Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way we'd get a top quality free agent to head our way is if we had a good 2014 and look like a side on the cusp of challenging for the flag. We don't have a lot going for us otherwise. No corporate environment for a gun to cash in on. Terrible facilities. Worse finances. No salary cap advantages.

A similar season to 2013 won't really cut it in the player market. We'd need to push into the eight on the back of our under 25s playing top quality footy.

I just hope they get straight into contract neg. with the ones out in 2014...Lock them up real early, no leaving it until the last minute.

I just hope they get straight into contract neg. with the ones out in 2014...Lock them up real early, no leaving it until the last minute.

I have no doubt we try to do this. You can't force them to sign early, especially when their agents know the benefits of holding out.

Yes, I understand that, and these managers can be troublesome nuisances, but I also think the club needs to be very firm and let them know that we won't be frigged around either..

Yes, I understand that, and these managers can be troublesome nuisances, but I also think the club needs to be very firm and let them know that we won't be frigged around either..

How do we stop them frigging us around?

By offering a contract which we want finalised by such and such a date....take it or leave it.

Those are our terms.

..and stick to it.

We would lose more players under that policy.

One thing we have on our side is time. If at any point during their existing contract players feel like signing an extension, then that's when we put something on the table.

To be honest, I don't think the manner we approach contract negotiations is the big issue. Sure, there could well be some improvement that Kerr could make and I've said previously that he is responsible for the list and should be held accountable.

But we need to create a stable playing environment.

We need to convince our players that they have a strong future at our club, both in a personal and team sense.

We need to show them a club which is going to give them league standard facilities, coaching and development, if not now then in the medium term.

We need to give them the personal support they require away from footy because some people find it difficult to be away from home at the same time as trying to start their professional lives.

We need to create a culture which is big on honest feedback but balanced with support and development to better ensure improvement.

We need to have these guys playing for each other, looking after each other and being driven by a sense of mateship and not letting each other down.

We need a leadership which sets standards and then drives those standards.

And we need to recruit players who realise that this is a tough gig and are prepared to give every ounce of themselves to improve themselves and to build the sort of club they can be proud of.

Everything I've seen from the club suggests that this is a multi-faceted problem that needs a series of fixes. There's no magic bullet solution.

Frankly, we also need some sort of financial incentive. Any player looking forward to a long career in footy would understand that their earning power will be larger at another club with a bigger profile.

All of the things POBT describes are important, but really most of them should be a given at any AFL club. We need some point of difference so that purely self-interested, career-oriented footballers can justify sticking around without feeling like they're damaging themselves financially.

It might not be extra money in the salary cap, but the club really does need to lobby for some kind of concession. Maybe a developing market sponsorship pool.

Thought everyone might like an updated list :) I grabbed the last list posted by someone in Nov(?) and have updated player numbers and contract update I could find since then

Last updated : 19/03/2014

1. Luke McGuane - ?

2. Ryan Harwood - 2015

3. Brent Moloney – 2014

4. James Aish - 2015

5. Jack Crisp - ?

6. Josh Green - 2016

7. Jed Adcock - 2015

8. Rohan Bewick - 2014

9. Ash McGrath - 2013

10. Daniel Rich - 2016

11. Pearce Hanley - 2018

12. Stefan Martin - ?

13. Trent West - 2016

14. Brent Staker - 2015

15. Dayne Zorko - 2016

16. Jonathan Brown - 2013

17. Claye Beams – 2014

18. Nicholas Robertson - 2015

19. Jordan Lisle - 2014

21. Daniel Merrett - 2016

22. Marco Paparone - 2014

23. Matthew Leuenberger - 2015

24. Joel Patfull – 2015

25. Daniel McStay - 2015

26. Tom Cutler – 2015

27. Darcy Gardiner - 2015

28. Lewis Taylor - 2015

29. Andrew Raines - 2014

30. Jack Redden - 2016

31. James Polkinghorne - 2014

32. Sam Mayes - 2016

33. Michael Close – 2014

34. Jonathan Freeman - 2015

35. Ryan Lester - 2014

36. Matt Maguire - 2014

37. Patrick Wearden - 2014?

38. Tom Rockliff – 2017

39. Jackson Paine - ?

41. Mitch Golby - 2015

42. Justin Clarke - 2016

Thought everyone might like an updated list :) I grabbed the last list posted by someone in Nov(?) and have updated player numbers and contract update I could find since then

