Resource Contracts [Updated 05/10/2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

The intention was to upgrade Tippett to the senior list while re-drafting Delaney as a rookie, which obviously didn't eventuate. He was suggesting something similar for Harper and Nahas, effectively swapping positions on respective lists.

The intention was to upgrade Tippett to the senior list while re-drafting Delaney as a rookie, which obviously didn't eventuate. He was suggesting something similar for Harper and Nahas, effectively swapping positions on respective lists.
Aha. Cheers.

You should be allowed to designate one senior player/rookie player swap per year without having to go through the draft.
Coaches have been calling for that for years. Not sure why it hasn't been enabled.

If you look at it by 2017 this list will have a significantly different make up. Just look at these highly likely retirements:

Retired: Harvey – Wells – Dal Santo – Petrie – Firitto – Grima – Waite – Adams – McMahon

Then you have these guys who would struggle to justify their place on the list:

Delisted/Traded: Harper – McKenzie – Dan Currie – Wallace – Warren - Tippett

Because of the significant number of potential retirements we could hang on to one or two players like McKenzie and Harper, but that still requires a significant list regeneration. That's potentially 15 list changes over 2 years, which is the most we will have had since the start of the Scott tenure.

I hope we continue to take interest in the FA pool because I think we need it. Not sure that the draft will give us what we need to stay competitive. Our top 22 look decent enough but there are many questions after that point. Guys like Jacobs, Gibson and Macmillan may not look like long term players to some, but we need to keep them on the list otherwise we will be lining up 18 year olds with picks 50+ to replace them.

I think we've decided the FA is the way to go and a team that's thereabouts puts itself in a strong position to claim these types. And of course losing the likes of Wells, Petrie and Boomer for example frees up plenty of salary cap room.

Harpers/McKenzie's are a dime-a-dozen, they look ok and we'd love them to make it, but both are running out of chances. Harper's had his knee cleaned up, not sure from what I've heard it was that bad.

McKenize can't get a game with Wells, Dal Santo, Mullet, Adams and at times McDonald out of the side, not looking good.

We're into this season up to our eye balls, we haven't played well but other results have kept us right in the hunt for a top four finish. If we fall short again I'd look at trading a couple of blokes, I don't see the point of Black, Tippet, Daw in the Magoos. Not suggesting those three are the ones to go. Although one I'd be very tempted to move on.

If Tippet is good, we could look at getting something for a regular best 22 backman.

I think they are all the likely names on the cards, although don't see Tippett being offloaded. Depending on what happens with trades and FA, we may not need any more than 3 or 4 changes to the list this year, especially with the surge of retirements from 2016. No disrespect to McMahon, Adams, Narni, who have been great North clubmen, but their retirements can't really compare to those of Petrie, Boomer, and Wells.

I wouldn't be surprised if this year saw us farewell Loose, Narni, Patch, and Currie whilst holding on to Harps and BMac for one more year. Hope the Taz and Maj signatures are sorted out smoothly too. Nahas likely to get back onto the senior list in 2016 based on what he has shown so far, perhaps try the changing places game between senior and rookie list for Nahas-Harper, although it flopped last year with Tippett-Delaney.

You're probably correct on Tippet I just don't understand having a 26 yr old in reserves who couldn't get a game with Grima and Hansen out. Robbie will sign on that I'm sure, he's changed our needs and dynamics down back, recruit of the year IMO.

We need some more outside class with pace and a small fwd with class. Swing JZ fwd permanently and he'd be AA.

Interesting times, we've the bones of a premiership side, need some more icing.

Mckenzie isn't a dime a dozen, he's got a top 5 kick in the afl. I read an article from one of the boys that said brad's fitness is the issue. Was really poor when he started. Not getting to enough contest etc. also said it has improved heaps. He's worth another pre season.

Mckenzie isn't a dime a dozen, he's got a top 5 kick in the afl. I read an article from one of the boys that said brad's fitness is the issue. Was really poor when he started. Not getting to enough contest etc. also said it has improved heaps. He's worth another pre season.

Mate with all due respect he was drafted in 2011 and has played 22 games, not hard to find footballers to equal that IMO.

Yes he can kick the ball, but he can't get a game with plenty out of the side, not looking good. Love to be proven wrong though.

I think we've decided the FA is the way to go and a team that's thereabouts puts itself in a strong position to claim these types. And of course losing the likes of Wells, Petrie and Boomer for example frees up plenty of salary cap room.

