News Contract extensions: Lonergan 2016, Caddy, Duncan 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a proxy for the effectiveness of a team's defence - percentage of inside 50s conceded where a goal is scored for 2014:

Sydney Swans 20.9%
Fremantle Dockers 22.6%
North Melbourne Kangaroos 22.8%
Adelaide Crows 23.8%
Melbourne Demons 24.2%
Essendon Bombers 24.3%
Richmond Tigers 24.3%
Collingwood Magpies 24.3%
Gold Coast Suns 24.3%
Hawthorn Hawks 24.5%
West Coast Eagles 24.5%
Port Adelaide Power 24.6%
Geelong Cats 24.7%
Carlton Blues 25.9%
Brisbane Lions 27.0%
GWS Giants 27.9%
Western Bulldogs 29.0%
St Kilda Saints 30.6%

Interesting Stat catempire - do you have the opposite of that - percentage of inside 50's that a Team scores a goal from?
Interested as to how effective our F50 entries are..............

I can't pick the next captain to be honest. And seeing as Selwood is going to have it for as long as wants it'll be a fair while yet.

Selwood will have it for probably the next 5-6 years all going well and things can change a hell of a lot in that time, but Duncan and Caddy are far and away the best next in line candidates for mine.

Interesting Stat catempire - do you have the opposite of that - percentage of inside 50's that a Team scores a goal from?
Interested as to how effective our F50 entries are..............
Middle of the road:

Hawthorn Hawks 30.2%

West Coast Eagles 26.8%

Carlton Blues 26.5%

Fremantle Dockers 26.4%

North Melbourne Kangaroos 26.1%

Adelaide Crows 26.0%

Port Adelaide Power 25.8%

Gold Coast Suns 25.4%

Geelong Cats 25.2%

Sydney Swans 24.9%

GWS Giants 24.7%

Richmond Tigers 24.7%

Western Bulldogs 23.8%

Collingwood Magpies 23.0%

Essendon Bombers 22.4%

Brisbane Lions 21.9%

St Kilda Saints 21.9%

Melbourne Demons 21.2%

Middle of the road:

Hawthorn Hawks 30.2%

West Coast Eagles 26.8%

Carlton Blues 26.5%

Fremantle Dockers 26.4%

North Melbourne Kangaroos 26.1%

Adelaide Crows 26.0%

Port Adelaide Power 25.8%

Gold Coast Suns 25.4%

Geelong Cats 25.2%

Sydney Swans 24.9%

GWS Giants 24.7%

Richmond Tigers 24.7%

Western Bulldogs 23.8%

Collingwood Magpies 23.0%

Essendon Bombers 22.4%

Brisbane Lions 21.9%

St Kilda Saints 21.9%

Melbourne Demons 21.2%

Thanks catempire
So if we play the Hawks and we both have 40 inside 50's each, on average they will win by 2 goals.
Really hope we shake it up and give Tommy more support , Clark will help and I would play SJ up forward more in 2015 - he's good for 50 goals if he plays there often enough.

Thanks catempire
So if we play the Hawks and we both have 40 inside 50's each, on average they will win by 2 goals.
Really hope we shake it up and give Tommy more support , Clark will help and I would play SJ up forward more in 2015 - he's good for 50 goals if he plays there often enough.

Johnson's a midfielder now. If we get 20 goals from him in 2015 that's a bonus.

Johnson's a midfielder now. If we get 20 goals from him in 2015 that's a bonus.

He is that Partridge and a damn fine one at that.
However I think he will do a back to the future and finish his career forward. He is a better forward than Breust and arguably as good as or better than Gunston. We desperately need a 40-50 goal forward apart from Hawkins.
I know it leaves a hole in the midfield but if Caddy , Guthrie and GHS continue to develop and if a combo of Lang , Hartman or Jansen can contribute along with Motlop maybe SJ can spend more time forward - if not 2015 then beyond.

He is that Partridge and a damn fine one at that.
However I think he will do a back to the future and finish his career forward. He is a better forward than Breust and arguably as good as or better than Gunston. We desperately need a 40-50 goal forward apart from Hawkins.
I know it leaves a hole in the midfield but if Caddy , Guthrie and GHS continue to develop and if a combo of Lang , Hartman or Jansen can contribute along with Motlop maybe SJ can spend more time forward - if not 2015 then beyond.

5 years ago I would have agreed. Not so sure now.

He's only kicked 50 goals or more on 3 occasions - 2008, 2010 and 2011. He has only kicked 59 goals in the last three seasons combined. He has also lost a lot of penetration in his kicking. He will be playing injured because we know he covers up injuries to play. Plus the inevitable suspension or two next year. Let's just say I'd be looking to other players to become regular goalkickers.

5 years ago I would have agreed. Not so sure now.

He's only kicked 50 goals or more on 3 occasions - 2008, 2010 and 2011. He has only kicked 59 goals in the last three seasons combined. He has also lost a lot of penetration in his kicking. He will be playing injured because we know he covers up injuries to play. Plus the inevitable suspension or two next year. Let's just say I'd be looking to other players to become regular goalkickers.

Good points , we certainly need to develop other options as well.
Maybe the decline in goal output is in proportion to time spent in the midfield - over the last 2 seasons , not sure about 3 years ago.
He is a clever player though - had them mesmerised 30-40 metres from goal in the Irish Game !

But is that really a reflection of the teams defense?
How much of the fact that an inside 50 is conceded is actually due to the fact that that team has also conceded the clearance?
It seems to me a good bet that if you are getting flogged in the clearances then there is going to be enormous pressure placed on the defenders.
Does that stat really reflect more on how poor Geelong are in the middle of the ground?

Geelong is ranked first for "scores from clearances %" 29.5% AFL avg 24%

Even when we are losing clearances, i think there is a tendency for committed forward running from our mids and half backs. There was quite a few games last year our defenders were put under increased pressure because our outside players had over committed. Not by much, but two or three metres is enough to be out of position.

Cant really complain too much as it was mostly from the games<100 players.

I do have an expectation that Mitch and the bull have improved and hopping they drag more younger guys with them.

On last season's performances, and especially given his very poor season rating by the MC (barely ahead of the worst senior player in Varcoe), Mackie is a real chance to be in the 2nds; he's much more at risk than Kelly, for instance.
Ha ha hahaha hahahah a hahaha

Haha ha hahahah a. Ha haha ha
Get off the gas Fred

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-12-12/cats-secure-star-trio

10644320_773632422673421_8226848766577850625_o.jpg
Who is the middle player? Doesn't look like Caddy.

Was obviously referring to Lonergan:D....

Seriously though I think Duncan will be the next captain.
Probably, but I've said it before. Caddy is a natural leader. If he puts in a consistent season in 2015, who knows

Me too. He has always struck me as a bit of a loner at Geelong and would be attractive to almost all other clubs

Not the vibe I get from his 'MVP' videos with Vardy on Cats TV - he seems pretty popular around the club.

A tweet like his below also makes me feel he's pretty happy and comfortable where he is.

Steven Motlop
Verified account

@StevenMotlop32

Far out cats fans I'm happy! Nakia cockatoo is a great kid and a Darwin boy! #goosebumps @CockatooNakia welcome brother!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back