Last updated : 19/03/2014

1. Luke McGuane - ?

2. Ryan Harwood - 2015

3. Brent Moloney – 2014

4. James Aish - 2015

5. Jack Crisp - ?

6. Josh Green - 2016

7. Jed Adcock - 2015

8. Rohan Bewick - 2014

9. Ash McGrath - 2013

10. Daniel Rich - 2016

11. Pearce Hanley - 2018

12. Stefan Martin - ?

13. Trent West - 2016

14. Brent Staker - 2015

15. Dayne Zorko - 2016

16. Jonathan Brown - 2013

17. Claye Beams – 2014

18. Nicholas Robertson - 2015

19. Jordan Lisle - 2014

21. Daniel Merrett - 2016

22. Marco Paparone - 2014

23. Matthew Leuenberger - 2015

24. Joel Patfull – 2015

25. Daniel McStay - 2015

26. Tom Cutler – 2015

27. Darcy Gardiner - 2015

28. Lewis Taylor - 2015

29. Andrew Raines - 2014

30. Jack Redden - 2016

31. James Polkinghorne - 2014

32. Sam Mayes - 2016

33. Michael Close – 2014

34. Jonathan Freeman - 2015

35. Ryan Lester - 2014

36. Matt Maguire - 2014

37. Patrick Wearden - 2014?

38. Tom Rockliff – 2017

39. Jackson Paine - ?

41. Mitch Golby - 2015

42. Justin Clarke - 2016

Welcome trikster, great first post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the guys coming out of contract this year would seem we will be turning over a number of players this year, guys like Crisp, Bewick, Ash, Martin, Lisle, Raines, Polks, Goose,
Wearden are all guys you would imagine will need a pretty good year to be around in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compared to most seasons, it is actually a pretty good year to be in that fringe position. We'll be looking for stability and to keep the age profile of our list in the right spot. That might save a couple of Bewick, Lisle, Crisp etc who have shown glimpses of senior level capability.

That said, we've not played a game yet. A lot could change in 22 rounds. In the past, guys like Hawksley have looked like they are out the door, only to force their way into the seniors late and earn another year.

A common theme from all our re-signings is they think success is just around the corner. I think success will motivate people to stay as all players aspire to win premierships. The other side of the coin is that if we struggle this year success will seem a long way away and some may prefer to seek it elsewhere. The caveat to all of this is that even if the team is successful, players who aren't getting a game will always look for opportunities elsewehere.

Hey, sorry to intrude. Just wondering what the general feel about Andrew Raines is? From the outside looking in, he still looks like a decent player that is for some reason on the outs since leppitsch has come in. Why is that, and do you think this will be his last season at the Lions?

Hey, sorry to intrude. Just wondering what the general feel about Andrew Raines is? From the outside looking in, he still looks like a decent player that is for some reason on the outs since leppitsch has come in. Why is that, and do you think this will be his last season at the Lions?
Solid first post...

:eek::drunk::oops:

Sent back to the reserves early this season to work on his outside game to give him more flexibility. Came back last week and was probably in our best players. Not going too badly tonight (relative to the rest of the team).

Lisle, McGrath, Brown, Polkinghorne, Bewick, Crisp look certain for the chop/retire... im sure another 4 will join them

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Martin and Maquire don't look to be part of the future....

Ash, Brown, Goose to retire. Staker retire or delisted (injuries have killed him). That is 4 there, I think maybe Weardon, Polka and maybe Crisp might join them. I could maybe see Crisp getting another year, we lack depth and replacing any experience we have with late draft picks is not going to help us unless we can secure decent depth via FA. That is 7 changes, bound to be maybe 1 or 2 more, dont think we should be pushing for more than that. Lisle has value considering all our KPF are going to be super young, so I wouldnt be moving him off just yet, same with Martin, we need some ruck depth still. Bewick is just on the fringe, again, until he is safetly replaced in the best 22, id keep him on, especially with Ash going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back