Harpers/McKenzie's are a dime-a-dozen, they look ok and we'd love them to make it, but both are running out of chances. Harper's had his knee cleaned up, not sure from what I've heard it was that bad.

McKenize can't get a game with Wells, Dal Santo, Mullet, Adams and at times McDonald out of the side, not looking good.

We're into this season up to our eye balls, we haven't played well but other results have kept us right in the hunt for a top four finish. If we fall short again I'd look at trading a couple of blokes, I don't see the point of Black, Tippet, Daw in the Magoos. Not suggesting those three are the ones to go. Although one I'd be very tempted to move on.

If Tippet is good, we could look at getting something for a regular best 22 backman.

You're probably correct on Tippet I just don't understand having a 26 yr old in reserves who couldn't get a game with Grima and Hansen out. Robbie will sign on that I'm sure, he's changed our needs and dynamics down back, recruit of the year IMO.

We need some more outside class with pace and a small fwd with class. Swing JZ fwd permanently and he'd be AA.

Interesting times, we've the bones of a premiership side, need some more icing.
Tippett would be playing now if the Tarrant experiment had flopped. He is handy backup as it stands, and wouldn't be on big coin, so I think he should stay on the list.

The Harper & McKenzie situations are real dilemmas. That old question of how long you hang on to potential. We have stuck by Taz and reaping the rewards this season (touch wood). There is nothing worse that giving a player the flick and seeing them succeed at another club. Happened a lot to us in the 2000s. And Harper's pace and BMac's foot skills are what we are screaming out for, so would understand their delisting/trading but loathe to see it happen too.

Thanks for clearing that up bos.
You should be allowed to designate one senior player/rookie player swap per year without having to go through the draft.
Agree absolutely TPA.

Players I think other clubs may target or be interested in.
Currie - Demons
Tippett - Swans
Black - Freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it would be good if we had a thread to keep track of the players' contracts.

Swallow
Atley

Thompson
Cunnington
Black
Hansen
Bastinac
Higgins (?)
MacMillan
Durdin

Dal Santo
Wells
Thomas
Ziebell
Adams
Goldstein
Garner
Gibson
Wood
Brown
Waite
Tippett
Vickers-Willis
Nielson

Petrie
McMahon
Wright
Harper
Tarrant
Mullett
McKenzie
Daw
Currie
McDonald (?)
Dumont
Harvey
Firrito
Grima
Jacobs
Turner (?)

Rookies

Wallace (cat b, 2015)

I'm updating the OP with each announcement.

Dumont has extended his contract

We have a large number of players whose contracts expire this year, but the club has been very quiet. Has anyone heard any whispers?

mcmahon, adams, Warren, Wallace and Grima are done. I personally think Daw will look at his options, I can't see us getting the best out of him anyway.

I think Firrito will go round again same with Harvey, Wells and the rest of the older brigade.

The biggest interest to me is what we do with Harper and Mckenzie. I think with this draft being so s**t its really important that we keep the both of them for another year. We've had guys who have clogged up our list with a lot less potential than those two for longer periods. Harper can go back on the rookie list.

mcmahon, adams, Warren, Wallace and Grima are done. I personally think Daw will look at his options, I can't see us getting the best out of him anyway.

I think Firrito will go round again same with Harvey, Wells and the rest of the older brigade.

The biggest interest to me is what we do with Harper and Mckenzie. I think with this draft being so s**t its really important that we keep the both of them for another year. We've had guys who have clogged up our list with a lot less potential than those two for longer periods. Harper can go back on the rookie list.

I love Mick but,
If we haven't developed a replacement for Firrito by the end of this season, you have to throw your hands in the air and yell "what the * have we been doing the last three years?" seriously it has been great that we got two years more out Mick then most on here thought was likely, but the music has to stop eventually.

and you know I would add Daw to the Harper McKenzie pile, surely he has more upside then a kid picked at 97 in a shallow draft.

Gone: Grima, McMahon, Currie, Firrito (hopefully gone), Adams, Harper (rookied or Mckenzie)
1 more year: Petrie, McKenzie, Daw, Harvey
2 more years: McDonald, Tarrant, Mullett, Jacobs, Turner
3 more years: Wright

Currie is done, Maj can be the back up ruck for one more year. Upgrade Fordham and we go into the Trade and draft period needing 5 players.
Maybe trade for Trelor and another low key GWS kid and take 3 mid range picks into a 'weak' draft. Worried I might have culled 1 too many.

It's highly likely McDonald and Turner are contracted for next year, the club never released the details of their current deals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back