if other clubs are sniffing them out or not.

As i said in a post a few months ago, our list management is going to be pretty interesting at the end of 2010.

Would we consider using our first round pick and trading away our second and third for a decent KPP with upgrades to be used on the remaining picks?

Can't see that we'd get anyone too worthwhile for a 2nd and 3rd round pick given how low they will turn out to be with the GC concessions.

Tarrant
Pav
McPharlin
Hinkley
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson
Grover (Veteran list)
Ballantyne
Walters
Bucovaz
Hall
Bradley
Hase
Dodd
Headland
O'Brien
Solomon - retired

Rookies
de Boer
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard
Van Berlo
Barlow
Silvagni

Bye-bye to (IMO):
Solly (obviously)
Brock
Thornton
Dodd
Murphy
Kepple - ??
Plus maybe Hall

Who else? Des? Hase? Grover? Hinkley?

Will be interesting stuff.

At present I'd say we need to free up 7 spots. Three in the ND (I know we don't have to but it would be silly to pass in the 3rd round) then a spot for DeBoer, Silvagni, Barlow and Clanceeee.

If I was Guy McKenna I'd definately be tracking Pearce. Big bodied, works hard, pretty good skills and finds the footy. Round 1 2011 he'll have 3 pre-seasons under his belt and be ready to play.

I'd roll the dice with VB and hope that he'll accept a third year on the rookie list. His age and lack of flair works in our favour.

The six you've listed certainly look gone at this stage IP, although things could change. The 7th spot will depend on Tarrant's future and whether or not we lose a player to GC. If Tarrant stays and no one wants to go to QLD then 1 or 2 really tough decisions will need to be made. Hase is safe aslong as he stays fit. Headland's the type of player a coach would want on his list because his best is elite.

I'd consider de-listing Bradley then rookie listing him, I don't think anyone else would pick him up but our ruck stocks are low. Could possibly do the same with Hinkley depending on his form between now and seasons end, I think he has something to offer though.

Can't see that we'd get anyone too worthwhile for a 2nd and 3rd round pick given how low they will turn out to be with the GC concessions.

That's irrelevant really. If player X is out of contract and wants to play for Fremantle then club Y can accept picks 38 and 55 or let player X enter the draft and lose him for nothing.

I bet St Kilda wish they took pick 30 for Luke Ball now.

Solly - Pick for Barlow elevation
BoB - Pick for Silvagni elevation
Murph - Pick for Pearce/De Boer elevation
Dodd - 1st rounder
Thornton - 2nd rounder
Kep - 3rd rounder
Grover - Can elevate Pearce/De Boer
Upgrade slot - Currently using on Barlow, can upgrade van Berlo

Anyone else we delist/trade will obviously be an extra pick. No need to use extra picks in the draft to upgrade two of Pearce/De Boer/van Berlo, when we can upgrade them Permanently with no Vets.

Any other delists/trades to give another round pick, starting at round 4.

Also pretty sure we can keep all rookies for 3 years, so no need to rush on the upgrades unless we really need to, i doubt they'll be going anywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's irrelevant really. If player X is out of contract and wants to play for Fremantle then club Y can accept picks 38 and 55 or let player X enter the draft and lose him for nothing.

I bet St Kilda wish they took pick 30 for Luke Ball now.

But if player X is worthwhile recruiting, it would be highly likely that GC would pounce with one of their multitude of draft picks wouldn't it? I think that will have a big influence on trade week this year

But if player X is worthwhile recruiting, it would be highly likely that GC would pounce with one of their multitude of draft picks wouldn't it? I think that will have a big influence on trade week this year

Only if player X wants to play for the Gold Coast. GC can sign one uncontracted player from each club but if that uncontracted player would rather play for Freo his club will have to negotiate with Fremantle during trade week.

Only if player X wants to play for the Gold Coast. GC can sign one uncontracted player from each club but if that uncontracted player would rather play for Freo his club will have to negotiate with Fremantle during trade week.

Much like Saints 'had to' negotiate with Collingwood last year because of Ball's preference to go there? I know this was probably the exception to the rule, but given that a player's chances of getting to a preferred club through the draft will be much lower with GC having a number of high picks, it will be interesting to see whether other clubs adopt a St Kilda style approach to negotiations.

I would in fact say that if a player doesn't want to play for Gold Coast it decreases the likelihood of them being willing to go into a draft, and hence decreases the likelihood they would be willing to go out of contract and request a trade.

Much like Saints 'had to' negotiate with Collingwood last year because of Ball's preference to go there? I know this was probably the exception to the rule, but given that a player's chances of getting to a preferred club through the draft will be much lower with GC having a number of high picks, it will be interesting to see whether other clubs adopt a St Kilda style approach to negotiations.

It'll be interesting to see how trade week pans out this year, although I'd say that the Saints would now regret not taking pick 30 for Ball.

With Balla's extension the list looks like this:

Tarrant
Pav
McPharlin
Hinkley
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson
Grover (Veteran list)
Walters
Bucovaz
Hall
Bradley
Hase
Dodd
Headland
O'Brien
Solomon - retired

Johnson
Clarke
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Ruffles
Broughton
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Crichton
Roberton
Bollenhagen
Mayne

Hill
Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow

Sandilands

Rookies
de Boer
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard
Van Berlo
Silvagni

IP you have forgotten Barlows 2 year contract to the end of 2012.

doh.gif

Fixed now... :eek:

Tarrant
Pav
McPharlin

Hinkley
Thornton
Murphy
Mundy
Hayden
Ibbotson
Grover (Veteran list)
Walters
Bucovaz
Hall
Bradley
Hase
Dodd
Headland
O'Brien
Solomon - retired

Those 5 would be our priority signings. Secure the highlighted players and our Gold Coast defence will be completed. I doubt any other uncontracted player is on their wishlist.

Who's left un-signed?

Tarrant
Mundy
Murphy
Ibbotson (??)
O'Brien
Solomon
Grover
Thornton
Bucovaz
Hall
Bradley (??)
Hase
Dodd
Headland

Current:

Tarrant
McPharlin
Mundy
Walters
Bucovaz
Hall
Headland
Dodd
O'Brien
Hinkley
Murphy

Johnson
Clarke
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Mayne
Bradley
Hayden

Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow
Ruffles
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni

Sandilands
Hill
Broughton

Pavlich

Rookies
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard
Van Berlo

Grover (Veteran list) - 2010

Solomon - retired
Thornton - retired
Hase - retired

Assuming Grover stays on as a veteran outside the main list, we can have 37 players on the senior list and 7 rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back